Start by marking “Hogfather (Discworld, #20; Death, #4)” as Want to Read:
Hogfather (Discworld, #20; Death, #4)

Hogfather

(Discworld #20)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  67,205 ratings  ·  2,023 reviews
Susan had never hung up a stocking . She'd never put a tooth under her pillow in the serious expectation that a dentally inclined fairy would turn up. It wasn't that her parents didn't believe in such things. They didn't need to believe in them. They know they existed. They just wished they didn't.

There are those who believe and those who don't. Through the ages, superstit
Published October 2nd 2006 by Corgi (first published November 7th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Hogfather, please sign up.
Stephanie Knowlson Majority of disc world books can be read in any order. However, if you start at book one you will notice little bits add up in other books along the…moreMajority of disc world books can be read in any order. However, if you start at book one you will notice little bits add up in other books along the way.(less)

·  67,205 ratings  ·  2,023 reviews

Nataliya
This is a book about the nature of belief; the reminder that things we think of as essential, eternal, unbreakable are here because we willed them to be. It is the book about origins, of sorts.

This book is a reminder that what we think of as sweet harmless stories come from darker, scary places. And that is for a reason. So many things stem from the simple fact - we, humans, need to believe; we need to create and fantasize to make the world make any sense, to have the world we think of as perman
Joey Woolfardis
"IT IS THE THINGS YOU BELIEVE IN WHICH MAKE YOU HUMAN. GOOD THINGS AND BAD THINGS, IT'S ALL THE SAME."

Hogfather itself concerns the Discworld, where there are things that control the Universe called The Auditors and they do not like Humans, because Humans are messy. Well, they did invent dullness. And Death is meddling again. His grand-daughter Susan is trying to be normal, but how normal is hitting bogeymen with a poker, really? And we haven't even mentioned the one-eyed Assassin yet, or the
Natalia Yaneva
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
„…човек по природа е митопоетично същество.
– И какво означава това?
– Означава, че си съчиняваме в движение разни глупости.“

Призракът на отминалата Коледа все още витае и Дядо Прас едва що е казал последното си ХО. ХО. ХО. Уютно време човек да седне и да направи разбор на годината. Или на живота си. Или на вярванията си като цяло. А вие в какво вярвате?

Тери Пратчет винаги е натоварвал простичките вярвания с доста тежка символика. Онези вярвания, които не оставят корена на човек да се изтръгне от
Lyn
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

From Discworld’s inception, readers have known that Sir Terry Pratchett has fired a shot across the bow of convention, especially religious institutions, with his concept of a flat world atop four elephants who themselves stood atop of great turtle. Hogfather, his 20th Discworld novel first published in 1996, takes off where 1992’s Small Gods (his 13th) leaves off.

“Hello, inner child, I'm the inner ba
Bradley
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, 2018-shelf, humor
Re-read on Xmas!

And it couldn't have better timing. Who else would like to see Death taking on the role of Discworld's Santa?

Or better yet, have Susan get involved. :)

Or have a hit put out on the Hogfather while Death flies with the pigs?

OR HAVE TO DEAL WITH RIDCULLY's BATH? *shudder*

Well, here's to ants in the AI! I've just upped my score on this one to a full five. For some reason, this Pratchett tickled me in all the best places. :)
BrokenTune
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
IT GETS UNDER YOUR SKIN, LIFE, said Death, stepping forward, SPEAKING METAPHORICALLY, OF COURSE. IT’S A HABIT THAT’S HARD TO GIVE UP. ONE PUFF OF BREATH IS NEVER ENOUGH. YOU’LL FIND YOU WANT TO TAKE ANOTHER.

When it comes to favourite Christmas reads, Terry Pratchett's Hogfather is as perfect as they come for me. It certainly beats Charles Dickens when comes to spreading seasonal cheer and tell an uplifting tale of what makes humans ... human.

Hogfather has got all the classical elements of stor
Mike (the Paladin)
Dec 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is hilarious.

The Auditors have decided that they need to "remove" the Hog Father...so they contact the Assassin's guild and Mr. Teatime (pronounce it "Teh-ah-tim-eh." ) is sent to "inhum" him (but Hog Father isn't human). As you can imagine chaos ensues. With Death taking over the Hog Father's role to keep belief in him alive, while Mr. Teatime (pronounce it "Teh-ah-tim-eh.") and Susan (Deaths grand daughter) are in the realm of the tooth fairy...Teatime trying to use what's there to a
Melindam
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Charity ain’t giving people what you wants to give, it’s giving people what they need to get.”

