Start by marking “Waters of Salt and Sin: Uncommon World Book One” as Want to Read:
Waters of Salt and Sin: Uncommon World Book One

Waters of Salt and Sin: Uncommon World Book One

(Uncommon World #1)

A dangerous romance, a stolen sister, and the mythical treasure that could change everything.

The first in the Uncommon World series, Waters of Salt and Sin combines the epic setting of Game of Thrones with the humor and romance of Pirates of the Caribbean. Perfect for fans of Sabaa Tahir and Sarah J. Maas.

To save her sister from starvation and hold on to her relationship
Published April 4th 2017 by Alisha Klapheke

To ask other readers questions about Waters of Salt and Sin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waters of Salt and Sin

Start your review of Waters of Salt and Sin: Uncommon World Book One
Fafa's Book Corner
Apr 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner!

Beware spoilers ahead!

Disclaimer: I received an E-ARC via the author. Apart of the street team. This review is based on the final version.

I heard aboutWaters of Salt and Sinon twitter. The author's twitter post about her book came up along with the prequel. I read and thoroughly enjoyed the prequel. Naturally I the next installment. I am happy to say that I enjoyed it!

I readWaters of Salt and Sinso long ago that I don't really remember the beginning too
Sylvia Mercedes
This was a re-read for me. I read Waters of Salt and Sin the first time two-ish years ago and loved it. But I have to say, I think I enjoyed it even more on a second read-through. For one thing, I took it slow and simply let myself savor the writing and world-building.

Kinneret was such a great heroine. I really enjoyed that her love for her little sister tended to be a much stronger motivation to her than her love for the hero, Calev. Don't get me wrong! Calev was a great, noble hero, and their
Marguerite
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars!

W-O-W! Waters of Salt and Sin was amazing!! I had very high expectations (just read that synopsis) and I have to say this right now - Waters of Salt and Sin really delivers on a fascinating and complex fantasy world with a fully formed magic system combined with brilliant romance, characters and drama.

The real strength of Waters of Salt and Sin is the characters. They are varied, complex, unique and very, very human. Kinneret is a fantastic MC - her voice and personality is strong,
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
When a friend told me about this one I knew I had to read it! I am such a huge fan of high fantasy and this is an excellent addition to the genre! Alisha has a way with words! Her world building is beautifully detailed and the characters are amazing! I also read the prequel novella and loved that too although it's not up on Goodreads yet to review. I really can't wait to see what comes next!
Camillea
When I pick up a fantasy book it’s not often that I choose a seafaring adventure. The only book I’ve read, I think, that consists of pirates and treasure is The Count of Monte Cristo. Stories about the ocean, pirates, and hidden treasures with a majority of the setting taking place on a ship or a boat wasn’t intriguing enough for me. Perhaps it was simply a lack of exposure to the trope.

I first came across Waters of Salt and Sin in a newsletter; I really liked the cover art for it and decided to
Kristie
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
WATERS OF SALT AND SIN is Alisha Klapheke’s first book in her Uncommon World series. It is high fantasy, and the world Klapheke gives the reader is one to rival some of the best in that genre. And the cover—well, the cover is absolutely gorgeous.

In WATERS OF SALT AND SIN, Kinneret Raza is about to turn 18, and her sister Avigail is 14. The girls lost both parents to an illness, and Kinneret has been struggling to keep them alive with her sailing skill combined with her ability to do salt magic.
Angel Haze
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was an awesome read!!! Beautifully written, and full of adventure!!

I loved the salt magic, the wraiths, and the sea adventures! I would get to a point in the book and need to post about it's awesomeness, but couldn't mention what happened because of spoilers!! Bah!

Great read! Highly recommended!!

If you like Sarah J. Maas, Leigh Bardugo, Emily R. King, and Jordan Rivet, you're going to love this swashbuckling tale!!
Christa
A five star freebie!

I've not had much luck with freebies on my kindle lately but this one was awesome! It's an unique world with well developed characters. It also has a good balance of action and romance, where the romance doesn't take up the whole plot. I'd recommend it to fantasy fans.
Nicole (FearYourEx)
I originally purchased this book as a kindle book, but received an audiobook from the author to review.

This book was a great fast and fun read. The characters were very diverse and intriguing. The romantic lead is flawed but still very impressive. The main character is ambitious and strong. And the story had many twists and turns, danger, romance, and trials.

The narrator does an amazing job of telling the story. She definitely seems to be interested and engrossed in the story which adds to the
Marin Bratanov
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
This has to be the most disjointed and self-contradicting book I've ever read. Why the two stars and not one, then? In the beginning the inner monologue of the "heroine" felt refreshing. In the end I kind of enjoyed the challenge whether I would be able to make sense of the tale (I couldn't).

