Start by marking “Give Me the Child” as Want to Read:
Give Me the Child

Give Me the Child

An unexpected visitor.

Dr Cat Lupo aches for another child, despite the psychosis which marked her first pregnancy. So when Ruby Winter, a small girl in need of help, arrives in the middle of the night, it seems like fate.

A devastating secret.

But as the events behind Ruby’s arrival emerge – her mother’s death, her connection to Cat – Cat questions whether her decision to he
Published July 27th 2017 by HQ

To ask other readers questions about Give Me the Child, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Christina It was a shocker to me too! I feel Sal wanted to adopt Ruby to repay what her sister did for her. Caitlin pulled Sal out of a horrible situation and r…moreIt was a shocker to me too! I feel Sal wanted to adopt Ruby to repay what her sister did for her. Caitlin pulled Sal out of a horrible situation and raised her. Ruby was in the same situation and so Sal wanted to pass on the good deed? Though, I wouldn't care about Ruby's welfare after she would try to kill my daughter. I still believed Ruby had a more active part in her mother's death and she is a 'bad seed'. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Wendy Del Toro I think that is supposed to be the twist but hardly a twist since it's pretty obvious from the start of the story! everything about this book was pred…moreI think that is supposed to be the twist but hardly a twist since it's pretty obvious from the start of the story! everything about this book was predicable and dull. Like reading a textbook IMO.(less)

Start your review of Give Me the Child
Ann Marie (Lit·Wit·Wine·Dine)
You can read all of my reviews at Lit·Wit·Wine·Dine.

"Who was the creature, this mother, wife, psych, who looked like me and sounded like me, but who had never once in a dozen years suspected her husband of cheating, let alone having another child?"

Give Me the Child is a page-turner straightway! It's told in the first person by Cat, who learns her husband has another child after a middle-of-the-night knock on the door. The mother of the child has died and husband Tom must now raise his daughter,
ReadAlongWithSue
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This turned out an unexpected surprise to me as when I saw the title and read the blurb I thought I had the story pretty much in the bag, give or take. But, it was much more than I expected.

This is one hell of a dysfunctional family.

Cat is a child psychologist which comes in handy within her family life.
She is married to Tom. They have one child, Freya and at first seemingly look and sound like the average family.

The author soon makes us aware of splits, lies and secrets very early on in the boo
Richard
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book; seemingly a long time in development, but all the better for the wait.
I stumbled across MJ McGrath through her High Artic novels set in the Canadian claimed Ellesmere Island. I have always loved her writing and the Inuit detective, Edie Kiglatuk was a delight. The three mysteries have a great sense of place and I wasn't surprised to learn Mel had been there to experience the place for herself.
That she would renage on a trading deal and go off exploring without a guide as a
Angela
Sep 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
***Did not finish***

This book was terrible! I kept reading in the hope that it would improve, and sat through it frustrated, until I decided I just couldn't put myself through it any further. I closed the book at chapter 17.

The things that annoyed me about it outweighed the small amount of things I did like. What annoyed me to no end was the fact that Ruby was constantly referred to as Ruby Winter, there was no need to keep calling her by her full name, there was only one Ruby in the book! If I
The Book Review Café
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Imagine a knock on the door in the middle of the night, and you find your husband’s child stood on the door step, a child you had no idea even existed until that moment, well that’s pretty much the premise for Give Me A Child. Oh my what a tangled and gripping read this book turned out to be, with unreliable narrators and a dysfunctional family at the centre of this well constructed plot, prepare yourself for a hell of a ride. I do love an unreliable narrator as you are never quite sure what to ...more
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I devoured this book when I read it. There was something very compulsive about Give Me The Child, almost like you know something bad is about to happen but you cant look away. That’s how I felt when I was reading it anyway!

