Start by marking “It Only Happens in the Movies” as Want to Read:

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  7,687 ratings  ·  1,280 reviews
Audrey is over romance. Since her parents' relationship imploded her mother's been catatonic, so she takes a cinema job to get out of the house. But there she meets wannabe film-maker Harry. Nobody expects Audrey and Harry to fall in love as hard and fast as they do. But that doesn't mean things are easy. Because real love isn't like the movies...

The greatest love story ev
Published October 1st 2017 by Usborne Publishing

·  7,687 ratings  ·  1,280 reviews

Start your review of It Only Happens in the Movies
emma
Holly Bourne, where have you been all my life?

A short, by no means definitive list of just some of the literally innumerable awesome things this book contains:
- feminist criticism of romcoms
- a takedown of the bit in The Fault in Our Stars when the characters' steamy makeout happens in the Anne Frank House
- a screaming rant against the line "not like other girls"
- a powerful, badass, damaged heroine who heals herself
- and a bunch of satisfying scenes in which that heroine screams and/or gets her
Warda
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm changing my rating to a 5 stars simply because as soon as I woke up this morning, my first thoughts were of this book! I am in love!

The story was about challenging the notion of romantic-comedies or romantic movies in general. How it is not realistic, giving women false sense of security or hope and calling out the misogynistic viewpoints that are ingrained in our society.

This is exactly the type of book young girls should be reading and I love that Holly Bourne always challenges particular
jessica
Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it
not my cup of tea. as in not my first drink of choice, but i will drink it if theres nothing else.

i can understand the important message of this story and why things ended the way they did (i would have made the same choice had i been in audreys position), but its not really what i wanted to happen. but maybe thats the whole point - to show that sometimes you dont get the ending you want, but you get the ending you need.

regardless, theres just something that kept me from truly connecting with
Aj the Ravenous Reader

“You can’t help your feelings. But you can choose what to do about them.

I am literally standing up right now, wildly clapping my hands in frenzied adoration and reverence to that most wonderful, powerful conclusion to a supposedly romantic story. Seriously. I could still feel goosebumps all over. Just *sighs*

But wait, did I just say romantic? I guess I did even though the main purpose of the book is to contradict everything about romantic movies. It’s actually a blatant deconstr
chan ☆
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-contemporary, 2018
i'm just going to eternally scream into the aether about how viscerally satisfying this book was

this story is about what is essentially audrey's senior year of high school (i say essentially cause hoe is british) and the life changes that are happening to her. her father has left her mother for another woman. her brother is away at uni. her ex dumped her pretty savagely. and there's a new guy at work that she's kind of crushing on.

unfortunately, the most satisfying part of this book is also the
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Maybe more of a 3.5? It was mega feminist and I really liked the ending but honestly the plot itself was a little boring. Meh

TW: drug use, depression, divorce
Emer (A Little Haze)
I have so many feels about this book. SO MANY!!!!

I think it's fair to say that Holly Bourne has fast-tracked her way to the title of my favourite YA contemporary author as this is the second book by her that I have enjoyed in recent days.

I love rom-coms. They are my absolute favourite type of film to watch. My personal favourites are any of those Richard Curtis ones with Hugh Grant playing a foppishly dashing leading man! Heck my dog is even named after a dog from a rom-com (Brinkley in You've
Kate (GirlReading)
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5* There’s no denying my love for Holly Bournes writing style, it’s incredibly easy and comfortable to read. The way she writes feminism into her books is always a winner and her humour is so brilliantly British. I’m also always all for anything to do with movies in books, so the concept for this book instantly had me hooked and I expected to adore it. However, I didn’t love this as much as I’d anticipated and to be honest, I can’t quite put my finger on why just yet. I didn’t totally warm to ...more
Beth
Spoiler Free Review

5 PERFECT STARS!

Trigger Warning: Mental Health, Substance Abuse, possible Self Harm

To begin, I got this in my bookboxclub subscription and for the month of November I've only been reading books from my subscriptions. I've found some really really good reads and this is 1000000% included! Honestly I'm so surprised by how much I enjoyed this.

What I liked so much is how it challenges the representation of romance throughout films (I'm also going to include books as well) and how
Sara➽ Ink Is My Sword
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
RTC.

That ending made me feel so bittersweet.

For more book reviews, bookish things, top 10s, book tags visit me on Ink Is My Sword🌸

💭Pre-reading thoughts:

My first Holly Bourne book!!! If this is not a success I am gonna be disappointed.

Buddy-read with the summer to my winter💛
Patricia Crowther
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked how this showed 'real' relationships. How difficult and messy and just downright awful they can be. Exactly the bits we don't see in the movies or in a novel even. I completely agreed with many of the points raised, particularly about those using social media to shout about how wonderful their relationship is. Which is a major pet peeve of mine. Who are they even trying to convince?

Anyway, overall I thought it was a great reflection on all things relationship, first love, betrayal
Kate (beautifulbookland)
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
So I’m gonna be brutally honest and say that this book right here was a cover buy, for the simple fact that I didn’t have very many yellow books for my Bookstagram rainbow pictures and it was low-key stressing me out.

I’m happy to announce, though, that It Only Happens in the Movies was delightful, and my cover buy paid off. And now I have yellow books to use in my pictures, so it’s a win all round really.

Not only does Audrey have a pretty difficult home life (thanks to her dad for leaving their
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
A romance set in a Cinema? Um, heck yes!

