Start by marking “Quiet Girl in a Noisy World: An Introvert's Story” as Want to Read:
Quiet Girl in a Noisy World: An Introvert's Story

Quiet Girl in a Noisy World: An Introvert's Story

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  8,731 ratings  ·  1,858 reviews
Sweet, funny, and quietly poignant, Debbie Tung’s comics reveal the ups and downs of coming of age as an introvert.

This illustrated gift book of short comics illuminates author Debbie Tung's experience as an introvert in an extrovert’s world. Presented in a loose narrative style that can be read front to back or dipped into at one’s leisure, the book spans three years of D
Published November 7th 2017 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Quiet Girl in a Noisy World, please sign up.
Elyse I would unequivocally say yes. From my own personal experiences of friends and loved ones, the readers are more introverted than the non- or less read…moreI would unequivocally say yes. From my own personal experiences of friends and loved ones, the readers are more introverted than the non- or less readers.(less)

·  8,731 ratings  ·  1,858 reviews

Start your review of Quiet Girl in a Noisy World: An Introvert's Story
Amalia Gkavea
Two weeks ago I read Book Love by Debbie Tung and I adored it. I couldn’t wait to read Quiet Girl in a Noisy World, a beautiful work of Art that depicts the special, demanding nature of the ‘’introverts’’ who have to put up (personally speaking) with a world that likes to talk too much, rarely saying anything meaningful…

Motivated by my own hesitation to ask questions, I learned to ‘’read’’ my students’ eyes. I know when they have difficulties and questions. Unlike my own teachers who used to say
C.G. Drews
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was so entirely RELATABLE for introverts everywhere. I basically flipped through the pages just going "yep same same same me...very me...same..." continually so you know the book is a winner there. It's kind of like an autobiography comic of an artist just trying to cope in a world full of very loud extroverts who want to SOCIALISE WHAT IS WITH THAT WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT.

I also think the art was so so cute!! It felt so expressive even though it was really simple. And Debbie was obviously t
Cristina Monica
A quiet book about a quiet girl who does not quite fit into this world.

Debbie thinks there is something wrong with her. She’d rather spend her weekends alone than party at a friend’s house. It’s not that she has trouble making friends. She is kind and lovely, who wouldn’t want to be in her company?

No, the problem is she always feels exhausted after spending time with even the best of friends. Even family. Even her boyfriend. It’s like there’s this imaginary battery hanging above her head every t
Mrinmayi
Jun 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Had to share this...😂
Intoverts vs Extroverts

Trust me guys...sometimes I have to remind myself that majority of people on GR are introvrts and I need to shut the hell up😅😂

As an extrovert who is surrounded by introverts 24/7.....
I can say that this book pretty accurate
It did a great job of portraying the "introvert nature"
While many of the things that happened were not relatable to me directly...
I had seen most of my friends go through it..
We are a groupn of 5 friends and I am the only extrovert..
Nat
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, arc
Sweet, funny, and quietly poignant, Debbie Tung’s comics reveal the ups and downs of coming of age as an introvert.

Quiet Girl in a Noisy World-- bookspoils
There’s a fine line between being an introvert and having social anxiety, and the author of this book managed to truthfully showcase both. This illustrated gift book full of short comics will make you want to say "STOP READING MY MIND!" Debbie Tung fully managed to show me those shadowy parts of myself through her story.

Also, the title Quiet Girl in a Noisy World perfectly gets
peachygirl
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019
"You are shy, an over-thinker, an empath, a bit quirky and would rather stare at your walls all day than go out and socialize. You're not weird. And you're definitely not alone. You're an introvert and you're awesome the way you are!"

My mum says this to me often and although my plaguing self doubts have always tried to refute it aggressively, I've learned to mute it (to some extent). I'm still a proud work in progress!!

This book was so relatable that after every page I was hit with a pang of n
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]

This book is the perfect portrayal of the life of an introvert, 100%. I related so freaking hard to every single thing that Debbie said, and I found myself snickering and nodding along to pretty much every other page. If you're an introvert - especially one who doesn't frequently find books you can relate to very well - I highly recommend picking up a copy of this when it releases!

