Start by marking “Beyond the Empire (The Indranan War, #3)” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Empire (The Indranan War, #3)

Beyond the Empire

(The Indranan War #3)

The adrenaline-fueled, explosive conclusion to the Indranan War trilogy by K. B. Wagers.

Gunrunner-turned-Empress Hail Bristol was dragged back to her home planet to take her rightful place in the palace. Her sisters and parents have been murdered, and the Indranan Empire is reeling from both treasonous plots and foreign invasion.
Now, on the run from enemies on all fronts,
Published November 14th 2017 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Empire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond the Empire

Start your review of Beyond the Empire (The Indranan War, #3)
Morgan
I LOVED the first two books, reread them happily, and went into this book hoping to love it too. But the more progress I made, the more I thought, "This is sloppy."

Yeah, this is going to be a rant.

(view spoiler)
Beth Cato
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, science
I adored the first two books in this space trilogy, and the third book is even more intense, more enthralling, as the gunrunner-made-reluctant-empress strives to save the empire and avenge the butchery of her family. The only criticism I can offer is that the sheer number of names was difficult to keep straight at times. This book was everything I hoped it would be, and I was delighted to find out at the end that the series would continue with a new book!
Paul
If you are able to, do yourself a favor, and read these books together. I had an awful time getting into this third book because I took a three-year break after the second book. It took me about half of Beyond the Empire to catch back up to whom all the characters were and their roles in the story. Regardless, I like these books. I think they are a good balance between military sf, political sf, and feminist sf. They can be a little melodramatic at times but enjoyable.
Queen
The whole series keeps a fast pace with the gunrunner empress, and it's a fantastic space adventure. ...more
Crini
The writing was very repetitive, but the plot was epic! Great ending to an awesome series. Can't wait to read the sequel series. ...more
Randal
Not as good as the first two books; not bad. Less than I had hoped for.
Character development essentially stopped somewhere in the middle of the trilogy, except for Fase, and she was shuttled to one side for most of this book. Instead, it became much more of a standard military sci-fi book.
The last third reminded me of a lot of computer games that start as open-world adventures but grow more and more scripted as you play through the end game, until you wind up on the rails for the finish, headed
Donna
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I enjoyed the first two but this one was a smoother read, largely because the tangle of names and titles felt more manageable than usual. I'm not sure if the ludicrously large cast of characters was handled better or if I just started to get used to the chaos. I loved Hao's role in this one, so it was nice to see that he didn't get lost in the mix.

On the "room for improvement" side of things, characters spent too much time explaining each other's feelings and reactions to Hail, and some people f
Lauren
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is extreme popcorn political scifi-action fun. The third volume got a bit repetitive at times (the first two in the series did the same but I didn't notice it as much there) and the ending was a bit anticlimactic, but the author is starting a new continuation series so it isn't really the end of the story. This isn't mindblowing or required by any means but was a really fun bit of escapist reading. ...more
Paul
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sadly, all good things come to an end. I always get a little misty eyed when I get to the last book in a series I’ve really enjoyed. Beyond the Empire by K B Wagers is the final novel in The Indranan War trilogy and we’re going out on a high, it is an absolute blast.

Though Hail Bristol remains front and centre in this book, and by extension the entire series, it is still very much an ensemble piece. I’m particularly fond of Emmory, her Ekam (think chief bodyguard/chief of staff) and Zin (his par
Elliot
I read and enjoyed the first two books in this series (with some caveats) so I was interested to see how Wagers was going to finish out her first trilogy. Unfortunately this just didn't land for me. It was just not well written (and it really pains me to say that). Not only are people laughing and grinning their way through all the dialogue on almost every page (I mean, people "bare their teeth" four times in the first 60 pages), but it reads like sitting in on a planning session of an RPG. The ...more
Jean-Marc
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good finale for this trilogy.

My only two small misgivings: Wilson motivation or 'reveal' was underwhelming and a bit of (dialog) repetition at time.

