Start by marking “American Gods: Shadows #1 (Neil Gaiman's American Gods: The Shadows)” as Want to Read:
American Gods: Shadows #1 (Neil Gaiman's American Gods: The Shadows)

American Gods: Shadows #1

(Neil Gaiman's American Gods: The Shadows #1)

WAR IS COMING!

Shadow Moon just got out of jail, only to discover his wife is dead. Defeated, broke, and uncertain as to where to go from here, he meets the mysterious Mr. Wednesday, who employs him to serve as his bodyguard—thrusting Shadow into a deadly world of the supernatural, where ghosts of the past come back from the dead, and a brewing war between old and new gods
Published March 15th 2017 by Dark Horse

To ask other readers questions about American Gods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Gods

Gabrielle
I was going to wait for these to come out in a collection, but I happened to be at the comic book store in Brockport and they had the first 6 issues on the shelf, with the P. Craig Russell covers. Sorry, credit card…

I love “American Gods”: it is easily one of my top ten favorite books of all times, and P. Craig Russell knows just how to turn Neil Gaiman’s words into beautiful illustrations (just see “Murder Mysteries” ), so I definitely picked this up with a favorable prejudice. But as you may k
Ona
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
3,5/5 stars.

Neil Gaiman is a brilliant storyteller. Although artwork was not really appealing... and so far as I know story is not different from novel itself or TV show.

I highly recommend to watch a TV show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyoXU... it's so aesthetically pleasing work of art and actors are fabulous. Just try it.
Fran
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Story good, naturally. Art not so good. I'm not feeling Scott Hampton's work on this. A shame.
Andrew
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Full review: https://midnightvoltage.wordpress.com...

4.5/5.

I had seen a lot of negative reviews about this online, and I don't really understand why. Yes, it's a very literal adaptation, but Gaiman's prose is so good and works so well I didn't mind. I guess in that sense this is less of a comic and more of an illustrated novel, because the art doesn't really add anything new to the story, but just sort of enhances the words--which I'm fine with.

The only negative thing for me was actually the ar
Patrick Krasniewski
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this last night. Faithful adaptation of the novel (read it though!). Can't wait for the Starz series (read the book though; was fortunate to have it handed to me many years ago!). Was a big fan of mythology... it helps; not necessary. Gaiman is a magical storyteller.
Vignesh Kumar
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have read the book and watched the TV series. Now, I have read the first issue of the graphic novel.
It was good. I don't like the art though!
Rachel Slocombe
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I didn't like how Mr Wednesday looked and the art, especially people's faces, wasn't polished enough. The side story worked better in the format than the main Shadow/Wednesday story.
We'll see how it goes
Stacy
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-for-work
I really enjoyed the novel, though it has been many years since I read it. Still, the plot remains with me in most aspects and I went into this adaption very pleased with how the creative team chose to present the story. The art is good, fitting the dreary position that Shadow is now in. The pacing is good, and what narration they've used is beautiful. What surprised me was my disappointment at the follow-up. I love Russell's work and there is nothing inherently wrong with it. I still could not ...more
Brigi
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Huge fan of Neil Gaiman and AG, so I had to get the comics too (though I'm getting them very slowly).

Not that crazy about the art tbh. I wish David Mack (who does the variant covers) would do the whole comic, his style is absolutely amazing.
David
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Maybe 2.5 stars - a significant aspect is my disinclination to supernatural fiction. The picture of the world is unique, there are good aspects to the writing. It wasn't such an effort to finish it despite the length, but I care more about "the picture" than the "brushstrokes."

The premise is that over the centuries as various peoples came to North America, their belief in / worship of ancient gods caused those gods to exist in America. Over time, belief / worship for these gods waned and these g
Naomi
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
The imagery in this book is macabre and beautiful and I liked being able to immerse myself for a few hours a day in Gaiman's world.
I especially enjoyed the origin stories for the old Gods and the new, and I loved anytime
Laura stepped into the story. A few of my friends thought American Gods had a lot of downtime between action with Shadow's time spent undercover or driving, but I really loved that aspect of the story. Seeing the "behind the scenes" and the "in-between."
It was interesting to s
Brandi Mattison
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant!

If you like Neil Gaiman, you'll love this comic. The story is enchanting. The art is vivid and juicy. The characters are instantly engrossing. I highly recommend it.
Ana
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A faithful adaptation to the corresponding portion of the book with an artwork style that compliments the story's tone.
Michael Cook
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This first issue of Dark Horse Comics' adaptation of American Gods covers essentially the entire first chapter of the book without any deviation. Much of the narration from the book is kept in the comic, done as word boxes on panels describing the action. The artwork itself is good. It's definitely a style you have to get used to, but once you get used to it it's really quite beautiful.

