Start by marking “Things She Could Never Have” as Want to Read:
Things She Could Never Have

Things She Could Never Have

Accomplished, sensitive, and often disturbing, these stories take us into the lives of modern Pakistanis—privileged and poor, gay, trans, and straight, men and women, in Karachi and Toronto. “Whisperings of the Devil” takes us into the mind of a mistreated maidservant’s boy who gets seduced into the role of a suicide bomber. In “To Allah We Pray,” two privileged and ...more
Paperback
Published October 6th 2017 by Mawenzi House Publishers Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Things She Could Never Have, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Things She Could Never Have

Start your review of Things She Could Never Have
Saif Sayed
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"The heart, you see, is strong. It recovers so that it may break again."
-- Tehmina Khan, Things She Could Never Have.

An exquisite collection of short stories, some interlinked with the other, portraying the lives of modern Pakistanis and cultural norms of society. Some heart warming while some evocative, agonizing, making the readers ponder over things which is often overlooked by the society and people living in it.

Each story is written profoundly well, showing maturity in the writing. While
Amie's Book Reviews
I am aware that the stories contained within this wonderfully written collection are fiction, but it is all too easy to see that they contain at least a degree of truth.

First-time author TEHMINA KHAN has crafted tales that are so believable that you will find yourself wondering if some of them are actually non-fiction. This is the mark of a truly talented writer.

In the story, BORN ON THE FIRST OF JULY, parents of a Canadian born young woman are shocked when she leaves to join ISIS. They
Aubrey Davis
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Heartfelt courageous, often disturbing, Tehmina Khan’s tales illuminate and reveal Pakistani people most of us never imagine. Her stories provoked all kinds of thoughts & feelings and, like mirrors, they helped me see them too. Things She Could Never Have is a book well worth reading and Tehmina Khan is an author well worth watching.
Sarmistha
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rating:4.5

Treasuring the bits of memories,She learnt to live her life in parts and pieces.

A thought provoking,moving,powerful collection of short stories emoting the lives of natives of Pakistan and immigrants belonging to all walks of life.It gives us a peek into the modern society which is still dictated by ancient rusted norms.The tales brings forth pain of the many Nosheens who constantly battle on both fronts to survive,Saleemas and Kirans who yearns for acceptance and respect. An eye
Read.Dream.Repeat.Blogger
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Things she could never have
Tehmina Khan
Mawenzi House
2017. Pp-121

This is a collection of 12 most beautifully written short stories, stories that take you into their own magic world of words, where it's hard to come back from.

From one story to another, you find yourself deeper into your thoughts and the heaviness in you grows with every page

In some stories, the characters, & the places the characters come from & the events around them, are all interwoven.
The character from the first story
Prerna Mishra
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it

“Home is not the place where you were born or where you grew up, nor family, the people you were born to or grew up around; rather, home is the place that makes you feel that you belong, and family are the people who accept you as theirs.”

This is short story collection about Pakistanis, either native or immigrants. Some stories are related, but most are standalone. The stories are drawn from different walks of life. A young boy becomes a terrorist to support his family, another girl becomes
Siddhi Palande
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read the book review on www.ofbookbabiesandmore.wordpress.com
Zaufeshan|Life Spent Reading|
4.5/5!

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this one.
My thoughts are up on Life Spent Reading.Link in bio.
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Twelve stories about the trauma and everyday suffering of women in modern Pakistan. The characters range from the mother of a young boy who is recruited to the Taliban, to a young trans woman who steals from shops rather than express her anger when she experiences discrimination, to a young woman welcoming home from Canada her long-time crush, to a young woman who abandons her family to join ISIS, to a girl who is taught that being sexually assaulted by a teacher is her own fault, to a woman who ...more
Suanne
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful collection of short stories. The first few stories are tied together by a suicide bombing at a Karachi mosque. The others look at modern Pakistanis living in Canada and in Pakistan, with protagonists ranging from rich to poor, straight to gay to trans to a suicide bomber. Ms. Khan writes with a sensitive hand as she chronicles the daily lives of multiple levels of Pakistani society, including the sex lives of college girls. As a former resident of Pakistan, I felt at home within ...more
Anum Hamid
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
'I am a woman and have better stories to tell '
I wanted this book since last year and the anticipation and want was worth it. The book is a set of 12 short stories, set in different settings. The book is not like other books about a certain class or the clash of poor or rich. The stories touch different segments of life, they talk about an old widow remembering her husband and the offset of partition to a trans women finding her home to be strangers land. The stories are so diverse and at the
Lisa Nikolits
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Powerful, rich, evocative and heartbreaking, Things She Could Never Have is filled with memorable stories about religion, gender, marriage, family, country and culture.

