Start by marking “Secret Empire” as Want to Read:
Secret Empire

Secret Empire

(Secret Empire (Collected Editions))

2017's most startling and unexpected comic book event! Captain America, Sentinel of Liberty, has been living a lie! The world's greatest hero is secretly a true believer in the cause of Hydra, brought up since childhood to pursue their mission of progress through authority and unity through adversity! Using the trust and respect he is accorded by the great powers of the Ma ...more
Published November 7th 2017 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Secret Empire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret Empire

Start your review of Secret Empire
Anne
Feb 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
Secret Empire: The Whiskey Dick of Comic Events
Goes on past the point of comfort with zero satisfaction at the end...

Dear Marvel,
You took a character I looked up to and trashed him to prove a political point. Not to mention, just like all your recent events, all of the information necessary to the storyline isn't even contained in this fucking book.
I almost feel like registering as a Republican just as a fuck-you for this dry hump of a comic.
Almost.

description

I like Nick Spencer as a writer, so this is rea
Khurram
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good story with good art work that fits the story and style of the comic perfectly. However there were issues with this.

Start rant:

One thing I really hate is when a character is featured prominently on the cover and is not in the comic. I hate that. Now using my favorite character in that way pushes my annoyance level to 11. The Spider-man on the cover is Peter Parker, the Spider-man in the story is Milles. Peter is in possibly 10 panels, and contributes nothing to the story.

Rant over!!

The one
Chad
Mar 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
I'll let Johnny Cash explain to you what I thought about this book.

Of course, this book could also be considered one big F.U. from Marvel to all its readers. Before I even get into the merits of the story, lets talk about how badly this was planned. It's been in the works for at least 2 years when Assault of Pleasant Hill came out. Yet, Marvel couldn't get one artist to draw the miniseries. They couldn't even get one artist to draw a complete issue. Even though there are some great artists on th
Jedi JC Daquis
Sep 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
You can sell a really bad idea and turn it into a genuine and sincere literary material. Secret Empire forced a really bad idea in a really bad story. Captain America being Hydra is something you can move on with if it is justified by a well-written story and good dialogue. But unfortunately Nick Spencer's Marvel crossover event fails big time.

What I really dislike the most about Secret Empire is how it relies heavily on the much more successful MCU. Literally all characters from the movies and
Sean Gibson
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
I think I’ve ranted enough about major Marvel crossovers from the past several years elsewhere on GR, so I’ll just say this about Secret Empire: you know how everyone hated the Dream Season on Dallas because it cheated viewers and was just kind of annoying? This is just like that, only not as good, and there’s no Patrick Duffy shower scene.

Okay, I’m being a little harsh—as an alternate history-type story, it’s fine, I suppose, if way too sprawling (it could have been far tighter and much less r
Paul E. Morph
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
This one just didn't work for me on so many levels. It had a few nice moments but not enough to sustain such a long story. It didn't even work very well as allegory, which left it feeling like a bloated 'What If-?' story with little real point.

A shame, as I'm usually a fan of Nick Spencer's work.
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
I bought this in single issues, saved them, and then binged over a couple of days when the final issue dropped.

Apparently, this event was in planning for two years, and then the actual event itself took a year in the telling.

My big take away at the end of it all was that none of it mattered.

That's kind of a shitty feeling to have at the end of a story you have dedicated a year of your life in following. I mean, some of it was pretty good. The beginning few issues were solid, the middle sagged, a
Redfield Reads
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Wanna find out how bad Marvel comics on general currently are? Then read this mess.
Michael Hicks
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, bought
When Nick Spencer and Marvel first unveiled Hydra Cap, I was among the naysayers. In the wake of the 2016 presidential election, the rise of a racist authoritarian in the form of a bloated sack of orange-tinged chemical waste given erratic sentience and a China-made red hat, and our very real-life white supremacist problem, resurgent and freshly emboldened by the said normalization of bloated orange chemical waste sack, I was appalled at what appeared to be Marvel's decision to give them their v ...more
Tiago
Aug 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Remember how bland and forgettable Age of Ultron was? This is more of the same, but worst, to the point of being unreadable, there's absolutely no fun factor, remember the days when Marvel released those "What If" comics, well it seems the entire Marvel canon right now is one of those books. Also, a word about the illustrations, apart from a few exceptions and the covers, I think this book has some of the ugliest pages I've seen in years.

