Start by marking “Sky Without Stars (System Divine, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sky Without Stars (System Divine, #1)

Sky Without Stars

(System Divine #1)

A thief. An officer. A guardian.

Three strangers. One shared destiny . . .

When the Last Days came, the planet of Laterre promised hope. But five hundred years later, it’s now a place where an extravagant elite class reigns supreme; where the clouds hide the stars and the poor starve in the streets; where a rebel group, long thought dead, is resurfacing.

Whispers of revoluti
Published March 26th 2019 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Sky Without Stars, please sign up.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

I had preordered this book as soon as I saw the cover and read it was a ya sci fi book. This book is being called Les Mis meets Lunar Chronicles?! I think that’s what I read. Anyhoo, I don’t care too much for Les Mis and I love the Lunar Chronicles, but fortunately this book was one all its own. I could see some of the Les Mis similarities but luckily that’s all it was in my opinion.

Either way, great read and I look forward to the next book!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Cesar
Jun 07, 2018 marked it as to-read
Have I read the Lunar Chronicles? Yes.

Have I read Les Miserables? No.

Am I going to read 1,000 pages of drama? No.

Am I gonna be a filthy casual and look up the summary of Les Mis on Google? Hell yes.
Vibur
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: will-read
I'm sitting here, attempting to write this review, and I've realised that I'm so, so tired.
Or to be more specific—so, so tired of this novel.
I'll be straight to the point—it was boring. I read it while waiting at the bus stop, and more often than not, I was musing about, I don't know, more interesting things, like different chair positionings for dental scaling and the correct angle of probe insertion between teeth.

The problem was I never connected to it. And that was in part because the plot
Nasom
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
So I watched the musical film version of Les Misérables when it came out but I don't even think I finished it and I certainly didn't remember anything about the storyline (except that there was a prisoner 24601) so reading this didn't feel like a retelling to me!

That being said, I liked the book in general even though I'm kind of tired of the whole rebellion book plots! This book also had a love triangle and insta-love which weirdly, didn't bother me much but I had a preference for the love-tri
Carrie
Mar 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Sky Without Stars by Jessica Brody and Joanne Rendell is the first book in the young adult science fiction fantasy System Divine series. This series is a retelling of the classic novel, Les Misérables by Victor Hugo.

Now, I’m not familiar with Les Misérables myself so I went into this one blind on comparing it to the classic and only reading based on the new fantasy set in space. The world within is built on the idea that there were twelve families that went to twelve new planets and now five hun
- ̗̀  jess  ̖́-
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a huge, huge Les Misérables fan, this book was such a relief compared to the other retellings I've readSky Without Stars takes the plot of Les Mis and hurls it into space. Literally. Weirdly enough, the drastic changes in setting, plot, and character Sky Without Stars made to Les Mis was what made me enjoy it so much more--I wasn't hung up on all the inaccuracies and deviations; I was just interested how the characters of Éponine, Cosette, and Marius translated to Chatine, Alouette, and Mar ...more
Kelly Brigid
I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. I'm so thankful and excited that I'm nearly crying. The premise of this book is quite literally all my hopes and dreams.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Bloglovin
Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐
4.5???? I feel like I'm laying here stunned???? That ending was...intense. RTC

The rich traded goods and extravagances.
While the poor traded dreams and ideas.

From The Chronicles of the Sisterhood,
Volume 12, Chapter 1

When I first came across this book, I wasn’t so much drawn in by the fact that it was a Les Mis retelling. It really was as simple as me seeing “where she guards and protects the last surviving library on the planet” in the synopsis. Little did I know, that was going to be one of the
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

When the Last Days came, the planet of Laterre promised hope. A new life for a wealthy French family and their descendants. But five hundred years later, it’s now a place where an extravagant elite class reigns supreme; where the clouds hide the stars and the poor starve in the streets; where a rebel group, long thought dead, is resurfacing. Chatine a street-savvy thief, Marcellus an office and Alouette a guardian all play a role in a dangerous
Hollis
I dragged my feet so hard through this one. I put it off, put it off, and then after finally picking it up, it just seemed to last forever. It is long, clocking in at close to six hundred pages, but wow. Finishing this feels like winning an award.