In terms of writing, it doesn't seem like P. Craig Russell has done much aside from copy and abridge the origin
Savindi
Amazing start. Art was great not much the drawings. Very beautiful.
Costin Manda
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Another really nice book I am glad I readlistened to. In 2001 Neil Gaiman published this book, American Gods, and then,ten years later, a special tenth anniversary edition, with the "author's preferred text" and including an additional 12,000 words, was published by William Morrow in June 2011. Both versions of the book were adapted to audiobooks, the first just narrated, the second with a full (and talented) cast. This second version I listened to, on YouTube no less. Long story short, I liked ...more
Carly Krewitsky
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was confusing. Shadow is a man who is being released from prison. We never learn why he was in prison in the first place. Before he is released, he finds out that his wife Laura has died in a car accident. The job that is awaiting him outside of prison is now gone because the man who was going to hire him to work for him is now dead (he was in the car crash with Laura). A mysterious man named Mr. Wednesday hires Shadow to work for him. Mr. Wednesday wants Shadow to protect him. Mr. Wed ...more
Amy
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I love American Gods. Turning it into a graphic novel is genius. That said, this GN is pretty text heavy, mostly verbatim from the book. Which is fine. If I hadn’t read the book in a while and I wanted a quick visual read, this would be great. But I read the book pretty recently, so I pretty much skimmed and just focused on the art. Which was good. Not my favorite, but good. But the chapter covers? I’m pretty GN illiterate, but the art at the beginning of each chapter that is different that the ...more
Susan J.
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't often read fantasy. This is the second Neil Gaimen book I have read. I listened to it. It was the 10th anniversary edition recording with full cast. I enjoyed it because it was different for me. Sometimes too violent and strange sex. I liked Shadow, Wednesday, Laura and Sam. I do not have a very good background in Norse Gods, which would have helped. I did understand the gods of tv, cars, and media to name a few of the new American gods. I will consider more fantasy.
Aron
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-issues
Wow! A truly great first issue! I've never read the book & don't know anything about what it's supposed to be about. So I'm starting this series with just a big question mark. There was alot of story in this first issue & the writing was excellent, the artwork is pretty good but I wish it was a little sharper but that's ok because between the story & the characters I'm hooked. Looking forward to the next issue with great anticipation, highly recommend!
Lisa Macklem
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Is this an adaptation of the new tv series or the novel? I've seen the first episode of the show and not read the novel, so can only comment on the relationship to the show. So far, it's a pretty faithful adaptation of the show - though clearly not using the faces of the cast. Lovely art and a great story - exactly what you'd expect from those involved. Looking forward to more.
Eilish
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
The art style is a bit weird and it took me awhile to get into it but once I got in the groove I liked it.
My major complaint is the artists didn’t seem to comprehend Brown. Every character is either white or black even ones who they explicitly discuss in the text being somewhere between those two.

The changing art style for the different histories was really nice
Casey Anderson
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had higher hopes but then, of course I would. It might have been 3 stars but how can you not give an extra star for that last section? Was floored by that part in the book and the visual of the comic certainly adds to it.
Theresa
I probably would have rated this higher...but then I watched the television show. This comic doesn't do justice to either the original novel or the TV show (which is a little surprising). However, I will buy them, I will read them, and I will like them.
Ivan
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very interesting plot with pretty strange background of book - most of heroes here are gods in real life. Author try to show us that they are actually similar to us, live "normal life" and interact with each other.
Definitely would read again.
Gadir
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly amazing and fascinating book. If you want to know more about invisible and forgotten gods, this book should be your first choice. "This is place is not for gods", one of the best and powerful sentence from this novel.
NaTaya Hastings
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Have to say, they could have done a bit of a better job on the artwork with the vagina at the end. Not sure exactly what that looked like, but it certainly did NOT look like a vagina.
Eric
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
not that the book needed any help, but the first collection of the comic series brings the characters to life even more.
R. L. Carlo
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved the book, so how could I pass up reading the graphic novel? It’s cool to reread the story in a different format.
Patrick
May 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was under the impression this was supposed to have new stories. So far, nothing really new so much as a slightly different version of the book and the show.

Meh.

• Black Panther #6
  • Moonstruck #1
  • Runaways #7
  • Dark Avengers: Omnibus

Neil Gaiman's American Gods: The Shadows (9 books)
  • American Gods: Shadows #2 (Neil Gaiman's American Gods: The Shadows)
  • American Gods: Shadows #3 (Neil Gaiman's American Gods: The Shadows)
  • American Gods: Shadows #4 (Neil Gaiman's American Gods: The Shadows)
  • American Gods: Shadows #5 (Neil Gaiman's American Gods: The Shadows)
  • American Gods: Shadows #6 (Neil Gaiman's American Gods: The Shadows)
  • American Gods: Shadows #7 (Neil Gaiman's American Gods: The Shadows)
  • American Gods: Shadows #8 (Neil Gaiman's American Gods: The Shadows)
  • American Gods: Shadows #9 (Neil Gaiman's American Gods: The Shadows)
“I'm a has-been. Who the fuck cares about me?"
Shadow said softly, "You're a god."
Wednesday looked at him sharply. He seemed about to say something, and then slumped back in his seat, and looked down at the menu, and said, "So?"
"It's a good thing to be a god," said Shadow.
"Is it?" asked Wednesday, and this time it was Shadow who looked away.”
1 likes