Start by marking “The Impossible: The Miraculous Story of a Mother's Faith and Her Child's Resurrection” as Want to Read:

THE IMPOSSIBLE reveals prayer's immediate and powerful impact through the true account of a family whose son died and was miraculously resurrected.

Through the years and the struggles, when life seemed more about hurt and loss than hope and mercy, God was positioning the Smiths for something extraordinary - the death and resurrection of their son.

When Joyce Smith's 14-year
Published November 7th 2017 by FaithWords

To ask other readers questions about The Impossible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Impossible

Meagan
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was actually an unknown book for me - it was selected by one of the members of my book club. And then I started reading - and I was literally sucked in. You see, seven years ago - I was a part of a similar journey. And the interesting part about both my personal, and this book's foundation - the people/first responders/specific medical personal in these two different stories were put exactly where they were supposed to be. A child drowned, and in my situation as the primary ER nurse - I loo ...more
Susan Shipe
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Get ready to have your faith tank FILLED UP! This book is about the remarkable, maybe desperate faith of a mother who cannot accept that her son is dead.
John, 14 years old fell into an icy Missouri lake and was pronounced dead - he lay lifeless for one hour. Joyce, the Mom refused the pronouncement and cried out to God - right there in the E.R. for everyone to hear.
John's heart began to beat and he walked out of that hospital alive and well. The book is full of raw emotion and testimony of God
Frances M. Burris
Awesome!

If you are a Christian, this book is definitely uplifting. It reminds us that God is still in the miracle business. If you are searching, you find answers within this book. Hope you enjoy reading this book as much as I did!
Walt
Apr 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: esp-nde-rein
I wished the author would have presented more facts, in a more chronological order, instead of pontificating her religious views. (I don't object to her religious commitment, but her comments prevented the chance to produce a more engaging history of her son's almost drowning experience.)
Tomi
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book!

I was deeply interested in this book. Not one time were there too many details to overwhelm or bore you or slow down the story. Writing from a praying Momma's point of view was engrossing and heartfelt as well. Thank God for Joyce and that she never wavered and kept believing for her boy even when folks around her may have been in doubt. God bless this family and how everything worked in God's timing and sequence for this miracle. Definitely recommend and definitely going to see
Patti
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I decided to request this book to read because a movie, Breakthrough based on this book,will be released next month. I really did not know anything about the story, but was hooked in immediately. The book is a roller coaster ride of emotions and a true test of faith. I spent a great deal of time in tears. The story introduces us to a young teenage basketball player named John who falls through thin ice and is underwater for almost 30 minutes. He arrives at the hospital dead and the doctor in cha ...more
Michelle Sauvageau
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Amazing story of God’s faithfulness and the power of prayer. I loved this quote at the end of the book “if I make prayer a habit, then I see God at work all the time. If I see God at work all the time, that builds my trust in Him, so that when the crisis comes, my faith is already strong, my trust is already solid, and I have no need to doubt.”

I gave 3 stars due to the overall writing quality and style. The author attempted to describe too many medical terms and procedures that, without a medica
Mary Patterson
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I read Breakthrough but couldn't find it in this app
Jane Walters
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Story of faith and the power of prayer

This book has caused me to look at prayer and the fact that God is who he says He is more powerfully than I have before. We as Christian’s must believe and pray with boldness. Thankful I read this beautiful story
Denise Asbury
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story!

I read this book I n less than a day. Could not put it down! Very easy read. The book tells the miracle of John Smith but also the struggles they face with their faith. I love how Joyce, the mother, does not allow negative talk around her son. Very inspiring, shows how God is so good, even if you didn't get the outcome you may want. I love how this story inspired others to dedicate their lives to God.
wanda stamper
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring great

Loved the book..... the story touched my heart .... taught us all never give up .... all things possible with God
Mette
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Honestly torn between a two and a three. It's a really incredible thing that happened, just the way it was written was difficult for me. I ended up skimming toward the end just to get through
Tanya
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a true story of medical Science vs God. The family are members of the First Assembly Church, USA. Their son fell through the ice on a lake and was under for 15 minutes. I couldn't put it down, Science said he was dead or at least severely brain damaged but God had other plans...Absolutely Amazing!
Roberta Maxwell
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Miracles can and do happen! I would change this title to "The Miraculous Intervention of a Powerful but Puzzling God." After all, although the mother's faith was indeed inspiring, it did not solely bring about her son's resurrection. God did that. Yes, I will continue to seek healing for friends and loved ones, recognizing that healing may not come all at once; it may require gut-wrenching prayer and sacrifice, and the result may be heavenly.
Lisa Teasley
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book and so cool to see this family’s faith in God. Awesome to have been an RN at Cardinal Glennon Medical Center and to see it through mom’s eyes!
Joan
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing story. It is a miracle documented by doctors and emergency personnel. There is no way around it. John Smith should have never come back to life. After his rescue from the water of an icy lake, he was without a heartbeat for nearly an hour. Even if he lived he should have been severely brain damaged. But sixteen days after entering the hospital he walked out.

