Start by marking “Exponentiële organisaties: waarom nieuwe organisaties tien keer beter, sneller en goedkoper zijn - en hoe jij dat ook wordt” as Want to Read:

In business, performance is key. In performance, how you organize can be the key to growth. In the past five years, the business world has seen the birth of a new breed of company - the Exponential Organization - that has revolutionized how a company can accelerate its growth by using technology.
Published February 27th 2015 by Business Contact (first published October 14th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Exponentiële organisaties, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exponentiële organisaties

Start your review of Exponentiële organisaties: waarom nieuwe organisaties tien keer beter, sneller en goedkoper zijn - en hoe jij dat ook wordt
Joe Soltzberg
Overall this book was not very great. It had a bunch of tidbits of useful observations and facts, but nothing groundbreaking. My biggest complaint is the lack of rigor, substance, and depth of examples in the book. I knew I was in for trouble when they gave their definition of an "Exponential Organization":

An Exponential Organization (ExO) is one whose impact (or output) is disproportionally large-at least 10x larger-compared to its peers because of the use of new organizational techniques that
Jose Papo
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most important tip: do yourself a favor and read this book not only once, but many times!

This is really a tour de force on what are the characteristics of exponential organizations (companies who can grow 10 times in an exponential way without the need to grow their assets in a linear way. Different from traditional companies growing X% per year).

The book also explains how to build a startup with these characteristics and even has chapters focused on existing organizations (mid-sized and b
Flavio
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I am currently reading this book but thought I would add my comments as I read it

The first chapter is largely introductory and speaks about the paradigm shift that is taking place among enterprises. Companies and some of their traits are compared to illustrate the differences. Failed initiatives are pointed out and the author gives his argument for the cause of those failures. The author goes on to contrast an exponential organization with a linear organization. I have a math background and at t
Avolyn Fisher
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned, 2016
I really wanted to like this book. The first few chapters began with explosive promise as I hung on every word to hear what was next. I told everyone I came in contact about this book and how amazing it was. It had ah-ha moments sprinkled with mind blowing concepts that had me saying, YES.

Personally, I think chapter 2 was the most impact full chapter that I read and I would highly recommend. unfortunately by chapter 7 I wanted to blow my brains out. Perhaps due to the fact that I was listening
Annie

D: dashboards
E: experimentation
A: autonomy
S: social technologies

The book went through most of the elements superficially by referring to some well known examples, such as Netflix's contest for a better recommendation algorithm. While the grand prize money was substantial ($1,000,000), the winner was able to beat Netflix's algorithm by over 10%. There we
Smaranda
Starts off well but is actually not as smart as originally anticipated in my opinion. Basically it says stay lean and use consultants and rented space and stuff and make sure to prototype. Not entirely convinced by the message of this book to be honest, as it doesn't seem to really go in depth about many of the ideas it is advocating. Could be useful for people with less experience in different types of organizations and also if you haven't read a lot of management books. But ultimately it's a b ...more
Kevin Suitor
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Exponential Organizations
by Salim Ismail

Salim Ismail wrote the book Exponential Organizations to teach us how companies whose impact is at least 10x larger than their peers think differently than the rest of us.

As angel investor David S. Rose once said,

“Any company designed for success in the 20th century is doomed to failure in the 21st.”

This is your roadmap for preparing your business for what’s to come.
Understanding Moore’s Law and its Corollary

Moore’s Law basically states that the performa
Sebastian Gebski
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Believe it or not, I've read it kinda ... by mistake :) Instead of "Reinventing Organizations" I've grabbed "Exponential Organizations". In the end, it was NOT a time wasted - actually, the book starts in a very promising way & truly captures the essence of companies that have managed to achieve exponential growth by smart business model, understanding of marketing conditions, identifying a proper product niche, etc.

Why not 5 stars then?

My rating is 3.5-4 stars because of 2 reasons:
- the furthe
Renato Willi
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excelent book for those feeling "outdated" with current economy/business fast pace, or for those living a "digital transformation", so they'd understand what's happening to the world now.

Great for executives or who's thinking about starting a business.
Tihomir
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book is just a mind-blowing experience on building 10x companies. I really enjoyed reading it. There are lot of insights with a lot of meaningful ideas. Highly recommended reading!
Keith Swenson
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty good book that captures and explains a lot about these new exponential organizations like Uber, AirB&B, Twitter, GitHub, Local Motors, SnapChat, FaceBook. It explains well how they are structured, why they work that way, and even gives suggestions on the qualities that you might look for to identify an up and coming one. The book really does have a lot of good, useful information in it.

The most important point is the Massive Transformative Purpose (MTP). This core idea must be s
Ayham
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Positives: Book full of knowledge in regards to future fast changing and how to cop, build and sustain your exponential organization.
Negatives: since the book is full of knowlege it can be organized more thoroughly.
SJ Loria
I learned more from the podcast by my work amigo Scott Engler (check out podcast #9 here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/c...) than I did the book.

