Start by marking “The Long Past & Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Long Past & Other Stories

The Long Past & Other Stories

1858 - Warring mages open up a vast inland sea that splits the United States in two. With the floodwaters come creatures from a long distant past. What seems like the End Times forges a new era of heroes and heroines who challenge tradition, law, and even death as they transform the old west into a new world.

In the heart of dinosaur country a laconic trapper and a veteran
Published October 3rd 2017 by Blind Eye Books

Start your review of The Long Past & Other Stories
Mir
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent. The first, longest novella was my favorite. Grove is maybe my favorite Hale character after Sykes and Harper from Wicked Gentlemen, whom I would love to see more of. I'd like to see more of Grove and Lawrence, too, if only to get to know Lawrence better. I'd also love to read more about the secondary character Lady Astor (how did she get so good at impersonations, for instance?). Fun stuff. ...more
Chris, the Dalek King
Historical Western Steampunk with Dinosaurs…need I say more?

Well, ok. I guess I can say a bit more.

Lately it has felt like I haven’t read anything really unique in quite some time. Sure there have been some good stories, but it has been a while since I’ve looked at a book and gone…well, didn’t see that coming. That is pretty much what happened when I saw the cover for this story, though. It is kinda exciting when you open a book and honestly have no clue what it is hidden in the pages below you.
G.
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
So good, and that's not much of a surprise, because Ginn Hale's work is quite amazing.

This book collects a novella and two short stories set in the same world, which is an alternative version of 19th century United States. There's some interesting changes to familiar territories, magic and bonus prehistoric animals. Yes, there are dinosaurs. Ginn Hale is really good at worldbuilding. I would love a novel set in this world, because it feels ripe with stories that want to be told.

The novella is
Vivian
Feb 15, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: own
The mount on the cover reminds me of chocobos from Final Fantasy; I had a whole victory dance choreographed that I could do on it. Love my chocobo.

Yes, that was a deciding factor in my purchase. Plus the sale price. AND Hale is a great read.
Lisa The Novel Approach
Who but Ginn Hale would think to weave together the 19th century Western frontier, an alternative America bisected by a great Inland Sea which has done away with much of the Midwest and Southern states, a place where magic and clockwork technology intersect, and then introduce prehistoric beasts to the mix? I can’t even with this author’s seemingly infinite supply of imagination, and there’s a reason I have long said I worship at the altar of it. Yes, I’m an unapologetic fangirl.

The Long Past &
~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~
★★★★☆ ~ 4 Stars
Three short stories comprise this anthology (Get Lucky has been expanded in this anthology, I originally read it in the Once Upon A Time in the West anthology).

The Long Past Assumed dead Lawrence returns to close the last rift and reconnect with his boyhood friend and first love, Grover. They have a second chance to build a long life if only Lawrence can survive repairing the rift. Grove is quite his own character, taming a ridingbird dinosaur and is probably some sort of a mage i
Ami
Won this from Ginn Hale on a Facebook Giveaway

3.75 stars rounded up

While I might not always understand this universe, as well as the mage/magical plot but I am rounding this up because of the idea. It's so fuc*ing cool and I don't think I've read it anywhere before.

The Long Past and Get Lucky both featured second-chance romance trope. The romance was sweet and tender, I loved it when the love interest call the other "darling". Get Lucky first published in Once Upon a Time in the Weird We
Aldi
-“Hey, whatcha reading?”
-“Oh, just your basic American Old West alternative history/steampunk fantasy with magic and airships and alchemy and dinosaurs and time travel in a 19th century landscape rearranged by a magically induced cataclysmic event that introduced prehistoric creatures and flooded half the world, with a bit of a mystery/adventure story and exploration of how this changed world affects 19th century pioneering society and leads to an alternative history of emancipation in oppressed
Xing
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I usually shy away from anthologies and short stories, but I had to take a deep breath and trust Ginn Hale to not lead me astray. I was not disappointed, and only wished these stories were longer (i.e. full novel-length).

The Long Past is an introduction to this alternative, historical-fantasy/science fiction story that blends alchemy, magic and the space-time continuum. The world building is Ginn Hale's strength and I find myself absolutely lost (in the GOOD WAY) to this fascinating world. The c
Antonella
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This review is long due because thanks to Nicole's and Ginn's kindness I got a paper copy much in advance to the publication date. On the other side, it always takes a while for me to write a review of Ginn's books, because I feel it has to reflect how astoundingly great her work is, and that's difficult.
I liked the fact that even though there are several stories here, there are only three of them, which makes them quite ''meaty''. The universe is the same, the US Wild West in a steampunk settin
Bellbomb Bellbomb
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another winner from Ginn Hale! It never ceases to amaze me how she can still come up with fresh new subject matters and world-building in every one of her new novels even after all of the books she has written. Highly recommended!
Rial
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was quite fun; loved the world conceit, and I enjoyed that each story followed the previous one to some extents. A very cohesive read, with good compact stories.
Leah
A brilliant combination of alternative, supernatural history with steampunk elements, while it retained much of the culture that existed within the time period. There is, unfortunately, racism, misogyny, queermisia, and more, but they were all textually challenged through the main characters, and several of the supporting characters.