“There’s a tip, though. Just ‘ho, ho, ho’ will do. Don’t say, ‘Cower, brief mortals’ unless you want them to grow up to be moneylenders or some such.”

I first read the Hogfather in 2010 and it became a favourite by page 15 or maybe page 10. I have reread it before/during Xmas ever since to get into/out of the spirit of things.
It is an awesome book & never stops to amaze / entertain me even aft
Trish
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 20th Discworld novel so, technically, I've read this out of order (I haven't read #19 yet) but it being Christmas made me and my fellow buddy-readers mix it up a little because it was too good an opportunity to pass up.

It is almost Hogwatch Night, the Discworld's version of Christmas and the Hogfather (Santa) is ... a little different. For starters, he's gone. And when he does show up after all, he's a skeleton and his pixie is ... well, Albert plus a considerable number of sherries.
Kaethe Douglas
2/14/2008

Inseparable in my mind from a Futurama Christmas episode. Which is not a bad thing at all.

***
6/21/2014

Winter solstice holiday book at the summer solstice, why not? A wintry book can be just the thing on a day it is too hot to move, let alone go outside.

Here is Death, trying to maintain faith in the jolly man in the red suit, Albert along to coach and play elf, while Susan is diverted from her job as a governess to try and hunt the down the missing big guy. There is the creepiest assassi
Tanja Berg
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Re-reading of "Hogfather", one of my all time favorite books, or so I thought. It's almost 20 years since I read it the first time and I estimate that I've read about 3000 books in the interlude. Nope, all of them are not on goodreads, my memory isn't that good and I've only been keeping track the past nine years. Despite the number of new books under my belt, this held up incredibly well.

Susan, the non-biological grand daughter of Death, is employed as a nanny and trying to be normal. This is m
Lindsay
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, humor
Part of the Pratchett reread with the SpecFic Buddy Reads group in 2019.

The Hogfather, Discworld's Santa Claus analogue, is missing and Death is filling in. Death has also carefully instructed his granddaughter Susan Sto Helit not to get involved, so she leans into her family heritage and investigates the latest interference by the Auditors of Reality.

This is one of the Discworld books that I've reread the most, including both print and audio, and I've seen the mini-series a couple of times. So
Paul
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Still as good on every reread. Pratchett at his best with better insights in to humanity than anyone else.
Michael Jandrok
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my big reading goals for 2018 was to finally dive into Sir Terry Pratchett’s well-loved and legendary Discworld series, and what better way to do that than to tackle the obligatory Discworld holiday novel, “Hogfather?”

(screeching record sound………) WAIT!! Hold on, here…..YOU, Jandrok? You’ve never read any of the Discworld novels? Really? Doesn’t that damage your street cred as a self-appointed authority of science-fiction and fantasy? I mean these books have only been around FOREVER. Prat
Olivier Delaye
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My 2012 two cents: I just about peed my pants with this one!

My 2017 two cents and five mills: just re-listened to this last week, which is kind of appropriate this time of year, and I loved it just as much the second time around, if not more. The fun never seems to stop giving with these books, really. Actually, I finished it while I was doing my cardio at the gym, and people must have thought I had a few screws loose, laughing as I was on the treadmill for, at least to them, no reason at all. I
Wiebke (1book1review)
I cannot express how much I love this book. The writing, the story, the characters all of it comes together to make a perfect book.
K.
Trigger warnings: death, murder, violence.

28/11/2018
I love everything about this. EVERYTHING. Especially the peeing pig and how long that joke is dragged out for. It's spectacluar.

25/12/2017
Yes, I reread this even though I'd just finished it in January. Whatever. It's amazing and I love it.