Very quickly, however, the inner conviction and bubbly personality of our main hero got me bored, as she turned out to be as shallow as all her enemies found her to be - self-interested, uncaring of others'
Calvin Park
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Alisha Klapheke has given us a really interesting world with a unique magic in Waters of Salt and Sin. I particularly enjoyed the caste system and sailing aspects of this book as these are elements—especially the sailing—that we don’t often see a lot of in fantasy novels.

One thing that will absolutely stand out to readers of Waters of Salt and Sin is the engaging main character. Kinneret is determined. Determined to change her life, to save her sister, to succeed where others have failed. This
Katelyn Bolds
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
17-year-old Kinneret has been raised knowing the power of controlling the seas. Just like the high caste members of Old Farm who pray to the fire, she whispers to the waters, who come to her aid.

Kinneret is a strong willed force to be reckoned with. She has her sights on raising her and her younger sister from low caste to high caste, and proving her worth to marry her best friend, Calev. She's an admirable character, with her biggest flaw being not thinking things through. Because of this, she
LJ Waguespack
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Heart wrenching, action packed, with a very driven young lady

Well written, heartfelt and a very focused and driven heroine. Powerful, emotional book, I enjoyed very much. Look forward to reading more by this author, thank you, Alisha Klepheke, thank you.
Gabrielle
I really, really wanted to love this book. (C'mon, who doesn't adore that cover?!?) Unfortunately, this book wasn't all I hoped it was going to be. (Perhaps it's partly my fault in the first place for having such high expectations.)

The plot wasn't what I was expecting: I was hoping for more of a swash-buckling, piratey adventure. Instead, this was more of a (slightly spoilery) let's-try-to-survive-while-planning-a-jailbreak kind of book. Like another reviewer mentioned, they find the island
Brianna Belbin
This was a really good start to the Uncommon World series! I was thrown into a completely new world filled with a caste system, magic, and mythology that I’ve never heard of before and it was action packed and enthralling. Kinneret is a salt witch who wants to marry Calev, but isn’t of the right status. She learns of a lost land of silver and hopes to raise her status, but when someone enslaves her sister, she makes a deal with the queen: she must find the lost land to secure her rulership so ...more
Jenny Bynum Black Words-White Pages
Read my full review at http://blackwords-whitepages1977.blog...

WOW. What an amazing adventure this story was. It was so full of wonder, excitement, and secrets at the turn of every page and I enjoyed every single minute of it. This is a unique tale that I have never read before and it kept me guessing every time. This author has won herself a new reader with her style of writing.

The characters were phenomenal. I felt so sorry for Kenneret a lot in this story. Her struggles felt real. Her
Paige Crutcher
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much. It’s beautifully crafted, with captivating characters and enough plot twists to keep me on my toes. I’m a sucker for a strong female lead and magic, and this story delivered fantastically on both fronts. So, so good!
Damaris (GoodChoiceReading)
I cannot wait for book two! What an adventure!! This book is filled with so much and there is never a dull moment! Surprise after surprise! Super entertaining!
T.A.
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Waters of Salt and Sinis an exciting adventure set in a unique fantasy world thatisn'tbased on medieval Europe, castles, and knights in shining armor, which was hugely refreshing. One of the things I loved best about this book was the world-building and social structure. One of my favorite elements of this was the whole idea of caste status being made evidentin the number of bells a person has to wear, and it played into the conflict nicely as we see characters buy their way into a higher status ...more
Catherine Girard-Veilleux
*I was given an ARC in exchange for an honest review*

Let’s start with the positive sides! The writing is engaging and the author uses the five senses, which adds to the reader’s experience. She also writes detailed descriptions of the settings and events, and uses a good vocabulary (mostly linked to sailing, which makes it even more interesting). This story is intriguing, full of magic, adventure, and a realistic caste system! It is exotic with all the names, the caste system, the food, and the
Ying
Aug 27, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Did not enjoy this book.

The book had a shaky start. A common trope in books I love is the outcasted female lead who has skills and determination, bonus for magic or powers. However, this trope is a hard one to balance. Having a sibling to also take care of is also common, but one thing that really turns me off this genre is having a male character who is in a higher position (or caste) that the female lead pines after. That is this book. I think that that's all you need to know about the book.
Fee Roberts
Waters of Salt and Sin by Alisha Klapheke is the first book of the Uncommon World series. Kinneret is determined to have a better life for her sister and herself.

