Start by marking “Mustaches for Maddie” as Want to Read:
Mustaches for Maddie

Mustaches for Maddie

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  643 Ratings  ·  249 Reviews
Maddie is a normal twelve-year-old girl. Well, except for the fake mustaches she carries in her pocket. She likes to make people laugh and slapping on a mustache, especially a fuzzy pink or neon green one, always gets a smile. Maddie hopes that the class queen, Cassie, will find her mustaches as funny as she does and want to play with her at recess. She's been self-conscio ...more
Published October 3rd 2017 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Mustaches for Maddie, please sign up.
Shelly Brown
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

TL
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can't vouch if this lives up to the hype since I only saw this in a Goodreads Giveaway. I didn't win but I knew I had to read it. Something in the summary just spoke to me. Soon as I saw it cheap on Amazon, I snatched it up.

This was a beautiful book... it had me both smiling and crying, even laughing at some of the antics of Maddie. She is a sweet girl facing something huge, and was doing it in her own special way.

One character I did want to throw in a lake at one point... learning something
Jenny Baker
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mustaches for Maddie is both humorous and heartwarming. There were so many things that I loved about this novel. It was an emotional roller coaster!

I loved that this novel had other story elements in it to balance the brain tumor aspect of it. It’s also a story about family dynamics, friendships, and social experiences. It’s also about facing our fears. Maddie learns who her friends are and who isn’t. She’s at that age when we all want to know what boy you like and if the boy likes you back. It’
Jessica
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Based on the true story of how Chad and Shelly Brown Morris' daughter was diagnosed with a brain tumor, and how her friends and family rallied around her, cheering her up with hilarious mustache pictures.

I was braced for this book to be sad (though I know in real life there is a happy ending), or perhaps even too silly to try and undercut the drama. Instead it was a spot-on story about being twelve: figuring out friends and crushes, running afoul of mean girls, dealing with annoying younger sib
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
It's been another tough week in the world. There is so much loss and devastation swirling around. So much hurt, injustice and evil. It can sometimes feel so overwhelming. That's why books like this are important, I think. They serve as a reminder that while there are hard things, there are good things too. We can be the good things for other people. We can make a difference, however small, through kindness and compassion for other people. I want to quote a small part of the afterwords in this bo ...more
Karen
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is based on the true story of the author’s daughter, Maddie. I didn’t know this until after I finished the book. I was delighted to learn that Maddie’s character traits, her big heart, strong imagination and sense of humor are real. And, yes, the real Maddie also LOVES fake mustaches because they make people laugh. It is hard to fathom how a simple act of donning a silly pink mustache can cut through a tense situation. This simple kinda crazy effort has in reality made such a positive ...more
Liesl Shurtliff
I was lucky enough to snag and ARC of this book from the authors at a conference this past spring. I absolutely adored it. Such a sweet, quirky, humorous and heartfelt story. The voice is spot on for the age group and the plot is deep and layered. This would make a great classroom read aloud and would definitely spur discussion about friendship, bullying, illness, and several other topics. Watch out for this book in October! Definitely one to add to your TBR pile.
Janssen
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, arc, middle-grade
I loved this book! So touching and encouraging. I was dubious about the comparisons to Wonder, but I wasn't disappointed.
Rachelle
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Chad and Shelly have written a compelling story accented with humor, delight, and heart-wrenching experiences. I especially felt the emotion in this story because it's based on a true story and I clearly remember when Maddie was in the hospital and it was too scary to want to think about, yet alone try to explain. That's why I love this book--Chad and Shelly have created a priceless masterpiece from their own experiences with their daughter, Maddie.
I laughed out loud several times, smiled plenty
Paul
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure: I received an advance copy for free in exchange for a fair review.

This book also happened to arrive after a very good friend’s 11-year-old daughter was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor, so it had a personal impact on me. (And having a 10-year-old daughter of my own made me grateful for the health she has.) My sister-in-law is also battling lymphoma, so a great book was made even more poignant by these events.

