Start by marking “The Chicago Manual of Style” as Want to Read:
The Chicago Manual of Style

The Chicago Manual of Style

Technologies may change, but the need for clear and accurate communication never goes out of style. That is why for more than one hundred years The Chicago Manual of Style has remained the definitive guide for anyone who works with words.

In the seven years since the previous edition debuted, we have seen an extraordinary evolution in the way we create and share know
Hardcover, 17th Edition, 1146 pages
Published September 12th 2017 by University of Chicago Press (first published 1906)

Start your review of The Chicago Manual of Style
Mark
Apr 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It doesn't matter if you're a fan of MLA, AP, or even (dare I say it) Franklin Covey, the Chicago Manual of Style will never let real-world writers and editors* down. Sure, at first you'll stagger through its appendix and feel overwhelmed by the layout, but rest assured, with time, you'll come to rely on it like your trusty blankey that has always been there for you through all these years.

*By real-world writers and editors, I mean that elitist class of people who poo poo on people w
Katherine
Oct 23, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: editors, authors who work with editors, snarky people
My Bible.

Why did they have to change the rule about a bold or italic punctuation mark being set bold or italic according to the preceding typeface?

Why don't they include better samples of how to abbreviate journal titles for Documentation II style?

Why is the index still horrendous?

I use this book every single day, even if I'm just threatening my dog with it to get her off the furniture.
Will
Feb 23, 2012 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Memo to Goodreads admin people: the 15th edition is old hat. Nowadays it is the 16th edition that is authoritative. The once-proud 15th edition has had its pedestal tugged out from under it. Only losers refer to the old-fashioned, outmoded, antiquated 15th edition anymore, or even hold on to their copy. Screw the 15th edition.

Please create a listing for the Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition. I'd like to post a review complaining that I see few differences between it and the 15th edition (wh
Mir
Jun 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: writers, especially of non-fiction
Recommended to Mir by: my dissertation advisor (and it was more an order than a recomme
Too heavy, too expensive, and too orange. Other than that, it is great! Very thorough and well-organized. This is the only style guide I've had where I could both locate the information I needed quickly and get a sufficiently clear and complete explanation to be sure how it applied to my own writing.
Erik Graff
Dec 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: editors/students/authors
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: reference
Having been laid off from my happy position at Loyola University Chicago, having no luck at finding a similar position there or elsewhere and being semi-employed by a small academic publishing house, I decided to get serious about another career. So, I started publishing lots reviews and one scholarly article and began trying to drum up editorial work. Being already familiar with the MLA style, I picked up a copy of the Chicago Manual of Style and read through the whole thing. It wasn't so bad. ...more
Lavina
Mar 21, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The serial comma is a beautiful, perfect thing. This book is nowhere near perfect, but there's nothing else like it.
Steven
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing, academic
I was working on an essay for which I had to cite a particularly bibliographically complex book; it was a commentary by Averroës, translated by one person, introduced by another, and edited by yet another poor soul. I hadn't a clue how to formulate all the relevant information in my bibliography. Throughout my psychology master’s program, it was easy: it was all APA, everything was always APA. But now I realized that, for my philosophical essays, I hadn't been conforming to any particular system ...more
Mariana
This is the book that should be in every drawer in every hotel room. I'll get right on the phone with the Gideons.
Sin Claire
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book to be revered. If more of the aspiring writers who upload their works to Kindle and Nook spent a month or two getting acquainted with its contents, they could avoid the kinds of mistakes that anger readers. Almost every reader has some grammar pet peeve. The thing that drives them up the wall may not even register with you.

There are various works online and in print that claim to be the "Bible" of self publishing. This is the only book that is Bible of the industry. Wh
Will Mego
Can you read a style guide?
Yes. The middle parts of them are essentially books on grammar.
This is the best of them.
Serena W. Sorrell
Review for 17th edition:
This is--by far--a better edition than the last. In addition to making some much needed revisions, gender identity pronouns and updated practices have been added. Overall, the style is smoother and more user friendly than the last edition, which was overly dry most of the time and made for a difficult once through read. As this is my primary textbook and resource for the copyediting program I'm currently enrolled in (not to mention the field once I graduate) I find
Searcy
The ultimate style ref :)
Jeff
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Both useful and delightful for anyone interested in writing or the making of books.
Clare
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At my fancy new freelance gig there is often some downtime between jobs, which, after having examined all of the house style guides multiple times I decided to use to review the CMoS, since I haven’t actually had to use it in a while. And that, dear reader, is how I ended up reading the entire Chicago Manual of Style, Fifteenth Edition, by the University of Chicago Press, cover to cover. (Yes, I know that’s not how style guides are mean to be read.) (And yes, I know there are sixteen editions, but the offic ...more
Betsy
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Anyone who aspires to be an editor of any sort -- developmental, line, but especially copy -- must buy this book and learn how to find what's in it quickly and easily. It seems every other person I meet these days describes herself as an editor, but I rather doubt that they really know what that means. Being literate and knowing about the serial comma do not make you an editor. The U of C Manual of Style is indispensable, a must-have. And when each new, thick, and expensive edition is published, ...more
Ioana
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Chicago >>>> (by orders of magnitude) MLA or APA*. And this is the best reference ever: what to do if an author translates her/his own work into another language? how to alphabetize that writer with 3 last names? what about that quote gathered from the annals of a local community committee council that seems to have no publisher? No need to fret, the Chicago Manual of Style's got your back.

