Start by marking “Ice Cream for Breakfast: How Rediscovering Your Inner Child Can Make You Calmer, Happier, and Solve Your Bullsh*t Adult Problems” as Want to Read:

> You can own your own home and want to build a blanket fort on a bad day. Hell! On a good day, too.

> Give yourself permission to seek praise, ask for help, and have something soft snuggled against your face because you're sad.

> You can pay your bills on time and still exclaim out loud when something is really f*cking cool, run a business a
Published April 20th 2017 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published April 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Ice Cream for Breakfast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ice Cream for Breakfast

Paula Dennan
Apr 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When is a self-help book not a self-help book? When Laura Jane Williams writes it! What I love about this guide to releasing your inner child is that Williams doesn’t claim the simple things will cure your anxiety or depression. She mentions her need for medication and therapy throughout and is well aware there is no one size fits all answer to mental health issues. This is a book I wish I could have read when I was in my 20s.
Charlotte
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
bloody brilliant. something I think we all ought to read.
Zuzana Navratilova
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just go and dick around!

I listened to the audiobook version on Audible narrated by the author herself and it was very... audible 😏 that she had so much fun doing it, so it added to the experience a lot. Overall it was really nice to listen to, it contains good and sometimes painfully obvious advice for us ever-over-analyzing-worriers.
Naomi
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m going to start this review by being totally honest, because, among the many things this book has taught me, honesty is key. I wasn’t ready for another book, I wanted a break from books so I could reflect on Paper Butterflies and heal my broken heart. Another thing I wasn’t ready for? A self-help book, I’ve never liked them. I just see them as ‘oh, someone is blabbering on with bullshit quotes and metaphors’, but this isn’t a self-help book in the traditional (above mentioned) sense which is ...more
Tatjana
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very sweet and a welcome pick me up. The insights are not ground-breaking but could be for a tween! Would recommend if you need to be reminded of how worthy you are. Apart from that, I love and adore Laura Jane Williams as a person and on her Instagram. If you do so, too, please pick this book up. It won't take long to get trough it :)
Fleur
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help, audiobook
As someone suffering both from burn out and depression at the moment (just like the author), I deeply enjoyed a book not telling me to pack everything and leave, but just to be proud of myself for showering and coloring today. It was pretty easy to listen to, like the second cup of coffee in the morning, nice when things are not quite right.
Malina Cojocaru
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A nice and helpful reminder to not take everything too seriously, and enjoy life. Also to look after ourselves more and be abit more compassionate. Really nice pep talk, written in a funny and witty way. Good book to dip in and out of.
Megan
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was probably the best thing I’ve read all year. It moved me, made me put it down to turn to my boyfriend and say, this is how I’ve been feeling and finally, I have the words to explain it. Burnout is a funny thing, and Laura writes in a way that makes you go ‘yes, exactly this’. I will go back to it over and over.
Frances Wilde
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was actually pretty informal, laid-back, genuinely funny, informative and reassuring- exceeded my expectations so much!
Nicole K
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is exactly what I didn't know I needed.

Full review to come @ explosivebagel.com
Holly
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bloody fantastic

Seriously loved this
- the way it’s written just feels like you’re chatting with a friend rather than reading a book
- it’s got a lot of humour in it which makes even the tougher lessons easier to digest
- it’s suuuuuuper relatable as it covers such a variety of aspect of adulthood
- it didn’t feel preachy at all which was a concern I had going into it. It felt really genuine and like the author fully believed in the stuff she was writing and that she lived it too
Lucia Abreu
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I follow Laura on instagram, and I really like her posts, this is why I came to this book, but to be honest I was a bit disappointed. It held great promise, but ended up being too much self-help for my taste. Some of the insights, especially when she takes examples from the times she used to be a nanny, are very interesting, but the writing loses some of its force when it relies too much on "do this, do that, believe in yourself" and all those general statements.
Tien
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is like a nice pat on the shoulder reassuring you that you're doing okay. None of the tips are revolutionary, but who knows, it may come to you at a time you most needed it. Today was the first time I've ever resigned from a job and I felt a lot of guilt, but it was nice reading this and reminding myself I'm allowed to want things and to put myself first.
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club-read
But HOW

Pretty interesting read. Mindfulness type of actions. I know what she says to do Is right... Speak up, say what you want etc... But the part that is missing is exactly HOW you do it. I can stand here all day saying I'm going to do this do that and not care. But put me in the situation real life and zero, zip, nadda!
Gemma Crofts
Didn't quite hit the mark...

Having read Becoming I was feeling quite excited about this book but unfortunately it didn't hit the mark. It's a kind of self help book but nothing particularly enlightening. It's a little haphazard. However, there are a few parts around the author's own personal challenges and what worked for her - honest disclosure and insight.
Jenny
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Not as insightful as I'd hoped. I found it more reassuring that it's okay that I'm a big child at heart. A book I could gave done with in my early twenties I feel, but thankfully life has taught me to not give a shit what people think and that doing what makes you happy is a life motto we all should adopt.
Catia
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked this book a lot but there is a reason it took me a year to finish it, on and off. I just felt it was very repetitive in every chapter and even though I related to the content - it bored me.

