Start by marking “Warlord (Danny Black, #5)” as Want to Read:
Warlord (Danny Black, #5)

Warlord

(Danny Black #5)

When the SAS takes on the Narcos there can be only one winner.

Set in 2011 in Mexico and London, Warlord is based on real events. Series hero Danny Black leads an SAS squad on loan to the CIA and sent to the Mexican border. The old Columbian drug gangs are being driven out by New Mexican gangs and their crack killing teams, called the Zitas.

This is leading to a new, unprec
Published November 7th 2017 by Coronet

Start your review of Warlord (Danny Black, #5)
Koen
Feb 07, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't finish it. So predictable. So nothing new. (Of the many scenes of violence I learned nothing new from this former SAS operative about professional or non-professional violence - what a let-down!) Of the many reviews I read here, the one closest to my heart was by Kees van Duyn, who also provides the author's real name (Colin Armstrong). Here are (my translation, from the Dutch - KK) some of his lines : ' Above all, Ryan seems committed to investing his story with the maximum amount of may ...more
Nick Brett
A Danny Black story. Here he is part of a team sent into Mexico to help take down a drug cartel. On arrival everything goes wrong and it looks like the bad guys are aware of their supposedly secret mission. The SAS team are up against the very worst and it looks like they are on their own.
I quite enjoyed this, it's fairly gritty and not much is held back. I did very much enjoy the wider aspect and involvement of the Regiment itself. This does end slightly oddly and felt like a slight anti-climax
Rupert Matthews
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good Chris Ryan book. Plenty of action and a good plotline with plenty of twists and turns to keep you guessing about what was going on. The only issue that I had with this was the last 30 pages of the book were entirely predictable. Once it had been revealed who had been doing what and why, there was only one way it was going to end. But overall this is an exciting and action packed adventure story. Good stuff.
Liza Gusarova
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chris Ryan at his best

Be prepared for your blood-pressure to skyrocket and your heart beating madly from the first page of Warlord where Danny Black and his mates from SAS are fighting vicious drug king of Mexico.

The book is so well written that I felt like I was a part of action witnessing those abominable crimes of inhuman criminals and pain,sorrow and courage of SAS soldiers.

Warlord is the frightening book with action moving very fast, with lots of gruesome details, with a lot of sadness felt
Lufieres Chew
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
They said don't judge a book by its cover. I'm glad I did for this one. First Chris Ryan book I read, now I'm hungry for more.

Interesting to see how some events seems isolated but are actually small puzzle pieces making a complete story, no loose links, no nonsense, no wastage. Truly enjoyable and it is difficult to find a page to stop to take a break.

Felt as if you are part of the operation, and would feel bad leaving your teammates behind.
Wilde Sky
Oct 21, 2018 rated it liked it
A crack team of soldiers is sent to Mexico to disrupt the activities of a drugs cartel.

The story and characters were good but the writing was clunky / repetitive – a good edit could have made this a really good book.
Roboshow
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Danny Black has quickly become a favourite of mine, another addition to my reg reading of Spider Shepherd and Orphan X. Love the way Chris Ryan writes, having gone through similar missions himself.

This book Danny doesn’t seem to be at his sharpest, missing clues and making strategic mistakes that lead to huge consequence. Some as the reader you could clearly see.

The only grip with this book is the ending, the reason I like Black compared to Shepherd sometimes is his lack of compassion for the
Kt
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m very partial to SAS novels and while there are many ex-SAS and armed services people who write these kind of novels, Chris Ryan is the best. He writes both stand alone novels as well as a couple of different series; however the Danny Black series is my favourite.

Warlord is another excellent read by Ryan in the Danny Black series. It has a fantastic plot with several twists and turns; and like his other books, I couldn’t put it down. The characters are interesting, clearly a sign of Ryan’s ti
Trevor Snape
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another great book in the Danny Black series. Take a four man SAS team, team them up with a three man CIA team to take on a Mexican drug cartel. Throw in a informer somewhere amongst these seven men and an connection to London crime baron and you the ingredients for an explosive novel. The book is fast paced and unputdownable. The story is fresh and uses all the up to date technology, weapons and vehicles and deals with real life problems that exist today in the southern states and wider ...more
Paul Tipping
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read

I enjoy SAS stories in the main. Obviously the author has a lot to do with my enjoyment. I picked this book because my regular authors did not have anything new.

I found the storyline to be addictive, although I also found the UK action and drama to be a little flat. The hostage taking taking of an old man I found a little tedious and I quick read through it, to get back to the story proper. But if regimented action is what to like then - enjoy.
Mr Roy Davidson
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poor Danny Black. It never gets any better for him. After all his efforts to save Spud in the earlier books, poor Spud gets blown away for good this time. Not as many dealings with the Regiment this time and where is his old nemesis from the earlier books? No dount he will return. Keep it up Chris. These are good reads.
Feb 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Electric!!!!

