Jump to ratings and reviews

Frostbite #1

A Vision in Crimson

Katelyn knows her magic is risky, but Icaryan light is fading fast and she is desperate. Returning to Earth, she crosses paths with Luca, a vampire hybrid living on the outskirts of humanity. Passion sparks their weary hearts. The rogue hunter follows Katelyn into a world teeming with wonder and danger, forsaking his own quest to root out his father.

But his father has not forgotten him.

A Vision in Crimson is the first installment of a new epic fantasy blistering with romance and Gothicism.

328 pages, Kindle Edition

5 books49 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
4 (18%)
1 star
1 (4%)
Displaying 1 - 9 of 9 reviews
Profile Image for Perry Lake.
Author 22 books88 followers
May 15, 2018
Pale and sullen, Luca is a man with a mission: to destroy all vampires—especially the one that fathered him. This will not prove easy, as Luca is the son of Dracula.

That’s a great pretext for a story. However, this story takes place on the world of Icarya in the year AD 12,205 and Luca’s companions include a three hundred-year-old time-traveling witch, an aging Hercules (yes, that Hercules), nymphs, fauns, a minotaur, a pegasus, and a talking rat.

If the author is going to throw all of that in one book, she had better be able to make it work.

Luca the vampire hunter and Kate the witch fall in love. They go mining for quartz because it’s an explosive substance, you know. They and their companions are just the sweetest people you’ll ever meet and nothing bad ever gets in their way very long. Only after the halfway point do we meet the assassin Alaric and learn of a plot to take control of Icarya.

Sharper writing would save the book from some of the silliness of the plot. The writing falls into the passive tense too often. The writing is not actually bad—but we’re told what happens; we aren’t made to feel it. We’re told the characters have problems, but we don’t feel them—at least not until three-quarters in, where we get a series of powerful vignettes from Luca’s youth. The few scenes with Dracula convey power and terror.

All the characters, be they human, animal, ancient Greek, or whatever, all speak in the same voice, the same vernacular. Adding some variety in speech would make them come alive more. Within a pseudo-medieval setting, characters say things like, “Lay it on me, baby.” We also jump from one character’s POV to another as we go from sentence to sentence. A couple of times, it’s within a sentence.

Again, it’s not a bad book, just a little too over-the-top to take seriously. The story will appeal to fans of High Fantasy but fans of horror might be left cold. That’s not expected in a story featuring Dracula as the main villain.
Profile Image for Loren.
198 reviews
June 9, 2017
I was drawn to this new paranormal / fantasy story by the word vampire and the beautiful cover. The story takes place in the year 12,205, many years after the world as we know it was destroyed by humans and vampires alike. We meet Luca, who is half-human and half-vampire known as a dhampir and who can walk in the daylight. Scorned by humans and vampires, Luca has lived a lonely, solitary, life for over a thousand years as he makes his living as a hunter of vampires, while seeking revenge against his father, Dracula. While healing in the earth after being injured and stiffed from his last hunting job, he has a vivid dream of a red-haired goddess, only to be awakened by one in the same person, Kate. Kate has great magical powers and is a warrior, defender, nurturer and as it turns out, Queen of a world known as Icarya. Once he meets her and her traveling companions from Hercules to a pegasus, and other magical creatures, from that moment on, Luca is no longer lonely, and learns there are many worlds, things to learn, and adventures to be had. The story kept me engrossed in the characters and sub-stories throughout the book. The relationship and passion between Luca, who had never had a friend or been loved, and Kate, the kind-hearted warrior, was what really kept my interest. I did, at one point, feel that it was dragged out and could have been shorter, but then the story ended abruptly, leaving me hanging there. I'll definitely have to read book 2, which we get a steamy preview of at the end of this book.
Profile Image for Whitney.
637 reviews56 followers
September 17, 2019
Hi, I'm a human, also a powerful witch. I live on a paradise planet with tons of carbon-based life forms, including centaurs and Hercules, and oh, by the way, I'm also queen of the whole place. My crew and I took a trip to Earth one day, because our planet is powered by quartz, for some reason, and we can go into an Earth cave and mine all the quartz we want. I randomly encountered a guy half buried in the dirt. Good news, he wasn't dead, and he's super good-looking. He's a powerful, immortal half-vampire, and he's my lover forever now, because I'm queen and I want him. The bad news: his dad is literally Dracula (no copyright laws apply. That book's in the public domain, bitchezzzz!) And for some reason, Dracula hopped across the dimension to our perfect planet, and he wants to ruin everything. Now it's time for book two!

I'm not a big reader of this sort of book, or how it compares to others. Is it supposed to be mostly about the sex? And the plot is thrown in just because? Neither are that great, honestly. But I love love love it that the author put her favorite messiest erotic adventure thoughts into a novel, and now it's published! High five!
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Rosemarie Hamilton.
69 reviews11 followers
December 15, 2018
I haven't read a book about Vampires in some time, so I was very interested in seeing what this one was all about.`This is a book filled with love, magic, vampires, time travel, and some cool creatures (think Fauns and Water nymphs). There's drama, mystery, and wonder throughout the pages. It really wasn't the vampire story I was expecting to read. I mean Pegasus and Hercules are in this book, ya, you read it right.