I feel bad saying this, especially as the book stems from something close to my heart. Sorry :-)

Megan
This review was originally posted here on my blog, Magic & Musings.

* Thank you, thank you, thank you to Hodder and Stoughton for sending me a copy of Laura's new book. All opinions are my own and, come on, was I ever going to not love this? *

PRAISE THE GRECIAN GODS ABOVE, LAURA HAS A NEW BOOK AND I CAN HOLD IT IN MY TINY HANDS.

Laura, Laura, Laura. You know, Laura? If you don't, you should.

If you've been reading my blog since June last year, you'll
Rachel
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I picked this book up, the thing that made me want to keep reading was Williams' honest writing and sense of humour throughout.

I did not agree with some of the advice itself, but in general found most of it incredibly helpful.

The main chapter that helped me was the chapter on sleep.

I was worrying a lot about sleep at the time of reading this book. I still do to some extent.
Anyway, I was very apprehensive about reading the chapter on it, expecting the same advice about getting eight
Vicky
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
On my phone I have a note saved as "42 Lessons From LJW" (a very special number).

I often struggle with self help books because they take themselves too seriously and are too difficult to read, particularly when you're reading them at a time when focus might be difficult. I needed something I could dip in and out of. I needed something light. Something uplifting. Something that I didn't have to decode or re-read a page three times for it to sink in. Something with a little child-like
Laura Boakes
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
10/10 : Earlier in the year, I read Becoming by @superlativelylj, & loved it. As soon as I saw this book in my local library, I snapped it up & devoured it. Laura has a natural, witty way of writing, with beautiful use of language, whilst feeling utterly conversational, as if you’re just having a good old chinwag. She writes exactly as she is, no bullsh*t. Adulting is hard, & we give ourselves a right rough ride for it. Drawing on her experience of nannying, Laura applies child-like ...more
Sarah Noonan
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a lazy Sunday afternoon read that I smashed out in a day. It's a quick, light hearted read all about how Laura did a year of nannying and what she learnt from the kids. It's broken down into all different lessons and what adults can learn from children. Essentially how to be happier like kids are! It's a cute, feel good book and I enjoyed the way Laura broke everything down in a no-bullshit matter but it wasn't anything I felt totally different after reading. This is the type of book tha ...more
Emma Bothwell
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this. Easy to understand, a quick little reminder of the important things in life. Stuff we all know already, but then the more often we're told the more we consider the importance of these facts on a deeper level. I love her lines about facing fears and using a child's thought process to simplify everything that I tend to over-complicate. If you feel stuck and need to be set free of anything, check out this easy read.
Lauren Jones
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it from start to finish! It wasn't all new ideas but all spot on ideas and profound in the sense they are simple but lifechanging things we can do! I think that's kind of the point, some things we know to do for children but don't do for ourselves when we all need looking after too and we need to do it ourselves! Definitely many needed reminders. Thank you Laura x
Eleonora Festari
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is truly a book that should always be on your nightstand, in your bag or on your desk so that you can pick it up whenever you need to get some perspective after a bad day at work, to find the courage to make that decision that's been tormenting you for ages or to get a self-confidence boost after someone brought you down.
Kinga Sciebura
May 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting book and I like the concept of it but way too much swearing in it which has put me off at first. However it’s a quick and easy read. I just don’t think I learned anything new from this book.
Jamie
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this. read it in two sitting and gave it straight to a real close friend that I know will also love it. I'll have to read it again, whilst at home, and fill in all the writing exercises.
Lauren
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a book that I know that I’ll come back to when I’m feeling down or in need of a boost in life.
Laura is so honest and presents a refreshing look on what adults could learn from kids.
Also makes the idea of a break from my career to work as a nanny even more enticing.
Helena Pilih
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Audiobook. Laura's delivery makes her writing even better. Content didn't fully resonate with me (already doing a lot of those things) hence 4 stars, would be 5 if I had read it at a different time in my life.
Jennie Ward
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little lift up read for when you need reminding that everything is ok.

Witty and humorous. A genuinely inspiring book which has left me feeling much calmer. The beauty is that you can keep flicking through it even after you've read it to remind yourself to keep life simple.

• Ctrl, Alt; Delete: How I Grew Up Online
  • Air (Blue #2)
  • Fashion Assassin (Jessica Cole: Model Spy, #2)
  • Songs About Us (Songs About A Girl, #2)
  • A Change Is Gonna Come
  • Love Bomb (Ladybirds, #2)
  • Keep the Faith (Faith, #2)
  • This Beats Perfect (This Beats Perfect #1)
  • Second Best Friend