Start by marking “The Lock” as Want to Read:
The Lock

The Lock

"You have to help me. She’s going to kill my father."

Perry reluctantly gets embroiled in a murder investigation when a young girl begs him for help.

But Rose is not the only one seeking his legendary lockpicking skills.

Shadowy characters from his past have a bargain for him: will he accept their terms for Rose’s sake?

Set in Oxford, The Lock is a traditional British mystery.
ebook
Published April 23rd 2017 by Noël Cades

To ask other readers questions about The Lock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lock

Edward Turbeville
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: murder-mystery
This novel may become the first in a trilogy, where the mystery of the hero's background is eventually revealed.

Book 2 is tentatively set in a fairground by the canal and will be written later this year.
Pauline Anne
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great mystery! A good ol' English whodunnit with an unusual amateur sleuth!
Really appreciated the subplot about our protagonist's background. It was like reading two stories in one. Riveting stuff!
Ideal for the detectives among us!
I received an ARC of the book from the author in exchange for an honest review.
T.G. Campbell
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If, after reading the blurb for The Lock, you think the story is one you’ve heard before then I’d strongly recommend you take a chance on this work anyway. It starts out pretty straight forward; a young girl asks the protagonist for help, is declined, and a murder soon follows. As the book progresses though several mysteries are revealed; the initial shooting of Arthur Stanton is one, intriguing goings on at a brewery are another, and even the protagonist himself, Perry Beck. At the end of each ...more
Fabiola
Apr 09, 2017
John Bainbridge
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Superb Murder Mystery

I loved this book and the leading character Perry Beck. He's likable and believable with a fascinating, mysterious past. I really enjoyed the way Perry's background is gradually revealed with hints of dark secrets to come in the next novel.
Edward Turbeville's writing is superb with an elegant, effortless feel that reminds me of Agatha Christie. Many murder mysteries follow an obvious formula – not this one. The plot is well-reasoned and satisfyingly unpredictable. I had to
Daniela Kraml
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I don't know why, but the first third of the book didn't really grip me. Maybe it was the matter-of-fact prose, I really don't know, because after that I was hooked, and was loath to stop reading. The Lock was a very enjoyable read, and I can highly recommend it. Enjoy!
Oh, and it's nice to know there will be two follow-ups.
Peter Stankovic
Mar 20, 2017
Stacy
Mar 12, 2017
Tara
Mar 14, 2017
Susan Mock
Apr 09, 2017
Edward Turbeville is a mystery writer from England’s ancient Forest of Dean.

His favourite authors include Agatha Christie, Evelyn Waugh, P G Wodehouse and Nevil Shute.

Edward is also a fan of the Classics, notably Cicero and Vergil. You can download his alliterative verse translation of Book III of the Aeneid from iBooks.