Start by marking “The Villainous Viscount: Or the Curse of the Venns” as Want to Read:
The Villainous Viscount: Or the Curse of the Venns

The Villainous Viscount: Or the Curse of the Venns

Just as Lord Venn is making a passionate proposal to the sixth heiress on his list, a hooded spectre appears in a crack of thunder.

This hereditary curse is becoming inconvenient - particularly as Venn is next on the list to come to a terrible end.

Clarinda Greendale has other reasons for rejecting Venn besides the curse: - such as his being a wild, brawling social outcast
Published February 24th 2017 by Ellliot (first published August 23rd 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Villainous Viscount, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Villainous Viscount

Jennifer Macaire
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was utterly hilarious, a jaunty fling, a sexy romance, and carefully researched and full of fascinating facts! I had so much fun reading it. Clarinda Greendale inherits a fortune, and sets off a chain of events that end in a fireworks display of ghosts, a curse, a rake (no, not a gardener's rake, but a dissolute Viscount!), and a rousing fight. The heiress, Clarinda, is expected to make a good, no, a very good marriage, now that she is wealthy. Clarinda had been content to spend the re ...more
Rebecca
A witty spoof on the Gothic novel, by a master of the art. This book reads very much on the surface like a Jane Austen novel, yet with Elliot’s own special twists. Elliot has the same gift of sharp subtlety, which is probably why her writing sometimes reminds me of Austen.

Right away we learn that a deadly bolt of lightning has electrified a clear blue sky, striking a stone wall and causing it to collapse, squashing Uncle Greendale “flat as a crepe.” This event sets the stage for a uniquely-told
Amy
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Villainous Viscount: Or the Curse of the Venns is a fun and unique read. I enjoyed the humor of it that made me laugh out loud a few times. Viscount Harley Venn and Carlinda Greendale are quite entertaining together. The mystery and curse that needed to be solved made an additional plus to the story.

I give The Villainous Viscount: Or the Curse of the Venns four stars. I would love to read more by Lucinda Elliott in the future.
The Lit Bitch
This is a new author for me and frankly I only agreed to read this novel because of the tag line: “An appreciative satire of the cliches of classical Gothic”.

I love Gothic romances. I lived for Gothic romances as a little girl and as I’ve gotten older I cannot tell you how much I love them. It’s embarrassing.

So how could I pass up this book about Gothic romances? I couldn’t!

This is a very long summary, I know but it gives you a basic idea of what the book is about. I didn’t bother to read it whe
Bianca78
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The Villainous Viscount, a Regency Era paranormal romance tells the tale of a family curse set to destroy a tight-knit group of douche bros 1820s style. Ultimately, why should the reader care if a group of lecherous drunks is getting what they deserve? Well, two words: Harley Venn. Venn is the villainous viscount and for all his liabilities, he’s just so darn likable as the perfect, imperfect anti-hero. The accidental
Diana
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved the fact that the novel jumped right into the story without tedious background details. The details were worked into the story line masterfully. Viscount Harley Venn is a randy degenerate with no morals and no respect for his station in life. To his defense, he did not have a very good male figure to look up to.

Clarinda Greendale, niece to Mr Greendale, died suddenly and left his fortune to her. A strange and terrifying thought to Clarinda. Two months later George Foyle, died falling do
Laura Reading
Aug 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Taking all of the best and worst of the Gothic Novel attributes, this novel is a combination of romance, debauchery, mystery and paranormal.
Clarinda unexpectedly inherits a fortune which changes her entire family's status. While she has no desire to marry she must be presented to society. Clarinda becomes the object of attention for men with titles who have no money.
One of these men is the Viscount Harley Venn, an acknowledged rake, womanizer, gambler, with an admirable body, for the moment. It
Kimberly Love
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love when a book jumps right into the action of the story. The characters are interesting and engaging especially the morally corrupt Viscount Harley Venn. There are multiple deaths throughout the story and the mystery involved definitely kept me intrigued. This is a book that you are sure to enjoy if you like to be intrigued.
Linda
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice light and fun read.
Lauren Jones
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What would you do if you found out that your family was cursed? Would you watch your every step in fear of the curse catching up to you? Would you live carelessly, confident that the curse has no bearing on you? This novel has an interesting plot, one with romance, dark satire, and supernatural elements intertwined. The Villainous Viscount or The Curse of the Venns by Lucinda Elliot is humorous, dark, and will entertain readers who enjoy reading this genre.

Clarinda Greendale is as innocent as th
ColleenIsBooked
Lori Murray
Nov 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Just couldn't get into this book at all, I couldn't even connect to really any of the characters. I was just so bored that I skipped some pages to see how the book would end. And even the ending wasn't that great.
I am still really glad that I was given the opportunity to read this book by the way of Book Unleashed Book Tour.
Jo Danilo
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm still smiling from this one. What a great book! Lucinda Elliot has a sense of humour I've never come across before. It's so firmly tongue in cheek, and you can tell that she's having great fun with her writing, probably chuckling to herself as she goes. To the reader, this comes across. The enthusiasm is infectious and the book very enjoyable. She throws many a nod to the old romance genre and its authors, yet the story comes across as new.

As always, Lucinda's characters are highly-likeable,
Julie
rated it did not like it
Aug 10, 2018
Cynthia
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway-s
Modern gothic?

This story is written by someone who clearly has a liking for the gothic style. It has, however, been littered with modern sensibilities. Whereas the gothic novels I have read in the past have stopped short of describing intimate encounters in detail, this novel goes beyond such delicacy and is quite explicit. It also imbued it's characters with more modern traits, feelings, and even seems to add in some political correctness. While it is not quite for me, I am sure there are those
vaneeta naik
Lorka
Apr 26, 2019

• The Long Shadow
  • SelfSame
  • The Bull of Min (The She-King, #4)
  • Call to Juno (Tales of Ancient Rome, #3)
  • Orphan of the Olive Tree
  • Tulagi Hotel
  • A Storm Hits Valparaiso
  • Chasing Odysseus (Hero Trilogy, #1)
  • Rubies of the Viper
  • The Honor Due a King (The Bruce Trilogy, #3)
  • The War at Troy
  • Cry of the Peacock (The Metamorphosis Series, #2)
  • Call of the Sea
  • The Haunting of Thores-Cross: A Yorkshire Ghost Story
  • Dreaming the Eagle (Boudica, #1)
  • Samsara: Wolf Howling
Lucinda Elliot is a three times winner of the B.R.A.G medallion for outstanding fiction, for 'That Scoundrel Emile Dubois' 'Ravensdale' and their sequel 'Where Worlds Meet'.
She loves writing Gothic style stories, which isn't surprising because she was brought up in a series of great old isolated houses about England and Wales which her parents were refurbishing (it wasn't so fashionable back then