The story is told from Maddie’s perspective, and when Maddie is
A.L. Sowards
I read this aloud to my seven-year-old twins and they loved it. They laughed so hard so many times. They were always eager for me to read more, and in the end, they wanted to give it a thousand stars.

The story is about a twelve-year-old girl, Maddie, with a very active imagination. She finds out she has a brain tumor, so the plot revolves around the tumor and problems at school with a manipulative classmate. Those topics could have made it a heavy book, but Maddie’s imagination kept it humorous,
La La
This book is beautiful. It is also based on a true story of the author's daughter's illness. I love reading "write what you know" books because there is a depth to them not even well researched books can achieve.

The book is also much more than a story about a girl dealing with serious illness. It has family issue, sibling relationship, school trials and tribulations, peer group uncertainty, and friendship elements tucked neatly into Maddie's narrative. The reading was so smooth and effortless I
Jenny Claiborne
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For lovers of Wonder, Mustaches for Maddie is a beautiful story. As if finding your place and learning to be comfortable with yourself in middle school wasn't hard enough, Maddie finds out she has a brain tumor. This tumor makes her clumsy, slow moving, and causes her arm to contort in strange ways. The way Maddie chooses to handle herself is a lesson for all. Kindness counts and being yourself is a beautiful thing!
Sean Gendreau
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am not a reader per se. Prior to 2014 I had probably read one book a year. But I have a friend who is an avid reader and writer and has a book coming out next year and so I've been participating in some of the events leading up to that release. That some how put me on the list to receive an advanced copy of this book. Middle grade lit isn't my thing (I just finished Hamilton and the book after this is Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance. Not middle school genre at all).
So imagine how pl
Kaylynn Johnsen
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I sat down and gobbled this novel. It was delicious. (Don't tell anyone but I even cried a little.) Maddie has a great imagination and courage, but can she beat a real life monster? You will love finding out!

Shelly and Chad you guys are the bestest parents ever and you are raising amazing children. I feel it a privilege to have provided a smile or two with our mustaches.

Becca
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
ACTUALLY I GAVE THIS MY +1 SO IT COULD GET SIX STARS. IT'S AMAZING!

Get your tissues ready, because you are going to need them for this sweet book. This book is told from Maddie's POV, and Maddie is only 12. It's so sweet and innocent, that it brought more tears to my eyes.

Maddie is in 6th grade and is trying to fit in with everyone. Like every sixth grader. The class Queen is Cassie. Cassie decides each day who gets to "walk" with her and be part of her group each day. Maddie wants to be include
Nathalia
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
(English/Spanish)
4.5

ENGLISH
This is one of the best books I've read this year. I won a copy of the ARC when I was at the NYC B0okcon. I didn't know what the book was about, but the cover was pretty and the tittle intrigued me.

I certainly wasn't expecting a "based-on-a-real-life-story" book, but I enjoyed every single page.

Maddie's story is not only interesting, but also really funny. The book is narrated by Maddie herself and her overflowing imagination. She presents an contradictory personality
Nathan
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book made me feel a little sad and a lot super happy.

A few months ago, I met the authors, Chad and Shelly, at a writer’s conference and immediately grew to appreciate their sense of humor and personality. I finally got the chance to read this book on a long drive home after visiting my brother in Kentucky with my pregnant wife and my retired parents. It was the first time my wife of two years was able to meet my brother. The visit took my mind away from work and turned it toward appreciati
Michelle
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: local-authors
Oh, wow. I want to give this book ALL the stars. I've actually been avoiding this book for awhile. I was afraid it would make me cry. It DID make me cry, but it also made me laugh.

