Start by marking “Emotions Explained with Buff Dudes: Owlturd Comix” as Want to Read:
Emotions Explained with Buff Dudes: Owlturd Comix

Emotions Explained with Buff Dudes: Owlturd Comix

You know how, since the dawn of humanity, great philosophers and poets have dedicated their entire lives to exploring concepts like love, life itself, logic, and sorrow? Well, those great philosophers and poets are dead now, so I win. — Shen

"You know how, since the dawn of humanity, great philosophers and poets have dedicated their entire lives to exploring concepts like
Published October 16th 2018 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Emotions Explained with Buff Dudes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emotions Explained with Buff Dudes

Start your review of Emotions Explained with Buff Dudes: Owlturd Comix
Jane
Emotions Explained with Buff Dudes: Owlturd Comix is not at all what I was expecting. I thought I was going to be reading a book that literally explained different emotions with hilarious-looking buff dudes. That is not what this book is.

Instead, it is a rather amusing book filled with comics about a completely non-buff dude who fights the good fight against a life that seems determined to beat him down.

I think I would have preferred to consume this in smaller doses instead of the one fell
Emma
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it

This little book is very funny and also quite relatable. Sometimes life truly is like some of the moments described in this book. Apparently the author has an Instagram where he posts updates so I'm just going to follow him there to see more of his work and to laugh some more.
This book is a really funny read and would also make a perfect gift for someone.
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
This was just so good! I had the best time reading this one, and it's too bad it's such a fast read. I could read an entire encyclopedia of these little cartoons! They're incredibly relatable and funny. My favorite ones would perhaps be the Personality A and B type cartoons which are pretty accurate xD the whole book will take you probably only a half an hour or so to read, but you will probably be coming back to read it again and again. Something that should definitely be on your shelf, if you ...more
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
If you're a follower of Owlturd Comix, you've probably already read some (or maybe all) of these like I have, but don't let that stop you, because Andrew's comics are totally worth rereading, and having them all in a collection like this is lovely. If you're new to his comics, they're all basically about life and how difficult it can be, especially when you have anxiety! I relate so much to practically every single comic in this book, honestly, and sometimes, you just need someone who gets it to ...more
MissBecka
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to MissBecka by: Jane
A big shout out to NetGalley and Andrews McMeel Publishing for this advanced copy.
This tiny book is packed with giggles.
I don't think I have laughed so hard and so much at a picture book is ages!
This is certainly geared towards adults and is awesome!!!
Filled with so many weird and depressing things we deal with everyday, but delivered with such a fun tone that I can't wait to tell all my friends about it.
Wait I just did...friends.
Carol Flores
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS!
I didn’t know this artist had a book, so I was super excited to read it! And man, it did not disappoint me at all!

I laughed out loud from the very first page and it had me nodding in agreement most of the time. Hell, I even showed some pages to my brother and he was laughing too. The gem of this book is that emotions are mostly human-shaped beings and they have personalities, so it’s rather quite amusing to see, for example, Life, Anxiety, Anger, Sadness, and
Alja Katuin
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
An exeptionally fun and light way of explaining the daily struggles of most people. I'd totally let my kids read this and feel a little bit more confident about them maybe talking to me about this?
I don't have kids though, but I connect with these comics as well. It's nice to see them drawn out as logically as that and to be able to basically point towards one of the comics and say '' I feel like that today.''

I love Owlturd comix. <3
Sarah Theis
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Prepare to bark laugh and then be slightly sad as you realize all these are accurate about life.
Marie
**A free copy was given to me via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. **

I‘ve been a follower of Andrew, also known as Shen, on social media (Twitter and Tumblr) for a while. So I was really thrilled when I saw that his first comic book was up on NetGalley.

The Art:
While I can’t say that it’s cute or amazing, I do think it has a certain appeal to it. I really appreciate that it was colored. I especially like the green one which I suppose is a potato. A
Isaiah
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
To see more reviews check out MI Book Reviews.

