Start by marking “Pretty Girls Dancing” as Want to Read:
Pretty Girls Dancing

Pretty Girls Dancing

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  16,951 ratings  ·  1,057 reviews

Years ago, in the town of Saxon Falls, young Kelsey Willard disappeared and was presumed dead. The tragedy left her family with a fractured life—a mother out to numb the pain, a father losing a battle with his own private demons, and a sister desperate for closure. But now another teenage girl has gone missing. It’s ripping open old wounds for the Willards, dragging them b

Published January 1st 2018 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about Pretty Girls Dancing, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Richard L. Canavan
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  16,951 ratings  ·  1,057 reviews

Christa
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Pretty Girls Dancing was an engrossing mystery/suspense. It caught my attention right away, and held my interest all the way through. Most of the characters were flawed, but I really liked a few of them. Others, not so much. I throughly enjoyed the book and would love to see it turn into a series with Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation agent Mark Foster as the lead character.

This book opens with the abduction of a teenager, Whitney DeVries. Mark Foster is sent in to work the case of Whitney D
TL
Dec 05, 2017 rated it liked it
*I got a free copy via Amazon First Reads (if I typed the new name wrong, please let me know) *previously known as Kindle First* All my opinions are my own:).
----
2.5 stars...

Decent story. It was slow-paced but still kept me interested throughout the whole thing. Janie, Mark, and Whitney were the best drawn of the characters in the story. Everyone else felt underdeveloped.

The reveal of the Perp was anti-climatic for me and felt like it came out of left field. For me, at least. I'll give the auth
Marialyce
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5 wish it could have been better stars.

Unfortunately, this was not the book for me. While its premise was good, that of a kidnapper/murderer/psychopath taking girls who were into ballet, the execution of this story was dull and at times haphazard.

The book was presented by contrasting, in alternate chapters a family who lost their daughter seven years ago, not yet found, and a family just twelve miles away who have just lost their daughter. The chapters are presented in alternate voices and de
Carrie
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Pretty Girls Dancing by Kylie Brant is a thriller that has police rushing to find another young girl that may be the latest victim of a serial killer that has spanned decades. The story is told from multiple points of view, Whitney the latest victim, the mother, father and sister of a previous victim and Special Agent Mark Foster.

Whiney DeVries is a young teen that was flattered when an attractive boy she had met briefly sent her a friend request online. Whitney found herself chatting and flirti
Selena
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free e-copy of Pretty Girls Dancing by Kylie Brant from NetGalley for my honest review. This is an A++ Suspense novel. This book hooks you in from the first couple pages. This is a story of a young girl, Whitney, who was kidnapped 7 years ago and her body has still not been found. Now 7 years later, another girl, Kelsey is missing. The police believe both girls were taken by the Ten Mile Killer. This is a very tragic story that will pull on your heart strings, especially if you have ...more
Linda Strong
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Many years ago a young girl disappeared and even though a body was never found, she was presumed dead. Now another young girl has gone missing and the way to solve this case may be to take another look at the first case, opening up old wounds ... and finding secrets that have never been revealed.

Told in various voices of a broken mother, a guilt-ridden father, the sister who has never stopped hoping, the victim, and the detective who must expose the secrets and lies inn order to find a killer.

Ky
Mandy
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad read... for years girls have gone missing and then located dressed as ballerinas-their bodies posed like dancers. For seven years Janie Willard has lived through the hell of her sister being taken and never found. Her parents have drifted and she has a social anxiety that her sister’s disappearance didn’t help. When another young girl is kidnapped the last seven years come hurling back towards the Willard family only to rip and tear at them like a shark attack on the innocent. The endi ...more
Bernadette
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3 Stars for Pretty Girls Dancing by Kylie Brant. This mystery details the recent kidnapping of a teenager named Whitney, as well as the kidnapping of teen Kelsey that occurred seven years ago. The two kidnappings may or may not be the work of a serial killer that has never been identified. The book alternates between the point of view of Kelsey’s family members and the law enforcement officer in charge of the case. Brant creates very sympathetic characters in Janie and Claire, the younger sister ...more
Maureen ~Bitch Can Write A Book
I have read a lot of dark thrillers. I couldn't put this book down. I was sad and riveted. I needed to know who was this horrible killer. This book was different because...there was no light for me at the end of this tunnel, well there was a survivor.

