Start by marking “How to be Champion” as Want to Read:
How to be Champion

How to be Champion

Part autobiography, part self help, part confession, part celebration of being a common-or-garden woman, part collection of synonyms for nunny, Sarah Millican's debut book delves into her super normal life with daft stories, funny tales and proper advice on how to get past life's blips - like being good at school but not good at friends, the excitement of IBS and how to bl ...more
Published October 5th 2017 by Trapeze

To ask other readers questions about How to be Champion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to be Champion

Start your review of How to be Champion
Louise Wilson
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really like Sarah Millican doing her stand up routines so when I seen she had a book out I had to get myself a copy. Sarah is completely honest in this book and gives us tips along the way on how to be champion. The one I'm going to act on straight away is buy myself a travel kettle. You will need to read the book to find out why. I loved this book from beginning to end. A must read for fans old and new.
Tasha Mahoney
This was an amusing, moving, charming and undeniably funny autobiography. I purchased it in paperback but then I saw it on Audible and read by Sarah Millican herself. I couldn't resist the audiobook and do not regret it, Sarah's no holds barred account of her life was all the better told in her own voice.
Lisa
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, top-author
I really enjoyed this autobiography by one of my fave comedians Sarah Millican.

For double enjoyment I listened to it on audio so I could hear her wonderful accent and laugh along with her.

If you are a fan of Sarah's this is a must read. Informative and incredibly funny (and a little bit gross heehee!)

If you are unfamiliar with Sarah you should check her out - her style of humour is raw, down-to-earth and brutally honest.
Barbara
I've read several autobiographies or extended essays by comedians in the past year and found that there's very little correlation between being funny on stage and being funny on the page. Miranda Hart's book was painfully awful, the wee Scottish lady who was on Strictly was so boring about mental health that I couldn't bring myself to review it on Amazon for fear of the inevitable flood of negative ratings, and if you've ever tried Dawn French's novels, then you'll know why comedians should stic ...more
Anjalee
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars
Stepping into Sarah Millican’s How to Be Champion I thought I’d find a kindred spirit. Bookish, Northern wallflower with a love of comedy? It was supposed to be a match made in heaven - but I quickly felt like an unwelcome reader.

Many a chapter deal with the impact of bullying, making someone feel ashamed for who they are and the importance of being kind to one another however, it was sad to see that Sarah’s tolerance did not extend itself to matters of faith. Her frequent digs at rel
Sid Nuncius
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed How To be Champion. I like Sarah Millican's stand-up, and this, too, is funny (of course), human and thoughtful.

It may be worth beginning with a warning that there is a lot of very frank and intimate talk about sex and bodily functions of all kinds, often using what the TV continuity people would warn us is Very Strong Language. Personally I find this refreshing and often very funny, but if it's not your thing then this definitely isn't a book for you.

It is a book for me, though. I lik
Katy Noyes
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ballsy, brilliant honesty - as funny on paper as she is on a stage. Self-help combined with a personal history, doesn't shy away from pain and embarrassment.

No I'm not gushing. No. Definitely not. Girl crush - who said that? Alright, I loved it. I almost wish I'd got an audio copy, this could only have been improved by having the author reading it to me in her 'comfy' South Shields brogue.

A history of Millican's life - from awkward glasses and perms, to a failure of a first marriage, to the work
Alexandra
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this more than other autobiographies i've read in the past. I had a laugh at most of it, and it was pretty relatable for a lot of it, which was surprising.

If you feel down, or worry about how you're doing in life sometimes, this book is actually a little uplifting in it's humour, and comforting in it's own wee way.
Liz
I have seen Sarah Millican live and find her extremely funny. I like her style of humour and down to earth attitude. When I saw this for a bargain 99p, I thought what could go wrong.

Unfortunately, I found this quite boring. This was due to the style it was written in and felt disjointed and not well written. It had moments of humour, and I liked that it was trying to get across some key messages such as work hard and her experiences with bullies.

I'm disappointed as I thought I would enjoy it. I
kay cartwright
Oct 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lee
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, 2019, 2020
4.25 stars.

I fucking love Sarah Millican. This book's also a little deeper and more personal that what you'd usually get from an autobiography of someone who's a celebrity. Really enjoyed it.
Ian D
Apr 30, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british-lit, memoir
“Don’t be mean to people you know and don’t be mean to people you don’t. You have no idea what someone is dealing with at the time. Be nice or be quiet.

Καλό θα ήταν να το εφαρμόζαμε πού και πού...
Sally Whiteside
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very amusing with parts that made me laugh out loud. I love watching Sarah Milligan and this is a great book that I couldn't help reading in her voice.
Kinga
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
All you’d expect from Sarah Millican. Lovely and cosy, like a nice cup of tea. And funny, too! So, not like a cup of tea, as well.

In short: if you like Sarah Millican, you'll like this book.
Sandra "Jeanz"
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
REVIEW
I have watched Sarah Millican on a few different TV shows and one of her DVD's and found her quite funny. I also think she projects the fact she is a down to earth, normal person with everyday challenges both at work, with family and life. So as I find her quite relatable I wanted to read the blurb of this book which of course mentions different trials and tribulations from being of school age onward.

The cover features Sarah wearing a yellow/mustard cardigan with the buttons fastened wron
Tamara Niemi
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Living in Switzerland, I had not heard of Sarah Millican until she came up in conversation among some English friends. I happened on this book and thought "I'm pretty sure I missed her gigs in Switzerland, because I miss everything, so I'll check this out."

And that's how I nearly killed myself laughing on a treadmill during a work trip to Bangladesh. I am only thankful the book didn't fall on me when I fell face first.

She's so normal, and so willing to be normal. My new goal is to be champ
Kelly
I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this on audio. Sarah is charming, intelligent and outrageously funny. As well as being a light-hearted read, this book also gives a glimpse into some more hard hitting topics and is certainly food for thought as well as fun.
Ruth This one
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've just finished listening to Sarah Millican's How to be Champion and warmly appreciated it. She made me laugh, and cry, (and at the same time she is helping me run a bit further every day with the couch to 5k app) . 5 stars from me! We all need a little love and understanding and encouragement at this time and Sarah provides it in buckets, plus a cake recipe.
Leann
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this

Really enjoyed this and read it in three sittings. I like Sarah's comedy and there are definitely plenty of laugh out loud moments here, as well as some more serious bits. The girl can write and has plenty of good advice to offer too.
Grace
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is an absolute gem of a book.
It is uplifting, touching, incredibly honest and hilarious.
At one point, I laughed so hard on the bus reading this, the person next to me moved seats.
Really worth your time.
Sam (she_who_reads_)
This autobiography was just all sorts of fun! What I really appreciated about this one though, is that it’s not just a joke a minute as so many comedian’s books are (not that that’s always a bad thing lol) but rather was interspersed with with some practical, solid advice for dealing with the things Sarah herself has been through such as bullying and divorce. Overall just a funny, fiercely feminist, heart warming little book that I can see myself going back to again and again.
Jude (NovelReader13)
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Smart, genuine, insightful and just really, really funny.
Nefeli
Apr 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, humour
Very honest and very cute. It wasn't without its issues but it was entertaining and quite touching at times. I read the entire thing hearing her voice in my head, it was brilliant.
Joanne D'Arcy
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
No doubt many people are going to call this book Champion and it will become a well-worn plaudits - but that is quite simply because this book does exactly what it says on the cover.

I have never been a fan of self-help books, but if they were all like this then I would be reading far more!

First of all, I read this because I am a fan of Sarah Millican. I have seen her live and watched many of her DVDs and wandered around YouTube listening to bits and pieces. There is something about what she tal
Anna
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a nice, life affirming book. Now I'm off to buy big chocolate buttons for the banana bread the last chapter is designed to make you need to bake immediately!
Caroline
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have to admit that when I started this book it took me a while to get into it. When telling us about her childhood, Sarah Millican was too normal. I asked myself 'why am I reading about someone that is just like me', but then as I got into it then I realised that that was exactly what the beauty of it is. Sarah has been through hard times and heartache like many of us. She describes hilarious office scenes in the wake of her divorce, therapy, Dr visits, and family support. She talks about IBS, ...more
Anna Bay
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's sad to think about that I started this book the minute before the biggest reading slump in history, I think that's actually without exaggerating. I read what? 5, books or so last year and two of them were 15 pages long, god what an embarrassment.

After starting to go to bed without a phone and only a book reading has come quite naturally again, thank god. And I'm so glad I decided to finish this one as the first, because fuck I love Sarah, she's just my type of human. Nothing is off the lim
Elizabeth
Three and a half stars, rounded up to four.

Some really good stuff, and some bits that I didn't enjoy quite as much. But all told, I thought Sarah Millican came across completely as herself - warm, witty, wise and frequently very rude.

Not one to read if you're easily offended, but definitely one to read if you're looking for a motivational uplifting and honest book.

Reading a memoir of a person you like is always a big gamble. You run the risk of discovering something about them that makes you d
Joey Woolfardis
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
My goodreads shelves have weird names. I get that they're mainly to help sort them out and possibly let others know if they'll like the book depending on whether someone has put them on the "Best YA evuuurrrr" shelf or not. But mine are weird and I like it.

The stars are thus:
1 star = bloody cack
2 stars = intriguing, but ultimately naff
3 stars = ahreet
4 stars = champion
5 stars = blithe

So I already know where this book is coming from, miles away. How to be Champion has landed itself firmly on the
Jane
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir, memoir-2019
I need more stars for this book. I’ve chuckled, giggled, snorted with laughter as I read it. My eyes also leaked a bit in places. I saw Sarah Millican as part of her ‘How to be champion’ tour in November in Brighton. She made me laugh. A lot. She oozed confidence and charm and funniness. So super interesting to read a bit about the behind the scenes, about anxiety, about concerns, about her drive and motivation. I’m utterly charmed by the book and by her.
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine 3 17 Jan 09, 2018 04:57AM

• Parsnips, Buttered: How to baffle, bamboozle and boycott your way through modern life
  • Spectacles
  • Look Who It Is!: My Story
  • Dishonesty is the Second-Best Policy: And Other Rules to Live By
  • This Is Going to Hurt: Secret Diaries of a Junior Doctor
  • Bonkers: My Life in Laughs
Sarah Millican is an English comedian.