Start by marking “Sky Without Stars (System Divine, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sky Without Stars (System Divine, #1)

Sky Without Stars

(System Divine #1)

A thief. An officer. A guardian.

Three strangers. One shared destiny . . .

When the Last Days came, the planet of Laterre promised hope. But five hundred years later, its now a place where an extravagant elite class reigns supreme; where the clouds hide the stars and the poor starve in the streets; where a rebel group, long thought dead, is resurfacing.

Whispers of
Published March 26th 2019 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Sky Without Stars, please sign up.
Moondust Dreamer
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Sky Without Stars (System Divine, #1)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

I had preordered this book as soon as I saw the cover and read it was a ya sci fi book. This book is being called Les Mis meets Lunar Chronicles?! I think thats what I read. Anyhoo, I dont care too much for Les Mis and I love the Lunar Chronicles, but fortunately this book was one all its own. I could see some of the Les Mis similarities but luckily thats all it was in my opinion.

Either way, great read and I look forward to the next book!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Cesar
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars.

RTC.

***************************************

Have I read the Lunar Chronicles? Yes.

Have I read Les Miserables? No.

Am I going to read 1,000 pages of drama? No.

Am I gonna be a filthy casual and look up the summary of Les Mis on Google? Hell yes.
Vibur
Mar 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
I'm sitting here, writing this review, and I've realised that I'm so tired. Or rather, so tired of this boring, overlong novel. Stilted dialogue, sluggish pacing and a painfully uninspired plot meant that more often than not while reading I was musing about more interesting things. Like, you know, the different chair positionings for dental scaling. Or the correct angle of probe insertion between teeth.

All in all, Sky Without Stars was a mush of dull, lifeless scenes, topped with stale wafers
- ̗̀  jess  ̖́-
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a huge, huge Les Misérables fan, this book was such a relief compared to the other retellings I've readSky Without Stars takes the plot of Les Mis and hurls it into space. Literally. Weirdly enough, the drastic changes in setting, plot, and character Sky Without Stars made to Les Mis was what made me enjoy it so much more--I wasn't hung up on all the inaccuracies and deviations; I was just interested how the characters of Éponine, Cosette, and Marius translated to Chatine, Alouette, and ...more
Nasom
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
So I watched the musical film version of Les Misérables when it came out but I don't even think I finished it and I certainly didn't remember anything about the storyline (except that there was a prisoner 24601) so reading this didn't feel like a retelling to me!

That being said, I liked the book in general even though I'm kind of tired of the whole rebellion book plots! This book also had a love triangle and insta-love which weirdly, didn't bother me much but I had a preference for the
Carrie
Mar 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Sky Without Stars by Jessica Brody and Joanne Rendell is the first book in the young adult science fiction fantasy System Divine series. This series is a retelling of the classic novel, Les Misérables by Victor Hugo.

Now, Im not familiar with Les Misérables myself so I went into this one blind on comparing it to the classic and only reading based on the new fantasy set in space. The world within is built on the idea that there were twelve families that went to twelve new planets and now five
Kelly Brigid ♡
I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Sky Without Stars is an enjoyable book that kept me on the edge of my seat! I had very high expectations coming into it, so this did cause me to feel a small pang of disappointment. The characters are beautifully illustrated, and all have depth and unique qualities. The elements that I adore most about this book are the parallels and spins placed on Victor Hugo's Les Miserables. It was such a joy to see these well known
Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐
4.5???? I feel like I'm laying here stunned???? That ending was...intense. RTC

The rich traded goods and extravagances.
While the poor traded dreams and ideas.

From The Chronicles of the Sisterhood,
Volume 12, Chapter 1

When I first came across this book, I wasnt so much drawn in by the fact that it was a Les Mis retelling. It really was as simple as me seeing where she guards and protects the last surviving library on the planet in the synopsis. Little did I know, that was going to be one of the
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

When the Last Days came, the planet of Laterre promised hope. A new life for a wealthy French family and their descendants. But five hundred years later, its now a place where an extravagant elite class reigns supreme; where the clouds hide the stars and the poor starve in the streets; where a rebel group, long thought dead, is resurfacing. Chatine a street-savvy thief, Marcellus an office and Alouette a guardian all play a role in a dangerous
Melissa
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: riveted-lit, 2020
See my review of The Thief, short story, in the page of the book.

Sky Without Stars review coming soon!
Mellie Antoinette
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Just all around incredible wow. This book, yall, #RTB Read This Book! It was everything, innovatively combining the classic storylines of Les Miserables with just enough political intrigue, caractère, and French social quips, culture and linguistic rigamarole to be a delightful romp through the three Sols (shipping the Fleur de Lis in space format!) of the Système Divine.

The First Estate played.

Right off the bat, were introduced to Chatine, a hard-on-her-luck, pave-her-own-pathway Fret
Adah Udechukwu
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sky Without Stars is an extraordinary novel. It was awesome from start to finish. I loved every moment and i recommend this novel to everyone.
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
This review can also be found on my blog!

CW: neglect, death, and abuse

When I closed the book after reading the last page, my overall feeling was meh. Thats it. Just a meh book. I thought it sounded interesting because its a Les Mis retelling in space even though Ive never read the book and found the musical only tolerable to watch but I was wrong.

The story follows three people. Chatine is a young woman who is trying to make a living on the streets, dressing as a boy to get work. Marcellus is
Hollis
I dragged my feet so hard through this one. I put it off, put it off, and then after finally picking it up, it just seemed to last forever. It is long, clocking in at close to six hundred pages, but wow. Finishing this feels like winning an award.

I requested SKY WITHOUT STARS mostly because a) sci-fi, b) YA, and c) I figured my lack of familiarity with the source material of the retelling would make for more enjoyment as I wouldn't be constantly comparing it to the original. But I think I was
Sheila Goicea
I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

description

All included quotes have been taken from an ARC and may not match the finished publication.

Content Warning: Violence, Torture, Death/Execution, Persecution, Prejudice, Murder, Oppression, Gangs, Abuse

Les Miserables is a massive book. Its an even larger task to unpack everything within its text. I cant even fathom what it would be like to try and create a retelling of this classical tale. Yet, authors
Colleen Houck
If you are a Les Mis fan you HAVE to read this book. I HEART musicals, big-time, but I have to admit Les Mis isn't my favorite, the Hugh Jackman version being the exception. I know...I know...you're all ready to argue. I just don't like war stuff. Or revolution. Or songs about it. Anyhoo...I did, however, really like this. The characters I usually don't like in Les Mis, I loved in this adaptation. It was such a clever reimagining. My hubby loves Les Mis and I think he'll really enjoy this one!
Sha
omg im in love. in love. best book of the year?? I THINK.

full review to come MARCH 14

Disclaimer: I received this ARC courtesy of Simon Pulse through NetGalley. I am grateful for the opportunity to review an ARC for my readers, but this will not influence my final rating. All opinions expressed in this review are my own and based solely on the book.
Lia
Apr 16, 2019 marked it as to-read
Did I read that right???
A Les Mis retelling???
SIGN ME THE FLUFF UP!
Christy
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sky Without Stars is everything you ever wanted in a space drama (and/or Les Mis retelling) AND MORE. I cant believe how quickly this book went by and how much I was begging for book 2 at the end (Jess and Jo - are you listening? Feel free to download it directly in my brain. Thx).

Let me give you three reasons why youll love Sky Without Stars:

1. Chatine
2. Marcellus
3. Alouette

Thats it! There you have it. Happy reading.

Ok but no seriously - there are a million reasons to love this book but Ill
Mila
Nov 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
The digital arc of this book was kindly provided by the publisher via Edelweiss+ website in exchange for an honest review.

3,5 stars

What I liked:
- The sci-fi setting with all the French words and elements added to it;
- Chatine who is quite a morally gray character and definitely the most interesting one in this novel;
- The plot was pretty solid for the most part;
- The writing was beautiful.

What I didn't like:
- Alouette and Marcellus both had the personality equivalent to cardboard and I was
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
4.5/5

Whoa, i liked this WAY more than I thought I would!

The Les Mis references kept making me squeal and it really had a ton of influenced from The Lunar Chronicles and The Hunger Games! Like imagine you read Winter but from the POV of all the people stuck on Luna. I loved the ending too! TONS of twists and turns in the last half too. I was concerned with the size, that it would drag but it really didn't. Super excited for the sequel.
Eva
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-books
Les Mis and sci-fi all rolled into one, with a cool, Lunar Chronicles vibe???

YAAAAAAAS.

I can't wait for the second book.
Vicky Who Reads
Jun 06, 2018 marked it as to-read
ehhhm emem em. sorry WHAT?

Les Mis meets The Lunar Chronicles WHAT IS THIS I'M SCREAMING EEEEP
Tamara (enviereads)
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
rating: 4 stars

I really enjoyed this scifi retelling of Les Miserables! All three perspectives were well thought out and I loved how all the stories intertwined. It took me a while to finish though, and I'm not really sure why. 🤔 But all in all solid 4 stars, and I'll definitely read the sequel!
Erica Brown
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I havent been so giddy over a book in such a long time. This book brought back all the middle school nostalgia :)

When I was in 7th grade, I did theatre. Little did I know that one of the last shows I was ever going to do was Les Misérables. I remember being so excited to do this show, I mean it was a lot of work, but I remember being so giddy about being able to do a big kids show with my local theatre group.

Well, this book brought back all the giddiness and excitement. Once I finished that
Tucker
Dec 04, 2018 marked it as not-released-tbr
Shelves: reviewed
I'm sorry. 2019, did I say you could have all the best books?!
Lauren James  (storied.adventures)
Review also on my blog, Storied Adventures

Story/Plot: The premise of the story and plot were A . I mean, a retelling of Les Miserables?! I LOVE that play (I know it's based off of the book, I've just never read it.)! Plus it's a retelling in space!  That's right up my alley! And that's about all I liked of the book.

Writing: I did like the writing. It wasn't anything fancy or my favorite writing ever, but it was good. It was easy to follow along and I never got lost in the story.

Characters:
Andrea
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
What a fascinating retelling of Les Miserables!

Sky Without Stars revolves around three different teenagers on the planet of Laterre. The nobility are lavishing in their excess, while the poor are starving for work and from hunger. But revolution is coming and the resistance will not be stopped this time.

Chatine is a thief who dresses as a small and scrawny boy called Tao. She'll do anything it takes to escape from Laterre, even if that means spying on an officer of the law. Marcellus is an
Jaime
Les Mis in Space? HECK YES

Sky Without Stars is an incredible and brilliant science-fiction retelling of Les Misérables. While long, it dives deep into the characters psyche and morals and gives hope despite the circumstances. And oh boy, I am ready for the revolution.

Full review can be found here: https://booksandwafflesblog.wordpress...
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
You can find the full review and all the fancy and/or randomness that accompanies it at It Starts at Midnight .

Confession time! I have never read/seen/consumed Les Misérables in any capacity. I don't intend to, either. Though it sounds mildly interesting, classics aren't really my jam, plus the thing is like, 1500 pages and just hard pass okay? That said, the premise is kind of appealing? So when I saw that this book was going to be an iteration on different freaking planets, obviously sign me

• House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • Bloodleaf (Bloodleaf, #1)
  • The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #1)
  • Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers, #1)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Four Dead Queens
  • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • Dark Shores (Dark Shores, #1)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
Jessica Brody knew from a young age that she wanted to be a writer. She started self publishing her own books when she was seven years old, binding the pages together with cardboard, wallpaper samples, and electrical tape.

After graduating from Smith College in 2001 where she double majored in Economics and French and minored in Japanese, Jessica later went on to work for MGM Studios as a Manager

System Divine (2 books)
  • Between Burning Worlds (System Divine, #2)

Articles featuring this book

When looking for the best recommendations in the young adult genre, we decided to turn to YA authors themselves. Narrowing ...