Thank you to NetGalley and Andrews McMeel Publishing for the ARC in exchange for an honest review!
[Shai] Bibliophage
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm an introvert, but unlike the author or this graphic novel, I consider mine as mild. I prefer just to stay at home, read a book, or watch a movie/series online than going to the beach or doing sports. That's where my reticence ends because on the contrary, I'm a talkative person, opinionated, a little assertive, and more of a motivator. However, Debbie Tung's case is more severe because she got some problem communicating and dealing with others.
Quiet Girl in a Noisy World: An Introvert
Quiet Girl in a Noisy World: An Introvert
I'm quite sure that a lot of introverts and book
Kate (GirlReading)
Have you ever read a book that was so ridiculously relatable, you weren't sure whether to laugh or cry? Yeah, that was me and Quiet Girl in a Noisy World. Yet, whilst reading it, I was wearing an smile ear to ear smile from the first page until the last.

It was funny, adorable, heart breaking, heart warming, painful, honest, inspirational and oh so relatable. The artwork and its simple back and white colour scheme was utterly gorgeous and inviting.

I would without a doubt recommend this to all i
Swaroop Kanti
Jan 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Debbie Tung has very nicely illustrated a vivid and clear potrayal of an introvert. This one`s for all the introverts to understand themselves, and for all the extroverts to get a sense of power, energy and excitement of being an introvert.

- - -

Introvert: Latin , "inward," and "turning."

:: a person who tends to turn inward mentally.
- avoids large groups of people.
- feels more energized by time alone.
Michelle
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michelle by: Amalia Gkavea
Shelves: graphic-novel
I have been an introvert all my life, and I used to think this was a problem. Introverts do not always have the best reputation. We can be seen as rude, antisocial, and insecure. As a child, I felt like I wasn’t good enough as a whole person because of my reserved nature. Thankfully, I’ve come to learn that being an introvert is not a sign of weakness -- this is just a part of who I am, and I’m going to live my life on my own terms.

“Quiet Girl in a Noisy World “ by Debbie Tung holds a special p
Warda
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A book all introverts need. A book extroverts need. A book people need to understand those who have introverted family members and friends and do not get why we're so socially reserved or prefer cancelled plans to a party.

This book SPOKE to me!
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can so well relate with Debbie. Being an introvert is not a weakness or a negative personality/behaviour. It's just how we are. This comic collection is not meant to be funny or to entertain everyone. It's just the reality of how we as introverts act and behave and feel. It's not our fault if people do not understand us. We are comfortable as how we are. And yes, there's nothing wrong with us.
Thank you, Debbie Tung, for this fabulous collection. You are an inspiration.
I need the rest of the c
Hilary
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Hilary by: Lisa Vegan
I enjoyed this even more than Book Love. Debbie Tung's artwork is lovely, I really enjoyed reading this story in pictures. I loved the thought bubbles and imagined scenarios, it goes without saying that there will be lots in here that introverts and readers will identify with and certainly raise a smile or two! I like the way the couple in this book compliment each others personalities and I enjoyed the snapshots looking into their life together.

This was a quick fun read and one I would happily
Schizanthus Nerd
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Introverts of the world unite! In your home... on your couch or in bed... alone... Just the way we like it!

Debbie Tung has done a brilliant job of turning my biography into a graphic novel. Sure, she got my name wrong and I'm not married to a wonderful extrovert called Jason, but she got everything else spot on so who am I to quibble? Okay, so maybe Quiet Girl in a Noisy World wasn't written with me specifically in mind, but it could have been! Debbie has totally nailed what being an introvert l
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This whole book is so relatable!
It was like I was reading a story about myself.
The feelings, the thoughts and the reactions reminded me of myself and I loved every page of this book.

Definitely worth a read!
Lisa Vegan
This is my second borrowed Hoopla book. My first was Book Love, another book by this same author/artist. I’d found myself out and with some unexpected free time and without my current hardcover book so I borrowed this one. I read it in one day. These comics books lend themselves well to e-reading, even though normally I read paper books.

I adore Debbie Tung’s art and I appreciate her POV and identify with much (but not all) about her life and experiences.

I’m not as introverted as the author. I’
David Schaafsma
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-women, gn-psych
I haven't read any of the introvert books such as Susan Cain's work, Quiet. I am on record as not liking much two of the most popular memoir-ish, self help-ish, introvert-ish books that were #1 and #2 on the 2018 Goodreads Graphic Novels and Comics award list, Sarah Anderson's Herding Cats and Little Moments of Love by Catana Chetwynd. But I was a largely introverted kid until (I met a girl when) I was eighteen. My mom, worried about me and all my closed bedroom door reading, and told me repeate ...more
Manybooks
Debbie Tung's graphic novel autobiographical sojourn into her highly introverted world and personality, her Quiet Girl in a Noisy World: An Introvert's Story has indeed been a bit like looking intensely into a reflecting mirror for an extended period of time, as so much (not all of it of course, but definitely and in fact a sizeable majority) of her depicted and described scenarios could have been taken almost entirely and "verbatim" from my own life story (as while I am not in any way quite as ...more
Clumsy Storyteller
One of my favorite books this year <3.

Soooooo Relatable!
Romie
My little introvert self loved this so much.

Of course I decided to dive into this graphic novel with my favourite beverage : a huge mug of warm tea.

This graphic novel just had a really soothing effect on me, it allowed me to take some me time and simply enjoy reading about my beautiful introverts.

Being an introvert in this too noisy world can be exhausting! Every morning you wake up and you already know you’ll come home extremely tired because the world is working against you. Being an introver
Antoinette
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
Beautifully illustrated graphic novel that I could most certainly identify with. I prefer quiet to social gatherings. I like being around my close knit family and find social interactions exhausting. Give me books and space and I am happy. It's nice to know there are "others" like me. Yes, we learn to meld with others, but ultimately we like our "quiet" and there's nothing wrong with that :)
Scarlet Cameo
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Approximately, I follow Debbie's drawns since 1 year. Her images are cute, pretty and sadly accurate for a certain moment of my life, so when I saw this book I know that I must read it to see if there's something new and it was.

Debbie is an amazig artist that create the right stories for the right time, she can show things that are so sad but represent the life as it is for some people, and give a lot of a very deep self. This isn't the most profund book in the life, but is actually a really goo
Virginie *No more time to write reviews for the moment :( *
After reading Book Love, I couldn't wait to discover the previous work of Debbie Tung.

This one is about introversion and it touched me a lot, as plenty of other readers. I really like how Tung doesn't just tell general stories, but specific moments she lived at work or with her husband. I couldn't stop showing some cartoons to my boyfriend since our relation have so much in common with the one of Debbie and Jason (can't wait to read her next book, Happily Ever After Everything In Between, publi
Rue
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
The title spoke to me so I had to read it...
tumblr-mrpvmg-MAr11rljxbgo1-500

This just makes introverts look like they are high maintenance people who aren't exactly how they appear. The awkward situation that the MC faces didn't quite translate very well and often end up making her seem unintentionally rude. I don't know if it was ment to be funny to see how different she was but I didn't get the humor. Each panel shows a very stereotypical behaviour any introvert might show. It's very distinct from reality so, keep that in m
Konstantin
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 This was just so relatable and I fully immersed myself into this. I know these sketches will be my companion, and I will return to them often. It perfectly showed some of my inner questionings, nightmares and dreams and gave them a new life. And it is just so comforting to know there's more INFJs outside ready to share their story. I know it takes some courage to put your thoughts onto paper, but Debbie Tung did just that. And I'd like to thank her for that.

Not much more to say - I'm left a
Negin
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those who are introverts or those who wish to understand them
Many are familiar with the author’s lovely illustrations.

I enjoyed this book at first, but I then felt that the whole introvert thing was being overdone and it started to get a bit repetitive.
Sara Dahabović
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such a cute read! And have to say I really found a lot of myself between those pages <3 I was smiling the whole time because I know exactly how Debbie feels :) ...more
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
"Hi guys." ~I'm exhausted already~

Alone

This is such a perfect analysis of my life.
The only difference is I’m married to an introvert. And we have the most perfect relationship ever. We don’t attend parties if we don’t feel like it. We stay in most of always. And if we go out it’s just the two us. Best friends, lovers and any other support we might need.

date night

party

survival kit
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

Initial post reading thoughts:

Well, if this wasn't the most relatable thing I have ever read...

What I Liked

The relatable-ness. Oh my god this graphic novel was way too relatable. I've known that I am an introvert for a very long time now, but it's so great to see a story like this that is just so completely relatable. From thinking about embarrassing things you did years ago to carrying a book around with you everywhere you go, even if you know you won't be able to read it. These are all thing

• Lady Stuff: Secrets to Being a Woman
  • Us
  • I Left The House Today!
  • I Think I Am In Friend-Love With You
  • I Will Judge You by Your Bookshelf
  • Big Mushy Happy Lump (Sarah's Scribbles, #2)
  • Slothilda: Living the Sloth Life
  • Herding Cats (Sarah's Scribbles, #3)
  • How to Be Perfectly Unhappy
  • Emotions Explained with Buff Dudes: Owlturd Comix
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Sheets (Sheets, #1)
  • The Worrier's Guide to Life
Deborah "Debbie" Tung is a cartoonist and illustrator from Birmingham, England. Her comics are based on simple (and sometimes awkward) everyday life moments and her love for books and tea. She lives with her husband and son.

Tumblr