Hail Bristol is again at the center and really a great creation, very easy to relate to and cheer for her. In this book there is some growth to her, for example she thinks of going `gun blazing` to a `vilain hideout` but she backs down and come back later with her whole team. At the end there is a brutal game of cat and mouse with Wilson and she has
Peter Baran
Dec 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final part of the trilogy sticks the landing, whilst losing some of the ambiguity of the previous book. There is an evil mastermind revealed, the aggressive Saxons (still quite can't get over how on the nose that is), are shown to be led by a drug addled leader and so the problem of interstellar war and insurrection can pretty much be boiled down to some short order guerrilla action which will inevitably involve the pirate Empress. But if you weren't in for that at this point well you were r ...more
MrsJoseph *grouchy*
More like 3.5 stars.

The story wraps up rather tidily - but I started skimming a little by the end. I figured out who the bad guy was maybe 1/3 of the book before the cast - cause it was being kinda tossed in your face.

This one IS good - but its not as good as the previous two. The beginning, middle and most of the ending were A BLAST... The end was a good end to the plot arc...

...but I think this book suffers from "not really being the end of the series." There's another series directly after th
Hazi
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wagers does not disappoint in the final entry of the Indranan Wars series. Heart pounding thrills run this book from beginning to end.

Empress/ gunrunner Hailimi Bristol is such an exciting character I was sad to see this series end. Intelligent and brash. A fully confident woman that ask no permission to be herself. I loved it.
Daniel
Feb 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading the three books in back to back to back order didn't do them any favors. The characters mannerisms get to be too repetitive and the stakes less real. Overall a good series just felt like the end dragged on too long. ...more
Elisabeth (Enthralled by the Written Word)
A thrilling and wonderful conclusion to a trilogy that somehow ended up reminding me of Les Miserables, even though I'm sure that was not the intent. ...more
Susan Welch
Dec 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A satisfying conclusion to the trilogy.
katie
These books were pretty ridiculous but enjoyable anyway.
Clay
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good, solid end to the trilogy, though the plot got a tad repetitious near the end as Hail tries to locate the hiding place of Wilson and is lead on a sort of scavenger hunt.

Great characters and situations overall. Looking forward to the next trilogy.
Richard
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Despite really enjoying the previous two books, for some reason the third book didn't really do it for me nearly as much. There is a lot of the book that felt like the same scenes and conversations were repeating themselves and almost the entire last act felt like a bunch of extra padding when the main villain revealed himself to be a Bond villain with a penchant for games, traps, and riddles (this evolved over the course of the book, but became a bit ridiculous by the end).

What works? I still f
Jean Hontz
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Last book of the Indranan War trilogy.

What a fun, fun series. Love the characters, lots of action, exotic world-building, with palace intrigue and political brinksmanship.

Looking forward to the new books she's writing. Bring the gunrunner back!
Karen Hobbs
Way better than the Divergent series.
Not as good as The Hunger Games.
Alexa
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-sf-f
I finished this a couple days ago and raved about it on my other social media sites, but I wanted to let some of the fever wear off before I did a real review.

I loved this!!! This was a great finale! I am not all together happy with how Hail left things in the end, but seeing as there's another book coming out in November, I can forgive that because I GET TO COME BACK TO THIS WORLD!!!

Alright, I really loved Zin and Emmory's fight in the beginning. I love that they're married and they're bonded b
Evaine
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I actually finished this book 2 days ago, but I've been unable to even think about putting my thoughts down until now. And even now, I know I'm not going to do it justice.

I loved the book and the loved the series! I just clicked with the characters. Or they clicked with me... whatever. *LOL* I'm pretty sure there might be people out there who think Hail, the gunrunner empress, is too perfect, but you know what? She's like my superhero. Yes, she's one of the best gunrunners in the galaxy and you
Allison
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somehow I wasn't grabbed by this final book in the trilogy as much as I was the previous two. In the other books there was some downtime where the characters could just be themselves and reflect. Here, the action is nonstop as we barrel towards the conclusion and the end of the attempted coup against Empress Hailimi.
I love Hail as a character, as always. She just treads the line of antihero perfectly to not be a turn-off; it's understandable how ruthless she is and how she got to where she is no
Courtney
Apr 21, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq-rep, 4-stars, sci-fi
I really liked this series! Each book is so fast-paced and action-packed. This trilogy was a hugely pleasant surprise.

