Start by marking “The Tailor of Gloucester” as Want to Read:
The Tailor of Gloucester

The Tailor of Gloucester

(The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

Beatrix Potter loved the countryside and she spent much of her otherwise conventional Victorian childhood drawing and studying animals. Her passion for the natural world lay behind the creation of her famous series of little books. A particular source of inspiration was the English Lake District where she lived for the last thirty years of her life as a farmer and land ...more
Published 2002 by Frederick Warne (first published 1903)

To ask other readers questions about The Tailor of Gloucester, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tailor of Gloucester

Start your review of The Tailor of Gloucester
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think this is my favorite of all of Beatrix Potter's lovely illustrated tales - and it was the author's favorite too! It has a Christmastime setting and a nice message about the spirit of the season, so it was great to revisit it.

description

A poor, aged tailor in England in olden times, "when gentlemen wore ruffles, and gold-laced waistcoats of paduasoy and taffeta," has a major sewing project that could make him or break him: the mayor of Gloucester is getting married in four days, on Christmas, and
Spencer Orey
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
My kid's grandma bought us a 12 book set of the original Beatrix Potter books. I'll be reviewing them at random and out of order.

This book is so so sooo long that it made me appreciate the conciseness of the others in the series. Nothing was really gained by having so many more words except that it takes longer to read. The whole thing is rendered a bit dull by the length.

But the unnecessary length aside, there's an okay story here about a poor tailor, some needy wealthy patron, a moody cat, and
Hilary
A tailor falls ill before Christmas and cannot finish an important coat for the mayor. Luckily some mice with super sewing skills help in this Christmas version of the elves and the shoemaker. The illustrations are lovely and we really enjoyed the part where it mentions the legend that animals can talk on Christmas Eve after midnight and before dawn.

We found it interesting that the only other illustration we can think of depicting at tailor at work also shows the tailor sitting cross legged on
Jo
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, classics
I'm currently revisiting all of Beatrix Potter's works, and this one, was next on my list. I think this beautiful book is probably a favourite. It has a certain atmosphere, and it makes one think of Xmas. I think it is wonderful how Potter manages to create and weave together a story with mice and humans with ease. The illustrations are of an exquisite quality, as they are with all of the Beatrix Potter books. These add to the experience in a profound way, and it is very understandable why these ...more
Annet
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, classics
Lovely story. My fourth Potter. Funny to see how people appreciate the different stories. I particularly loved this a bit more elaborate storty and the little drawings of the finely dressed mice and the Christmas town images.... I'm a fan.
Joey Woolfardis
Unlike the previous two stories, The Tale of Peter Rabbit and The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin , this tale of a human tailor of Gloucester is a longer, more developed story, which took me for surprise as I was not expecting anything particularly lengthy during my read-through of these Beatrix Potter tales, and it was heartily welcomed.

Whilst I still consider Beatrix to be primarily an illustrator, her story telling prowess is quite evident here. The tale flows and the characters are brought to
debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister
Oh my goodness! So sweet!
Andrea Zuvich
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic little book!
Manny
Aug 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
- Miss Potter, may I ask what your new book will be about?

- Some mice help a tailor make a waistcoat. But the ending is flat.

- No twist?

- Ah... of course! A wonderful suggestion!
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
One of my favourites as a small child. I loved the detailed illustrations of the mice's elegant clothing more than the story itself. Apparently the tale is not original to Potter but based on a local folktale of the poor tailor helped out by magic mice. Methinks it must have been inspiration for some of the earlier Disney fairytale cartoons. Potter wrote this story for a young friend who had been ill; I'm sure the child felt honoured. I know I would.
Christy
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm laughing as I think about the line "no more twist!" Oh that cat and the poor sick tailor. The mice were great at working their magic and in the end the stitching was a fabulous sight, particularly around the buttons, wink wink ;) Poetic, sweet, and fun!
Sophie Crane
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas, animals
I Love This Amazing Story.
Binibining `E (of The Ugly Writers)
This story reminds me about the story of the elves and the shoemaker.
Katherine
Janelle
I thought I hadn't read any Beatrix Potter until today, but this seems very familiar so I must have encountered it in my childhood.
Luisa Knight
Not my favorite of Potter's stories. Pretty repetitive lines, but just as whimsical of illustrations as ever.

Ages: 5 - 10

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it!

Visit my website!
LeahBethany
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
December 2018 Buddy Read with the Retro Reads Group. I'm ashamed to admit but this was my first Beatrix Potter story (maybe I had been read the Peter Rabbit tales when I was little? If so, I don't remember). "The Tailor of Gloucester" had a sweet message, beautiful illustrations and the perfect touch of fantasy - where else can you find a cat who can run errands?
Bernadette
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No more twist ...more
Prashant
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-book
This is a story of a tailor from the town Gloucester who got the assignment to make some beautiful coats for the mayor. The tailor is impoverished and has a cat and very little money to buy anything. Finally some mice in his shop came to his rescue.

The story is filled with nice language and colorful words but it's wanting in something. Just can't see the magic.

NO MORE TWIST !
momma.hailey
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My favorite of all the Potter books! I love to read this aloud to my babies.
Lauren
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Beatrix Potter tale that i loved as a child. Reread it for #readkidslit.
Nancy
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mice, christmas
This is the kind of story I loved when I was a child, and my grandma Sadie was reading to me at bedtime. I loved stories about Brownies, and dolls, who came to life. In this book the little mice came to help the old Taylor, when he was sick and worn out. The mice had beautiful small stitches for the button holes, and in the future, they made the old tailor rich, from all the business of wealthy men, who wanted beautifully made coasts and waistcoats.
Kristia
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved watching the TV series of Beatrix Potter as a child and The Tailor of Gloucester was one of my favourites, especially to watch at Christmas. So thought it would be lovely to read at Christmas.
Just a timeless story, I still love it as an adult.
Wilde Sky
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
A tailor is helped by some mice.

This was a sweet short story with good illustrations.

Reading time around ten minutes.
Suresh
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A heart warming tale, which for me seems to highlight the care that different species can have for each other. The best tale so far, for me, that I have read of Beatrix.
Abby Ophus
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, christmas
Perfect Christmas read for little ones.
Tracey the Bookworm
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas
Love this book to read to children at Christmas.
Marije
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Oke a bit of cheaty but still I did read it.
Clara Ellen
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My personal favorite of the Beatrix Potter books. Heartwarming!
Debalina
Nice bedtime story to read to your nephew, niece and child. :)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Retro Reads: Dec. 1-7, 2018: "The Tailor of Gloucester" 32 23 Dec 13, 2018 07:02PM

• The Fir Tree
  • Nutcracker
  • Letters from Father Christmas
  • Madeline's Rescue
  • Madeline in London
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who is best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a wealthy household, Potter was educated by governesses and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets, and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District, developed a love of

The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit
  • The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin
  • The Tale of Benjamin Bunny
  • The Tale of Two Bad Mice
  • The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle
  • The Tale of the Pie and the Patty-Pan
  • The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher (Rabbit Ears)
  • The Story of A Fierce Bad Rabbit
  • The Story of Miss Moppet
  • The Tale of Tom Kitten
“In the time of swords and periwigs and full-skirted coats with flowered lappets - when gentlemen wore ruffles, and gold-laced waistcoats of paduasoy and taffeta - there lived a tailor in Gloucester.” 18 likes
“No more twist!” 12 likes