In this exquisite collection of short stories, life’s toughest issues are deftly tackled with finesse, sensitivity, compassion and empathy.

Presented from various points of view, the inter-connectedness of some of the pieces satisfies the reader’s desire to know more, to know what happened, and I found myself wishing for more ‘
Nasir Khan
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book.
Rumsha A • Storiesandplottwists
Things She Could Never Have is a collection of short stories on people based in Pakistan and Canada. It highlights numerous important aspects of the modern societies and the cultural norms of Pakistan.

Tehmina Khan succeeds in creating a curious atmosphere throughout her book. Her endings are immediate, and it leaves the readers curious and curiouser still.

Twice I wanted to email the author to ramble and know what happened, to please let me in on the secret of the immediate endings. I'm still
Lynn
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed these stores because they enveloped me into the lives of the characters and all the details and difficulties of their lives, and in doing so created understanding and empathy for the characters that would not have been possible otherwise.
A thoroughly engaging and edifying read!
Thank you!
Amal Abdullah
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A really great read. Will put it on faves list
Mary Billinghurst
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
There is much to like about this collection of stories - interesting situations and characters and an authentic sense of the Pakistani culture. I would have liked more arc to the plots, however. Many stories left me hanging.
Nadira
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
#NadirasPointOfReview: Things She Could Never Have by Tehmina Khan.

This thin book is a collection of short stories that take us into the lives of modern Pakistanis—privileged and poor, gay, trans, and straight, men and women, in Karachi and Toronto. It touches on stories of a suicide bomber, sexual abuse and what it means to be trans in a society that only understands black and white. The stories deal with the complexities of a sometimes troubled and often misrepresented Muslim society.

I read
Andrea
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
4/5
I learned so much from the limited pages of this short story collection. Other people’s cultures and ways of living is so interesting to me & that’s mostly the #1 reason I read. If you feel the same way please read this collection!
Tooba Akhtar
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4.5 Stars

I have never been very enthusiastic about short stories in English. While I love reading Urdu short stories, somehow English short stories have never held any fascination for me. Furthermore, contemporary Pakistani writers have, with the exception of one or two, always left me disappointed. It was these two factors that made me wary of reading this collection of short stories. In addition to all this, the biggest stress factor was that the writer, Tehmina Khan, is a new friend,
Carla Castanos
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it
“Home is not the place where you were born or where you grew up, nor family the people you were born to or grew up around; rather, home is the place that makes you feel that you belong, and family are the people who accept you as theirs”. - Tehmina Khan, All The Things She Could Never Have.

Representation matters. As people of difference, we have come to care so much about how we carry ourselves, the stories we tell because we know that we carry our communities over our shoulders. It will never
Mawenzi House
Oct 27, 2018
Becca Britten
Mar 17, 2018

• Naija Love Stories: Delve Into Twelve Tales Naija-Style Love
  • The Funeral Director (NHB Modern Plays)
  • Patsy
  • The Red Pony
  • America's Dream
  • Come Together, Fall Apart
  • The Story of Stuff: How Our Obsession with Stuff is Trashing the Planet, Our Communities, and our Health—and a Vision for Change
  • Canícula: Snapshots of a Girlhood en la Frontera
Tehmina Khan was born in Karachi, Pakistan, and holds degrees from Kinnaird College, Lahore, and Faculté des Sciences Humaines et Sociales de Tunis. She has her home in Toronto, where she lives with her husband, two children, and dog, Luna. She is currently working on retelling seven stories from 1001 Nights. Her collection of short stories, Things She Could Never have, was published by Mawenzi ...more