I requested SKY WITHOUT STARS mostly because a) sci-fi, b) YA, and c) I figured my lack of familiarity with the source material of the retelling would make for more enjoyment as I wouldn't be constantly comparing it to the original. But I think I was ju
Mellie Antoinette
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Just all around incredible wow. This book, y’all, #RTB — Read This Book! It was everything, innovatively combining the classic storylines of Les Miserables with just enough political intrigue, caractère, and French social quips, culture and linguistic rigamarole to be a delightful romp through the three Sols (shipping the Fleur de Lis in space format!) of the Système Divine.

“The First Estate played.”

Right off the bat, we’re introduced to Chatine, a hard-on-her-luck, pave-her-own-pathway F
Adah Udechukwu
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sky Without Stars is an extraordinary novel. It was awesome from start to finish. I loved every moment and i recommend this novel to everyone.
Lia  °booksnpenguins°
Apr 16, 2019 marked it as to-read
Did I read that right???
A Les Mis retelling???
SIGN ME THE FLUFF UP!
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
This review can also be found on my blog!

CW: neglect, death, and abuse

When I closed the book after reading the last page, my overall feeling was “meh.” That’s it. Just a meh book. I thought it sounded interesting because it’s a Les Mis retelling in space — even though I’ve never read the book and found the musical only tolerable to watch — but I was wrong.

The story follows three people. Chatine is a young woman who is trying to make a living on the streets, dressing as a boy to get work. Marcell
Mila
Nov 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
The digital arc of this book was kindly provided by the publisher via Edelweiss+ website in exchange for an honest review.

3,5 stars

What I liked:
- The sci-fi setting with all the French words and elements added to it;
- Chatine who is quite a morally gray character and definitely the most interesting one in this novel;
- The plot was pretty solid for the most part;
- The writing was beautiful.

What I didn't like:
- Alouette and Marcellus both had the personality equivalent to cardboard and I was ofte
♠️ TABI ♠️
Jul 13, 2017 is currently reading it
Les Mis AND Lunar Chronicles??????

Vicky Who Reads
Jun 06, 2018 marked it as to-read
ehhhm emem em. sorry WHAT?

Les Mis meets The Lunar Chronicles WHAT IS THIS I'M SCREAMING EEEEP
Sheila Goicea
I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

description

All included quotes have been taken from an ARC and may not match the finished publication.

Content Warning: Violence, Torture, Death/Execution, Persecution, Prejudice, Murder, Oppression, Gangs, Abuse

Les Miserables is a massive book. It’s an even larger task to unpack everything within its text. I can’t even fathom what it would be like to try and create a retelling of this classical tale. Yet, authors Jess
Eva
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-books
Les Mis and sci-fi all rolled into one, with a cool, Lunar Chronicles vibe???

YAAAAAAAS.

I can't wait for the second book.
Sha
omg im in love. in love. best book of the year?? I THINK.

full review to come MARCH 14

Disclaimer: I received this ARC courtesy of Simon Pulse through NetGalley. I am grateful for the opportunity to review an ARC for my readers, but this will not influence my final rating. All opinions expressed in this review are my own and based solely on the book.
Christy
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sky Without Stars is everything you ever wanted in a space drama (and/or Les Mis retelling) AND MORE. I can’t believe how quickly this book went by and how much I was begging for book 2 at the end (Jess and Jo - are you listening? Feel free to download it directly in my brain. Thx).

Let me give you three reasons why you’ll love Sky Without Stars:

1. Chatine
2. Marcellus
3. Alouette

That’s it! There you have it. Happy reading.

Ok but no seriously - there are a million reasons to love this book but I’l
Tucker
Dec 04, 2018 marked it as not-released-tbr
I'm sorry. 2019, did I say you could have all the best books?!
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2019/04/21/...

These days, more and more YA authors are turning to popular and beloved stories to create their own worlds or to put their own spin on familiar ideas. In fact, it’s become so ubiquitous that it’s no surprise that a significant portion of my YA shelf is made up of retellings. With fairy tales and classic lit being the most common sources of inspiration, I’m at the point where yet another Beauty and the Beast or Shakespearea
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
You can find the full review and all the fancy and/or randomness that accompanies it at It Starts at Midnight .

