Start by marking “Quiet Girl in a Noisy World: An Introvert's Story” as Want to Read:

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  4,661 ratings  ·  1,072 reviews
Sweet, funny, and quietly poignant, Debbie Tung’s comics reveal the ups and downs of coming of age as an introvert.

This illustrated gift book of short comics illuminates author Debbie Tung's experience as an introvert in an extrovert’s world. Presented in a loose narrative style that can be read front to back or dipped into at one’s leisure, the book spans three years of D
Published November 7th 2017 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Quiet Girl in a Noisy World, please sign up.
Elyse I would unequivocally say yes. From my own personal experiences of friends and loved ones, the readers are more introverted than the non- or less…moreI would unequivocally say yes. From my own personal experiences of friends and loved ones, the readers are more introverted than the non- or less readers.(less)

·  4,661 ratings  ·  1,072 reviews

Amalia Gavea
Two weeks ago I read Book Love by Debbie Tung and I adored it. I couldn’t wait to read Quiet Girl in a Noisy World, a beautiful work of Art that depicts the special, demanding nature of the ‘’introverts’’ who have to put up (personally speaking) with a world that likes to talk too much, rarely saying anything meaningful…

Motivated by my own hesitation to ask questions, I learned to ‘’read’’ my students’ eyes. I know when they have difficulties and questions. Unlike my own teachers who used to say
C.G. Drews
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was so entirely RELATABLE for introverts everywhere. I basically flipped through the pages just going "yep same same same me...very me...same..." continually so you know the book is a winner there. It's kind of like an autobiography comic of an artist just trying to cope in a world full of very loud extroverts who want to SOCIALISE WHAT IS WITH THAT WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT.

I also think the art was so so cute!! It felt so expressive even though it was really simple. And Debbie was obviously t
Raeleen Lemay
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
THIS BOOK IS ME. I'd much rather stay home snuggled up with a book and a cup of tea than go to a party, and my quiet boyfriend and quiet cats are my favorites to hang out with <3
Lola
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
A quiet book about a quiet girl who does not quite fit into this world.

Debbie thinks there is something wrong with her. She’d rather spend her weekends alone than party at a friend’s house. It’s not that she has trouble making friends. She is kind and lovely, who wouldn’t want to be in her company?

No, the problem is she always feels exhausted after spending time with even the best of friends. Even family. Even her boyfriend. It’s like there’s this imaginary battery hanging above her head every t
Nat
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, arc
Sweet, funny, and quietly poignant, Debbie Tung’s comics reveal the ups and downs of coming of age as an introvert.

Quiet Girl in a Noisy World-- bookspoils
There’s a fine line between being an introvert and having social anxiety, and the author of this book managed to truthfully showcase both. This illustrated gift book full of short comics will make you want to say "STOP READING MY MIND!" Debbie Tung fully managed to show me those shadowy parts of myself through her story.

Also, the title Quiet Girl in a Noisy World perfectly gets me.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]

This book is the perfect portrayal of the life of an introvert, 100%. I related so freaking hard to every single thing that Debbie said, and I found myself snickering and nodding along to pretty much every other page. If you're an introvert - especially one who doesn't frequently find books you can relate to very well - I highly recommend picking up a copy of this when it releases!

Thank you to NetGalley and Andrews McMeel Publishing for the ARC in exchange for an honest review!
[Shai] Bibliophage
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm an introvert, but unlike the author or this graphic novel, I consider mine as mild. I prefer just to stay at home, read a book, or watch a movie/series online than going to the beach or doing sports. That's where my reticence ends because on the contrary, I'm a talkative person, opinionated, a little assertive, and more of a motivator. However, Debbie Tung's case is more severe because she got some problem communicating and dealing with others.
Quiet Girl in a Noisy World: An Introvert's Story
I'm quite sure that a lot of introverts and book
Kate (GirlReading)
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-favourites
Have you ever read a book that was so ridiculously relatable, you weren't sure whether to laugh or cry? Yeah, that was me and Quiet Girl in a Noisy World. Yet, whilst reading it, I was wearing an smile ear to ear smile from the first page until the last.

It was funny, adorable, heart breaking, heart warming, painful, honest, inspirational and oh so relatable. The artwork and its simple back and white colour scheme was utterly gorgeous and inviting.