Is it just me, or are kids possibly one of the creepiest plot devices in books lately?! I don’t know about you guys, but the mere mention of a quiet or distant child in a book sets of all of the warning bells in my head and I want to put the book in the freezer. I have two of
Laura Rash
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What starts as a sweet lil family story soon turns into the most dysfunctional family with a bunch of dirty secrets. I couldn't turn the pages fast enough!
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I did enjoy this book. It was completely different than what I imagined it to be but in a good way. The characters were hit and miss with me and I absolutely detested Tom throughout the whole book. I did like the main character Caitlin and found her to be very strong and determined. There was one thing in the book which confused me and I don’t know if anyone else picked up on it but I was confused why Ruby and Lilly’s names were constantly said in full instead of just Ruby or Lilly it’s just som ...more
Emma♔☯ (Bookishfix)
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Emma♔☯ by: Casey
This was a surprising read for me. I honestly didn't think i'd like it, the cover wasn't appealing, the synopsis wasn't anything to get excited about, i hadn't heard of the author and yet i really enjoyed this book. I enjoyed it so much in fact, that i couldn't put it down and read it in one sitting.

Who knew a knock at the door could change your life forever? Dr Cat Lupo has the perfect life, she has beautiful husband, a beautiful daughter and although she craves another having another child, s
Mandy White
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
I enjoyed this book, from the start to the finish i just needed to know what happens next. i received a copy of this book from net galley. if you like a story that keeps you wanting more then give this book a go. When Toms love child comes to live with them life will never be the same for them all. there was a bit of medical talk, mental illness and children with issues.
Rissa
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Give me the child 2.75⭐️
Rubys mother died in a freak accident. Which is terrible but whats more terrible is that Ruby is now living with her father who has another family that didnt tell them about Ruby.
Shes not too happy with her dad considering her mom always told her that he was a piece of shit that never dod anything for them, which is true so she resents him and his oerfect family.
Freya his other daughter, the daughter he has a wife with starts worrying and becomes quieter and more concer
Tammy  Zautner
Dec 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, 2017
I really, really wanted to love this book but I couldn't get past the authors writing to actually enjoy it.

One of my biggest annoyances was the over use of a person's full name. It was crazy how often the author referred to each character this way. Very distracting.

These totals don't include the amount of times the first name was just used.

Ruby Winter: 71
Emma Barrons: 39
Joshua Barrons: 36
Lilly Winter: 65

And I didn't even get through the whole book so there could be more characters I hadn't
Yellagirlgc
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Finding out your husband has a child almost the same age as yours and she has problems should be enough. Then your husband starts to change and your life with him. Cat can't catch a break. Good book.

Thanks to Edelweiss and the publisher for my copy to review.
Miriam Smith
Switching between 3 and 4 stars constantly. 4 because i did enjoy and found it entertaining but 3 because I found there was a lot of pyscho babble that went over my head and I did find the whole premise rather un plausible but that’s fiction and often the most entertaining. So 3.5 stars. I’d still recommend and I’d read more by this author again no problem.
Abena ~gurlwiththebook~
I received a copy from the publishers and Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review*

Despite a thrilling and enthralling plot premise the overall impression left by 'Give Me the Child" left much to be desired. However, since I was blessed enough to receive this book from the publishers I struggled to the end over the course of several days and am now coming to you with my "official review"

Meh.

Maybe it's simply because I mostly enjoy YA fiction, maybe because there aren't that many thrillers I
Tracy Fenton
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read by Mel McGrath - but definitely won't be the last.  Give Me The Child is a standalone psychological thriller that starts with an OOMPH and continues until the very last page.  I don't want to give anything away in my review except to say that if you enjoy twisted, twisty tales with creepy and violent kids, cheating husbands and a dysfunctional family that makes MINE look like The Waltons then you should absolutely read this book.

The story is narrated through Cat
Michelle
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr Cat Lupo aches for another child, despite her psychosis which marked her first pregnancy. Then, one night, the door bells rings and it's the Police at the door with a little girl. Cat wonders why they have brought her here. Cat soon discovers that this child his a love child of her husband Tom. He swears that this is the first time they have met. Her mother had died.

Cat a child psychologist, knows that there is something wrong with the child Ruby. She wants to keep her daughter Freya safe, aw
Maura Heaphy Dutton
Oct 22, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
So, the doorbell rings in the middle of the night. Standing at the door are a policewoman, a social worker and a child. The child's mother has been found dead in their squalid flat, and the child has told the police officer and social worker that your husband is her father. He admits that he had a one night stand 10 years before with "some woman" he met in a pub. The police officer and social worker go away, leaving the child in the care of the father she has never met, and you.