But what a tough look at the families of a victim. The utter nightmare that engulfs their lives. This book was very well written. This author is a talented voice in this genre. This is a book that will stay with me.
Heather
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! This is my first book by this author and I am eager to read more of her books! I found it started a little slow but as the book went on, I became more and more invested and engaged in the characters and the story. The last 70-80 pages I was on the edge of my seat! There were family secrets, betrayal and dysfunction all wrapped up in this suspenseful thriller! I highly recommend this book!
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
1.5 STARS

Whitney, a young teen is missing, reminiscent of Kelsey a girl who vanished seven years ago.

Told from the third person points of view of Kelsey’s parents and younger sister, as well as Whitney and a detective investigating both cases as linked to a serial killer, PRETTY GIRLS DANCING is a story with a great premise and lackluster execution.

Kelsey’s sister Janie, who suffered from selective mutism and extreme anxiety was the most interesting character in the story. Despite her challenge
Lauren Hopkins
Jan 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
This is so bad and bland and poorly constructed, when you find out whodunnit, you're like...who? Because the big reveal ends up revealing a person who has a handful of pages of dialogue and a boring name that sounds like every other male name in the book. Thank crap I read this on kindle and could later go back and search the name because I literally did not remember him ever coming up. And when I went back to check it out, I didn't remember the conversation/part of the book at all. And when I r ...more
Books on Stereo
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
A sub-par, slow burn crime procedural that fails to deliver a compelling, twisted thriller as it is marketed as. However, for what the story was, it kept my attention , which is definitely a plus in my book.
Alaina
Pretty Girls Dancing was such a good audio book! Although towards the end when I got home I definitely switched to my kindle so I could read it. It had a ton of POV's and I definitely kept losing my place on who was speaking.

Now the mystery throughout the book was so good! I kind of liked almost every character but I mostly just felt bad for them. Bad for Kelsey who disappeared a while ago. Her family has been broken before this event but it hasn't gotten better after either. I absolutely hated
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
When a young girl goes missing in a small Ohio town, Agent Mark Foster is put on the case. It is nearly impossible not to try to find similarities to another case of a missing girl from 7 years prior and only 12 miles away. (view spoiler) ...more
Cindy ~
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A psychological look into the lives of 5 people effected by a serial killer.

When an already imperfect family suffers a devastating loss it shatters their foundation and causes irreparable damage. The mother, Claire Willard, a mental mess since her daughter Kelsey was taken 7 years ago. The younger sister, Janie who before her sister was taken suffered from a social anxiety and has struggled to keep her head above water even more since she went missing. And the father, David Willard who is rife
Kathy
Dec 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
Yet another mistake from the so-called privilege of being Amazon Prime member where they present
one with horrendous book choice options and you have to rely on reviews by Amazon readers to make your horrendous choice. That's what I do each month. It's a ritual. Select something horrid that I am unable to read past the first two pages or so.
Young girls being fooled by on-line predators and sneaking out of their bedroom windows to their deaths? Not so jolly.
First New Year's Resolution - Ignore th
Kate
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Blah. It took me entirely too long to get through this but I just could not get into it! I thought the ideas for this book were great, I personally would have just liked to have seen them executed in a different way. This book is definitely your standard run of the mill find the serial killer thriller but I felt it was lacking some twists and turns up until the end.

One thing I really loved about this was the character of Janie Willard. I thought she was fascinating and really enjoyed her charac
Donnell Bell
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hold on to your hats, Mystery Readers. People who like creepy and suspense, you might want to, too. Kylie Brant weaves an intricate plot, in which she tries something out of the norm from her other thrillers. Labeling several POV characters, throughout Pretty Girls Dancing, she lets you into their lives with deep point of view writing, which after only a few pages, I could not put down. By the time I finished this book, I could have sworn these people were real.

Ms. Brant writes superb teenage ch
Vicki Willis
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good thriller with some twists and turns. Written from different perspectives which I like. Worth the read!
saradevil
Dec 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
If there was a horrible cliche to be used, this author didn't miss it.
Melanie
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Wow, just wow. Pretty Girls Dancing was my first book by Kylie Brant. I picked it up as I'm into my mysteries at the moment and also it was on kindle unlimited. I'll be honest, more often than not with Kindle Unlimited I find I can be a bit disappointed with mystery books. I don't love books with heavy police plots and most of them are like that. Still I went into Pretty Girls Dancing with an open mind and I'm glad I did.