Audrey is tired of romance movies after her parents dealing with their messy divorce. In her final year of studies before going to Uni, she lives alone with her Mum who is mentally struggling to cope with all of the stress. To save some money up, Audrey finds work at a local cinema and meets Harry who loves making his movies. Both have some hidden secrets of their own that over time, start to be revealed as important life decisions have to be made... The p
Nina
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
It Only Happens in the Movies was such a fun read and I really enjoyed the book. Especially the ending was a part I really liked as it was quite surprising but fit the story very well.

Overall, this was a perfect summer read and I definitely can't wait to read more books by Holly Bourne in the future.

instagram || my blog || twitter
Sara
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
No one does it like Bourne.
grace louise
This book is just bloody brilliant. End of story.
EmBibliophile
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
4.25 ‘true romance’ stars

Why love is never like the movies?

So apparently love and romance aren’t like the movies! Surprise surprise!!
Ladies and gentlemen welcome to the book that deal with true life romance, with all its highs and lows. Without sugarcoating it. Without showing you the happy fluffy side of things only. This book show you true life romance. It shows you how to choose yourself, to love yourself first. Something many girls would relate to.

Because you always leave a little piece of
Nicole

5 stars !!

This book got me !! I was all over the place: happy, sad, feeling butterflies, laughing out loud, the pain and embarasment. It got it all! This book was good and sad at the same time and well written! I couldn't stop reading!
- warning tearjerker -

“Shit, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry," I yelped.
Harry was rubbing his jaw. "What was that?"
My keys were in my fingers, my back was to him. I fumbled with the lock. I had to get out of here. Oh my God, I'd tried t
Inge
Such a brilliant take on romantic movie clichés. Also, zombies.
Yoda
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Its a story about Audrey, who because of a heartbreak became a bit of cynic. She starts working in a movie theater and that´s when things start to change.

Audreys character was a bit annoying at the beginning, she changed her whole life just to avoid her ex-boyfriend. Its not something I can imagine doing myself.
To be honest for about 50 pages I was hating this book. There were two possible endings and I absolutely loved the one she went with. If she did anything else I would have no faith in H
Laura Tenfingers
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, ya
All possible stars plus a few more on top! OMG! I loved this book more than I could have possibly anticipated. The characters were perfectly developed, believable and I spent A LOT of time gushing over Harry. But the message!!! OMG! Beautifuly done! (view spoiler) ...more
rebecca ☕️
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
YALL NEED TO READ THIS!! rtc
Antonia
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Love isn't just a feeling. Love is a choice too. And you may not be able to help your feelings, but you are responsible for the choices you make about what to do with them.”

This is it. The book I will not, physically can not, shut up about ever in my life. It is perfect! Holly Bourne didn't have to go that far for us but she did and for that i'm forever thankful.

It Only Happens In The Movies is a satiric, feminist look upon romance movies in a fictive way. Audrey meets Harry and he's the clich
Sinéad
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, 2017-reads, 3-stars
I've got so many thoughts on this book, where do I even begin?

First off, I am a hardcore lover of romance movies, books, shows etc. So, you might be wondering why a girl like me would even pick up a book that smacks down the notion of romance movies and how they can be full of empty promises and realistic scenarios. Well, this is exactly what intrigues me, as I'll be the first to admit that 90% of romance movies are a tad unrealistic but I think that's what makes me love them. As a sucker for a
Abbie (boneseasonofglass)
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
I really enjoyed this book. Holly writes such honest books with real stories and it's just brilliant to read
LydiaMae
I like the easy/quick read of this book, and wanna read more from Bourne because of that, but i honestly felt annoyed sometimes that the book would call out movies on stereotypes/clichés and then preceed to use the same cliché...
To use the expression, having its cake and eating it.
I also want to point out that no one (of age at least) believes romance movies are realistic/how it's like in real life - but honestly, that's why people watch them. To escape real life.
K.
Trigger warnings: parent with mental health problems, self harm, alcohol abuse, dubious consent in flashbacks, zombies.

3.5 stars.

I was super excited when I heard there was a new Holly Bourne book coming out, because the Spinster Club trilogy is absolutely phenomenal and I love everything about it. So I jumped straight into this one, hoping for more of the same.

And I did kind of get more of the same. But I also...didn't. There's definitely plenty of feminism here. Audrey's sick of the classic
Sydni
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owsogood
Taylor
It's been almost a month since I read this and I'm still unclear how to voice my feelings toward this book.

I love the cover. I love the concept. I love the movie tie-ins. I love that this ended how it should have. I love that it subverts the tropes.

Ultimately its necessary. Stories like this are needed to shed a light on healthy relationships.

All that being said...I still felt torn. Maybe it's the conditioning...I don't know.

Like I said, it's been a month and I still seek resolution. Full RT
Jasmine
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LOVED THIS BOOK. And loved the ending even more.

• Good Girl, Bad Blood (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #2)
  • Sirpale
  • Merikki
  • Ihana tyttö
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • Beautiful Broken Things (Beautiful Broken Things, #1)
  • A Quiet Kind of Thunder
  • Sydän kylmänä (Isadella, #1)
  • Meat Market
  • Kesämyrsky
  • Floored
  • Goodbye, Perfect
  • Unconventional
  • Call It What You Want
  • What's up, elämä
  • The Flatshare
  • The Start of Me and You (The Start of Me and You, #1)
  • Suojaava kerros ilmaa
Holly started her writing career as a news journalist, where she was nominated for Best Print Journalist of the Year. She then spent six years working as an editor, a relationship advisor, and general ‘agony aunt’ for a youth charity – helping young people with their relationships and mental health.

Inspired by what she saw, she started writing teen fiction, including the best-selling, award-winni