What a testimony to the power of God, the persistence of prayer and the love of a mother. Joyce Smith was adamant. Only w
Donna Hartz
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a story of what love, faith and prayer can do when you believe in God and accept his power over us.
Donna Mork
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
This was an excellent book. I enjoyed it very much. The details of what a mother went through nearly losing her son, then getting him back with prayer. Then she detailed the miracles that occurred. I'm a science geek, so I enjoyed the medical details she described. I had no idea what happens to a drowning victim. Knowing the details makes the miracles that much more obvious. And seeing the struggles the mother faced as she watched God work but was also inundated with various outsiders offering w ...more
Vanessa Jones
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
For those that doubt miracles... for those that could use a boost in their faith.... I like that the author (mother) touches on some of the tougher questions (why are some prayers not answered) and acknowledges that religious theologians can't even answer some of those tougher questions. When I recount this book to friends and family it sounds unreal, but when you read it you can't doubt this amazing series of events.
Jackie Ibarra
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. I'm a believer and this just reassured my faith. My heart went out to the Mom in the story because I have a 13 yr old son who loves basketball. Loves to be with his friends and you just hope they make safe choices. Boys can be risk takers and not think things through like they should.

This book is definitely worth the time. I read it in less then 4 days. Looking forward to the movie.
Diana
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Powerful

An incredible read about the power of prayer faith and love during a tragic event. Truly, a remarkable story. As a former ER nurse, I have witnessed amazing recovery but, never anything like Johns amazing healing. I highly recommend this to all my friends and family. A great reminder of the power that only a sovereign God can bestow when we believe in Him.
Susan Simmons
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a book written by a real life mom who received a miracle from a real life God because of her faith that He would answer her prayers. And He did! Anyone wanting to see prayer in action should read this book. You won’t regret it!
Vicki C
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wish I could rate this higher! I love how this book not only tells about the miracles that happen, but shows how true faith is demonstrated. This book filled me with inspiration to evaluate my own prayer life. I don't want to just pray in the chaos. Thank you Joyce for sharing your faith!
Julia
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was probably my FAVORITE book I read last year. I got it at the LA airport and read it on my way home!
The faith and positiveness spoken over her son to keep God over him even when some of the medical staff were unbelievers is amazing!!
What a woman of strength and faith - A MUST READ moms!!
Jimilee Allen
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow!!!!!!! A Incredible story that from beginning to end never seemed real. Based on a true story, that Leaves you with a lot of questions about earth and life and what’s possible. A very inspirational tale.
Laura Kreitler
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring

A true testament to Gods amazing ability to still perform miracles today. With a movie coming out I was compelled to read the book first and am so glad I did. I am inspired to increase my prayer life from this book
Julia
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a very easy read that kept you on your toes! I must say the faith and love shown in this book are so inspiring. What a testimony of the Power of Prayer!!
Loved the quote, "God's children and His enemies make the same mistake. They underestimate the power of prayer"
Mel
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love

What an amazing story of faith in God!! Can’t wait to see the movie in the spring of 2019. Must read!!
Liz Alexander
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: winter-2018
I wish I could rate this twice. I loved the story of this book, but the writing was weak and I struggled getting through parts due in part to the poor writing. Worth the read overall.
Anita
* Read for the '2019 PopSugar Reading Challenge' task: A book becoming a movie in 2019 [The movie is titled 'Breakthrough']

• My Father's Business: The Small-Town Values That Built Dollar General into a Billion-Dollar Company
  • A Flying Affair
  • Close Encounters of the Third-Grade Kind: Thoughts on Teacherhood
  • Gratitude in Motion: A True Story of Hope, Determination, and the Everyday Heroes Around Us
  • Walking with the Giants: Lessons on Life and Leadership from Women in the Bible
  • A Sapphire Season
  • The Matchmakers of Butternut Creek
  • She Shall Be Praised (Women of Hope #3)
  • The Hidden Life (Amish Quilt, #2)
  • Your Heart's Desire
  • Kill Shot (White Knights #2)
  • Messenger By Moonlight
  • Kiss of Death (Kiss Trilogy, #2)
  • The Second Half
  • Life Is Not a Stage: From Broadway Baby to a Lovely Lady and Beyond
  • Priceless Memories
  • Moving Forward: Taking the Lead in Your Life
  • His Other Wife
JOYCE SMITH was born in Wichita, Kansas, but because of her father's work for a tool and die company, she grew up in Ohio and lived in eight different states as well as Canada and Germany. She worked for 25 years in accounting, but feels her biggest accomplishment has been as a wife and mother--one of the toughest jobs, with the lowest pay but the most rewards of any job on the face of the earth. ...more