I read this over 3 sittings. The first 30% was a little slow for me in some
Sue Holmes
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
*Review copy via the publisher

Pretty Girls Dancing is a mystery thriller with the emphasis on mystery and told in the third-person from the viewpoint of the multiple characters.

While its a decent read, the pacing is slow and I would have liked to see more of the thriller aspect.

The characters are rather undeveloped and I don’t know them well enough to have a vested in their individual stories. Actually, I feel as though the book is more a superficial overview of a story with so much potential.

Th
Joey R.
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I just finished Kylie Brant’s, “Pretty Girls Dancing” and even though the book managed to keep me guessing until the end, it had so many silly and weird plot twists I wouldn’t recommend reading it. “Pretty Girls fails primarily because its villain is a madman who kidnaps teenage girls and then forces them while in captivity to dance and train all day in order to make them a more disciplined and better person. If you wonder why I thought the novel was just average read the previous sentence again ...more
Camille
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoyed this book and have never read anything by this author. I liked how the book was told from the perspective of 5 different people and didn’t seem too much or disjointed at all.

I also appreciated that in some respects there wasn’t a happy ending for some of the characters. As we know, in life, sometimes the worst things do happen and we are confronted with the pain of loss and sorrow.

I did not see the “bad guy” coming what so ever.

I actually found myself shedding an actual tear o
Darcey Hawkins
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book. I’m confused on how the killer was identified.
Shelby
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
14-year old Whitney DeVries goes out one evening to rendezvous with a boy she had been chatting with online and then doesn’t return. Her disappearance dredges up bad memories for the Willard family, who live in the town next door to the DeVries. 7-years ago, the Willard’s older daughter, Kelsey, disappeared when she was the same age as Whitney and she never returned home, her body never discovered by police.

Whenever young girls go missing, it causes trauma for Claire and David Whitney, as well
Michelle Only Wants to Read
For a moment, at the beginning, I was afraid I'd be disappointed with the story. Nothing concrete, it was just a feeling. I'm glad I continued reading because I got hooked after just a few chapters. I confess it kept me awake until very late on a Sunday night, accepting the fate of tiredness on Monday. I couldn't wait until the next day to read how the story unfolded.

Written in five different character perspectives, two stories unfold. Whitney DeVries disappears without leaving a trace in a sma
Tracy (The Pages In-Between)
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I got this as a Kindle First selection earlier this month, and I was so excited to start it. The prose sound different from a lot of the books I had been reading lately, so once I saw it as a selection, I had to choose it. I am glad I did.

This book was nice and twisty, you start to think that it's predictable, and at one point I was very bummed out, and then, hello game changer!!! Everything you thought had happened is totally wrong! Loved it! I also read this book incredibly fast, and was legit
CD {Boulder Blvd}
Goodreads Librari...: Please add details 2 12 Nov 27, 2018 07:51AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Pretty Girls Dancing by Kylie Brant -> Starting June 3rd, 2018 19 24 Jun 14, 2018 08:09AM
  • Ocean of Storms
  • La notte delle falene
  • Before You Leap
  • Coming Home (Sophie Anderson, #6)
  • Punishment (Detective Barnes, #1)
  • 8 Mile & Rion
  • Trespassing
  • The Good Samaritan
  • Poe (Alexandra Poe, #1)
  • Exposed (Codename: Chandler, #0.2)
  • A Marriage of True Minds (Sasha McCandless Novella, #5.5)
  • Old Gold
  • The Voice Inside (Frost Easton, #2)
  • Such A Pretty Girl (FBI, #2)
  • Before She Dies
  • The Kill List (Jamie Sinclair, #1)
  • The Perfect Child
  • Bender
The mother of five children, Kylie Brant claims she began writing to save her sanity. Plotting stories became her method of escape from the reality of constant ball games, chauffeuring kids, and refereeing "minor" disagreements between her perfect offspring.

In 1992 she was elated to get a call from Silhouette offering to buy her second novel. Home with laryngitis at the time, she still managed to
“they immersed themselves in trivialities in a frantic effort to avoid a yawning inner emptiness that sometimes threatened to swallow them whole.” 3 likes
“No one got out of a personal tragedy unscathed. The wounds didn’t go away. It was just a matter of how well each person covered them.” 3 likes