But the main gist of the book goes, matrixed, huge organizations built to dominate the 20th century are being outmaneuvered by smaller organizations that the author dubs "EO" Exponential Organizations. EOs are defined by many characteristics and cool infographs, but if I had to sum them up some of the interesting points they include.
Part-time s
Rick Howard
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Executive Summary

Exponential Organizations is not a must read for all cybersecurity professionals. You do not need the information in this book to do your day-to-day cybersecurity job today and I am not recommending it as a Cybersecurity Canon candidate. But it is a must read for business leaders as a roadmap for what we all might be facing in the next 10-15 years. The authors describe how some future-thinking companies are taking advantage of an information-processing-capability phenomena wher
Jon Nikrich
It's very interesting and thought-provoking. It challenged me to ask questions about the future. It provided some context and explanation to some events from my past. I plan to give the book more thought and then read it again.
João Cortez
It has some interesting ideas about what the author describes as Exponential Organizations (ExO) but overall I think the book is unnecessarily long and repetitive.
Felipe Saldarriaga Bejarano
a great book for everybody (from Tech to Business profiles) to understand how to sophisticate current and emmerging organizations, maybe the term of Exponential feels pretentious but you can assume it as an aspirational more than a sure result of following all the steps.
Celso Martins
Despite having valuable information, it is a book on the blue unicorn model that relies on some bets, such as the heavily mentioned 3d printer, when it tries to predict some aspects of the future. Mentions on Taleb, Ries and Blank, put it as an average book. Good book for audible.
MIGUEL AZAR
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent guide to form or convert a company to an Exponential Organization.
I recommend reading first, Abundance from Peter Deamandis
Saleem Akhtar
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent primer for knowing what the future of work looks like!
Ives
Sep 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book would probably be useful for corporate execs who don't follow technology trends. Less so for those who do.
Hayden
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like the Lean Start up approach, this book looks at the same ideas and gives you a blueprint for creating a business that can grow exponentially no matter if you are a 3 person, or 30,000 person organisation. It's less about how to come up with a great idea, and more about how to build the business around it. It has some really interesting insights into how larger organisations can create, invest in, develop businesses that are free to grow and change without the constraints of the larger ...more
qbp
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eye opening

I really enjoyed reading this book. It was eye opening and enlightening. It makes you change your perspective and look at everything with fresh eyes. It helps us understand that the world is moving at a pace faster than we think, and what are the consequences for our companies and our jobs. I recommend to all professionals who want make a difference and have a positive impact in their companies and especially to CEOs who absolutely need to have this information in mind as they drive
Riccardo Bua
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a fundamental book to get your mindset to shift from achievable targets to moonshots and from linear to exponential thinking. The only issue I find with the book is that it is presenting it as a one and done and as the only solution/approach. I see the potential for disruption being finite, while the possibility for continous improvement and/or innovation infinite, so I don't like the picture it is presenting of a bigger hammer to target the same set of nails, would rather go for it being ...more
Marcela Rueda
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very novel perspective on the characteristics of fast growing and disruptive organizations. The author creates a sense of urgency around the need to leverage information by using technology. The book is filled with examples and tips that can be applied to different types of companies. This is a highly recommended read for anyone in the business world wanting to maintain relevance in a fast changing world.

It should be read a few times to really get the most out of the insights it provides.
Z
The SCALE IDEAS concept is interesting but the format of 100+ pages book is way too long. You might want to try finding an excerpt or a TED talk by Ismail instead of enduring the neverending name-dropping and catalogue of quotes and examples that he had to stuff the book format with. Also, the author can't help it but these very examples dated 2011-2012 are becoming rapidly obsolete.
Jonathan D.
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some really good insights into how companies are being disrupted, how to structure a company to innovate and different techniques to achieve exponential growth.

Was a tad repetitive and was slow to read in certain sections. Also, since it was written 4 years ago, some of the predictions seem a bit ambitious.

Definitely makes you think though.
Aarne
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic, easy to read and understand book that encapsulates the dramatic changes businesses are facing today and especially tomorrow. Strong recommendation for everybody who wants build the next billion dollar company!
Abhishek Shekhar
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disruption by smaller companies/start ups is bound to happen and these companies show exponential growth. The book presents examples proofs and presents this to reader in an academic format. Must read for all.
Yigit Konur
5 star experience for most of dinosaur companies but if you are a startup and reading a lot, it is just boring staff.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Bold: How to Go Big, Create Wealth and Impact the World
  • Abundance: The Future Is Better Than You Think
  • Sonho Grande
  • Scaling Up: How a Few Companies Make It...and Why the Rest Don't (Rockefeller Habits 2.0)
  • Reinventing Organizations: A Guide to Creating Organizations Inspired by the Next Stage of Human Consciousness
  • Measure What Matters
  • Platform Revolution: How Networked Markets Are Transforming the Economy--and How to Make Them Work for You
  • Holacracy: The New Management System for a Rapidly Changing World
  • Simple Rules: How to Thrive in a Complex World
  • The Startup Way: Making Entrepreneurship a Fundamental Discipline of Every Enterprise
  • How Google Works
  • Zone to Win: Organizing to Compete in an Age of Disruption
  • Blitzscaling: The Lightning-Fast Path to Building Massively Valuable Companies
  • The Infinite Game
  • Casais Inteligentes Enriquecem Juntos
  • The Future Is Faster Than You Think: How Converging Technologies Are Transforming Business, Industries, and Our Lives
  • Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future