Start by marking “JLA/Avengers” as Want to Read:
JLA/Avengers

JLA/Avengers

(JLA/Avengers #1-4)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  3,620 ratings  ·  107 reviews
The most powerful characters in two universes collide as DC's premier super-heroes meet Marvel's. Collected in a gorgeous two-volume oversized slipcased hardcover is perhaps the most eagerly anticipated and memorable crossover of all time, as the Justice League of America unites with The Avengers. Superman, Batman, and the other members of the JLA join forces with Captain ...more
Published November 18th 2008 by DC Comics (first published January 1st 2004)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of JLA/Avengers
Alejandro
The mightiest heroes of TWO earths, come together!

I got this in its single comic book issues, but I chosen this TPB edition to make a better overall review.

This TPB edition collects “JLA / Avengers” #1-4.

Creative Team:

Writer: Kurt Busiek

Illustrator: George Perez

THE TWO MOST POWERFUL SUPER-HERO TEAMS MEET!

Our good (well, not so good really!) ol’ pal Krona who was the cabalistic elemento detonating the Crisis on Infinite Earths…

…found a new Earth…

…the one of Marvel Universe!

But never fear,
Bookwraiths
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths by my son Connor.

JLA/Avengers is an old superhero team-up story by Kurt Busiek and George Perez. My dad says both of these guys use to be big deals, so I decided to read this one and see how good it was. And weird as it is to say this was a good comic story where good guys work through their problems to find a way to defeat the bad guys, and it was actually FUN!

Universes are dying. An unknown entity destroying everything, then moving on. And finally this force
Jonathan Terrington

I would like to write a brief epitaph in honour of the opportunity for Marvel and DC comics to work together: It was a beautiful relationship while it lasted but it will likely never happen again.

JLA/Avengers is the ultimate comic book fan's dream lineup for a work of fiction. The basic idea is another trippy world's colliding mash up akin to the whole Crisis on Infinite Earths saga that went on at DC years ago. Only this time Kurt Busiek of Astro City Vol. 1: Life in the Big City and Marvels f
Timothy Boyd
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's really rare for me to give a comic a 5 star and even rarer for it to get placed on my favorites shelf. This mini series knocked the ball out of the park! Just the amazing Geoge Perez art that made each page a wonder to behold would have gotten the 5 star rating but then there is the writing. Fantastic plot that somehow the writer managed to include EVERY hero that has EVER been an Avenger or JSA member. They just cover the pages during the final fight. This is one of the best. if you a re a ...more
Rob McMonigal
Nov 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finally sat down last night and read my copy of JLA-Avengers, which I've been saving for just the right moment, because I knew it was going to be good.

I didn't realize just *how* good. If you are anything of a Marvel or DC fan, you really need to get ahold of this and devour it.

Perez is always solid, but his details and characters are really amazing here. There were people *I* didn't know, and I consider myself to be close to expert level when it comes to Marvel and just a shade under that for
Craig
Aug 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
This isn't a great piece of sequential-art-literature, but it was a whole lot of fun. The story itself isn't anything unique (quest to assemble a dozen magical artifacts, lots of fighting, reality-shifts due to near-divine intervention, other such McGuffins that we've seen over and over again), but it's quite slickly written, with many little bits and pieces and throwaways tossed in to reward the fans for being fans. Marvel-DC is the ultimate comics team-up, the one that all casual as well as ha ...more
Nancy
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This review can also be found on my blog: https://graphicnovelty2.com/2017/06/2...

When Universes Collide!

The DC and Marvel Heroes go head to head when their two realities combine, putting both their universes in danger. Kurt Busiek writes and George Pérez illustrates this fun crossover tale in which all your favorites have to work together to save the cosmos!

Evil super scientist Krona (from the DC universe) is desperate to understand how it all began- what came before the Big Bang? In his millen
Mike (the Paladin)
Fun read, great art lots of (please forgive me for this) "slam bang action" (I know but, you know it's traditional). I've mentioned (so many times that if you've read my other "graphic novel" reviews you're probably sick of hearing about it) that I read an collected Silver Era Comics. My books of choice, my favorite collections were Captain America and The Avengers.

Yes I was a Marvel fan, and inhabitant of the Marvel Universe, I was even a member of the M.M.M.S. (and if you're a comic book[okay,
Randy
Jan 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
I bought this book solely on the graphic eye candy of one panel. The panel was Superman holding Captain America's shield in one hand, and Thor's Hammer in another. I was not disappointed. Busiek makes me wish we went to high school together.
Chris
Everybody loves a good team-up. No matter who your favorite hero is, whether in the realm of sports, music, science, writing, art - you get a secret thrill from the idea of what they could achieve if they worked together. Sometimes it's brilliant, like when Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett teamed up to do Good Omens. Sometimes it's inspiring, like the pop music wonder that was "We Are the World." Sometimes it's overwhelming, like the 1992 Olympic basketball Dream Team. Sometimes it's Damn Yankees ...more
Matt Smith
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2015, comics
Alright. Full disclosure: this has the potential to go full curmudgeon. Warnings abound.