This story had the potential to be a really good read. There was action and magic, which are great for a fantasy novel, and what I look for as a lover of fantasy, and I was hoping to read of a strong female character, but the swooning became too repetitive, and the decisions the MC made were not of a strong willed female.

Others may
Suzannah
Adventure on the high seas, a colourful setting inspired by the medieval/ancient Mediterranean, sea magic, water monsters, and a cinnamon-roll love interest gives WATERS OF SALT AND SIN, at its best, a real ODYSSEY vibe...but with a low-caste girl on a desperate quest to save her sister, rather than a heroic king on his way home.
Angela Ford
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic whirl wind adventure

I don’t know where to start - I loved this exciting tale from the headstrong, determined characters to the magic of this world. The story never stops, it’s full of heart throbbing action and adventure leading up to a brilliant conclusion.
Katherine Bogle
It has been a WHILE since I read a book, and I am SO happy I chose this one to "get back into my reading groove."

WATERS OF SALT AND SIN introduces you to a captivating new world where low-castes wear bells, and snooty high-castes look down on just about everyone. Klapheke did such an amazing job of making me interested in her characters from the moment they were introduced. Kinneret is one badass Salt Witch, and truly the star of the show, but she didn't outshine her supporting characters, which
Alexandra Ray
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Waters of Salt and Sin has everything that I want in fantasy. A new, intricate, interesting world; a magic system that I'm excited to learn more about; characters that blast off the page and sweep me up in their emotions, their struggles, and their ability to keep fighting when they need to; a romance that is oh so sweet.

And the sea. It's strange how many fantasy books talk about the sea, sail over the sea, live next to the sea, but never actually dive into the sea! In Waters of Salt and Sin,
Cassidy
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a beautifully-written, action-packed fantasy read. The characters were developed and distinct. I rooted for Kinneret, worried for Avi, swooned for Calev, detested the amir, and snorted with laughter at Oron, who was easily my favorite of them all. But even better than the characters was the world that Klapheke built around them. It felt real, and the details about sailing were masterfully done. The author has a way with words, and a beautiful descriptive voice. I'm looking forward to ...more
Evangeline Giaconia
Waters of Salt and Sin plunges the reader into a rich world of love, rebellion, and an oppressive caste system. Klapheke’s world is immersively crafted, populated with complex, engaging protagonists—especially Kinneret, main character and complete badass. She balances deep love for both her sister and her taboo love interest while refusing to compromise her dignity and aspirations. Like Kinneret, the narrative is at its best on the sea: the intricacies of sailing and seafaring are riveting, ...more
Suzanne Swift
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved Alisha Klaphekes writing style....creative, alive using a keen sense of observation..sensitivity. ( My tears reflected in his eyes. ), colors scents of figs, lemons, herbs....a high sea adventure and lively story, salt magic...sea wraiths..courage...non- stop adventures in a mediterranean setting will transport you and your senses for hours...
Elizabeth Duffy
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought I could read this book and get other things done in the process; but, I could not put this book down. I was sent on a journey across waters and to foreign lands, with a colorful cast of characters. You will fall in love with the good and condemn the bad. With magic and wraiths, and a caste-system that serves as a foundation, this book is a good escape from our own world.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Witch of Shadowmarsh (The Moonstone Chronicles Book 1)
  • Moonburner (Moonburner Cycle, #1)
  • Pursuit of Shadows (The Keeper Chronicles, #2)
  • Shrouded Kingdom (The Lost Queen of Althea, #1)
  • Call of the Dragon: a Dragon Fantasy Adventure (Dragon Riders of Elantia Book 1)
  • Darkblade Assassin (Hero of Darkness #1)
  • A Threat of Shadows (The Keeper Chronicles, #1)
  • The Angel Secret (Dark World: The Angel Trials Book 6)
  • Magic (The Brindle Dragon Book 5)
  • Caravan Witch (Questing Witch, #2)
  • The Culling Trials 2 (Shadowspell Academy, #2)
  • Emperor's Throne (Desert Cursed #6)
  • Might of the Dragon: a Dragon Fantasy Adventure (Dragon Riders of Elantia Book 3)
  • The Magestaff (The Seven Kingdoms, #1)
  • Voice of Command (The Spoken Mage, #2)
  • The Angel Island (Dark World: The Angel Trials Book 5)
  • First Flight (Dragon School, #1)
  • Curse Breaker (Kingdom of Runes #2)
USA Today Bestselling Author Alisha Klapheke strives to write fantasy inspired by history and informed through her travel worldwide.

Uncommon World (4 books)
  • Fever (Uncommon World, #2)
  • Plains of Sand and Steel (Uncommon World, #3)
  • Forest of Silver and Secrets (Uncommon World, #4)