Confession time! I have never read/seen/consumed Les Misérables in any capacity. I don't intend to, either. Though it sounds mildly interesting, classics aren't really my jam, plus the thing is like, 1500 pages and just hard pass okay? That said, the premise is kind of appealing? So when I saw that this book was going to be an iteration on different freaking planets, obviously sign me u
Nicole N. (A Myriad of Books)
Actual rating: 2.5 stars

Oh, where do I begin with this book? Such promise! Les Misérables meets The Lunar Chronicles! Did I read the former? No! Do I plan to? Definitely not. (There’s a musical for that, right?) But did I read the latter? You bet I did and I loved it! So what could go wrong? There’s a 50/50 chance this could be great or horrible.

Thanks to Simon Pulse and NetGalley for providing a free, digital copy in exchange for an honest review.

For the record I read the SparkNotes version of
Lauren Schuyler  (storied.adventures)
Review also on my blog, Storied Adventures

Story/Plot: The premise of the story and plot were A . I mean, a retelling of Les Miserables?! I LOVE that play (I know it's based off of the book, I've just never read it.)! Plus it's a retelling in space!  That's right up my alley! And that's about all I liked of the book.

Writing: I did like the writing. It wasn't anything fancy or my favorite writing ever, but it was good. It was easy to follow along and I never got lost in the story.

Characters: Her
Ally Watkins
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, evan-tbr
Can I give this book 10 stars? I wanna give this book 10 stars.

You have to understand, guys, I’m the H O T T E S T of garbage for Les Miserables, AND the Lunar Chronicles. So a retelling of Les Miserables was pretty much guaranteed to be the best thing ever for me.

This book has 2 amazing female characters. A resourceful, cunning, badass in Chatine, and a curious, competent, bookish cinnamon roll in Alouette. Add to that the smart, sensitive Marcellus, and I’m trash for all these characters. I’
Jaime
Les Mis in Space? HECK YES

Sky Without Stars is an incredible and brilliant science-fiction retelling of Les Misérables. While long, it dives deep into the characters’ psyche and morals and gives hope despite the circumstances. And oh boy, I am ready for the revolution.

Full review can be found here: https://booksandwafflesblog.wordpress...
Katherine Moore
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Les Misérables, the historical classic novel set during the French Revolution and written by Victor Hugo in 1862, may never be seen the same way again after you read this YA sci-fi re-imagining. Sky Without Stars is the first in a series of novels in the System Divine set on the planet Laterre, where the divide between wealthy and poor is massive, and signs of revolution are everywhere.

There is so much to say about this book that it’s hard to know where to start in describing it, especially with
B.A. Wilson
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a YA space Sci-Fi that is a reimagined and futuristic take on Les Miserables. Let’s just appreciate that strange meshing of worlds for a moment.

Overall, I enjoyed this novel, including the multiple POVs and the fascinating world/universe. Occasionally, it felt a big sluggish, and I think in this instance, the story would be better if it was tighter and the pacing faster. Probably the 3 POVs ended up slowing the story down, though I found them quite interesting and necessary to showing t

• The Pioneer (The Pioneer, #1)
  • A Court of Miracles (A Court of Miracles, #1)
  • The Magnolia Sword: A Ballad of Mulan
  • The Kingdom
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • Immunity (Contagion, #2)
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • The Half King (Untitled #1)
  • Castle of Lies
  • Incendiary
  • Seven Devils (Seven Devils, #1)
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • The Light at the Bottom of the World
  • Malice
  • Eight Will Fall
  • Chilling Effect (Untitled, #1)
  • The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #1)
Jessica Brody knew from a young age that she wanted to be a writer. She started self “publishing” her own books when she was seven years old, binding the pages together with cardboard, wallpaper samples, and electrical tape.

After graduating from Smith College in 2001 where she double majored in Economics and French and minored in Japanese, Jessica later went on to work for MGM Studios as a Manager

System Divine (2 books)
  • Between Burning Worlds (System Divine #2)