OMG.....What a compulsive, addictive read from start to finish. There were times when I was conscious of my mouth being open in sheer shock at what I was reading... What an Author Chris Ryan is. Packs more punches than any other author without a doubt. Just starting book 6.
Scott Gardner
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chris-ryan-books
Brendan Morphett
Chris Ryan delivers another fantastic Danny Black novel filled with action. This time, Danny and his team are on the trail of the Mexican cartel who always seem to be one step ahead. One of the best Danny Black novels.
Sue Romanis
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well full of action

A very good read had reader try to turn page quickly trying to keep up with the fast pace of book .I really enjoy your books twist and turns gives the reader an understanding of how you in the military service
Shaun
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad book, though always a little reticent reading a ‘series‘ book starting a few books too late.

Interesting story with echoes of Sicario, nicely plotted and just enough characters to not be cardboard.
Lewis
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would have been 5 stars but there were a couple of spelling mistakes in the book and mixing up characters names of Spike and Spud, which spoiled it for me.
But other than that the story flowed really well, fast pace and action on every page.
Mark Elvy
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Warlord' by Chris Ryan is a book based on real events. British Special Forces, The SAS, are loaned out to the CIA to stop the flow of heroin entering the US from a violent Mexican drug cartel. Great story, characters & plenty of twists & turns ...more
John
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brutally factual based military revenge

Tremendous authentic technical story with terrific characters and action so graphic it might be too much for some. But if revenge and justice fuel you this it IT
Brian Kitchen
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the fifth book in Chris Ryan's 'Danny Black' series, but it can be read as a stand-alone novel, as I did. I like Chris Ryan's books. He writes a good military, action adventure thriller and this was no exception. Set in Mexico, it was a real page turner with lots of action. Black and his comrades are tasked with taking down a drugs cartel, but soon find out to their cost, that someone has sold them out. Warning, this is not a novel for the squeamish. ...more
mr leslie thomason
One of the best yet to date

The story is certainly enticing, with how it started and to see it come to fruit on the edge read with so many unexpected changes. A very very good read. But it you will not be disappointed.
Zax
May 17, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the last two.

Mexico/London setting.
Plot try’s hard, but linear and predictable.
There are twists and turns which are good.
One real shocker.
Ultimately though a bit unsatisfying.
David
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very well crafted thriller in the Danny Black universe, including some surprising events. I would definitely recommend this novel.
andrew knight
Good read

Great read could hardly put it down action from cover to cover really gripping and action through out every page from page one
Keith
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chris Ryan is the man. Once started I could not put this book down! A real master Danny Black, twists and turns a plenty. Looking forward to the next in the series.
Jon Ellis
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very strong plot and the details of the SAS kit kept me really engaged. I even coped with the high level of violence.
Wael EL Gabas
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this one is the best of Danny Black serial.
Jim Whitefield
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great Danny Black thriller from Chris Ryan. Always good.
john coe
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

Yet another good one,could not put this one down.in the dog house with wife!!!!!! .Can paint the walls tomorrow ??.
nick eaton
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great story from the master

Yet another gripping story from Chris Ryan and totally believable story .
From the moment I picked it up I couldn't put it down

• Line of Fire (Nick Stone #19)
  • Red Notice (Tom Buckingham, #1)
  • Breakout (Lex Harper #2)
  • The Sandpit: An Action-Packed Spider Shepherd SAS Novella
  • Silencer (Nick Stone, #15)
  • The Angry Sea (John Carr, #2)
  • The Stretch (Stephen Leather Thrillers)
  • Dead Centre (Nick Stone, #14)
  • For Valour (Nick Stone, #16)
  • Once A Pilgrim (John Carr, #1)
  • Cold Blood (Nick Stone, #18)
  • Crisis Four (Nick Stone, #2)
  • Whatever It Takes
  • Tall Order (Dan Shepherd #15)
  • The Follower (Rick Fuller #4)
  • Fox Hunt (Lachlan Fox, #1)
  • Crossfire (Nick Stone, #10)
Chris Ryan was born in 1961 in a village near Newcastle. In 1984 he joined the SAS. During his ten years in the Regiment, he was involved in overt and covert operations and was also Sniper team commander of the anti-terrorist team.

During the Gulf War, Chris was the only member of an eight-man team to escape from Iraq, of which three colleagues were killed and four captured. It was the longest esca

Danny Black (7 books)
  • Masters of War (Danny Black #1)
  • Hunter Killer (Danny Black, #2)
  • Hellfire (Danny Black, #3)
  • Bad Soldier (Danny Black, #4)
  • Head Hunters (Danny Black #6)
  • Black Ops (Danny Black #7)

News & Interviews