It's all been downhill since the Secret Wars, the company
James DeSantis
Jul 06, 2018 rated it liked it
So probably the biggest "event' in terms of controversy. Captain America is part of Hydra! Is this the real cap? It this a lie? Who is who? The end of our heroes is here? Well no, this is a event, of course it'll all go back to normal with some new storylines for a few months.

So Hydra Cap has made the ultimate plan. The strongest heroes are stuck outside of earth thanks to a shield built by the greatest minds. So now that Cap Marvel, Guardians, and more are trapped there, the street level heroe
Logan
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Well that was very...readable! So reading through this, partly just to see what all the fuss was about, I was gonna rip this book a new, you know what. But towards the end the story redeemed itself a bit, not a lot but, enough for me to not hate it as much as many people on here. So the story is Hydra has taken over America and guess who leads them? (Hint, his name has America in it). All the heavy hitters like Captain Marvel were tricked into going out into space to deal with a Shitari invasion ...more
Chris Lemmerman
[Read as single issues]
Reviewing this story is difficult. We all know the premise - Nazi Captain America takes over the country and wrecks the shit out of everything. But the story itself is...difficult to talk about.

One of my friends nailed the problem with Secret Empire quite well, about six issues in - Nick Spencer does a lot of telling rather than showing. The story has an epic, sweeping feel that just doesn't seem to be reflected in the tie-in books, which address smaller conflicts and don'
Aldo Haegemans
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked the action, the story itself. Some issues had Fantastic art. I Feel not everything was explained Well enough. Maybe in the tie-ins. I also felt the ending result came out of nowhere and felt too simple and lackluster.
Shannon Appelcline
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics-marvel, comics
Much like Spencer's entire Captain America run, this finale turns out to be underwhelming.

I mean, it's got a good core: evil Captain America takes over world, multiple problems face heroes, who must finally come together against impossible odds. But the actual writing just isn't that great.

The biggest problem is pacing. The story is dragged out over 13 issues (0-10 + a Captain America + an Omega) and most of those issues seem overly long. Meanwhile, the center of the comic is a big MacGuffin hu
L. McCoy
So, I’m sure many of you who follow my reviews know that I think Nick Spencer writes some great stuff at times. For example, The Fix is probably the funniest comic I’ve read... so why in the fuck does this mess exist?

What’s it about?
HYDRA takes over the U.S. as a series of dumb shit happens.

Pros:
The artwork is fantastic. There were a few panels that... no, just no... but for the most part it was wonderful art.
There’s a lot of action in this book and it’s very exciting.
Spencer frequently adds com
Frédéric
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
3.5*

I honestly expected a little better, to give more wholeheartedly a full 4* but if I do think the overall plot is good its execution is not flawless.

I always thought the Hydra Cap stint was good, well designed within the 2 previous Standoff and CVII events. Spencer quietly built his scheme through both Captain America series before coming up with THE event.

An event that's probably 2 issues too long and suffers from too wordy sequences when others feel rushed up and somewhat confused.
The omni
Remy Blas
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, marvel
Ok, starting now I'm not paying as much attention to the Marvel comics reviews on Goodreads I used to read here. Everyone has been super negative about this saga, but I really enjoyed it.
There has been a lot of bad stories during the big crossovers Marvel has been releasing lately, but to me, this one wasn't one.
I think a reason many people disliked this is the message they thought it gives. Some sort of political metaphor that I didn't see at all. For me it's a story about power in the wrong h
Ryan Stewart
Feb 14, 2020 rated it did not like it
I hate this so much. It’s got about everything that makes modern comics hard to invest in, both emotionally and financially. An expensive, agenda-pushing, bloated mess with inconsistent art and storytelling, all with “shocking” revelations that will have no long-term weight. Not even sure why this exists.

