Start by marking “The Meek, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
The Meek, Volume 1

The Meek, Volume 1

***Winner of the 2017 Ignatz Award for Outstanding Online Comic***

Angora is an inexperienced young girl who has been sent on a quest to save the world.

Since the last world war, tensions have increased between the recovering Northern Territories and the unapologetic southern lands of Caris. The world is overwhelmed with as much terror, crime, and disease as it is by those w
Published April 19th 2017 by Der-shing Helmer

To ask other readers questions about The Meek, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Meek, Volume 1

Der-shing
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: comics, fantasy
Pretty good comic, the colors in the book came out great (the author is a little weird though).
Bogi Takács
Review soonish IY"H!

Source of the book: My mom bought it for me at Worldcon :)
Diz
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This fantasy story has beautiful art and it puts a lot of effort into world building. There are three stories in this first volume. They don't seem to have any connection, but they do connect in future stories, so patience is required. However, this slow approach to building the story creates a sense of mystery that had me trying to figure out the connections between the three stories. There is one weird thing about this story, though. One of the main characters doesn't wear any clothes, and it' ...more
Tove
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous art and world-building! I'll definitely grab the second volume as soon as it's available. I do have beef with the miners' sexual harassment of Angora and some repeated gender reductionism (boobs = woman) on the part of a coupla characters, but I'm hopeful that the story might be building in part to a critique of those things.
Jenna
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gorgeously illustrated and intriguing world-building. I am a bit lost in terms of the three story arcs, but I’m assuming that it’ll all tie-in in the end! Will definitely be sneaking online to see what happens next.
Cy
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
a really beautiful, colorful comic with rich, vivid environments. it's slightly weird to read just volume one, because the three chapters feature completely different characters and storylines (which i assume will tie together in the future) but i'm really excited to see where it goes. this world is so well thought through, and it's clear that there's plenty of history (lore!!!) that has yet to be explained. once it's done i imagine it will be a really incredible fantasy story. reading volume on ...more
Anatl
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wonderful web comics made out of three separate chapters each has a different setting and introduces different characters. I would love to know where it is all going.
Jack Stark
Dec 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comic, fantasy
1.6693 stars.

You can read my more in depth review of this on my blog - Random Melon Reads!

I have some unpopular thoughts on this. I did not enjoy it. But let’s remember that when someone reviews a book, they are sharing their personal opinions based on their own experience of the work. If we disagree, we can still be nice to each other. :) Put the wicker man away!

I enjoyed the artwork a lot, but the constanting shifting of characters and settings left the volume feeling disjointed. I struggled
jonah
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Avatar: The Last Airbender
Shelves: fantasy, favorites, comics
My favorite webcomic has finally made its way into print (and what a print it is—it has spot gloss and the artwork is so friggin' beautiful, and did I mention FRENCH FLAPS???)!! So of course the minute it arrived on my doorstep I had to drop everything and read the whole thing again. I'll be recommending this graphic novel up and down for the rest of my life. The gorgeous art, the lore, the cool powers, the politics, the humor—everything just hits the sweet spot for me. (It doesn't hurt that it ...more
EmilieSA
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
The art is beautiful. Really enticing and pretty. And I liked the story too, but the shift in stories was unexpected for me. I thought I would get a linear story, but no. I loved the 1st and last, had a bit more trouble getting into 2nd. It felt a lot like being thrown into the middle of a story, which I usually don't mind, but for the 2nd story I wish I had had more background info.
I think most of the problems I had will be solved in next volumes, which I intend on reading because I wanna know
Tourma
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I started reading this webcomic way back when. It was on hiatus for years and I was just about to delete the bookmark when I saw it was updating again. The artist has improved greatly from those early days of the comic. When I saw this volume was up for a Kickstarter, I backed it. The art has been retouched to better match the current pages and looks fantastic.

If you don't mind some non-sexual nudity, (I don't) it's a fantastic read.

Also check out the artist's other comic, Mare Internum. Its jus
Nicole

I really enjoyed this graphic novel. I picked this up solely for the cover, which I love (great color and artwork) and was completely surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Not only do I love the art style and color schemes, but I also love how this follows three different story arcs, each interesting on its own but will probably come together at some later point in the story.

This first volume builds up the world and all the characters but also creates a sense of mystery around some of the
Jon Chaisson
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another on a list of webcomics I've started reading over the course of the last couple of years. This one has an absolutely fascinating backstory regarding otherworldly creatures (spirit creatures? I'm not sure yet) amongst the humans in a far-future post-war west coast America. Highly suggested reading, along with her other webcomic title, Mare Internum.
Weston Humphreys
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Meek grabs your attention from the get go! Rich environments and a vast array of characters! I can’t wait to get deeper into the story. Volume One introduces us to a magical world entering severe turmoil.

Probably not well suited for kids.
Rebecca
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
3 stars ...more
Brenna
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read the webcomic soo many moons ago and I'm so excited she started updating again and got vol one printed!! Such a fun saga w intriguing characters
Samantha Cornelius
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
This book is amazing! Great story! Fantastic characters! Beautiful art! It's got it all!
Connor Rooke
Apr 21, 2017
Mel Staten
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, owned-books
I was so happy to back the Kickstarter for this book. The Meek has been a favorite webcomic for a while, but it was always meant to be in book form. It's a bit plot-heavy to follow easily online, though I appreciate that it's up for free. The schedule, through no fault of the author's, has also often been sporadic. It was such a genuine pleasure to read the first three chapters in one sitting, able to appreciate the fine art and beautifully printed pages. This first volume reads like an introduc ...more
Caitlin
Ian
rated it it was ok
May 28, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Hi, I draw comics and put them on the internet for people to read. Sometimes I put the drawings on paper so people who are not on the internet can also read them.

Thanks for reading my stuff!