* Still embittered that I couldn't convince my advisor to allow me to use Chicago (ugh, AP
Richard
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, so I didn't actually read every single word, but I did go through this thoroughly as part of a class on editing.

The Bible. Accept no substitutes.

(And if you don't use Oxford commas, there is just no hope for you.)
Amanda
Feb 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I guess I can't really say that I've read this book, but I've definitely used it. Few books have kept me up later into the night. When you find a really great exposition on dashes and hyphens, who needs sleep???
Jeanne
Aug 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my students gave me a Barnes and Noble gift certificate at the end of school term. It was enough to cover the hefty price of this manual. I have been wanting to buy this for a long time and I will be using it for years, so the price is really not as great as the value.
Nicole Sampson
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is very well organized and easy to use. The online version is even easier because of the search option.
Silke
Feb 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I'll admit I have not read it cover to cover...
Kristina Leonard
Shockingly readable. It was work-related anyway!
RexcatReader
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is never a question left unanswered. In a world of uncertainty, this is our foundation.
Katherine
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Don't edit copy without it.
Craig Pearson
Aug 03, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Very dry subject matter. Bad memories of all the writing needed for my master's program. I understand the need for conformity but my simple mind could not get past the complex rules of writing.
Adam Tripodi
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Either a person likes the MLA or APA format, The Chicago Manual Style can never let a writer down. It might be heavy on the pocket, but it is one of the most thorough and well-organised books I have ever read. The book is straightforward to understand. An individual can effortlessly locate the desired information, and it will be elaborated in detail for the writer to apply to their work. After a thorough read of the book, I could differentiate between British and American concords better than be ...more
B.C.
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who wants to be a professional writer needs to have a copy of this book.
Can't exactly be a writer if you don't understand the mechanics of American English. All the standards followed by most publishing houses is from the CMS. Even if one doesn't use it to study diligently, it's good to have within reach to know how to reference something or when certain words should by hyphenated, and so on.
Drew
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chicago Manual of Style leaves AP, APA, MLA, and every other chump-ass style book in the dust. The main difference? It's not just about capitalization, citation, and annotation. Grammar. It has the best and most concise explanation of grammar minefields such as "effect" vs. "affect". A must-have for any shelf.
Yaaresse
I think the version I had was so old as to be the 5th or 6th edition. Who knows for sure? I can't find it here on GR. Still, I'm counting this sucker as read. It and I spent far too much time chained to each other in college. I remember the index was useless. The examples sometimes conflicted. Still, our newsroom managed to wear out a dozen or more copies each semester.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page count 1 8 Jun 02, 2017 04:45AM
Writers Write! : Please Help! I need help with my blog! 1 5 Jul 27, 2015 09:15AM
Indie and Self-Pu...: Does anyone have this book? 1 12 Jun 16, 2013 09:39AM

• The Copyeditor's Handbook: A Guide for Book Publishing and Corporate Communications, with Exercises and Answer Keys
  • The Associated Press Stylebook and Briefing on Media Law
  • A Dictionary of Modern English Usage
  • Garner's Modern American Usage
  • MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers
  • The Subversive Copy Editor: Advice from Chicago (or, How to Negotiate Good Relationships with Your Writers, Your Colleagues, and Yourself)
  • Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary
  • Roget's International Thesaurus
  • Developmental Editing: A Handbook for Freelancers, Authors, and Publishers
  • Words into Type
  • A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations: Chicago Style for Students and Researchers
  • Style: Toward Clarity and Grace
  • The Elements of Editing
  • Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage
  • A Writer's Reference: With 2003 MLA Update
  • Editors on Editing: What Writers Need to Know about What Editors Do
  • Technical Editing (The Allyn & Bacon Series in Technical Communication)
  • The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »