Start by marking “Dead Hill (Detective Chief Inspector Jack Harris, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead Hill (Detective Chief Inspector Jack Harris, #1)

Dead Hill

(Detective Chief Inspector Jack Harris #1)

When a man is killed by being pushed over the edge of a quarry, there is no doubt about who the culprits are. So why can't DCI Harris lay a finger on them?

The theft of the eggs of a rare golden eagle leads to a murder investigation and a serious questioning of loyalties

Surly and abrasive, veteran detective Jack Harris at times shows more concern for the wildlife in his
Published March 7th 2017 by THE BOOK FOLKS publishers of the best British crime fiction (first published November 28th 2008)

Start your review of Dead Hill (Detective Chief Inspector Jack Harris, #1)
Karen Wegman
Aug 20, 2019 rated it liked it
First book in the series. I will try another one. Lots of new characters. Main character took some time to warm up to. Not sure yet?? Bought the 2nd book and we shall see.
Jim
Nov 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Very slow to get plot moving it does pick up nicely towards the conclusion. At just 200 pages it took far too long to get the motor running. Certainly an interesting protagonist in Jack "Hawk" Harris. With this being the first book in the series, I'd have to read another to really make up my mind about author John Dean. Three stars out of a possible five stars. A read for when there isn't anything else on the nightstand.
Pam
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
If there's one thing I love, Its a good British Police story, especially when its set in the north as this one is, There is so much going on, which keeps you riveted while DCI Jack Harris follows every lead, Great characters, Brilliant story, A really good read.
David Gilchrist
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I struggled with this complex story..
Ted Tayler
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Terrific police procedural"

You can't beat a good British detective yarn. The northern landscapes are breathtaking and this type of story translates superbly on the small screen. If the plot falters , or the dialogue becomes stilted for a few moments there's always the magnificent scenery to lift your spirits. Those moments are rare in this edge-of-the-seat thriller. The action comes thick and fast, DCI Harris has a large supporting cast - some on the right side of the law, others not. The
Richard Howard
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2018
This is a nice, tight little thriller with an interesting setting and lively characters. It has a gritty feel that suits its northern hero.
The plot is complex with some lovely twists and turns but the author never loses control and draws the reader in. I shall be seeking out further books in the series.
Ann
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent murder mystery. Interestingly different. Great characters, particularly Jack Harris.

Great storyline concerning illegal egg collecting. Loved the description of the local landscape.
Lots going on to hold the readers interest throughout.

All in all, a fascinating enjoyable book.
Gary Van Cott
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. This book was ok but I found it a bit confusing. The cast of the characters was listed at the end. Of course reading it on kindle I didn't see it until I was finished. It would have been helpful to have had it at the beginning.
Louise Pass
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Wildlife" in the natural sense

DCI Jack Harris acquired his nickname 'Hawk' because of his interest in supporting and protecting wildlife in his native country, when the bad guys come calling he has his eye focused on protecting both the people and the birds.
Andrew
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-loan
This is the first book that I've read by John Dean. It is a fairly fast moving crime thriller with an interesting twist involving the central character, Jack Harris.

I gather this was the first of the Jack Harris series

It makes me want to read more books by this author.
Mick Dubois
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When a breeding pair of golden eagles take up residence on a high cliff in the northern Pennines, this gets attention in the national press. Not only nature lovers have an interest in those rare animals, but their eggs can also be sold for serious amounts of money to collectors. DCI Jack Harris, an admirer of the majestic birds, wants to catch the perpetrators red-handed, but his boss orders him to focus his attention on a string of break-ins in garden sheds. When some renowned egg thieves turn ...more
Anne Hill
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not that gripping

I read the Blizzard series before starting this series. While Blizzard was a well rounded character Jack Harris is not. He comes across as quite misogynistic, as do several other characters. This does not make him endearing, just kind of creepy. I will try one more book, but I am not hopeful.
Subhajit Das
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked the thrilling interactions in between the middle of the story. The twisting plot and compact grip of the story made this book an enjoyable and satisfying read. Though there are places where I found the phases a bit stretched, but still it is capable to make the reader hooked with it. Recommendable for one time read.
Kerry Swinnerton
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting read

The story hangs together fairly well, but became too convoluted as to who was who and what each had done as the book progressed. Still, in saying that, I enjoyed reading it.
It is my first reading of this author, so I’m not sure if this is how all his books are, but I will venture into his world once again at some point and see how well he fares.
Ilene G>
Aug 15, 2019 rated it liked it
I would give it 3-1/2 stars, if it were possible.

