Start by marking “Ruby's Chinese New Year” as Want to Read:
Ruby's Chinese New Year

Ruby's Chinese New Year

In this picture book celebrating Chinese New Year, animals from the Chinese zodiac help a little girl deliver a gift to her grandmother.

Ruby has a special card to give to her grandmother for Chinese New Year. But who will help her get to grandmother’s house to deliver it? Will it be clever Rat, strong Ox, or cautious Rabbit? Ruby meets each of the twelve zodiac animals on
Published December 26th 2017 by Henry Holt & Company

To ask other readers questions about Ruby's Chinese New Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruby's Chinese New Year

Start your review of Ruby's Chinese New Year
Sue Winson
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I was quite excited when I found this book. I couldn't see many children books around focusing on the theme of the 12 Chinese zodiac animals, so I thought this book would be a great opportunity to introduce 23-month old little-AJ to the legend of the 12 zodiac animals and the Chinese New Year tradition. Little-AJ loves the bright and lively illustrations, and happily pointing out all the animals in the pictures with smile.

But I find this book quite a disappointment. The presence of the cat is a
Colona Public Library
Ruby want to visit her Grandma...and runs into all the animals that are a part of the Chinese new year!! The illustrations in this were really colorful and adorable. The story is a simple tale where she meets all the animals and they decide to visit grandma. There is more information about the animals, Chinese new year, and a few crafts in the back of the book! Happy Year of the Dog (2018) ~Ashley
Alex  Baugh
When her grandmother gets sick and can't make it to Ruby's house to celebrate Chinese New Year, Ruby decides to bring the celebration to her. After carefully drawing a picture of her family sitting at the table eating traditional New Year's food, Ruby tucks it into a red envelope and sets off to visit her grandmother. Along the way, Ruby runs into all the animals in the Chinese zodiac who accompany her to grandmother's house. This is an appealing introduction to the Chinese Zodiac and highlights ...more
Elizabeth
4.5 stars.

This Chinese New Year story is super cute. The plot of visiting Ruby's grandmother with a gift and all her animal friends was incredibly charming. The incorporation of all the zodiac animals was really well done and serves as an excellent learning tool. The illustrations are super cute.

I definitely enjoyed this one, and I recommend it to anyone in need of a picture book for the Lunar New Year.
Michele Knott
A fun read that includes the animals in the Chinese zodiac. Do not miss the information in the back of the book to add context of the Chinese New Year.
Pam
Feb 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Ruby's grandmother cannot come for the Chinese New Year celebration this year so she creates a special gift to take to her. Along her journey she is joined by all of the Chinese Zodiak animals. Together, they arrive at grandma's home and celebrate together.
Beautiful, colorful illustrations bring the story to life.
June Jacobs
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this new picture book about a young girl's adventures as she travels to visit her grandmother for Chinese New Year. Along the way, Ruby encounters all twelve animals in the Chinese Zodiac along with one extra guest. I promise not to spoil the story by sharing the details with you. Just read it for yourself to find out why I believe children will love this book!

This story is reminiscent of the well-loved and treasured folk tales 'The Gingerbread Man' and 'The Little Red Hen'.
Lara
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I love the illustrations. Bright and colorful and adorable. I love myths, and the Chinese Zodiac is no exception (semi-related note, have adored Fruits Basket since it came out) and this included everybody (even the water to cross and the Cat sleeping through the feast). I liked the little crafts at the end, as well as the original legend. And Ruby and the animals bring out a lot of Chinese New Year traditions on their trip, which was fun talking to the kids about - special foods, dancing, etc.

