Start by marking “Going Postal (Discworld, #33)” as Want to Read:
Going Postal (Discworld, #33)

Going Postal

(Discworld #33)

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  89,761 ratings  ·  2,572 reviews

Arch-swindler Moist von Lipwig never believed his confidence crimes were hanging offenses -- until he found himself with a noose tightly around his neck, dropping through a trapdoor, and falling into ... a government job?

By all rights, Moist should have met his maker. Instead, it's Lord Vetinari, supreme ruler of Ankh-Morpork, who promptly offers him a job as Postmaster.

Published September 28th 2004 by Harper (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Going Postal, please sign up.
Sylvia McIvers Thanks all for answering my question!
Thanks all for answering my question!
While the B. test is not the be-all and end-all, it is just strange that so many women never meet (except that one line, thanks John Kirk).

Is this important? In each book, it's not particularly important, but as a trend it is sad.(less)
Samantha Not really. This was the first book I read in the Discworld series and I wasn't lost. Most of these books are standalones or series that all take…moreNot really. This was the first book I read in the Discworld series and I wasn't lost. Most of these books are standalones or series that all take place in the same universe. It does make occasional references to things that happened in other books, but nothing very important or essential to your understanding of this one. I would really recommend this as a good starting point to get into the series.(less)

Melki
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The mail must get through!

He was part of the government, wasn't he? Governments took money off people. That's what they were for.

Turns out, years spent scamming and conning the public have excellently prepared Moist von Lipwig with the skill set needed to run a vast corporation.

Who knew?

My Discworld-reading for the Humour Club has had its ups and downs. Some books I loved, some bored me to tears, one I didn't finish. I thrilled to the adventures of the witches, laughed at the exploits of the Nig
Lyn
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love it when one work of art makes me think of another and my enjoyment of both is enhanced.

The executive office meeting subsequent to the gallows made me think of Mel Brooks’ hilarious 1974 film Blazing Saddles and Harvey Korman’s portrayal of Hedley LaMarr. So throughout the rest of the novel I eschewed the British aristocratic drawl of Lord Vetinari and replaced with Korman’s robber baron prose for full comedic effect.

Granny Weatherwax is still my favorite, but Sir Terry has succeeded again
This book was an excellent surprise; I love the Discworld series but was getting tired of seeing the same characters again and again in every book. But this book introduces an entirely new and refreshing cast of characters. I particularly liked the main character and felt he was very well-developed.

Pratchett's books are funny precisely because he has a very firm grasp of human nature. His best work feels surprisingly profound even though you're also laughing so hard you're afraid you might brea
E.H.
Jun 05, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: language and history geeks
Shelves: theboxmarkeddone
I picked up this book to read on a 15 hour flight from Chicago to Vietnam, on the assumption that it would be a light, pleasant way to pass the dreary hours (after one flight to China during which I watched the first X-Men film three times, I decided it was best to err on the side of having too many books rather than too few).

My assumptions proved correct, and I enjoyed the book quite thoroughly. Three things struck me:

1) Pratchett's use of language is always fun, and he occasionally makes wond
Nate D
Oct 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who refuse to read fantasy novels.
This was really surprising, actually. Perhaps it shouldn't have been, given how many people whose opinions I respect are Pratchett fans, but I haven't read a fantasy novel since giving up on Robert Jordan's painstakingly prolonged The Wheel of Time (somewhere in book 5, I think) long before college. Actually, I suppose I read a bunch of the Harry Potters in the interim, but in some ways that felt more like keeping up with pop culture than reading actual fantasy.

In any event, Going Postal was pur
Douglas Wilson
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I haven't read a lot of Pratchett -- I think this is only my second one -- but I do enjoy reading him for the color and the metaphor. The way he turns a figure of speech on the lathe will frequently leave you just sitting there in your chair with a table leg in your hand, and your wife says, "Hey, what's with the table leg." And I say, "I'm reading."
José
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: discworld
Otras reseñas de Mundodisco en mi blog.

«Cartas en el asunto» es la novela número 33 de la hilarante saga de Mundodisco; uno pensaría que a esta altura al gran Terry Pratchett no se le podrían ocurrir más personajes y que la calidad de la saga podía disminuir, pero con este libro demostró que todavía le quedaban excelentes ideas para rato.

