Start by marking “I Hug” as Want to Read:

I Hug

I Like to Read(R) Books for Beginning Readers
- More than 70 fun-to-read books for new readers
- Guided reading levels A through G, based upon Fountas and Pinnell standards
- Award-winning easy reader series, created by acclaimed author-illustrators including winners of Caldecott, Theodor Seuss Geisel, and Coretta Scott King honors
- Levels A though D for kindergarten readers;
Published August 15th 2017 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about I Hug, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Hug

Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
This book is so cute. Kids and hugs go hand and hand. It captures the sheer joy of being a kids.
Vivian
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
The four stars indicate that this is very successful as a beginning reader for children younger than kindergarten age. The format and size put it with picture books. It is part of the Holiday House "I Like to Read" guided reading series and is designated as "level A". On every page appear the phrase "I hug" followed by a noun which is also given a picture prompt or clue.

My three-year-old granddaughter easily read this aloud to me without ever having had it read to her.
Casandria
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This kid is a hugger! It would work great for a toddler storytime.
Barbara
Soft illustrations, created with watercolor over pen and ink, and simple text that is intended for beginning readers, highlight all the many reasons and individuals to hug. Many youngsters will be able to relate to hugging their pets and even a favorite rock or tree, not to mention friends and loved ones of all sorts. This is a sweet, sweet book, perhaps one that more of us need to read during these recent days of turbulence. I've always found that an offered hug is a lot more effective than a b ...more
Cassandra Gelvin
Apr 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
This review originally published at http://www.drttmk.com/books/i-hug.

I roll my eyes.

It feels like the author didn't even try to write an actual book. The art is of spotty quality. I'm not familiar with David McPhail's other illustration work, but I'm not impressed by what he did in this book.

The main character is a little girl who has funny hair, which makes her look like a clown. This is basically the modern-day equivalent of "Dick and Jane." As I have said in many other reviews, kids don't ne
L Sue
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just had a discussion with my middle child this morning about how important hugs are! I am a huggy person and when my own kids aren't feeling huggy I just want to hug them all the more!!

Checking in the new childrens'books this afternoon at my library, and I HUG by David McPhail was in my hands, almost like it was supposed to be!! LOL I just had to send a photo of it to my daughter, remember the one who wasn't into hugs this morning?!!?!?

This is important parents... teach your children to hug...
Teresa Bateman
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Written at a guided reading level A, this is a very slight book with McPhail's trademark watercolor illustrations that flow across double-page spreads. The text consists of four-word sentences, all beginning with "I hug my..." except for the last sentence which is just "I hug." There's not much here, but that's not the point. This is EXACTLY what my kindergarten teachers are looking for to use with their beginning readers. It hits that low IRLA level where it is practically impossible to find "r ...more
Kim
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book after reading "Hug-O-War" poem by Shel Silverstein in my Mother Goose Story Time. I Hug went over really well after that, they were a good match. The adult caregivers loved it.
There is one simple sentence of text on each full spread page. It's a nice repetition of "I hug my..." and she hugs some random things... like "I hug my rock." This could be a good bedtime book too since it ends with the protagonist in bed.
JE McPhail
Where the Sidewalk Ends J 811.54 SIL KitCD
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
McPhail, David. I Hug, PICTURE BOOK. Holiday House, 2017. $14.95.

This early reader goes through all the things a little girl loves to hug. She hugs her cat, her dog, her rock, her pillow. The words “I” and “hug” are utilized on every page and new words are interspersed on each page for practice. The words and illustrations match up so that it is an easy flow of repetition for readers just starting out.

PRE-K, EL (K-3)- OPTIONAL. Reviewed by Shay, School Librarian
Judy Ripke
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: previews
This is a good book for a beginning leveled reader (Level A). The illustrations are soft to go with the title, and the size of the book will help the child feel like he is reading a "real" book, not just a leveled reader.
Angela
One of the least boring GRL A books we've read in awhile! I'm not sure why they are publishing this as a library book--it's clearly a leveled classroom reader and should be evaluated as such. Out of place in hardcover, best for leveled classroom libraries and in paperback.

Angela
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: elementary-books
A cute book about a girl who likes to hug. This could be a great model for emerging writers and illustrators.
Michelle
Great transitional reader.
Cam
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great little beginner book for someone in kindergarten or learning to read. It’s repetitious in the wording and your little one should be able to catch on fast.
Jillian
The simple text will be perfect for beginning independent readers. I liked the idea of the illustrations - nice watercolors - but sometimes the girl's face looked...off.
Jamie
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very simple, cute. baby or toddler
Ms. Jeane
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Super cute, and super simple. Would have made a better board book, but still great to read to babies or toddlers.
Mary
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hugs all around! Short, sweet, and to the point, emerging readers are likely to get the most out of this short picture book.
Marisa
Amazon level: 4 - 8 years
Novelist level: Pre-Kindergarten - Kindergarten
Joey Gremillion
Oct 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
Banal and boring with boring illustrations. WE GET IT! You HUG!
Edward Sullivan
So many things to hug in this world.
MaryLibrarianOH
Soft watercolor illustrations and very simple text make this just right for the newest of the learning to read set.

From advanced reader copy.
Miss Sarah
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A simple baby and up book about things a young girl hugs
VillaPark Public Library
I hug introduces a young girl who loves to hug everything and everyone. Each hug introduces a new animal, object or person. This is a book with built in repetition, and each page has the same sentence starter of “I hug”. I hug is intended to be a guided reading book for parents to read with their children, and to introduce them to reading. This book has picture clues and repetition to help beginning readers.

Check this book out at the Villa Park Public Library:
Aug 25, 2017
Christopher
May 03, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
David was born in Newburyport, Massachusetts and attended the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. While there, he began illustrating. He is now an award-winning author and illustrator of nearly 200 books beloved by children, parents and librarians across the United States. McPhail has garnered many prestigious awards, including a New York Times Book Review Best Illustrated Book of the Year ...more