Start by marking “Amma: Healing the Heart of the World” as Want to Read:
Amma: Healing the Heart of the World

Amma: Healing the Heart of the World

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  58 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The spiritual leader Mata Amritandamayi more commonly known as Amma, is considered by many in India to be a living saint. This biography follows her life from her harrowing childhood through to her rise to prominence as a respected, international religious leader and humanitarian.
Published May 1st 2001 by William Morrow & Company

To ask other readers questions about Amma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amma

Carolyn
I loved reading the story of Amma. She is a healer in a world of a lot of suffering. Amma was born in India, and grew up being quite eccentric and different than others. It was soon realized she had special healing powers and she came to be viewed as a person with saintly potential. It is claimed that she performed miraculous healing feats, such as sucking out the toxins in the wounds of lepers and causing them to heal. She has become known as the hugging saint, in which, people, mostly her devo ...more
Ashima
Jan 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Amma, the spiritual god, has been with all of us at all times. We believe her, as she believes us. She knows what is right and wrong; she knows what will happen; she knows what we are thinking; and she knows the language of nature.

'Amma : Healing the Heart of the World' is an excellent book which takes us into the world of freedom, and a must read for any person, whether he is spiritual or not. Her hug and her touch are so wonderful, that you feel you are born again with amma's grace!
RemembranceOfThingsPabst
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love Amma. I am a Christian, but I believe Amma is the Divine Mother in the body of a woman.

I've read a couple of books in the Amma canon— maybe this one is the best? I'm not sure Amma translates well into the written word. Amma must be experienced!
Therese
Oct 28, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Very spirtually motivating. Amma,(meaning mother) has carved out her legacy with hugging around the world and unconditionally sharing her healing gifts. This simply yet profoundly confirms the importance of human touch and it's powers to heal.
Bw Palm
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting read. My friend worked at her hospital in India for one year.(She is a radiologist.)
Amma typically hugs 50,000 people in one evening and then will travel to another town and do the same. Amma had a very hard childhood but overcame all adversity to become a top religious leader.
Cheryl
Feb 20, 2012 added it
Amma is my Guru, therefore I have a bias, but her books are inspiring, and bring a beautiful simplicity to our spiritual lives. Her service to this world is unparalled. Easy to read, but life changing if you have not read.
Dennis
Nov 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My Guru. My Love.
Rwildfon
Nov 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Amma is thought to be a living saint. Check her out, go get a hug if you can get to where she travels and get back to me about it.
Aimee
Kara Canalicchio
Dec 21, 2008
Amanda
Sep 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
this is a must read if you enjoy furthing your knowledge of spirituality!
Victoria
S
Jan 23, 2016
John
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
If you haven't been graced by Amma's darshan, read the book and discover for yourself.
Joe Krehbiel
rated it did not like it
Jun 19, 2011