I would without a doubt recommend this to all i
Schizanthus
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Introverts of the world unite! In your home... on your couch or in bed... alone... Just the way we like it!

Debbie Tung has done a brilliant job of turning my biography into a graphic novel. Sure, she got my name wrong and I'm not married to a wonderful extrovert called Jason, but she got everything else spot on so who am I to quibble? Okay, so maybe Quiet Girl in a Noisy World wasn't written with me specifically in mind, but it could have been! Debbie has totally nailed what being an introvert l
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This whole book is so relatable!
It was like I was reading a story about myself.
The feelings, the thoughts and the reactions reminded me of myself and I loved every page of this book.

Definitely worth a read!
Hilary
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Hilary by: Lisa Vegan
I enjoyed this even more than Book Love. Debbie Tung's artwork is lovely, I really enjoyed reading this story in pictures. I loved the thought bubbles and imagined scenarios, it goes without saying that there will be lots in here that introverts and readers will identify with and certainly raise a smile or two! I like the way the couple in this book compliment each others personalities and I enjoyed the snapshots looking into their life together.

This was a quick fun read and one I would happily
Michelle
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michelle by: Amalia Gavea
Shelves: graphic-novel
I have been an introvert all my life, and I used to think this was a problem. Introverts do not always have the best reputation. We can be seen as rude, antisocial, and insecure. As a child, I felt like I wasn’t good enough as a whole person because of my reserved nature. Thankfully, I’ve come to learn that being an introvert is not a sign of weakness -- this is just a part of who I am, and I’m going to live my life on my own terms.

“Quiet Girl in a Noisy World “ by Debbie Tung holds a special pl
Warda
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A book all introverts need. A book extroverts need. A book people need to understand those who have introverted family members and friends and do not get why we're so socially reserved or prefer cancelled plans to a party.

This book SPOKE to me!
peachygirl
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You are shy, an over-thinker, an empath, a bit quirky and would rather stare at your walls all day than go out and socialize. You're not weird. And you're definitely not alone.
You're an introvert and you're awesome the way you are!

My mum says this to me often and although my plaguing self doubts have always tried to refute it aggressively, I've learned to mute it. (to some extent. I'm still a proud work in progress!)

This book was so relatable that after every page I was hit with a pang of nos
Lisa Vegan
This is my second borrowed Hoopla book. My first was Book Love, another book by this same author/artist. I’d found myself out and with some unexpected free time and without my current hardcover book so I borrowed this one. I read it in one day. These comics books lend themselves well to e-reading, even though normally I read paper books.

I adore Debbie Tung’s art and I appreciate her POV and identify with much (but not all) about her life and experiences.

I’m not as introverted as the author. I’
David Schaafsma
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-women, gn-psych
I haven't read any of the introvert books such as Susan Cain's work, Quiet. I am on record as not liking much two of the most popular memoir-ish, self help-ish, introvert-ish books that were #1 and #2 on the 2018 Goodreads Graphic Novels and Comics award list, Sarah Anderson's Herding Cats and Little Moments of Love by Catana Chetwynd. But I was a largely introverted kid until (I met a girl when) I was eighteen. My mom, worried about me and all my closed bedroom door reading, and told me repeate ...more
Clumsy Storyteller
One of my favorite books this year <3.

Soooooo Relatable!
Manybooks
Debbie Tung's graphic novel autobiographical sojourn into her highly introverted world and personality, her Quiet Girl in a Noisy World: An Introvert's Story has indeed been a bit like looking intensely into a reflecting mirror for an extended period of time, as so much (not all of it of course, but definitely and in fact a sizeable majority) of her depicted and described scenarios could have been taken almost entirely and "verbatim" from my own life story (as while I am not in any way quite as ...more
Romie
My little introvert self loved this so much.

Of course I decided to dive into this graphic novel with my favourite beverage : a huge mug of warm tea.

This graphic novel just had a really soothing effect on me, it allowed me to take some me time and simply enjoy reading about my beautiful introverts.