I got an ARC of this book.

I have seen bits of pieces of comics by Tsyaston before, rarely would I see the whole thing when it came to the longer pieces about life. I appreciated that the topics were often very emotional and very series, while still being something I could relate to. Who doesn't like a physical manifestation of emotions? That is one of my favorite things in comics and graphic novels. Using buff dudes to explain emotions, especially
Mehsi
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

Eeep! I just love Owlturd/Shen/Andrew's comics. I have been reading them for quite some time, and I am delighted that he is finally getting a book filled with them.

This one didn't contain anything new, at least not that I could see, but I didn't mind. It has been some time ago since I read them, and while they are vaguely in my mind, I still laughed, still nodded along, still agreed.

This one is all about life. Life punching you
. (not active on this account stop adding me)
ARC kindly provided by Andrew McMeel Publishing in exchange for an honest review.

Emotions Explained with Buff Dudes is a short graphic novel about the woes of millennial life. Tsyaston discusses debt, pessimism, societal expectations, etc. in a humorous way where you relate to the tragedy happening before your eyes, but you have to laugh.

Normally, I find that many comic collections fail to make me laugh or some are funny and the rest just fall flat. However, this graphic novel had me
Jessica
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's no secret how much I love Shen Comix. They're my daily dose of giggles but, more than that, I love how poignant a lot of them are. If you're a human being with thoughts and emotions, perhaps with a pinch of anxiety, you'll see yourself in a lot of what Shen does. That's why I was so excited to support this collection!

It's true that there's nothing necessarily new in here, but it does collect some of my favorite Shen pieces all in one place. If you're new to these, you'll get to meet
Shruti Ramanujam
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions expressed here are my own.

Emotions Explained With Buff Dudes is...exactly what it says it's about. It's a set of comics on life itself by Andrew Tsyaston, the person behind Owlturd Comix and Shen Comix. The main character in Tsyaston's comics is Shen. I've been following Shen and his antics for a long time now. He's the kind of fictional character you can't help but relate to.

He stays up
This is another case of, if you read this comic on the Internet, you might want to have a printed collection, and if you haven't, then you might want to have a collection, to read it all in one shot. The jokes are humorous, though not fall off your chair so. Here are two examples, below.

It is a good collection. Some of the "jokes' are more sad than funny, which is sort of how humor is.

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available for an honest review.
Nora Eliana
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book contains a collection of little comics that you're most likely familiar with if you frequent sites like Tumblr, Pinterest and co.

I had already seen some of these, but a lot were actually new for me. And practically all are very relatable. They tell the struggles of being introvert, having anxiety or just everyday adult life issues.
The art style is quirky and the idea of explaining everything with buff dudes is hilarious and you just wanna say: Yep, that's how it is to a lot of these
Mel
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the back cover: "Emotions Explained with Buff Dudes is your fully illustrated guide to the hyper-conflicted, tragicomic feelings of our age." I couldn't agree more. I've seen a handful of these sprinkled across the internet and they always get a laugh out of me, it's great to see more young illustrators publishing their collections of their work because their comics are all too relatable. The fatalism is a strong with this one.

*Thanks NetGalley and Andrews McMeel for the review copy.*
(ZanyAnomaly) Sai Ram
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-arcs

I've always loved webcomics and Owlturd Comix is definitely one of my favorite webcomic creators! I had so much fun laughing aloud and shouting "RELATE" while reading through this one!
I WANT MORE BOOKS PLEASE!

