Start by marking “Rage” as Want to Read:

Rage

When our own darkness is mirrored in multi-faceted characters, do we look away in disgust or find the humanity within them and, by extension, ourselves? In his debut short fiction collection, John Mavin has slyly exposed hidden themes to the world with breathtaking potency, eloquence, and wit.

Rage follows a loosely interwoven group of people from the fictional town of Dols
Paperback
Published October 1st 2017 by Thistledown Press

To ask other readers questions about Rage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rage

Faisal
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
John Mavin

I won this autographed copy through Goodreads giveaway, thank you. This is a one of a kind set of short dark stories that you just don’t hear about every day. Each story goes deep into different aspects of human behavior through different aspects of lives. Besides a couple of stories that I had trouble understanding due to them having Spanish and French mixed in, the others are mind blowing especially during the end of each story.
Stephanie Strain
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
These stories are immersing and hard-hitting, and will stay with you days after you finish. In particular, the heartache and pain of the title story, the vigilante brother and sister duo of A Flock of Crows is Called a Murder, the down-to-earth reverend and his fight to save a refugee in Relevance, and the difficult read of Dal Segno al Fine’s aging couple are standout elements ... but The High Alpinist’s Survival Guide is my ultimate favourite — it will have you on the edge of your seat.
Joseph
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I started reading this a few days ago while on my break at work, but then I was distracted by other things. This isn't the kind of one-off book you read when distracted. The first story sets the tone, and then the idea filters through that the themes explored will demand both your time and attention. Don't shortchange yourself. Give in.

Then it's 3:45 in the morning, you've flipped over the last page, and the only sense of disappointment left lingering is that there isn't more.
Annemarie
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was my first book of short stories and it definitely won't be my last. Each story was captivating and written with a variety of styles and themes which kept things interesting. I look forward to future stories. Definitely a talented author.
Katherine
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, an absolute page turner. Once I started a story I had to finish it before I put it down.
Jacqueline
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-fiction
Read this book. I was captivated by each character in each story, drawing me in until I cried, screamed and cheered along with them.
Tammy Knezic
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rage. So much rage.

The war-trauma rage of the initial story. The filial rage of "And Apparently, Cigarettes." Ambitious rage in "Deposition." Jared's righteous (and ironic) rage in "Relevance," which frankly is one of my favourite things in the entire book. The drama-fueled teenage rage of "Mercy Manor." Raymond's helpless rage in "Dal Segno Al Fine," which has my favourite opening line in the book. Zak's unexplained rage is beautifully played against Mike's hopefulness about his future in "Wait
Janine Cross
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Through a range of characters as diverse as an elderly stroke victim to a priest harboring an illegal alien, the stories in this book offer an unflinching look at the Jekyll and Hyde emotions we all strive to suppress. Dark, haunting, and very memorable!
Roger Pylypa
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Stories of deception, betrayal, and revenge; of consequences intended and unintended. The moods in Mavin’s fiction fluctuate with every plot twist and reveal, leaving the reader to wonder what the next moment will hold.
Margarita Escobar
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great collection of short stories. The author writing style keeps you hanging on until the last word.
What a talented writer!!
Jordana Bater
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
DNF. made it over halfway through, having disliked every story i had read so far, yet still went on hoping to find a gem. the gem never came.
Brie
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great collection of short stories
Richard
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The collection of short stories captures the secluded secrets of a small town that is unable to keep its innocents. The way the author is able to bring forth a variety of intense subject matter is no small feat, Rage makes the reader go on an emotional roller-coaster, that in the end, brings the reader to question parallels they might have seen in their own town. Impossible to stop in the middle of a story, John Mavin's writing style keeps you hanging on until the last word.
Shawna Cole
Daniel Muscat
Liz
Nikky44
Nov 08, 2017
A past nominee for both the Aurora Award and the Journey Prize, John Mavin is the author of Rage. He's taught creative writing at Capilano University, Simon Fraser University, the University of British Columbia, with New Shoots, and at the Learning Exchange in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside.