Start by marking “Sky Without Stars (System Divine, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sky Without Stars (System Divine, #1)

Sky Without Stars

(System Divine #1)

A thief. An officer. A guardian.

Three strangers. One shared destiny . . .

When the Last Days came, the planet of Laterre promised hope. But five hundred years later, it’s now a place where an extravagant elite class reigns supreme; where the clouds hide the stars and the poor starve in the streets; where a rebel group, long thought dead, is resurfacing.

Whispers of revoluti
Published March 26th 2019 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Sky Without Stars, please sign up.
Vanilla Nightmare
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Sky Without Stars (System Divine, #1)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
4.5stars

I’ve never been a big Les Mis fan but I loved this book. Also, I love The Lunar Chronicle (at least I hope I still do!) but this is nothing like those books so I don’t understand the comparison!

Anyhoo, this was a great reread as I have the new book to read and am looking forward to it after that cliffhanger!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Cesar
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars.

RTC.

***************************************

Have I read the Lunar Chronicles? Yes.

Have I read Les Miserables? No.

Am I going to read 1,000 pages of drama? No.

Am I gonna be a filthy casual and look up the summary of Les Mis on Google? Hell yes.
Vibur (hiatus)
Mar 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
I'm sitting here, writing this review, and I've realised that I'm so tired. Or rather, so tired of this boring, overlong novel. Stilted dialogue, sluggish pacing and a painfully uninspired plot meant that more often than not while reading I was musing about more... interesting things. Like, you know, the different chair positionings for dental scaling. Or the correct angle of probe insertion between teeth.

All in all, Sky Without Stars was a mush of dull, lifeless scenes, topped with stale wafe
Kimberly (Deity of Books)
Actual Rating: 4.5/5

I've never read or seen Les Misérables, don't know anything about the plot, and I only know it's set around the time of the French Revolution.

So why did I read this or even add this to my tbr list?

It's set in space and I'm a sucker for any book set in space. I love sci-fi books, but I don't really read a lot of them. Also, I'm a sucker for this gorgeous cover.

When I first started reading, I thought it was going to be very boring, but I was so blown away by how much I enjoyed
- ̗̀  jess  ̖́-
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a huge, huge Les Misérables fan, this book was such a relief compared to the other retellings I've readSky Without Stars takes the plot of Les Mis and hurls it into space. Literally. Weirdly enough, the drastic changes in setting, plot, and character Sky Without Stars made to Les Mis was what made me enjoy it so much more--I wasn't hung up on all the inaccuracies and deviations; I was just interested how the characters of Éponine, Cosette, and Marius translated to Chatine, Alouette, and Mar ...more
Nasom
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
So I watched the musical film version of Les Misérables when it came out but I don't even think I finished it and I certainly didn't remember anything about the storyline (except that there was a prisoner 24601) so reading this didn't feel like a retelling to me!

That being said, I liked the book in general even though I'm kind of tired of the whole rebellion book plots! This book also had a love triangle and insta-love which weirdly, didn't bother me much but I had a preference for the love-tri
Carrie
Mar 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Sky Without Stars by Jessica Brody and Joanne Rendell is the first book in the young adult science fiction fantasy System Divine series. This series is a retelling of the classic novel, Les Misérables by Victor Hugo.

Now, I’m not familiar with Les Misérables myself so I went into this one blind on comparing it to the classic and only reading based on the new fantasy set in space. The world within is built on the idea that there were twelve families that went to twelve new planets and now five hun
Kelly Brigid ♡
I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Sky Without Stars is an enjoyable book that kept me on the edge of my seat! I had very high expectations coming into it, so this did cause me to feel a small pang of disappointment. The characters are beautifully illustrated, and all have depth and unique qualities. The elements that I adore most about this book are the parallels and spins placed on Victor Hugo's Les Miserables. It was such a joy to see these well known scen
Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐
4.5???? I feel like I'm laying here stunned???? That ending was...intense. RTC

The rich traded goods and extravagances.
While the poor traded dreams and ideas.

From The Chronicles of the Sisterhood,
Volume 12, Chapter 1

When I first came across this book, I wasn’t so much drawn in by the fact that it was a Les Mis retelling. It really was as simple as me seeing “where she guards and protects the last surviving library on the planet” in the synopsis. Little did I know, that was going to be one of the
Melissa
See my review of The Thief, short story, in the page of the book.

Sky Without Stars review coming soon!
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

When the Last Days came, the planet of Laterre promised hope. A new life for a wealthy French family and their descendants. But five hundred years later, it’s now a place where an extravagant elite class reigns supreme; where the clouds hide the stars and the poor starve in the streets; where a rebel group, long thought dead, is resurfacing. Chatine a street-savvy thief, Marcellus an office and Alouette a guardian all play a role in a dangerous
Mellie Antoinette
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Just all around incredible wow. This book, y’all, #RTB — Read This Book! It was everything, innovatively combining the classic storylines of Les Miserables with just enough political intrigue, caractère, and French social quips, culture and linguistic rigamarole to be a delightful romp through the three Sols (shipping the Fleur de Lis in space format!) of the Système Divine.

“The First Estate played.”

Right off the bat, we’re introduced to Chatine, a hard-on-her-luck, pave-her-own-pathway F
Adah Udechukwu
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sky Without Stars is an extraordinary novel. It was awesome from start to finish. I loved every moment and i recommend this novel to everyone.
Caidyn (he/him/his)
This review can also be found on my blog!

CW: neglect, death, and abuse

When I closed the book after reading the last page, my overall feeling was “meh.” That’s it. Just a meh book. I thought it sounded interesting because it’s a Les Mis retelling in space — even though I’ve never read the book and found the musical only tolerable to watch — but I was wrong.

The story follows three people. Chatine is a young woman who is trying to make a living on the streets, dressing as a boy to get work. Marcell
Hollis
I dragged my feet so hard through this one. I put it off, put it off, and then after finally picking it up, it just seemed to last forever. It is long, clocking in at close to six hundred pages, but wow. Finishing this feels like winning an award.

I requested SKY WITHOUT STARS mostly because a) sci-fi, b) YA, and c) I figured my lack of familiarity with the source material of the retelling would make for more enjoyment as I wouldn't be constantly comparing it to the original. But I think I was ju
Sheila Goicea
I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

description

All included quotes have been taken from an ARC and may not match the finished publication.

Content Warning: Violence, Torture, Death/Execution, Persecution, Prejudice, Murder, Oppression, Gangs, Abuse

Les Miserables is a massive book. It’s an even larger task to unpack everything within its text. I can’t even fathom what it would be like to try and create a retelling of this classical tale. Yet, authors Jess
Christy
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sky Without Stars is everything you ever wanted in a space drama (and/or Les Mis retelling) AND MORE. I can’t believe how quickly this book went by and how much I was begging for book 2 at the end (Jess and Jo - are you listening? Feel free to download it directly in my brain. Thx).

Let me give you three reasons why you’ll love Sky Without Stars:

1. Chatine
2. Marcellus
3. Alouette

That’s it! There you have it. Happy reading.

Ok but no seriously - there are a million reasons to love this book but I’l
Sha
omg im in love. in love. best book of the year?? I THINK.

full review to come MARCH 14

Disclaimer: I received this ARC courtesy of Simon Pulse through NetGalley. I am grateful for the opportunity to review an ARC for my readers, but this will not influence my final rating. All opinions expressed in this review are my own and based solely on the book.
Eva
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-books
Les Mis and sci-fi all rolled into one, with a cool, Lunar Chronicles vibe???

YAAAAAAAS.

I can't wait for the second book.
Colleen Houck
If you are a Les Mis fan you HAVE to read this book. I HEART musicals, big-time, but I have to admit Les Mis isn't my favorite, the Hugh Jackman version being the exception. I know...I know...you're all ready to argue. I just don't like war stuff. Or revolution. Or songs about it. Anyhoo...I did, however, really like this. The characters I usually don't like in Les Mis, I loved in this adaptation. It was such a clever reimagining. My hubby loves Les Mis and I think he'll really enjoy this one!
Aly
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
2nd time reading
I'm so glad I reread this! I forgot a lot of things that are important to the story. The more I read this, the more I like Chatine and the less I care for Marcellus or Alouette. They aren't bad characters, they're just so spoiled in comparison to Chatine and don't know what it's like to do what you have to for survival. She's been through so much, her parents don't care if she's alive or dead, no friends, starving. I'm hoping to see her rise up in book two and be a leader.

This i
booksnpenguins
Apr 16, 2019 marked it as to-read
Did I read that right???
A Les Mis retelling???
SIGN ME THE FLUFF UP!
Erica Brown
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I haven’t been so giddy over a book in such a long time. This book brought back all the middle school nostalgia :)

When I was in 7th grade, I did theatre. Little did I know that one of the last shows I was ever going to do was Les Misérables. I remember being so excited to do this show, I mean it was a lot of work, but I remember being so giddy about being able to do a big kids show with my local theatre group.

Well, this book brought back all the giddiness and excitement. Once I finished that s
Tamara (enviereads)
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
rating: 4 stars

I really enjoyed this scifi retelling of Les Miserables! All three perspectives were well thought out and I loved how all the stories intertwined. It took me a while to finish though, and I'm not really sure why. 🤔 But all in all solid 4 stars, and I'll definitely read the sequel!
Mila
Nov 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, dropped-series
The digital arc of this book was kindly provided by the publisher via Edelweiss+ website in exchange for an honest review.

3,5 stars

What I liked:
- The sci-fi setting with all the French words and elements added to it;
- Chatine who is quite a morally gray character and definitely the most interesting one in this novel;
- The plot was pretty solid for the most part;
- The writing was beautiful.

What I didn't like:
- Alouette and Marcellus both had the personality equivalent to cardboard and I was ofte
Vicky Again
Jun 06, 2018 marked it as to-read
ehhhm emem em. sorry WHAT?

Les Mis meets The Lunar Chronicles WHAT IS THIS I'M SCREAMING EEEEP
Andy
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
What a fascinating retelling of Les Miserables!

Sky Without Stars revolves around three different teenagers on the planet of Laterre. The nobility are lavishing in their excess, while the poor are starving for work and from hunger. But revolution is coming and the resistance will not be stopped this time.

Chatine is a thief who dresses as a small and scrawny boy called Tao. She'll do anything it takes to escape from Laterre, even if that means spying on an officer of the law. Marcellus is an offic
Lauren James  (storied.adventures)
Review also on my blog, Storied Adventures

Story/Plot: The premise of the story and plot were A . I mean, a retelling of Les Miserables?! I LOVE that play (I know it's based off of the book, I've just never read it.)! Plus it's a retelling in space!  That's right up my alley! And that's about all I liked of the book.

Writing: I did like the writing. It wasn't anything fancy or my favorite writing ever, but it was good. It was easy to follow along and I never got lost in the story.

Characters: Her
Claudia Amendola
May 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF - I read up to 280 pages and I couldn't do this anymore. What a GARBAGE, GARBAGE book that had SUCH POTENTIAL! I wanted to love this book, hence why I gave it way longer than I should have. As someone who lived in Paris, is a Francophile, and loves the works of Victor Hugo, who would say no to a Les Miserables retelling in a space-Paris?!
WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?

They say if you're going to make a book 600 pages, every. single. page. better. be. worth. it. WHERE WAS THE EDITOR? There were TWO
rose ★
ok, here we go. just warning you, this is going to be a much longer/ in-depth review than i normally write, because i have so many thoughts that i need to get out lol.

to start:
I LOVED IT.
it was so much better than i dared let myself hope for. i’ll be honest, i was genuinely so scared to read this because if there’s one thing that i like more than the lunar chronicles, it’s les miserables. and i was really worried that this would ruin them both a bit for me. my initial expectations for this book

• All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers, #1)
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Heart of Flames (Crown of Feathers #2)
  • Aurora Burning (The Aurora Cycle, #2)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • The Kingdom of Back
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Dark Shores (Dark Shores, #1)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • Bloodleaf (Bloodleaf, #1)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
Jessica Brody knew from a young age that she wanted to be a writer. She started self “publishing” her own books when she was seven years old, binding the pages together with cardboard, wallpaper samples, and electrical tape.

After graduating from Smith College in 2001 where she double majored in Economics and French and minored in Japanese, Jessica later went on to work for MGM Studios as a Manager

System Divine (3 books)
  • Between Burning Worlds (System Divine, #2)
  • Suns Will Rise (System Divine, #3)

Articles featuring this book

When looking for the best recommendations in the young adult genre, we decided to turn to YA authors themselves. Narrowing...