The book begins with Luca a dhampir (half human, half vampire). This immediately made me think of the movie Blade since he was Dhampir too. Luca is a vampire hunter, and he's hunting a vampire that is terrorizing a small village. We know the story right, humans do not like vampires (well duh, they always want to kill and suck us dry😅) anyway, it's what Luca get's paid to do, hunt them down and kill them. Luca has a great backstory and I love how Kathryn weaves it into the story, I was for sure feeling it for Luca.

This story is set in a time where electricity does not exist and Dracula is just a story in a book.

I realize quite quickly that we're dealing with more than one world (I got the Narnia feels from this). I enjoy books that build more than one world. However, the focus of book one only deals with one world, with mentions of the other here and there.

We know that Luca has been alive for a long time, and he's been lonely for all of that time. He blames his lonely existence on his father. We quickly realize who his father is

I don't want to say too much here, because I don't want to spoil it for those will pick up this book. But you already know from the description of the book that Luca and Katelyn find each other. They quickly formed an unbreakable bond between them, and I was like for real that quickly, well dang.

This story is captivating, passionate and full of magic and dark fantasy, to say the least.

I was happy when Luca's father was introduced into the story, well I want to see some vampire action okay😃. Anyway, I only got teased with a little bit because I was left with a serious cliffhanger to get over, I was like noooo, wait just a few more pages. Ah, well that means I have to get book two now to find out what the hell happened😅. Which is why we get cliffhangers right?

Except for a few things I didn't care for, such as the lagging in some of the POVs character development or not learning enough about the cool creatures that lives among the humans and the description of some of the lovemaking scenes (okay it could be just me but, who describes lovemaking scenes with "crotch or groin😂?). Apart from that I truly enjoyed the book, it was a great fantasy read.

I will certainly be getting the second book, I have to know the rest of the story.

This book is definitely for us adults eighteen years and over.
Profile Image for Mandy.
2,628 reviews25 followers
November 10, 2018
In the year 12,205 on earth Luca is a dhampir (half human, half vampire) he lives a lonely existence working as a vampire hunter. He dreams of a goddess only to awaken and see the same woman who is Kate - queen of the Icaryan world who has arrived with her travelling companions who will change Luca's life into one of wonder and shared experiences - something he has not experienced before. He will forget this own quest to find and kill his father helping them however his father has not forgotten about him!

I really enjoyed the relationship between Kate and Luca and the way his world was turned upside down as he turned his back on his previous lonely life. It was a charming mixture of a science fiction story and a paranormal story which was definitely a surprise. Enjoyable and well written my one criticism is that the story ended rather abruptly and feel it was a rather brutal way to tempt me to want to read the next book in the series to find out what happens next.
Profile Image for Paca Sad.
234 reviews
August 17, 2017
Not my cup of tea, a sex(y) novel, but with a half vampire and alternate worlds , a hint of magic and intrigue, I gave it a go, I may even read the next installment
322 reviews1 follower
December 27, 2017
This book was fantastical but didn't take itself too seriously and I liked it. Not my usual genre...it was a gift...but I can't help but think I would like the author.
Profile Image for Mfonemana Uduak.
Author 3 books14 followers
Read
July 8, 2018
I'll tell you what to expect in just a few words;  a captivating tale written in a gripping pattern ensured to keep you reading.
Profile Image for Ramona Plant.
753 reviews20 followers
April 24, 2018
A Vision in Crimson is a captivating book written by Katrhyn Troy. This book is not your usual vampire story, very far from from it. It is actually very unique and different from any vampire story I have read and seen in a movie, and I truly enjoyed that. Let's face it, it is always difficult to tackle a genre that is as often written about as vampires are to then bring something new and different to the table, but this author did just that. She developed an intriguing and captivating plot that had me glue to the pages. There were a few scenes that I am not sure how I feel about, like one that was basically rape, but overall I found this book was fantastic. The pace of it was spot on and never left me feeling like it was dragging out nor did they author ever rush me through the story!

Luca is an adorable character who you can't help but like. He sure got the short end of the stick until Katelyn came to the rescue, almost literally. She finally showed him that not all people are bad and opens a whole new world to him. Their fast romance may have been a bit fast, but for 2 people who have been very deprived in that department it does not really shock me. Katelyn is also an incredibly strong heroine and really will stop at nothing to protect the ones she loves!

I truly enjoyed this book a lot and am already reading the next one. Can't wait to see how that one ends.

Voluntary review of Advance Reader Copy. I was given a complimentary copy of this book by the publisher.
Displaying 1 - 9 of 9 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.