Start by marking “Lie to Me” as Want to Read:

Lie to Me

Three minutes. That’s all it takes for Meredith’s entire world to fall apart when she watches the videotape of her four-year-old self with Becca, the mother who abandoned her.

Meredith can’t believe what her eyes have seen. Yet what if her memory has locked away the painful reality of her childhood? Can there be any truth in the strange and dangerous story her mother forced
Published April 19th 2017 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about Lie to Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lie to Me

Start your review of Lie to Me
Jan
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, mystery

This review is going to be short and sweet:

An okay mystery.

I wasn't a fan of the characters and it dragged on a bit too long as often happens when you don't connect with a book.

I thought the epilogue was going to tie up some lose ends and provide better closure, but that was a fail in my opinion.

Moving on....

ARC provided by NetGalley
Louise Wilson
Apr 05, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Meredith Banks finds an old VCR tape hidden away in the bottom of a box in her fathers attic. Three minutes of footage was all it had taken for Meredith's world to fall apart. The video shows a 4 year old Meredith with her mother, Becca. Meredith can't believe what she has just watched. Desperate to find the answers, her search takes her to Darkwater Pool, where a murder had taken place 30 years ago. The chapters switch mostly from Meredith's being told in the present and Cara's from ...more
Erin Clemence
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, kindle
Thanks to NetGalley, Bookouture and the author for an electronic ARC of this novel, given in exchange for an honest review.
“Lie to Me” is the first novel from British author, Jess Ryder. In “Lie to Me”, a young woman named Meredith watches a video from her past, one where her long-absent mother is making strange accusations and encouraging a very young Meredith to say odd things on camera under the premise that it’ll “keep Mommy safe”. But as far as Meredith knew her mother gave up on her long
Nicki
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Three minutes of footage on a innocent looking old vcr tape is all it takes to shatter Meredith Banks life and put doubt on everything that she thought she knew about her life so far.

Meredith is totally blown away by what she has just watched.Can there be any truth in the strange story that her mother had forced her to tell on camera.

The search for answers leads Meredith to Darkwater Pool,the scene of the murder of Cara Travers thirty years ago.Could there possibly be a link between her mother a
Carolyn
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Meredith Banks hasn't seen her mother Becca since she was four when her schizophrenic mother was admitted to a psychiatric home. She's enjoyed a happy upbringing with her father and has returned home to help him pack up the house ready for a move to a smaller place in the country. In the attic she finds an old video tape made by Becca featuring her four year old self. It opens a whole can of worms and causes Meredith to look into the events surrounding the death of Cara Travers, whose body was f ...more
Carrie
Apr 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Meredith grew up being raised by her father when her mother left them while Meredith was very young and now she remembers very little about the mother she barely knew. When cleaning out her father's place before a move Meredith comes across an old VHS tape that is obvious it has something to do with her mother. Meredith's father objects to Meredith watching the tape but she is determined to find out more about her past.

After viewing the tape Meredith is more confused than ever about what happen
Dash fan
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
4☆ Intriguing story of Secrets and Lies.

Lie to me is a story of lies, secrets and betrayal. It was exciting and gripping.
The first few pages had me intrigued and once I started I was hooked!

The story starts with Meredith.
She's in the attic sorting though old things when she finds a Video tape labled her name on it.

She is so curious, and gutted she has just threw out her old video player, She takes the video to show her Father who is in the garden. Looking for answers!
Her father is tending to the
Sue
LIE TO ME is a debut psychological thriller by author Jess Ryder.

This book focuses around Meredith, an only child and now a grown woman and her search to find out the truth behind a short three minute VHS tape of her long lost possibly dead mother. Her mother absent for most of her life, was schizophrenic and was never a part of Meredith’s life.

“We’re going to tell our story and then it will all stop and Mummy will be safe. You want Mummy to be safe, don’t you?”

During those three minutes…Mered
Amy
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
All of my reviews can be found on www.novelgossip.com

This is the type of book that I would call a slow burner, one where there’s a sense of underlying tension that’s waiting to rise to the surface. When it begins, Meri has come across an old VHS tape with her mothers handwriting on the label. This is significant to her as her mom, Becca left when she was a toddler and she hasn’t heard from her since. When she asks her father about the tape she is stunned by his strong, angry reaction and knows t
Adrian Dooley
Apr 26, 2017 rated it liked it
An ok debut that promised much but ultimately failed to deliver.