This book is based on the true story of a girl who had brain surgery. Twice. But it's also about so much more. It's about friendship and mean girls and family and compassion and courage. It's about falling in love with a new passion. It's about imagination and overcoming obstacles. And it's a really, really good story
Susan
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a warm, uplifting novel about a 12-year-old girl who finds out she has a brain tumor. It's about facing trials with courage, treating others with compassion, and coming together to lift people up instead of tear them down. Based on the real-life experience of the authors' daughter, it's a tender story about family, friendship, and fighting for what's important. I loved it.
Liz Friend
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
The story: 6th grade Maddie's life--complete with bullies, Shakespeare, and tough decisions about standing up--is turned upside down when she finds out she has a brain tumor. Now it's the turn of her classmates to rally around her, and they do: complete with mustaches (Maddie's signature fashion accessory). But there's a big surgery coming up, and no guarantee Maddie will make it through. What can anyone do?

June Cleaver's ratings: Language G; Violence G; Sexual content G; Nudity G; Substance abu
Liz
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a sweet story that I can't wait for my daughter to read. I loved the twelve year old voice narrating the book and her amazing imagination.
Christi
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very sweet, heartwarming story. Definitely for fans of Wonder.
Stephanie
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Maddie is an absolute delight as main character and narrator as she tackles the terrifying experience of dealing with a brain tumor.
Suzanne Dix
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a great story about a girl’s brave struggle with a brain tumor. This is the fictionalized version of the authors’ real life daughter. Definitely in the vein of Out of My Mind and Wonder.
Becky
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book so much. It is such a sweet story about learning to be compassionate and how to be nice. Including people that are left out is sad but the little girl in the story finds perspective through her trials and the example of kindness around her and she is then able to make changes for good around her. Very inspiring. My kids loved this book too and are all in the secret group with mustaches looking for ways to share kindness.
Bonnie
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book is amazing. It touches on things that are personal for the authors yet shares a very strong message on how to help kids deal with scary things. The humor had me laughing throughout and getting teary at the same time. Life has lots of scary things, though not everyone deals with a brain tumor, most kids deal with bullying of some type. There are many powerful lessons throughout. This is a must read to anyone who has children, associates with children, has influence with children, r ...more
Jennie
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well written. Fun. Goes a little overboard for character's imagination, but it works. Middle school readers will enjoy this one.
Kim
Sep 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Overly saccharine, formula fiction. The based on a true story with of a 12 year old facing two brain surgeries but more worried about a school bully's parents' divorce than herself? That Maddie would bring the bully around in the end, "fight off" a brain tumour (don't get me started on war metaphors used in health, as if a patient can "do their best" and thereby "win the fight." Damaging bullshit rhetoric,) be offered a star role in a school play created for her, and have every student in the sc ...more
Tiana
Jul 24, 2017 added it
Shelves: arcs
In hindsight, maybe I shouldn't have read this book while my 11 year old nephew was going through his second surgery for his brain tumor... I think I definitely teared up more because of that. Luckily his story is one with a happy ending, as is Maddie's.

This book was sooo well done. The highs, the lows, the uncertainty and hope. It was obvious that this book came from a very real place. I can only imagine how hard it would be to write about something that had happened to your own family and dau
Michelle
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can't adequately say how much I loved this book. I have a 7 year old daughter who is learning how to navigate her way through friendships and peers. She's had some hard experiences this last year. This book really resonated with her and helped her see things from a different perspective. Plus she was always asking for more even over swimming time (that's love!)

As a Mom I was so touched through the whole story, seeing it through a parents eyes and wondering how I would navigate the situation.

J
Chad Morris coauthored Mustaches for Maddie with his wife, Shelly Brown. It is based on the story of their daughter who faced a brain tumor with humor and optimism. He is also the author of the Cragbridge Hall series (The Inventor's Secret, The Avatar Battle, and The Impossible Race). Books in this series won the Utah Book award and the Silver Foreword INDIES award for Juvenile fiction. Chad also ...more
More about Chad Morris

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • Where We Belong
    $5.99 $1.49
  • Cashelmara
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things