Esta novela da comienzo a una nueva saga que lamentablemente Terry no pudo terminar; presentó un nuevo arco argumental iba a estar protagonizado por Húmedo
Eleanor
Dec 31, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: satire / fantasy nerds
I am probably the last person on earth to read Terry Pratchett, but I'm glad I finally did. People have been recommending his books to me for years and although I had planned on starting with book 1, Color of Magic, the bookseller recommended I start with Going Postal instead (they were also out of stock of CoM). Every time I picked this book up I laughed out loud, it has a refreshing wit combined with a sharp perception of people and their funny habits. I ate this book up and bought copy of "Gu ...more
BlackOxford
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british
Monetary Relativity

No better theory of money exists than Pratchett's: money is founded on postage stamps that got out of control. Understanding that fact helps to explain the world better than relativity theory.
Saša
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super zabava. Super humor, ironija, cinizam, satira... super Vlaža, super Pratchett.
Suzanne
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“What kind of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.”

This was really a funny, fun book. Lots of digs at corporations, lotteries, and just life.

“People flock in, nevertheless, in search of answers to those questions only librarians are considered to be able to answer, such as "Is this the laundry?" "How do you spell surreptitious?" and, on a regular basis, "Do you have a book I remember reading once? It had a red cover and it
Rachel (Kalanadi)
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Still my favorite Discworld book of all time
Jeannette Nikolova
Also available on the WondrousBooks blog.

Going Postal definitely ranks among my top 3 Discworld books. That is to say, Equal Rites will ALWAYS be my favourite, as it was my first, and the one that got me into Terry Pratchett to begin with. After that, the list gets blurrier, but nevertheless, Going Postal is among best.

I saw the Going Postal movie no fewer than 3 years ago and I loved it. Which was my reason to postpone reading this book after I suffered from a severe Terry Pratchett fatigue
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
One of my favourite Discworld novels - although I'm sure I've said that more thank once.

The way terry Pratchett plays with worlds is great - it adds to the pace and humour of this hilarious novel.
Deborah Ideiosepius
In this rich complex and darkly humorous story Terry Pratchett takes us to a side of Anke Morpork that the disc-world series had not previously visited; it's post office.

Moist von Lipwig is a con man of major proportions whose last fraud has come to haunt him, caught and about to hang he believes it is all over for him. Saved from permanent death, the Patrician of Anke Morpork, lord Vetinari offers him a job; to revitalise the wrecked and useless Post Office. To do so Moist must use all his ski
Oct 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, discworld
What happens when Ventari becomes an angel and puts a con man in charge of the decrepit Post Office? Nothing one expects, of course.
--------------------------------------------

There was a silence. In that silence, Moist tried out a variety of responses, from "Pull the other one, it's got bells on" to "That's impossible", and decided they all sounded stupid. Groat looked deadly serious, so instead he said: "How?"
----------------------------------------------

There are many, many characters in the
Kathleen
I have only read the Discworld books featuring the City Watch, and the related follow-up books featuring a spin-off character in this book, Moist Von Lipwig. That's because I'm afraid Pratchett's other books will not be my cuppa. As a writer, he walks a fine line, approaching my personal barrier — too much punnery and parody. I like the City Watch series (see Guards! Guards!) because Pratchett toes the line, proving parody in a neatly plotted mystery with the feeling of film noir, and I love the ...more
David
Feb 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so this wasn't brilliant or incredibly original or anything that a 5-star novel should normally be, but it was funny and fast-paced and hugely entertaining. Pratchett's Discworld, with its hodge-podge of technologies, cultures, and magic, into which he shoehorns whatever anachronistic notion works for the story, shouldn't work as well as it does, but somehow you suspend your disbelief and just enjoy the ride.

Starting with the cringeingly-named protagonist "Moist von Lipwig," Going Postal i
Nicole
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The length of time it took to read this book is not a reflection upon its quality. I just haven’t been very good at switching between books lately due to a number of distractions.
This one includes two things I have soft spots for: a talented con artist and the postal service.
As I’ve commented in other reviews, such as The Lies of Locke Lamora, I’m fascinated by a well-executed con. Moist von Lipwig (one of Pratchett’s most deliberately awful character names) is one grade-A con artist. He brilli
YouKneeK
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Going Postal is the first book in the Moist von Lipwig subseries of Discworld, which is also associated with the Industrial Revolution subseries. In the case of this book, it’s maybe a little more of an “Industrial Counterrevolution”.

The post office in Ankh-Morpork has effectively been out of commission for a while, with tons of undelivered letters sitting around. Meanwhile, over the past several books, we’ve seen the development of a faster and more efficient method of communication called the
Got My Book
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Also posted on my blog Got My Book.

Real Rating = 4.5*

What can I say about Terry Pratchett & Discworld that hasn't been said before? His fantasy has layers inside it's layers.