What I Liked:
Each book matched the same energy that drew me into the original book (Behind the Throne). I've mentioned the pacing and the action in the review of each book of this series. It's probably one of the best things about these books for me. Each continuing story in the trilogy flew by and complemented the intenseness of the overarching plot perfectly.

I have come to
Vinay Badri
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Indranan War books were quite the perfect popcorn read even if it featured a fabulous hook for the lead character and based it on a matriarchal society with some inspirations from the Hindu culture. All this made it an effective hook to get in.

But once in, it really was the frenetic pace, Hail's background and the camaraderie that she shares with the people who accepted her as the Empress that made books 1 and 2 stand out. Book 3 is no different, even as the stakes escalate forcing Hail to t
Lizabeth Tucker
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Empress Hail Bristol and her allies must find a way to recover the Indranan throne from the man who has murdered her entire immediate family. Her twenty years as a gunrunner and mercenary will give her a different set of strengths and abilities to not only kill Wilson, the mastermind behind the revolt, but fight the Saxons as things heat up.

I devoured the first two books in this trilogy when I received them in a giveaway a year or so ago. I've been anxiously awaiting this installment. While I l
Graff Fuller
Feb 03, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The flip of prejudices against the opposite gender (in-world males yearning for equality verses our current world's gender equality for women - especially with the #MeToo movement in the lights of the abuses that have taken for way too long.

Hail has a lot of Princess Leia and Chrisjen Avasarala of The Expanse...with A little bit of Bobbie Draper. Maybe a little bit of Devi from Rachel Bach's Paradox Trilogy series (without the gear).

I love Hail's relationship with her heir, Alice. Taz (possible
Barb in Maryland
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-f-goodies
Exciting conclusion to this trilogy, with a very satisfactory ending to wrap things up with a flourish.

It was interesting to see our heroine Hailima becoming more accustomed to actually being the Empress, accepting the limitations that the title and responsibilities placed on her gunrunner tendencies. She still managed to get herself into a lot of personal danger, however she was more willing to accept her Bodyguards' protection and their desire to keep her safe.
The Villain's identity came as a
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Nophek Gloss (The Graven, #1)
  • Chaos Vector (The Protectorate, #2)
  • Unconquerable Sun (The Sun Chronicles, #1)
  • Prime Deceptions (Chilling Effect, #2)
  • The Worst of All Possible Worlds (The Salvagers, #3)
  • Stars Beyond (Stars Uncharted, #2)
  • Stars Uncharted (Stars Uncharted, #1)
  • A Desolation Called Peace (Teixcalaan, #2)
  • Seven of Infinities
  • Confluence (Linesman, #3)
  • Barbary Station (Shieldrunner Pirates, #1)
  • A Bad Deal for the Whole Galaxy (The Salvagers #2)
  • Chilling Effect (Chilling Effect, #1)
  • Velocity Weapon (The Protectorate #1)
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
  • Machine (White Space, #2)
  • Driving the Deep (Finder Chronicles, #2)
  • Soulstar (The Kingston Cycle, #3)
See top shelves…
K.B. Wagers is the author of the Indranan & Farian War trilogies with Orbit Books and the new NeoG novels from Harper Voyager. They hold a bachelor's degree in Russian Studies and a second-degree black belt in Shaolin Kung Fu. A native of Colorado, K.B. lives at the base of the Rocky Mountains with their partner and a crew of recalcitrant cats. In between books, they can be found attempting to lea ...more

The Indranan War (3 books)
  • Behind the Throne (The Indranan War #1)
  • After the Crown (The Indranan War, #2)

News & Interviews

“Good or bad is irrelevant. We walk the path laid out for us. Going back is never an option.” 0 likes