Start by marking “Designing Reality: How to Survive and Thrive in the Third Digital Revolution” as Want to Read:
Designing Reality: How to Survive and Thrive in the Third Digital Revolution

Designing Reality: How to Survive and Thrive in the Third Digital Revolution

That's the promise, and peril, of the third digital revolution, where anyone will be able to make (almost) anything
Two digital revolutions--computing and communication--have radically transformed our economy and lives. A third digital revolution is here: fabrication. Today's 3D printers are only the start of a trend, accelerating exponentially, to turn data into objects:
Published November 14th 2017 by Basic Books

To ask other readers questions about Designing Reality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Designing Reality

Start your review of Designing Reality: How to Survive and Thrive in the Third Digital Revolution
Steve
This was a book I wanted to like more than I did. In the end, like many books I have encountered, its assessment of where we are is much better than its plan for where we should be going.

The book starts strongly, with Chapter 1 featuring noted digital fabrication pioneer Neil Gershenfeld discussing the state of the art with respect to digital fabrication technologies. This makes Chapter 1 a nice follow-up to his by now "old" 2005 book on digital fabrication (given the state of change in the
Claire
I stopped reading this technology piece about halfway through since it is about two years out of date, and my rule with comp sci is to move a little, just a smidgen faster than that.
Maybe half a year off the press, nine months...?

It offered several exciting advances! You might like to see what is going on with fabrication laboratories, fab labs.

I kept it for as long as I did since I wanted to see what was happening in real life. You know, they are constructing brand new things out of absolutely
Blaine Morrow
The Gershenfeld brothers present a case for digital fabrication as the 3rd digital revolution, and it's a convincing one, albeit laid on thickly. There is more ideology and prognostication here than nuts and bolts, so that the reader will certainly be impressed by what looks like the "next big thing" but understanding much less how it works.
José Luis
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it
O tema é interessante demais, a revolução da fabricação pessoal habilitada por software, equipamentos sofisticados e Internet já está acontecendo. Mas o livro é prolixo, extenso, caberia muito bem em 25% das páginas. Leitura cansativa, melhor ler bons artigos na web.
Muhemed Masika
Charles Bennett
Apr 09, 2018

• Makers: The New Industrial Revolution
  • Doughnut Economics: Seven Ways to Think Like a 21st-Century Economist
  • The Maker Movement Manifesto: Rules for Innovation in the New World of Crafters, Hackers, and Tinkerers