Start by marking “How to be Champion: My Autobiography” as Want to Read:
How to be Champion: My Autobiography

How to be Champion: My Autobiography

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  3,835 Ratings  ·  376 Reviews
Part autobiography, part self help, part confession, part celebration of being a common-or-garden woman, part collection of synonyms for nunny, Sarah Millican's debut book delves into her super normal life with daft stories, funny tales and proper advice on how to get past life's blips - like being good at school but not good at friends, the excitement of IBS and how to bl ...more
Published October 19th 2017 by Trapeze (first published October 5th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about How to be Champion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to be Champion

Louise Wilson
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like Sarah Millican doing her stand up routines so when I seen she had a book out I had to get myself a copy. Sarah is completely honest in this book and gives us tips along the way on how to be champion. The one I'm going to act on straight away is buy myself a travel kettle. You will need to read the book to find out why. I loved this book from beginning to end. A must read for fans old and new.
Tasha and Megan Mahoney
This was an amusing, moving, charming and undeniably funny autobiography. I purchased it in paperback but then I saw it on Audible and read by Sarah Millican herself. I couldn't resist the audiobook and do not regret it, Sarah's no holds barred account of her life was all the better told in her own voice.
Lisa
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, top-author
I really enjoyed this autobiography by one of my fave comedians Sarah Millican.

For double enjoyment I listened to it on audio so I could hear her wonderful accent and laugh along with her.

If you are a fan of Sarah's this is a must read. Informative and incredibly funny (and a little bit gross heehee!)

If you are unfamiliar with Sarah you should check her out - her style of humour is raw, down-to-earth and brutally honest.
Sid Nuncius
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed How To be Champion. I like Sarah Millican's stand-up, and this, too, is funny (of course), human and thoughtful.

It may be worth beginning with a warning that there is a lot of very frank and intimate talk about sex and bodily functions of all kinds, often using what the TV continuity people would warn us is Very Strong Language. Personally I find this refreshing and often very funny, but if it's not your thing then this definitely isn't a book for you.

It is a book for me, though. I lik
Barbara
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I've read several autobiographies or extended essays by comedians in the past year and found that there's very little correlation between being funny on stage and being funny on the page. Miranda Hart's book was painfully awful, the wee Scottish lady who was on Strictly was so boring about mental health that I couldn't bring myself to review it on Amazon for fear of the inevitable flood of negative ratings, and if you've ever tried Dawn French's novels, then you'll know why comedians should stic ...more
Anjalee
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 Stars
Stepping into Sarah Millican’s How to Be Champion I thought I’d find a kindred spirit. Bookish, Northern wallflower with a love of comedy? It was supposed to be a match made in heaven - but I quickly felt like an unwelcome reader.

Many a chapter deal with the impact of bullying, making someone feel ashamed for who they are and the importance of being kind to one another however, it was sad to see that Sarah’s tolerance did not extend itself to matters of faith. Her frequent digs at rel
kay cartwright
Oct 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
Lee
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.25 stars.

I fucking love Sarah Millican. This book's also a little deeper and more personal that what you'd usually get from an autobiography of someone who's a celebrity. Really enjoyed it.
Liz
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
I have seen Sarah Millican live and find her extremely funny. I like her style of humour and down to earth attitude. When I saw this for a bargain 99p, I thought what could go wrong.

Unfortunately, I found this quite boring. This was due to the style it was written in and felt disjointed and not well written. It had moments of humour, and I liked that it was trying to get across some key messages such as work hard and her experiences with bullies.

I'm disappointed as I thought I would enjoy it. I
Kelly
I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this on audio. Sarah is charming, intelligent and outrageously funny. As well as being a light-hearted read, this book also gives a glimpse into some more hard hitting topics and is certainly food for thought as well as fun.
Sally Whiteside
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very amusing with parts that made me laugh out loud. I love watching Sarah Milligan and this is a great book that I couldn't help reading in her voice.
Kinga
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All you’d expect from Sarah Millican. Lovely and cosy, like a nice cup of tea. And funny, too! So, not like a cup of tea, as well.

In short: if you like Sarah Millican, you'll like this book.
Katy Noyes
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ballsy, brilliant honesty - as funny on paper as she is on a stage. Self-help combined with a personal history, doesn't shy away from pain and embarrassment.

No I'm not gushing. No. Definitely not. Girl crush - who said that? Alright, I loved it. I almost wish I'd got an audio copy, this could only have been improved by having the author reading it to me in her 'comfy' South Shields brogue.

A history of Millican's life - from awkward glasses and perms, to a failure of a first marriage, to the work
Sandra "Jeanz"
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
REVIEW
I have watched Sarah Millican on a few different TV shows and one of her DVD's and found her quite funny. I also think she projects the fact she is a down to earth, normal person with everyday challenges both at work, with family and life. So as I find her quite relatable I wanted to read the blurb of this book which of course mentions different trials and tribulations from being of school age onward.

The cover features Sarah wearing a yellow/mustard cardigan with the buttons fastened wron
Tamara Niemi
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Living in Switzerland, I had not heard of Sarah Millican until she came up in conversation among some English friends. I happened on this book and thought "I'm pretty sure I missed her gigs in Switzerland, because I miss everything, so I'll check this out."