T
Rachel
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it

PreS- Gr 1- Chinese New Year’s is a time for family to get together. Sadly, this year, Ruby’s grandmother isn’t able to come, and yet, instead of accepting this, Ruby decides to draw a letter and deliver it herself. Along the road to her grandmother's, this bright young girl meets animal after animal who decide to join her. Their journey does present an obstacle, but thanks to cooperation and generosity, it all ends in celebration. Readers will be able to languish in the warm-hearted tone of th
Kayla Angeletti
Sep 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a sweet book and I loved reading it! If you don't know anything about the Chinese new year think you will be just as shocked as me at The end! The theme of this book is basically about a girl going to visit her grandma to celebrate the Chinese new year with her all of bringing animals with her. Just a reminding me of the Wizard of Oz, will tell she was meeting all of the animals on her way to the house just like Dorothy! You may be wondering why she is with meeting all of these animals ...more
Andrew
If you want a perfect introductory read for the Chinese Lunar New Year, Ruby's story is perfect.
Ruby has the perfect gift for her grandmother. So she journeys across lands and a river, joining up with animals (who are on their own ways to celebrate the New Year) to be with her Grandmother. Can she make it their with her perfect gift?

The illustrations are so vivid in color and a delight in elegance and whimsy. It's impossible not to smile while reading this journey story of family-togetherness
Aolund
Ruby sets out to celebrate Chinese New Year at her grandmother's house, and meets all of the animals of the Chinese Zodiac along the way. Each brings their own skills to bear on the journey, and this makes a great cumulative tale of celebration and community.

Themes: Celebrations, Stronger Together, Animals
Age range: 3-10
Chris
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
What a nice way to introduce the twelve Chinese Zodiac animals to kids. Illustrations are extremely bright and go from edge-of-page to edge-of-page without white borders, which I love. A nice real aloud for Chinese New Year. With repetition, which is always fun.
Heidi
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Beautiful illustrations. The story left me wanting more specifics on the celebration. Included is information about the animals and legend of the Chinese zodiac and instructions for making a lantern, fan, and good luck banner.
Miss Sarah
Ruby is trying to get to grandma's house for Chinese New Year and along the way she meets lots of animal friends who are part of the Chinese Zodiac Calender. love the afterward adding tot he characters in the book. Elementary and up ...more
Dawn Austin
Apr 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-20
I'm excited to share with my students before the next Chinese New Year (follows the lunar calendar, based on the movement of the moon. Usually, it falls on a day between mid-January and mid-February). ...more
Madison
Feb 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spring-holiday
Ruby’s grandmother can not come to the family feast so she sets off to her house with a gift. Along the way she meets the animals of the Chinese zodiac. They walk with her and help her when her gift for Chinese New Year gets accidentally ruined.
Katherine
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
This book was too cute. As a lover of cats who grew up reading Fruits Basket, I loved that the Cat was included in this story, as well as the inclusion of the myth of the Chinese Zodiac at the end.
Edward Sullivan
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
The animals from the Chinese zodiac help Ruby with a delivery.
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
At first I thought it was going to be a Going on a Bear Hunt kind of book. I liked the little fun fact at the end about why cats don't like water and are enemies of rats. ...more
Melissa
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute and informative intro to this holiday.
Kara
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: myth, picture-books

A fun retelling of the Chinese zodiac calendar, turning the competitive race into a loving gathering of friends and family for a celebration.
Aliza Werner
3.5 I would have loved to hear more about the food and items that are representative symbols and traditions of Chinese New Year.
Joyce.Wang
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's wonderful book talk about chinese new year and zodiac.
Alice
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I should have read the author's note first and then I would have appreciated this story of the Chinese Zodiac better. ...more
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Introduces the animals of the Chinese zodiac as Ruby travels to celebrate Chinese New year with her grandmother.
Adynah
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lovely and just in time for Chinese New Year!
Emily Carlyn
Sep 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this easygoing, brightly illustrated story. I would have liked there to be an explanation for kids of when Chinese New Year is and what it’s meaning is.
Becca
Twelve animals from the Chinese Zodiac help a little girl deliver a gift to her grandmother; contains back matter about the animals of the zodiac.
Megan Brumley
Feb 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this retelling on how the animals got a place in the Chinese New Year calendar. It is a little repetitive with the list of all the animals over and over again.

• Eyes That Kiss in the Corners
  • Interrupting Chicken
  • Sofia Valdez, Future Prez
  • Mousetronaut: Based on a (Partially) True Story
  • When Planet Earth Was New
  • The Couch Potato (The Bad Seed, #4)

News & Interviews