21/1/2017
I ran out of time to reread this in 2016, so I got in early this year. There is so much INCREDIBLY clever writing in here that makes you think about yourself and your beliefs. There are so many fabul
Pavle
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastika
Sve se to na kraju lepo skocka, ali mislim da već počinjem da vidim šablon iza Diskvrld romana. Jeste ovo dobar roman, promišljen, vispren, ali na trenutke mi se činilo da sam ga već pročitao, iako sam Pračeta prvi put sreo prošle godine. I onda malo razmislim i shvatim da naravno da nisam pročitao, ne ovo, ali da jesam već čitao ovu strukturu, u prethodne četiri knjige Diska koje su mi na kontu. Tako da, bez obzira na tipično inteligentna razmišljanja Pračeta/Smrti o ljudskosti, veri i smislu b ...more
Book Wyrm
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grinches wanting heart inflation
Shelves: great-a-tuin
The actual plot is... Just Pratchett really, a plucky yet reluctant hero/ine must save the day as reality itself is being royally buggered through the power of magic and a maniac villain, etc, while we have vignettes of the best and brightest of the Unseen University acting their usual selfish, gluttonous and dim selves, etc, etc. Perfectly enjoyable and the antagonist feels especially malevolent this time, though I still can't decide if Susan Sto Heilt is a troubled woman desperate for normalcy ...more
Max
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I try to read this every year. It’s fantastic. Needed it this year especially.
Nicole
Jan 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
As usual, plenty of humour with an edge. I did occasionally wonder where and how all the plot threads were going to meet up and how they were connected. I'm not sure the Auditors were strictly necessary to the plot, but maybe they figure elsewhere in Discworld novels I haven't read yet.
I enjoyed the hijinks at Unseen University more than I expected to. The daft old wizards were funnier than I'd seen them be before; underling wizard Ponder and the thinking machine, Hex, are charming.
The send-up
Ashley
“IT'S THE EXPRESSION ON THEIR LITTLE FACES I LIKE, said the Hogfather.
'You mean sort of fear and awe and not knowing whether to laugh or cry or wet their pants?'
YES. NOW THAT IS WHAT I CALL BELIEF.”

“YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.
'So we can believe the big ones?'
YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.”

This is my favorite Discworld book in quite some time. It's just so good!

It's not as quippy or joke-heavy as some Discworld books, but what it lacks in goofery
David Sarkies
Dec 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comedy
Terry Pratchett's Christmas Special
5 January 2015

I started reading this book because I thought it was going to be a great book to read in the lead up to the festive season, however the only problem was that my timing was completely off – I finished it five days into the new year, which sort of defeats the purpose of reading a book for the festive season. I guess the next time I decide to read such a book, such as Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol, I should time it so that I finish the book, a
Eirini Proikaki
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ξεκαρδιστικό και ό,τι πρέπει για τις μέρες των γιορτών.
Richard
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, comedy
8.5/10

It could be the festive cheer finally working its way into my bones; it could be the snow on the ground adding to the overall feel of this Christmas season; it might even have been watching Bruce Willis yell “Yippee Ki-Yay Mother Fucker” at some Europeans in a building. But there was something about this book which captured my imagination and put it atop the list of best Discworld novels I have read to date.

I don’t think there was anything really stand out in this one compared to the other
Suzanne
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, fantasy, uno-yellow
“OH, THERE HAS TO BE SOMETHING IN THE STOCKING THAT MAKES A NOISE, said Death. OTHERWISE, WHAT IS 4:30 A.M. FOR?”
Paul
I'll admit that at times I don't really understand what is going on in Pratchett books until the last 100 pages or so. A lot of times it just seems like randomness and for whatever reason, my brain likes to sift out randomness while reading. This is my second Pratchett book and I hope I find one that I end up loving. I liked Hogfather but I was expecting a little more.

I think I may have made a mistake by reading this book in small chunks instead of in large chunks. Because there are no chapters
Monica Davis
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Just short of four stars, but worth rounding up. My first Discworld book, and admittedly it took a while to get used to his writing style, (no chapters, and frequent movement from one storyline to another after brief passages). Overall I found this to be clever, entertaining, and quite imaginative, with some interesting underlying messages. Didn't hook me on the series, but every fantasy reader should experience at least one Discworld book. I was not disappointed with Hogfather.
Connor
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-fantasy
Brilliant. I adored it. I can't wait to get more books in the series. Maybe the witch books next?
Melissa McShane
12/23/18: It never ceases to amaze me how well Terry Pratchett, an atheist, understood the nature of belief, of how belief is a peculiarly human characteristic and what it means that humans need things to believe in, for good or ill. Hogfather is one of my favorite Christmas books, and I try to re-read it every couple of years at this season. This time, I particularly loved the computer Hex's transformation into a believer in the Hogfather, and how that made it just as entitled to a relationship ...more
  • Carpe Jugulum: The Play
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Sprouts of Wrath
  • Legends 3 (Legends 1, Volume 3of3)
  • Dark Lord of Derkholm (Derkholm, #1)
  • The Colour of Magic: Graphic Novel (Discworld, #1)
  • Snow White and the Seven Samurai

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, i

Discworld (1 - 10 of 42 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Death, #1; Discworld, #4)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)
“All right," said Susan. "I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need... fantasies to make life bearable."

REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

"Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little—"

YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.

"So we can believe the big ones?"

YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.

"They're not the same at all!"

YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET—Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.

"Yes, but people have got to believe that, or what's the point—"

MY POINT EXACTLY.”