Yep, I'm sure th
Caroline Mitchell
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As insinuated in the title, 'Give Me The Child' is a gripping, fast-paced book. It kept me reading well into the wee hours of the night as I could not put it down. Highly recommended to anyone who enjoys a tightly plotted multi-layered story. It is very cleverly written and I was thinking about it long after I finished reading the last page.
BunTheDestroyer
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
DNF at 10%...skipped to the end to find out i predicted part 1 of the ending right away, but not the other part of the twist. But i didnt care. I felt no connection to any characters except freya
Cleopatra  Pullen
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
There is a knock at Cat Winter’s door in the middle of the night, going through the possibilities of which family member has had a disaster requiring such an action Cat is wrong-footed when she realises the young child, about the same age as her own daughter Freya, who stands pale and unspeaking, is actually her husband Tom’s daughter. Yes, not the news you really want especially as Ruby’s mother has been found dead and there is no-one else to take her.

Firstly I’m so pleased that the author has
Claire
Just imagine it’s the middle of the night, the house is all quiet with everyone asleep in bed and there is a knock at the door. Stood there are police officers with a young girl. A young girl whose father is the father of your own child, a young girl you knew nothing about. What’s more you are now expected to take care of this young girl….what could possibly go wrong?

I was totally blown away by this fantastic psychological thriller from Mel McGrath. I love a good psychological thriller so I’m a
Joanne Robertson
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ooooo, this was a good one and a totally unexpected one at that! Tbat first chapter really is a corker that sets you up for a top notch psychological thriller and it doesn’t go on to disappoint. I was gripped throughout this tightly controlled storyline that wouldn’t give me any more clues than it had to and had me gasping out loud at some of the twists when I did finally work out where it was going!

When Cat has a young girl in need turn up on her doorstep one night she thinks that maybe Ruby co
Bookread2day
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing

If you haven't read GIVE ME THE CHILD, I do hope that you will make it your very next read.

Caitlin loves and trusts her husband Tom, they both have a beautiful daughter, Freya together. Then one evening the door goes. Her husband has a shock for her. The police have just brought his daughter that Caitlin didn't know he had . The little girl's mother had just died at home from carbon monoxide poisoning. Ruby wanted to stay with her dad. Caitlin's never once in all the years suspected her husband
Bridget
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
It was a pretty good book that kept me wanting to read more. A bit predictable but my one real question would be why the title Give Me The Child?? It doesn't make sense in relation to the plot. I thought I was going to be reading a totally different book given the title and blurb.
Maggie61
Can a child be truly evil? Are they born that way or does it develop through their childhood?
Cat is a neuro-psychiatrist and studies children with extensive behavioural issues. When her husband Tom’s unknown love child is sent to live with Cat, Tom and their daughter Freya, it’s difficult enough to accept this child she never knew about but is there something wrong with Ruby?
Circumstances and events are disturbing Cat and she’s concerned about Ruby being around Freya and the affect it is having.
Tanza Voth
Apr 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Enjoyed Part 1. Then Part 2 kind of lost my interest. I finished the book but I didn't really care. No big twists. More of a family drama again and not so much a thriller.
Rating between 3 and 3.5. Just ok.
Anne
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Do we get the children we deserve?"

So, do we get the children that we deserve? An interesting question and one that is at the centre of this chilling story. This is so much more than just a psychological thriller, it is 'grip-lit' at its finest, with secrets and lies a plenty. However, in Give Me The Child, the author cleverly and shockingly explores how those lies can impact on children, especially when it is a child who is being forced to lie.

Back to the start then. Dr Cat Lupo and her husban
Tonile {My Cup and Chaucer}
Susan Atkin
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
I couldn't believe what I was reading. A girl turns up who was conceived through a one night stand and her father, who was unfaithful expects his wife to greet her with open arms?
More shockingly she does this hoping they can play happy families! The husband was a complete control freak and the story was ridiculous. Not for me.

• The Bad Mother
  • The New Girl
  • Seven Days
  • The Perfect Son
  • The Nanny
  • Her Hidden Past (Rosemary Run #2)
  • Apple of My Eye
  • The House Swap
Mel McGrath is an award-winning writer of non-fiction and crime novels. She is an experienced journalist, broadcaster, teacher, event organizer and speaker, with particular interests in London, literature, crime, feminism and psychology.
As M.J. McGrath she writes the acclaimed Edie Kiglatuk series of Arctic mysteries, White Heat, The Boy in the Snow and The Boneseeker. As Melanie McGrath she wro