BOOK DETAILS:
Going Postal by Terry Pratchett, read by Stephen Briggs, published by HarperAudio (2005) / Length: 11 hrs 27 min

SERIES INFO:
This is the first Discworld book about Moist von Lipwig, and is one possible (among many) starting point for newbies. There are two additional books, Making Money & Raising Steam in
Ron
Sep 16, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Cute, but kind of stale--like Seinfeld. It's superficially funny, but you get the feeling it's been done before. Many times.

In light of 2008's financial crisis, Going Postal might be taken as a timely reminder of the fallibility of humans, especially those entrusted with wealth or power.
Jared
Oct 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Going Postal, the enlightened despot of Ankh Morpork, Lord Vetinari, rather forcibly recruits a con man, Moist von Lipwig, to take over the running of the venerable and deserted post office, where letters have been accumulating for years -- if not decades -- without delivery. Moist steps reluctantly into the moldy shoes of the Postmaster, only to discover that the previous three occupants of the position died grisly deaths in the execution of their duties (and I use the term "execution" advis ...more
Sibilla
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Prečets savā labākajā formā. Asprātīgi un smieklīgi par valsts iestāžu darbību, lielu pilsētu pārvaldīšanu, manipulēšanu ar cilvēkiem, reiderismu, eņģeļiem, kas parādās vienreiz mūžā, golemu attiecībām ar brīvo gribu, vēstuļu maģiju, klak torņu hakeriem, kniepadatu kolekcionēšanu, kaķu glābšanu no degošām mājām un, apžēliņ, cik daudz ko citu.
R. G. Nairam
I care about mail, embezzlement, greedy businessmen, and a main character named Moist.

I wish there was a word for that kind of accomplishment.
Joaquin Garza
La comedia está ahí. Los chistes y los gags. Pero para 2004 Pratchett ya no era el mismo (faltando cuatro años para que le diagnosticaran el Alzheimer). Aquí es un Pratchett mucho menos delicado para mostrar lo que Gaiman llamó la furia subyacente de sus libros.

En este caso una crítica contra los corporate raiders y los monopolistas. Perfectamente válido hacerla, pero hay momentos donde parece que el autor está gritando. Y hay pocas cosas que me molesten más (si uno juzga mis reseñas de Ready Pl
Veronika Sebechlebská
Vlahoš van Rosret a Nadosah Pozlátko. Dvaja géniovia zločinu stoja proti sebe v boji na život a na smrť. Vyhrať môže len jeden. Samozrejme je to Lord Vetinari.
Marko Radosavljevic
FENOMENALNO!
Primetio sam, mislim negde oko Dušmana, da počinje da se menja Pračetovo pisanje. Dosta je direktniji u prozivkama pojava koje ga zuljaju.33-ća knjiga u serijalu o Disksvetu se ozbiljno bavi tehnološkom revolucijom,korporativnom mahinacijama, korupciji, bankarima, organizovanom religijom,, i ima ozbiljniju dozu sarkazma nego do sada što je bio slučaj.I to nije ništa lošije nego do sada, naprotiv , meni više leži sa dozom "mraka"
Srdjana
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Uzivala sam!
Richard
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, comedy
8.5/10

My first real attempt at a Terry Pratchett novel. Quite a while ago I picked up Colour of Magic and read it intermittently without ever really getting into it or thinking it was anything too special. I was given Going Postal as a gift a couple of years ago and finally picked it up and attempted it due to my keenness to get into the Discworld series. I'm glad I did!

It's very different to the normal sort of crime/action books I read and I'm trying to broaden my horizons with different styles
Books2Movies Club: Going Postal - book and TV 2 10 May 12, 2018 01:21PM
Letter Writers Al...: Going Postal 2 51 Apr 13, 2017 09:55AM
Escape The Earth!: FWIW: Terry Pratchett Interview in NYT Book Review 1 4 Aug 20, 2014 01:08PM
La Stamberga dei ...: Going Postal di Terry Pratchett 2 21 Jan 16, 2013 12:01PM
  • Snow White and the Seven Samurai
  • East of Ealing
  • Another Fine Myth (Myth Adventures, #1)
  • The Fourth Bear (Nursery Crime, #2)
  • Legends 3 (Legends 1, Volume 3of3)
  • Conrad's Fate (Chrestomanci, #5)
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Voice of the Castle (Girl Genius, #7)
  • The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (Dirk Gently, #2)
  • The Story of the Stone (The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox #2)
  • The Unseen University Challenge: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Death, #1; Discworld, #4)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?” 743 likes
“Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?” 712 likes