Start by marking “At Home with Beatrix Potter: The Creator of Peter Rabbit” as Want to Read:
At Home with Beatrix Potter: The Creator of Peter Rabbit

At Home with Beatrix Potter: The Creator of Peter Rabbit

The creator of Peter Rabbit, Samuel Whiskers, and Jemima Puddle-Duck, Beatrix Potter (18661942) is one of the best-loved children's book authors of all time. Yet few in America are aware of the role she played in protecting some of England's most beautiful landscapes and in designing romantic interiors and a lovely garden at Hill Top, her beloved Lake District farmhouse. ...more
Published April 1st 2004 by ABRAMS (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about At Home with Beatrix Potter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At Home with Beatrix Potter

Jeanette
Mar 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Any fan of Beatrix Potter's work should read this book. The author, Susan Denyer, worked for the National Trust and was involved in the restoration of the interior of Potter's Hill Top Farm house. She also set up the Beatrix Potter Gallery in Hawkshead. Denyer knew what she was writing about when she put this book about Beatrix Potter's beloved Hill Top Farm together. And what a lovely book it is.
Filled with gorgeous photographs and artwork this book takes the reader on a very detailed tou
Autumn
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This biography of Beatrix Potter was both beautiful and informative. I have wanted to read this book for a very long time- to the point I was afraid to read it. Beatrix Potter was, and remains, one of the heroines of my life. An artist turned farmer turned conservationist, her "short, plump, and solid" self echoes throughout every page. I have avoided reading articles on the internet about Beatrix Potter, all so I could read this book, and I was utterly rewarded. I will think of her when I am pu ...more
Kate
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lovely book and a quick read. I normally would not have selected this book but found it through a reading list for a trip I am taking with Road Scholar. The pictures are well done and accompanying text interesting. Beatrix Potter had a keen mind, strong will, and generous heart which she used to benefit the farming community in the Lake District.
Jenny
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are a fan of Beatrix Potter and her works, or if you are planning a trip to Hill Top and the Lake District, this is the book for you. Beautiful photos and artwork, filled with facts--both well-known and seemingly obscure--about her life. A quick read, or just page through it. I really enjoyed this, and it was helpful for trip planning.
Della
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book looks at the life and times of Beatrix Potter, from her birth until her death in 1943. This book is full of wonderful photographs, illustrations and information. A lovely read to pass the time!
Katie
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A wonderful book.
Angela
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very interesting insight into Beatrix Potter's homes
L.H. Johnson
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ferociously detailed, liberally illustrated, this is a lovely and comprehensive guide to Beatrix Potter in the Lake District. Several chapters cover Hill Top in depth, whilst others focus on a wider perspective and discuss Potter's work in connection with Sawrey and her 'Mrs Heelis' identity as a respected local farmer.

Denyer shines in her love for subject, and particularly in discussing Hill Top itself. These chapters take us on a specific tour of the House, covering each room in detail (I wil
Pamela
Oct 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Actually, what's not to like about England???? Having visited Potter's Hill Top home and village, I found the the book a lovely reminder of the setting which had been a trip back into childhood, from the garden's overturned wheel barrow to the vine covered stoop in the Peter Rabbit stories. This larger picture book is a lovely, nostalgic reminder of that visit and a great complement to the recent biography of Beatrix Potter.
Katrina
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I went over this book several times just to admire the photographs again. This was a library book, and I probably wouldn't buy it, just because I have a hard time justifying coffee table size books I don't want to read, so much as ogle. Really enjoyable book though, I'd recommend it for any fan of the Lake District, and Beatrix Potter.
Kate
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an exquisite book! Beatrix Potter's drawings are delicate and evocative, and the photographs of the Lake District are clear and show the landscape off expertly. It's a book to be savored, it's a book that makes you want to pack up and go live in the Lake District. I wish I owned this book, and I certainly am going to try to find my own copy!
Dee
Jul 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
If you'd like to know more about Beatrix Potter's home life and her efforts to save the farms of the Lake District of England, this book is a good one.

I wrote a complete review as the Oklahoma Gardening Examiner @
http://www.examiner.com/x-711-Oklahom... if you want to take a look.
Louise Leetch
Mar 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
A great guide if you can't be in the Lake District & walking thru the house. It shows & explains every single dish and picture and piece of furniture. The garden section is at least informational & the pictures of the Lakes are just wonderful.
Niki Lewis
Apr 17, 2012 rated it liked it
I love Beatrix Potter. Her life was very interesting. This book is very informative and I love the pictures of her home and farm. I also enjoy her own illustrations and books. She was extremely talented.
Laurie
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a beautiful book. The houses and landscape are all stunning. It's amazing the foresight she had into preserving this land. The views are just breathtaking. It's a shame to think what would have happened if it weren't for Beatrix and her cunning business sense and generosity.
Julia Hendon
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun addition to the books on Beatrix Potter. Beautiful photos and detailed descriptions of the farms and other houses that Potter bought in the Lake District. I especially enjoyed the way the author matches photos of actual landscapes or interiors with Potter's illustrations in her books
Chanelle
Jan 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a look at the homes and farms of Beatrix Potter's life. It was a lot of fun to see how these places influenced her drawings in her books. Don't know if it is for everyone, but if you love BP then you will enjoy this book.
Adele Clagett
Apr 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, especially the photography and illustrations. Beatrix was a very talented and brave women. It was interesting to read about the women behind the lovely children's books.
Sheila C
Jan 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Interesting book about the author of the BP series. I never realized until reading this what a legacy she had in the preservation of the Lake Region of the UK.
Denise Kruse
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exquisite!
Carol
Jan 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely book! Gorgeous color photos and reproductions of Potter's paintings and drawings, focusing on the Lake District.
Nicola Sibley
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Great book, it made you feel like you was there at the house having a tour. Great book for fans of Beatrix Potter.
Karyn
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great pictures go along with an interesting text. Beatrix Potter is one of my all-time favorite authors. I'm glad to have this book in my home library.
Emma
Apr 03, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, artist
A sweet pictorial showing the atmosphere Beatrix Potter was painting and writing in. It was neat to see how the the world around her inspired and made its way into her art.
CJ
Mar 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the photos of the interiors of the houses
Kate Karl
Mar 31, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Beatrix Potter's Journal
  • The Private World of Tasha Tudor
  • Beatrix Potter's Gardening Life: The Plants and Places That Inspired the Classic Children's Tales
  • Beatrix Potter: A Life in Nature
  • The Tale of Beatrix Potter: A Biography
  • Gardens of Awe and Folly: A Traveler's Journal on the Meaning of Life and Gardening
  • A Book of One's Own: People and Their Diaries
  • The Natural World of Winnie-the-Pooh: A Walk Through the Forest that Inspired the Hundred Acre Wood
  • Village in a Valley
  • Casanova Was a Librarian: A Light-Hearted Look at the Profession
  • To Be a Princess: The Fascinating Lives of Real Princesses
  • Sunflower Houses: Inspiration From the Garden--A Book for Children and Their Grown-Ups
  • Ada's Ideas: The Story of Ada Lovelace, the World's First Computer Programmer
  • Castles in the Air: The Restoration Adventures of Two Young Optimists and a Crumbling Old Mansion
  • Laura's Album: A Remembrance Scrapbook of Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Everything I Need to Know I Learned From a Disney Little Golden Book (Disney)
  • The Lost Files of Nancy Drew