Lie To Me tells the story of Meredith, an only child now a grown woman, the story begins with her clearing out her fathers loft as he prepares for a move.
In there she finds an old box with a VHS tape with her name written on it.

She eventually watches the tape which is of her as a small child, with her estranged mother, a woman who left when she was very young. A woman with severe physiological problems. In the tape it appears tha
Linda Strong
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it

Meredith thinks she is the reincarnation of Cara, a young woman murdered 30 years ago. It's her belief because that is what her mother believed before she walked out of the mental hospital and disappeared a very long time ago. Her mother, Becca, was so convinced she videotaped her young daughter.

So what was the tie between Becca and Cara .. and now Meredith? Is it true ..or just the ramblings of her mentally ill mother?

To find the truth Meredith must search through a past that is not her own. Th
Joanne Robertson
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I do love a book where there is a mystery to solve in the present that has its roots in the past and when Meredith finds an old video tape in the loft she is drawn into an unsolved murder case that she has never heard of before. But as she watches her four year old self on the old VCR, she is shocked by the story her mother has coerced her into telling on camera and becomes determined to uncover the truth.

I loved the way I became very quickly wrapped up in this book. Jess Ryder has a wonderfully
Selene

Genre: Mystery & Thriller
Setting: London, England
POVs: (view spoiler)

Meredith Banks grew up only knowing her father as her primary caretaker. While he gave her his undivided attention and tended to all of her needs throughout childhood and into adulthood, all questions surrounding her mother's whereabouts were always quickly halted by him, so she learned to quench those nagging thoughts and kept them to herself. While cleaning her father's attic one
Renita D'Silva
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What an amazing debut! Loved it from start to finish. I did not want it to end even as I was turning the pages to find out what had happened, what the truth was. A multi-layered, masterful story from a very skillful storyteller. I loved every word. Intriguing and thrilling, packed with twists and turns that I did not see coming. I am so glad to have discovered this author and will be looking forward to more from her. Highly recommend this amazing book to everyone.
Karen
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've rounded the star rating up to 4* but for me, this book falls somewhere between 3.5 and 4.

The accidental discovery of a videotape forms the basis of this story and, as befitting the title, there are plenty of lies and so much deceit in this debut thriller by Jess Ryder.

Meredith Banks hasn’t seen her mother Rebecca for many years, having been bought up by her father. Her father makes it clear that he doesn’t want to discuss her mother but after watching the video which specifically refers to
Holly
Apr 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2017
*3.75

For a debut this was a decent thriller. After Meredith watches 3 minutes of a long ago video, her life changes. What she thought she knew about her mother, Becca, also changes. Raised by her father, she never knew her mother nor did her father ever talk about her. Through Becca, Meredith will be on a search to find out what happened years ago with a woman named Cara. The book alternates between Meredith and Cara. This will have some twists and turns to keep you reading and wanting to find a
Sam (Clues and Reviews)
When Meredith (Meri) finds an old home movie of her and her mother, she is surprised when her father doesn’t want her to watch it. She had never known her mother, Becca. After watching the video, Meri is conflicted. Is this video truly the rambling of a woman with mental health issues, as she has always been told, or could there be any truth in this strange and dangerous story her mother ranted about and forced her to tell on camera?

Lie to Me by Jess Ryder was completely different than what I w
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reviews on www.snazzybooks.com

I really enjoyed this fun, fast-paced mystery. Lie To Me is different to how I'd expected it to be - it's not really about the crime itself, as such (even though that is the basis of the book), but more about the ripple effect that this incident has had across those involved and their family and children, and how it affects their lives.

Though Meredith's ex-boyfriend is investigating the cold case, that's the only real police work included. There is the odd intervie
Clare
With thanks to Netgalley and Bookoutre for this ARC in exchange for an open and honest review.

Lie to Me has been written by Jess Ryder which is a pen name for Jan Page

Meredith Banks has been brought up by her devoted father after her mum (Becca) left when she 4 years old. Becca was diagnosed with schizophrenia and sent to a mental hospital after trying to commit suicide. Not long after being admitted to hospital she escaped and was presumed dead.