Check out the full review on my blog!
Filipa
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peter Tillman
Ginn Hale on science in fantasy:

"Whenever I get together with fellow fantasy authors, I’m always surprised by how many of us actually love science. From rhapsodizing about chiral forms of chemicals to discussing the life cycles of fungi, we can be a very, very geeky bunch. And it’s not unusual for some scientific trivia or discovery to spark an idea for a story. (New finds showing the extent to which many dinosaurs were feathered certainly informed my book
Alexia
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent imaginative book. The author should be much more popular than her current status. I think she is not promoting herself enough. Read this book - a true gem.
Amy Aelleah
The Long Past
I enjoyed this story but something just felt a little off. I mean, it was fun and I already knew enough about the world that it was interesting to find out how the rifts became things. (And I like the dinosaurs and mages and how it's really just a mix of things that you don't usually find together.) I can't even begin to guess what my problem was because I like the story and I liked the characters.

The Hollow History of Professor Perfectus
I don't know how to rate this story. Did I en
Warren Rochelle
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm imagining Ginn Hale and her wife hanging out one afternoon, drinking coffee. They start talking about the Weird West and its stories, and one of them said: what kind of world, what kind of Weird West, would there be if magic was real? Suppose the practitioners of this magic, mages, wage war, and this war results in " a vast inland sea that splits the United States in two. With the floodwaters come creatures from a long distant past. What seems like the End Times forges a new era of heroes an ...more
Chris Hayes
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was going into this book expecting something light hearted that poked fun at common alternative history tropes.

What I wasn't expecting was finding 3 stories that take place years apart in a world that I would fall in love with.

I would love to see a full series set in this world. I want to see more on how people adapt to the dinosaurs, how magic is used in the world, and how people deal with the growing tech that combines magic and science.

It'll be one of the handful of books I read this yea
Lou
I did enjoy reading this collection of stories. The strongest by far was The Long Past, the novella and first story in the book. Dinosaurs? Magic? The Wild West? Queer romance? Lots of diversity? All really good stuff. The other two stories were a little weaker. The second story was a solid tale, but without the dinosaurs or Wild West setting - the elements I really enjoyed about the novella - it seemed more generic steam punk. I don’t think it would have stuck out if the collection has more sto ...more
Shymsal
I love Ginn Hale and this set (1 short novel and 2 short stories) just reminded me why. Interesting world-building, a deft hand at creating characters that feel real within the space of a few paragraphs, and an admirable ability to wrap plot and description together in an organic way. I really loved these! Only two niggling problems. One, in the third story there's a time jump that glosses over an important development that I wish the reader could have taken part in, not had presented after the ...more
S.A. Crow
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So interesting, so inventive, so much feeling in these stories. Love the setting - Wild West & dinosaurs & steampunk & magic & the Chicago's World Exposition!

Actually, I'm kind of in awe of these stories, how she builds this world and it deepens with each story while at the same time I think each one could stand on its own, and how she weaves the relationship with the action.

I've tried reading her longer books and been a bit overwhelmed by them (even as they're glorious) - so it was grand to ha
Johanna
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Yet another awesome Ginn Hale book filled with fascinating creatures and great stories. There's no one who can build the worlds like her!

I finished reading the book weeks ago, but I still catch myself thinking of Grover and Lawrence, Ashni and Geula every once in a while. And how about Betty, Romeo and King Douglass—my favorite dinosaurs ever! I highly recommend to find out who are these people and creatures I'm talking about.

Five shining wild, weird, Old West stars!

Catherine
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Weird West-steampunk-dinosaur-postapocalyptic-fantastical-romantic adventures with gay and lesbian protagonists? Sign me up! Hale is a terrific writer and this collection is no exception on that front. These three tales are full of a memorable and diverse cast of characters and the world building creates a unique setting, one I’ve never seen before in sf/f. I really enjoyed this and hope she does more with these characters in this world.
Celia Yost
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There was a scene feathered theropods doing bird of paradise dancing. I am the target audience of this book in a very specific way.

Bonus points for a weird west book that dealt with not having a Civil War...by completely destroying the South in a different way, AND while not handwaving away racism.
Amanda Davidson
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Gays, dinosaurs, magic, cowboys, happy endings, what more could you want? It’s incredibly well written, the world building was amazing, the characters fantastic, this is easily a new favorite, and I need more!
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
The first story was the only new one to me. The other two I remember from an anthology. Excellent stories regardless. I enjoyed the sci-fi/fantasy setting and the alternate history approach.
Aussie54
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Based on first and last story ... I didn't read the middle one, as I'm not keen on f/f stories. I may come back to it later.
Tinnean
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting stories, and I liked Get Lucky best of all. (I would have liked more about Lucky, but it is what it is.)

Really fascinating world-building.

• Slippery Creatures (The Will Darling Adventures #1)
  • Hither, Page (Page & Sommers, #1)
  • Devil Take Me
  • Band Sinister
  • Any Old Diamonds (Lilywhite Boys #1)
  • Prince of Air and Darkness (The Darkest Court, #1)
  • Salt Magic, Skin Magic
  • Spellbound (Magic in Manhattan, #1)
  • The Lost Future of Pepperharrow (The Watchmaker of Filigree Street, #2)
  • Spectred Isle (Green Men, #1)
  • The Monuments Men Murders (The Art of Murder #4)
  • Unfit to Print
  • Hexhunter (Hexworld #4)
  • Hexslayer (Hexworld, #3)
  • Mainly by Moonlight (Bedknobs and Broomsticks, #1)
  • Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • The Henchmen of Zenda