And that's how I nearly killed myself laughing on a treadmill during a work trip to Bangladesh. I am only thankful the book didn't fall on me when I fell face first.

She's so normal, and so willing to be normal. My new goal is to be champ
Kim
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-read
Entertaining and amusing biography from the celebrated comedienne. A lot better than similar ones I have read - 8/10.
Emma Collicott
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mental-health
Absolutely loved this book. Made me laugh, cry and just take a look at my life. I would recommend this book to anyone - some lovely life tips and also some lovely shared moments from Sara and honest truths.
Karen
May 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I listened to the Audio version of this book.
It was easy to follow and humorous in parts.
Sarah comes across as a well grounded, hard working sincere person.
I am now going to watch the “who do you think you are “ episode she made, she made it sound really interesting
Linh
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made me laugh and had quite a few honest truths that really connected with me. I loved it.
Joanne D'Arcy
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No doubt many people are going to call this book Champion and it will become a well-worn plaudits - but that is quite simply because this book does exactly what it says on the cover.

I have never been a fan of self-help books, but if they were all like this then I would be reading far more!

First of all, I read this because I am a fan of Sarah Millican. I have seen her live and watched many of her DVDs and wandered around YouTube listening to bits and pieces. There is something about what she tal
Dan Thompson
As much as I find Sarah Milican funny, and there were funny bits in this easy-to-read book, I found it a bit mismashed. It didn’t have any fluidity and therefore I found myself wandering at times.

Sarah has a great comedy voice intertwined with emotional insights and this book delivers, but there are plenty of filler bits too which unfortunately stops me from giving it full marks.
Mike
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read, easily as good as James Patterson to sneak in a quick chapter on the loo before the kids spot you're missing!
Matthew Trickett
Sep 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Made me kind of hate her the amount of potty humour she has in this. No proper editing and no self control. Grossed me out.
Mummy Loves Books
I have been a Sarah Millican fan for a few years now, I love her straight talking and no-nonsense approach and her down to earth style. As the new year rolled around I needed a book to kick off the new year and get me through those initial days after all the festivities stop and reality sets in with a bump. I could think of no more perfect book than How To Be Champion by Sarah Millican.

This book is a really interesting one, it's part autobiography and advice guide to life from Sarah Millican he
Louise Douglas
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books
Sarah Millican has been one of my role models for a long time. Unashamedly proud of who she is, I look up to her for so many reasons.

I would whole-heartedly recommend you go and buy this book now while it's still 99p on Kindle, it was a fantastic read.

Part autobiography, part advice, I found it so hard to put this book down. I loved the style it was written in, short chapters and lots of bullet points and lists made it so easy to read, and I swear I read the whole thing with Sarah's voice narrat
Caroline
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit that when I started this book it took me a while to get into it. When telling us about her childhood, Sarah Millican was too normal. I asked myself 'why am I reading about someone that is just like me', but then as I got into it then I realised that that was exactly what the beauty of it is. Sarah has been through hard times and heartache like many of us. She describes hilarious office scenes in the wake of her divorce, therapy, Dr visits, and family support. She talks about IBS, ...more
Fall-Out-Book-Nerd
This book was everything I hoped it would be and much, much, much more.

Sarah Millican has always been one of my favourite comedians but reading her life story made me connect and relate to her on a whole new level.

This book had so many different part to it. There were parts that made me laugh loudly in public then take a picture of the quote to share with my friend. There were parts which made me hurt and often feel the pain that Sarah went through and still goes through on a daily basis. And th
cachkareads
Сара Милликан в предисловии сразу же предупреждает, что использует слово champion в качестве прилагательного, а не существительного. Значения его могут варьироваться от отличный, превосходный до более менее. Она отмечает, что хотела бы написать такую автобиография, которая помимо своей основной функции (рассказе о прожитой жизни) была своего родом self helpy книгой.

I wanted to make it clear that your life doesn't need to be perfect; you don't need to look a certain way to be happy. You don't ne
Elizabeth
Three and a half stars, rounded up to four.

Some really good stuff, and some bits that I didn't enjoy quite as much. But all told, I thought Sarah Millican came across completely as herself - warm, witty, wise and frequently very rude.

Not one to read if you're easily offended, but definitely one to read if you're looking for a motivational uplifting and honest book.

Reading a memoir of a person you like is always a big gamble. You run the risk of discovering something about them that makes you d
Erica
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think Sarah Millican is hilarious, and I like her even more after reading this incredible, honest account. That said, there were parts that just trailed off and felt a little unfinished, and others I wanted to know more about, and the champion advice was a little too sincere for me. I still appreciated a lot of what she had to say, and it hasn't affected my opinion of her in the least. I still think she's ace. Finally, as an American, I liked how she took everyone's starter recipe for banana b ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine 3 17 Jan 09, 2018 04:57AM
Sarah Millican is an English comedian.

“I often think it's not about what happens to you, it's about how you handle it.” 3 likes
“I wanted to male it clear that your life doesn't need to be perfect; you don't need to look a certain way to be happy. You don't need to be amazing at everything all of the time. I am, at times, a shoddy daughter, friend, person.” 2 likes