Jump to ratings and reviews

Seth, Dreams and Projections Of Consciousness

An incredibly exciting book, which provides essential instructions and information for those interested in working with Dreams and Out of Body Experiences. This book was originally written as a sequel to the Seth Material, and is considered by many to be one of the most advanced and knowledgeable works in the area. Includes techniques for recalling dreams, becoming conscious in the dream state, and inducing Out-of-Body Experiences

385 pages, Paperback

First published January 1, 1987

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Jane Roberts

203 books307 followers

Roberts was born in Saratoga Springs, New York. After attending public schools, she attended Skidmore College. She wrote in a variety of genres: poetry, short stories, children’s literature, and novels. When she was in her 30s, she and her husband began to record what she said were messages from a personality named "Seth", and she wrote several books about the experience.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
3 (1%)
1 star
1 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 14 of 14 reviews
Profile Image for Nell Grey.
Author 11 books42 followers
June 16, 2012
Jane's narrative is interesting in that one gains a good feeling for her character, which comes across as honest and straightforward. Her 'voice' and language are quite different from Seth's, and her ideas, when expressed, so much simpler and easier to understand than his.

Jane's dream experiences were fascinating, but I found the long section dictated by Seth on probable/possible realities convoluted and (dare I say it?) tiresome (in the literal sense of the word), and decided that if it were true our brains are (probably...!) not equipped to cope with such a concept. There should possibly be a mental health warning on the cover, especially bearing in mind the experiments with Out of Body Experiences.

I read this book mostly for the section that deals with lucid dreaming and Out of Body Experiences, which comes at the end of the book and takes up about 70 pages out of 380.

The early stages of dream work instruction consist of waking frequently to record dreams, and one would have to be committed to losing sleep - almost certainly much-needed for someone with children, a responsible job, and/or lots to do during the day. Jane said that she managed this for periods of a week or more, but needed breaks of undisturbed sleep in between.

I'm glad I read this book, but I'm not in any hurry to pick up another, and I still have an earlier Seth book to finish.
Profile Image for Kelly Enck.
Author 1 book11 followers
June 16, 2015
“Altering the state of the psyche automatically alters the physical circumstances. There is no other valid way of changing physical events.”

I am very grateful to Jane Rob and Seth for helping me to explore consciousness. In a thousand years the few of us reading and practicing the lessons in this book will be thought of as the "first explorers" of the unknown realities. I have been waking up in my dreams and writing them down and some of them have been "clear" signs of great things coming in life. This book is like a "Dream Training" class. I could write forever, but I am working on my own book on the subject and "referencing Seth" as my instructor. If you are interested in following along you can read my blog, which is the same name as the book I am working on, "Michael's Quantum City" by Kelly Granite Enck Here's the link: http://happy-firewalker.blogspot.com/...
Profile Image for Anita.
1,327 reviews7 followers
November 19, 2017
A very illuminating read. This is one of several books by 'Seth', an 'otherworldly entity', who channels though a woman named Jane Roberts. Many of my own esoteric experiences over the last decade have been explained and confirmed here. However, not all of the channeled information is present in the book (though the author does explain in layman's terms), so, unlike the author who has access and benefit to understanding them in a more complete manner, a casual reader may have trouble following along the seemingly disjointed information, because it presupposes that the reader has some basic understanding of the mechanics of how the inner consciousness works. I, too, would have preferred a more in-depth and lengthy exploration of the matter. A good read for me, nonetheless.
Profile Image for Marlon.
24 reviews2 followers
February 6, 2009
This is highly useful but keep in mind it has actually been edited down somewhat, so the actual longer more in-depth discussions are in the other books.
Profile Image for Avid Cobwebber.
23 reviews
October 17, 2022
This is probably my tenth Seth book, and I have gotten the desire to start another at the conclusion of each one--so not my last either.

It's a big one, kind of felt like it just kept going-- but I tended to read it near bedtime, and felt like reading a book about dream reality, one that constantly urges you to suggest your own dreams, and figure out how to remember them, even take control of them or use them to heal your physical life... I did activate a part of my mind that gave me richer dreams and more profound understanding and interest in dreaming. I used to fill notebooks in high school, and then sharing a bed made me feel too disruptive so I stopped.

In the scope of this series, I would say don't read this one first. There are probably four others to get one in the swing, and this book feels cut-up with material from before and after the great prolific Seth book period. It starts with Robert Butts recounting the final years of Jane, and ends with Jane saying she is about to start the Seth books in earnest.

The formatting is not like the Golden Years, when Seth was the text and Jane/Robert mere italicized note-takers: With this book, Seth is the italic subtext and it is more about the lives of the authors, and their dreams, and their friends' dreams. Yes, putting their friends' dreams in there, and saying, "Now this is how the dreams came true!" seems like total padding, and I stopped reading the non-italic non-Seth text when it delivered too much peripheral stuff. Even question and answer sessions with Seth detract from the seriously weird and valuable ideas put forth in this series.

It put the closest thing to hokey on these books, or at least cast a paradoxical look to the author's assertions. If a spirit is channeling our dimension to say our physical senses limit our existence and our waking hours are a deception, why do I need to use these corrupted senses to read testimonials from random nobodies living in the '60s that they lucid dreamed?

In a sense, the format and tone of the book didn't age well. But as always with Seth, the ideas presented here seem clearer, more true, more transcendent than one usually goes without the help of some philosopher or mystical personage. And where those thoughts were then and where we are now lend more credence to the far out stuff, regarding the human understanding of time and space.

I just want clocks to go away, and many scrofulent agents of the daily soul limitation each person must undergo. These books clearly depict a vision of consciousness that is so much more precious, intertwined, and "eternally valid" as the books say. There is a poetics involved that I think Rilke would appreciate to a great extent.

Profile Image for Mike S.
384 reviews34 followers
October 2, 2017
I liked this book a lot, it's a mix of Seth quotes and Jane's experiments and thoughts. This helps fill in the picture if you've read nothing but Seth quotes, showing you what Jane and Robert are like and how curious and courageous they were, not to mention how much work did documenting their many Seth sessions, classes, and experiments. This book has so much fascinating material I will most definitely read it again once I've read through all of the Seth books I have at least once. I just love these books, they give me a sense of awe and adventure and I always feel more positive after reading their material.
Profile Image for Deborah Fassel.
497 reviews4 followers
February 25, 2021
Reading Jane's books is like visiting home, because she lived so close to my mother's house.
This gives practical instructions for doing your own dreamwork, and many instances of what has happened with others. The spinning off of parallel lives is particularly fascinating.
Profile Image for Kari Olfert.
370 reviews5 followers
June 2, 2020
Idk if I'm not in the headspace for this book, but I've liked other Jane Robert's books WAY better than this one. The layout felt choppy and the diction felt heavy and lifeless.
2 reviews
January 16, 2022
Amazing

I love the Seth material. It's very interesting looking at my own experiences thru the information Seth gives.
Fascinating, can't wait to read the next one.
107 reviews2 followers
March 23, 2016
A vast improvement over most Seth books that are littered with the notes about what Jane and ? are going through day to day. Very Informative.
Displaying 1 - 14 of 14 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.