This made me feel dumb for liking comics.
Fernando Rezende
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marvel, favorites
(READ AS SINGLE ISSUES)

I think this moment says everything about why I loved this book so much:
"I've been fighting facists my entire life. And I promise you, there is nowhere you can run or hide that will keep you safe from them. There is only one thing you can do. You stand and you fight."
- Steve Rogers

Some may say it's boring, awful, and lots of other things but I enjoyed this book a lot. This is (hopefully) the redemption of the Marvel Universe and it's comeback to what it used to be, with lo
Joshua Bertram
*SPOILERS FOLLOW*

Comic books often suffer from a reluctance to fully commit to the consequences of their storylines and, as a result, can feel ultimately slight and unserious. So it was nice to see a big, universe-changing crossover saga actually end in a way that leaves lasting scars. This could be the last thing Marvel ever put out, and it would feel like a fitting end.

The idea of taking Captain America, Marvel's archetype of pure goodness, and making him the leader of a fascist nation reshap
Blindzider
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Just a dumb idea and poorly executed. It only gets two stars because at least the artists tried.

(view spoiler)

I'm not going to waste any more of my time on this story.
Arturo
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
There were some cool moments and good ideas here and there, Andrea Sorrentino and Rod Reis were doing great things on art (Acuna was not).
But in the end, the amount of times I was taken out of the story because of its many flaws, whether it was in art change, it's plot ideas, execution, and dialogue, it just made this a horrible read.
Spencer does some great one shot issues from what Iv read in Sam Wilson: Captain America and in Ant-Man. But big events and long running series get bogged down wit
Simon
Sep 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Christ almighty, what a heap of shite.

I mean leaving aside the hamfistedness of the whole premise, adn the fumbling of the opportunity to say something interesting about fascism. The entire story is basically a fetch-quest. And the resolution depends on not one, not two, not three, but four (maybe more?) super powerful characters conveniently waking up from comas to do their little bit to move the story on.

Awful. Just fucking awful. Marvel, please stop with these event storylines.
James
Apr 22, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. This was a solid tale. So you all know this is the story of Hyrda Cap. Back in Avengers Standoff, Kubik ( cosmic cube become sentient being that’s a 4 years old child) took old man Cap and made him young again but also altered him to think he was raised as a hydra supporter his whole life.

There where some very strategic things Spencer did from here on. There was a shield built around earth to protect it from cosmic threats. Cap used this to lock out the heavy hitters like Quasar, Cap
Dan
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a tricky review

Overall it was fine to read.

The writing was great in parts (as far as themes, dialogue, etc)

It started strong, dragged, and had a just okay finale

My problem with this event I think was that I only followed the main title and it felt like I was missing pieces . Each issue would come back and the summary would mention something that happened elsewhere in another title or a character will say "now that we did xyz" which sounded interesting but never got to see in main title.

S
Anna
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I disliked how this was an actual idea, but I think that the execution of the idea was well-done. It was a little slow in parts, but the ending made up for the slow parts.
Trevor
I really enjoyed this. The dystopic take on the United States, the political satire, and dark mirror look at Steve Rogers are all a lot of fun. However, it was much too long and the ending dragged a lot. By the fifth time the heroes' plans are foiled last minute by their enemies, you start to feel like reading something else. It's not that it's too dark; it's that it's too formulaic.
Dan
Feb 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
I'm getting a little tired of these Marvel "events", quite frankly. Every time it's basically the same thing: some Marvel characters do something that makes some other Marvel characters react and "take sides". Then there's book after book of great drawings of superheroes punching each other. Until the next "event", where some other character does something and some other characters react to it. And then everyone picks sides again. It doesn't matter if the characters had literally just been punch ...more
Nahid Hasan
First of all this comic book series is “Totally Awesome”. I've enjoyed this storyline so much & loved it. This book has shown us the beast & cruel part of our partial character that we keep hidden in the depth of our soul. But this beast could come out @ any time. Greed could corrupt you. But you can't deny it & prevent it. Then the things you once believed in would fall down, trust will break. But wile there is life, there is hope. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Thor, Vol. 1: God of Thunder Reborn
  • Venom & X-Men: Poison-X
  • Captain America by Ta-Nehisi Coates, Vol. 1: Winter in America
  • Champions, Volume 2: The Freelancer Lifestyle
Nick Spencer is a comic book writer known for his creator-owned titles at Image Comics (Existence 2.0/3.0, Forgetless, Shuddertown, Morning Glories), his work at DC Comics (Action Comics, T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents), and for his current work at Marvel Comics (Iron Man 2.0, Ultimate Comics: X-Men).

Secret Empire (Collected Editions) (4 books)
  • Secret Empire Prelude