Definitely a book to check out :3
Theresa
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I laughed out loud (literally) at every single page. I got my copy from the library, but I will DEFINITELY be buying this. Super relatable and the illustrations are hilarious.
Carrie Templeton
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yes, yes, yes, yes! This was a quick but totally on the nose read for me. So many relatable ideas in one place. Emotions are hard, but they’re fun to read about when there are buff dudes around.
Jackie B. - Death by Tsundoku
Emotions Explained by Buff Dudes is a fun and light way to begin a dialogue about emotions and what it means to be human. The internal feelings and experiences we have are manifested in a physical form. They are pitted against our protagonist who is just trying to cope with life, as we all are. I love these physical manifestations of feelings, personalities, and other intangibles. It's easy to see my own experiences wrapped up on this page. And that is a talent! It's hard to take something ...more
Nalibooks
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you! The ARC of this book was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I could definitely relate to these! Cheating internet with sleep? Coffee (tea in my case...) before life attacks you in the morning? NOUP. Sharing your hopes and dreams? NOUP. Crushed!

The book is about real issues, real feelings and things some people should be aware of (and being aware would lead to them treating others better... like knowing of us really really late birds), but it
Bunny
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Received via Netgalley in exchange for a fair and unbiased review.

Shen comics are your typical Tumblr fare, making jokes about life events and mental health. They're well drawn and almost never fail to make me laugh. There's nothing that perks up your morning like reading a comic where LIFE is a massively roid raged character who wakes you up with a studded baseball bat.

But along with the humor based on life problems, Andrew comes up with actual sweet adorableness, and those are sprinkled
Cassandra
This is one stunning collection of loud of loud/ cry internally jokes! I found the comics to be completely relatable, and beautifully illustrated. I certainly couldn't draw that good. This will be my new go to book for gifting to anyone whos having a bad day. Pure coffee inducing, life crushing, anxiety-fighting, too real to be anything but funny gold. We need more of this! Keep it coming! Write more!

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for giving me a digital copy of this book in exchange
Emmy
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
As always, Tsyaston manages to perfectly illustrate the highs and lows of 20 to 30-something life. From student loans to insecurities, and competitiveness to having your ass handed to you by life, this is a perfect, relatable read for most millennials. Sort of like Sarah's Scribbles, but written by a guy. A lot of fun, and a super-quick read.
Sahana Reddy
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First of all thanks to Netgalley for providing me a free copy in exchange for a honest review.

This was such a funny book that had the best jokes. So many of them already appear as memes on Facebook. I love such books they are uplifting and make you feel better when you are in a mood.

This book is probably 15+ just because the younger generation might not relate much with it. Other than that there is no reason anyone shouldnt read this book. Its an excellent read please try it.
Radwa
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, comics, netgalley
Man, I'm in love with these books, and it just confirms my love for these artists I've been following for a long time online. This book made me tear up and laugh out loud with how true and relatable and hilarious it is. Also, That Ouran High School Host Club reference was gold! These are comics about life and dreams and hopes and our inner demons, but they are so glorious, that I'm back to rereading it after posting this review!!!
Thanks for netgalley for the free arc!
Linda
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
*netgalley review*

I could relate to every comic on the book. It was so hilarious. In the book there is a guy who wants to be happy and he fights against life however it tries to let him down. We all sometime feel like that guy on the book, don't we? Seeing that formed in a book really made me laugh and liked Andrew Tsyaston's imagination. Recommend it.
Amy!
Some of these strips were laugh-out-loud funny, and nearly all of them were a personal attack against me. Read really quickly while on the reference desk to determine if it was fiction or not (it is fiction, fyi).
Constance
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
I laughed out loud. More than once.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Safely Endangered Comics
  • Super Chill: A Year of Living Anxiously
  • The Book of Onions: Comics to Make You Cry Laughing and Cry Crying
  • oh no
  • Slothilda: Living the Sloth Life
  • Be Everything at Once: Tales of a Cartoonist Lady Person (Cartoon Comic Strip Book, Immigrant Story, Humorous Graphic Novel)
  • Loading Penguin Hugs: Heartwarming Comics from Chibird
  • Just Peachy: Comics About Depression, Anxiety, Love, and Finding the Humor in Being Sad
  • Book Love