Meredith finds an old video tape when emptying he
Lee
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable read, good plot, characters you could identify with and a storyline that kept me engrossed throughout. Thank you to Netgalley , the author and publisher for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Laurie
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
First I would like to thank NetGalley, the publisher, Bookouture, and the very talented author, Jess Ryder for my ARC copy for a fair and honest review.

Where to begin on this one? I guess lets start at the beginning. Meredith finds an old video in which her mother is coaching her to "tell the truth" of being the reincarnated victim of a murder.

This short video is all it takes to throw Meredith's life into utter chaos. Is what her schizophrenic mother saying true? This is what Meredith sets out
Lady Delacour
This crazy mystery
drew me in and
kept my attention from
beginning to end.
The Narrator was So-So.
So many things right.
So many things wrong.
Right, her internal monologue reading.
Right, how she captured the emotions.
Wrong, male and characters voices.
Wrong, the breathing out
she attached to each voice.
Emma
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
The blurb of this book grabbed my attention straight away and that tagline, how can you tell the truth if all you’ve ever known is a lie…I just love it! I was excited to make a start on this intriguing psychological thriller. And the verdict? I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Meredith, the main character in the book is instantly likeable. You join her as she sorts through the contents of her father’s attic where she makes an unexpected discovery. A videotape with her name written on it in her mother’s han
Sarah MacIntyre
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
A crime/physiological thriller with some great twists. A story of a missing mother, a disturbing video, a loving, loyal father Meredith who starts the process of putting the pieces together. A good narration of three characters with a murder connecting them, A satisfying whodunnit. A great debut novel.
Jacob Collins
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
All of my reviews can be found at: http://jacob-reviews-books.blogspot.c...

Lie to Me is a new psychological thriller by debut author Jess Ryder.

When Meredith finds an old video tape whilst clearing out her father’s attic, she is curious to see what it shows. Her father’s reaction to the discovery of the tape is shocking and he urges her to throw it on the fire. But Meredith is determined to see it and to find out what secrets it contains. What Meredith discovers changes her life completely and
Christina McDonald
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: great-cheese
Well written and interesting. A dark secret from her mom's past pulls Meredith deep into the past. Told by three voices, this was an enjoyable read with a number of twists.
~Mandi~
Jun 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Jess Ryder

A Gripping Psychological Thriller is what caught my eye and made me want to read this book. I really enjoy reading books with a twisted ending especially if I'm unable to figure out who the killer is.
Jess Ryder did a good job with her ending. I hadn't figured it out by the end so that made me happy. Although I wasn't able to really connect with any of her characters. There wasn't much suspense in this story with the exception of wanting to know who the killer was. I didn't ge
Joann
"Lie to Me" by Jess Ryder was my first read by this author and I did enjoy it. With the author grabbing my attention from the first page and weaving one intriguing story that had me hooked until the very last page. Three minutes. That's all it takes for Meredith's entire world to fall apart when she watches the videotape of her four-year-old self with Becca, the mother she's never known.
The story alternates between Meredith, Jay and Cara’s perspectives. With two timelines, one in the present an
Elisa
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Lie to Me is unpredictable and addictive. Meri finds an old videotape of her four-year-old self telling a strange story while her mom coaches her. Her mom disappeared shortly afterward and Meri needs to find out if what's on the tape is true or not. If only she would have listened to her dad, who asked her forcefully to burn the tape... but, once she tries to stop the events that she set in motion, it is too late and Meri's life will never be the same. All the supporting characters are well buil ...more
Eva
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Meredith hasn't seen her mother for decades. For all she knows, her mother could very well be dead. When she finds a videotape hidden away at the bottom of a box, it raises a lot of questions. Three minutes is all it takes for Meredith's life to be turned upside down. Why is her mother acting so weird? Why is she asking her daughter to say these strange things on camera. What is her father hiding? And who are Cara and Christopher?

Meredith is desperate to find the answers and her search leads her
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Closer
  • The Bride
  • Love You Gone
  • The Millionaire's Wife
Jess Ryder is a pseudonym of novelist/screenwriter/television producer, Jan Page ...more

News & Interviews

“heatwave. Dad was wearing a T-shirt and baggy shorts, flip-flops on his feet, a bottle of beer in his hand.” 1 likes
“He’d never lie about something that serious.” 0 likes