Being an introvert in this too noisy world can be exhausting! Every morning you wake up and you already know you’ll come home extremely tired because the world is working against you. Being an introver
Antoinette
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
Beautifully illustrated graphic novel that I could most certainly identify with. I prefer quiet to social gatherings. I like being around my close knit family and find social interactions exhausting. Give me books and space and I am happy. It's nice to know there are "others" like me. Yes, we learn to meld with others, but ultimately we like our "quiet" and there's nothing wrong with that :)
Konstantin
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 This was just so relatable and I fully immersed myself into this. I know these sketches will be my companion, and I will return to them often. It perfectly showed some of my inner questionings, nightmares and dreams and gave them a new life. And it is just so comforting to know there's more INFJs outside ready to share their story. I know it takes some courage to put your thoughts onto paper, but Debbie Tung did just that. And I'd like to thank her for that.

Not much more to say - I'm left a
Scarlet Cameo
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Approximately, I follow Debbie's drawns since 1 year. Her images are cute, pretty and sadly accurate for a certain moment of my life, so when I saw this book I know that I must read it to see if there's something new and it was.

Debbie is an amazig artist that create the right stories for the right time, she can show things that are so sad but represent the life as it is for some people, and give a lot of a very deep self. This isn't the most profund book in the life, but is actually a really goo
Sara M. Abudahab
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such a cute read! And have to say I really found a lot of myself between those pages <3 I was smiling the whole time because I know exactly how Debbie feels :)
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

Initial post reading thoughts:

Well, if this wasn't the most relatable thing I have ever read...

What I Liked

The relatable-ness. Oh my god this graphic novel was way too relatable. I've known that I am an introvert for a very long time now, but it's so great to see a story like this that is just so completely relatable. From thinking about embarrassing things you did years ago to carrying a book around with you everywhere you go, even if you know you won't be able to read it. These are all thing
Prashasti
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, kindle
Finally, I got to read my favorite book for life and also, this happens to be my priciest Kindle purchase :P but it's worth it!

So being an INFP, every word and illustration struck a chord with me...throughout reading this book, I was like-Oh, that's me! Even that's me! That's soo me! Same! Me too! Hi-5!

I really never wanted this book to end, it ended so abruptly that I was like-What? Nooo! I want more!!!

This is insanely recommended to each and every introvert out there, you're going to 100% rela
Kelli
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
There is an unexpected vulnerability here that surprised me. Even though I’m more of an extrovert, I found some common ground and shared feelings. I always thought the cover art was a large stuffed iguana (and i never understood why), so I laughed out loud when I saw what it really was. 4 stars
Jacob Proffitt
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel, humor
This was exactly what I thought it would be, but in the best possible way. Tung's illustrations are endearing and the story is a forthright autobiography with poignant moments and some great hidden depth. A lot of bookish nerds who fall into the introvert bucket will recognize themselves here. But even those of us like me (who aren't at all shy and have no trouble talking with people) will find resonant messages and situations to relate to.

But I hope this book finds a wider audience than just in
Heather
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“A useful guide for extroverts who need some help understanding their less social counterparts, and a huge sigh of relief for introverts everywhere...” -Yumi Sakugawa

I related to every single page in this book. It was great, and it only took me 20 minutes to read! I absolutely loved this!
lydia
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book captures the struggles of an introvert's life, whose paradise is their home and their hell is smalltalk. So relatable.

I mean:

and:

and:

Amina
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Page after page, all I did was nodding, mmmming and relating to almost all the situations. I've found the art to be simple and highly enjoyable, it was a fun read.

description

Thanks Netgalley and the publisher for the copy!

• Super Late Bloomer: My Early Days in Transition
  • Lighter Than My Shadow
  • Fetch: How a Bad Dog Brought Me Home
  • Diary of a Tokyo Teen: A Japanese-American Girl Draws Her Way Across the Land of Trendy Fashion, High-Tech Toilets and Maid Cafes
  • Lost Soul, Be at Peace
  • Our Cats Are More Famous Than Us: A Johnny Wander Collection
  • Becoming Unbecoming
  • Louis parmi les spectres
  • Your Black Friend and Other Strangers
Deborah “Debbie” Tung is a cartoonist and illustrator from Birmingham, England. Her comics are based on simple (and sometimes awkward) everyday life moments and her love for books and tea. She runs a Tumblr blog, Where’s My Bubble?, where she first started sharing her comics. She lives with her husband and works from home in her quiet little studio.

Tumblr