The plot was very good with twists and surprises. Some I saw coming; others I did not. Jack Harris is human with faults. I could not believe how one particular character would admit to some crimes. That is why give this 3 stars. If not for that, I would give it four.
Rita
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Great Mystery!

I enjoyed this book. It was hard to determine who were the killers. I enjoyed the main characters and how determined they were to solve the unique crimes. The setting was unusual which made it mysteriously too. It was a wonderful read.
Donna
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really good

I really enjoyed this first of series book and looking forward to reading the rest. I found the main character took a bit of time to warm to but really liked him by the end of the book. The story was enjoyable and the other characters well written too.
Susan
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Was he pushed or did he fall, either way DCI Jack Harris can't prove it. But suspicions can lead elsewhere.
An interesting and enjoyable mystery set in the Pennines of Northern England. Having likeable and a varied list of characters is always a bonus. A good start to a new series
Erik Empson
When a man is found dead in a quarry in the Pennines, DCI Harris has every reason to expect foul play. But when the evidence sheds light on the policeman's own shady youth, who will remain loyal to him?

A well-told tale with a likeable but slightly flawed detective and a convincing murder squad.
Jane C. Anderson
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dead Hill

I gave it 5 stars as it was suspenseful, interesting and kept me wanting to know more! I loved the DCI.
allan brown
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Different detective.

Good story. Chief character is a very believable one. Storyline is engaging, with a few twists. Could be a good series of books!
Paula
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Borderline more complicated than was necessary. I do like the Jack Harris character though.
Rebecca Valtonen
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cracking read

Lots of twists and turns, and believable characters. The energy stays with you all the way. Hard to put down.
David
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Was an OK read but didn't keep me completely gripped.
Cyndy
Apr 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Ok book.

I like the characters but I had a hard time following the story line. I had trouble connecting the crimes and why.
David Hill
Claire Daneman
Aug 06, 2017
CStigman
Nov 09, 2017

• The Shetland Killer (DI Jack Dawes Series #3)
  • BACK TO LIFE: A Scottish Crime Thriller (A DCI Harry McNeil Crime Thriller Book 2)
  • The Innocent and the Dead (The DI Jack Knox mysteries Book 1)
  • Watch Me Bleed (Frank Miller #4)
  • Murder at Flood Tide (The DI Jack Knox mysteries Book 2)
  • The Gallows Green Killer (DI Jack Dawes Series #4)
  • The Numbers Game
  • The Missing Wife (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries #2)
  • Rain Town (DI Frank Miller #3)
  • Sticks and Stones (DCI Harry McNeil #1)
  • The Greek Island Killer (DI Jack Dawes Series #1)
  • The Bluebell Killer (DI Jack Dawes Series #2)
  • Broken Wheels (DI Frank Miller #5)
  • Sudden Death (DI Frank Miller #6)
  • Under the Knife (DI Frank Miller #7)
  • Hell's Gate (The Harrogate Crime Series Book 2)
  • THE MORALS OF A MURDERER an enthralling crime mystery full of twists (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries Book 4)
  • Murder On The Levels (Detective Kate Hamblin Mystery, #1)
John Dean is a freelance journalist who has runs his own business and draws heavily on his years as a crime reporter for newspapers and magazines to create his novels.

He is a member of the Crime Writers’ Association and cites Sherlock Holmes as his all-time favorite detective. He lives in the South West of Scotland.

(Also writes under the pseudonym John Stanley)

Librarian's note: There is more than

Detective Chief Inspector Jack Harris (6 books)
  • To Die Alone (Detective Chief Inspector Jack Harris, #3)
  • To Honour the Dead (Detective Chief Inspector Jack Harris, #3)
  • The Vixen's Scream (Detective Chief Inspector Jack Harris, #2)
  • Thou Shalt Kill (Detective Chief Inspector Jack Harris, #5)
  • Error of Judgement (Detective Chief Inspector Jack Harris #6)