Start by marking “Sabbath Wine” as Want to Read:
Sabbath Wine

Sabbath Wine

“My name’s Malka Hirsch,” the girl said. “I’m nine.”
“I’m David Richards,” the boy said. “I’m almost thirteen.... and I am dead.”
Published 2016 by Mythic Delirium

To ask other readers questions about Sabbath Wine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sabbath Wine

Start your review of Sabbath Wine
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This bittersweet fantasy story, free to read online here at Mythic Delirium, is one of the current crop of Nebula award nominees in the short story category. Review first posted on Fantasy Literature:

On the steps of a Brooklyn brownstone in the early 1920s, nine year old Malka, a Jewish girl, and twelve year old David, a black southern Baptist boy, get acquainted. She’s surprised that he wants to spend time talking with a younger girl but, as he informs her, he’s actually dead, so that makes a
Jokoloyo
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I inform the minor bad thing first: The start is rather slow, need some time to build the momentum. The second half of the story is a lovely gem with highly emotional ending.

For a short story, it has pretty rich in details in cultures. It started as two children met and became friends, but then the story would growing, not only focusing to the children but also to their fathers.
Leslie
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was kind of bored with this one from about the middle until the very end. Then it punched me in the face.
Oleksandr Zholud
Nov 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: n-h-short-story
This short story was nominated for Nebula in 2017.

“My name’s Malka Hirsch,” the girl said. “I’m nine.”
“I’m David Richards,” the boy said. “I’m almost thirteen.... and I am dead.”

Young Jewish girl meets not much older black boy in the first year of the Prohibition. She invites him (and his father) to the Sabbath dinner. Her father, socialist and atheist wants to please her but where to get a kosher wine?

A poignant story of fathers and their kind and about our world, which can be sometimes too
Daniel Clark
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Perfect little short story. A tease here, a tug on the heart strings there, a dash of nostalgia, a wince of pain, fun ending. Loved it.
Marco
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, sci-fi-awards
A beautiful short story, and Nebula award nominee, set in the America during prohibitionist, adroitly speaking about xenophobia, and the violence it triggers.
This is the story of Malka, the young daughter of a Jewish man, deeply involved in the labor movement, and of David, the son of a store owner, illegally selling alcohol during prohibitionist. David says he is dead, but Malka dismiss the claim as baseless: everybody knows that you cannot touch ghosts, and she has no trouble pinching David.
Ninja
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it
A little pedestrian, if interesting, to begin with, but rolled along to a fairly satisfying conclusion.
John
Jan 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
I read this story as part of the 2018 Nebula Awards showcase. My expectation was to read some novel science-fiction or fantasy ideas. This story entirely fails at that task. It's unfortunate that it was chosen to be in the anthology because it adds nothing of interest to the genre. If you are reading this story because you enjoy science-fiction or fantasy stories, you will likely be disappointed. The author is not at fault. The Nebula Awards have done her, and readers a disservice by ...more
Graham Downs
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a pretty good story. In the beginning, I remember thinking that it's decent, but nowhere near good enough to justify its position as a Nebula Award finalist. At one point, a character is reading a newspaper, and a bit further down, someone interrupts him, and the narrative says he doesn't take his eyes off his book. That's a simple error, easily caught by a proofread.

But like all good short stories, there's a twist at the end. And, while I think a lot of the book up to that point had
David Mccracken
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very sweet. Even as a short story it is almost too long.
Sr3yas
May 15, 2017
Melissa
May 20, 2017
Stacey
Mule kick to the chest. Devastatingly sad and lovely. If I were a voting member, this one would be my pick, in a lineup of sensationally good stories. <3

#nebulanominee

Jun 05, 2017
Jonathan S. Harbour
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-novella
Nebula finalist. Rubbish! Has Barbara Krasnoff not seen The Sixth Sense? And why was this crap nominated? Because it's about Jews, written by a Jew, and its not PC to ignore that? Oh, how i long for a future governed by MERIT. It feels further away with every passing year.

• A Fist of Permutations in Lightning and Wildflowers
  • This is Not a Wardrobe Door
  • Lightspeed Magazine, March 2016
  • Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 117 (Clarkesworld Magazine, #117)
  • Uncanny Magazine Issue 13: November/December 2016
  • The Black God's Drums
  • Apex Magazine Issue 99
  • The Martian Obelisk
  • Uncanny Magazine Issue 18: September/October 2017
  • River of Teeth (River of Teeth, #1)
Barbara Krasnoff has published short stories in Crossed Genres, Electric Velocipede, Space and Time, Apex Magazine, Doorways, Escape Velocity, Sybil's Garage, Behind the Wainscot, Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet, Amazing, Weird Tales, and Descant. She's contributed to the anthologies Clockwork Phoenix 2, Such A Pretty Face: Tales of Power & Abundance, and Memories and Visions: Women's ...more