I fell off comics a couple years ago. At the height of my reading (mid college) I was reading about 10-12 issues a week. It killed my wallet and when I needed to trim back I realized how many books I was reading out of mild interest or obligation. First falling into comics is an experience of discovery and excitement. Few things crackle like the discovery of this deep mythology and people playing in it nonsto
Eldon Farrell
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Given that this is likely to be the last DC / Marvel crossover ever I wanted to rate it higher. Ultimately I couldn't though... the story just wasn't there. Plenty of fanboy eye candy in the artwork though!
Aggelos
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine how hard was for this comic to be made. Kurt Busiek is a hero! He had to make all sides look good, make sure the scales are balanced, he probably had two editorial teams and corporate executives breathing down his neck, and he still delivered one of the best pieces of fan-fiction I have seen. I am always impressed by his super-hero knowledge too.
George Perez' art was a treat to the eyes too. I can't even imagine the hours this comic must have taken.
F.C. Schaefer
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Maybe comic book crossovers are not the best idea, but they are inevitable, if for no other reason than the fans demand them. And going back to the ‘60s, DC and Marvel comic partisans have speculated over who’s universe of super heroes are the best, or the most powerful, and who would prevail in a head to head match up? For a long time it seemed as if this debate would be have to be fought over stacks of comics in basements and bedrooms, or in front of the racks at comic shops. But over time, th ...more
Jim C
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of probably a once in a lifetime event. The Marvel universe meets the DC universe. What else could any comic book enthusiast ask for?

In this one we have Krona who seeks knowledge about the births of universes and in the process ends up destroying them. He comes to our little universe and ends up crossing the DC universe with Marvel's universe.

The story itself probably wasn't the strongest but one can get past that without any problems. I believe part of the problem that ther
Nick
Sep 22, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
It's hard to fathom the difficult task of writing a JLA/Avengers tale. What massive, otherwordly force could a writer come up with that would prove to dispell both DC and Marvel's greatest heroes? But, if said writer is willing to tackle the endeavor, he/she can't expect anything but high expectations. That's why JLA/Avengers is ultimately such a disappointment. Envisioned in the hands of a writer like Geoff Johns, this property could have been one of the greatest stories ever told. Instead, wha ...more
Mark
Mar 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a longtime fan of George Perez's work, esp. on books with LOTS of superheroes. (I really don't think Crisis on Infinite Earths would have worked without George's clear & evocative design.) And it's no secret that I'm coming to believe that Kurt Busiek is the best writer in comics today.

So when the two of them "cross the streams" of DC's Justice League & Marvel's The Avengers, my expectations were pretty high. And, for the most part, they met them.

Though the standard crossover plot (superher
Terry
May 12, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I like most about JLA/Avengers is that it shows the differences between the DC and Marvel Universes free from rampant fanboyism which directs most conversations on the matter.

The two universes have collided many times since the 1970s, usually in one-shot deals where two heroes fight each other before uniting against a team of supervillains. But those have always felt like the mildest form of fan service.

DC versus Marvel Comics took the concept a bit further, but JLA/Avengers is less concer
Dave Brown
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the past 20 years, there have been two major crossovers between DC and Marvel: DC vs. Marvel and JLA/Avengers. The DC vs. Marvel crossover came out in the mid-1990s and was an absolute product of its time. And while it was fun to read, the story was ridiculously convoluted and something that obviously never took place within the continuity of either company. The idea for the JLA/Avengers crossover started back in 1979 but due to a slew of issues, the series didn't come out until 2003-2004. Un ...more
Sophie
Jun 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I was on the fence as to whether to read this or not - that is, until I realized who'd written and who'd drawn it. I've yet to read something by Kurt Busiek I don't like, and George Pérez is probably the only possible choice for a book like this.

The JLA and the Avengers first face off against each other and then fight together, and it's just - well, really, really cool. Even despite the immense scope of this story and the hugeness of the cast there are still many small but great character moment
Alexander
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last Marvel/DC crossover (at least for a while) brings together the two great teams featuring each universe's greatest heroes. Wonderful story, great art, does a nice job of highlighting the differences between the two different approaches to portraying superheroes. Recommended, especially for comic book fans.
Chris Lemmerman
Yes, it's a little dated, yes, there are a lot of text boxes and yes, the plot is a little over-wrought, but in order to bring the heroes of two worlds together in one gloriously drawn and full of epic moments storyline, I'm willing to overlook all of that. This still holds up as a great story, and Marvel and DC couldn't have chosen a better creative team to pull this off.
Tom
Dec 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is basically pure eye candy for superhero fans. Don't expect anything deep or profound about the genre. Just enjoy a team-up crafted by some obvious fans and you'll be fine.
Neil
As I was starting this review, I realized I was going to start with a 'justification' as to why I chose to reread it. "I was bored," "I was in the mood for some light reading," "I wanted to read something and this caught my eye" - all justifications, as if I need to explain why I read something. It's funny; I never noticed that before. Anyway.

- - - -

I enjoyed revisiting this story. I loved it when it first came out; I have always enjoyed reading it since then. I will give it five stars because
Matt
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Collects JLA/Avengers issues #1-4

I have always wanted to read this DC/Marvel crossover, and I finally found time to read it during quarantine.

By the last issue of this collection I realized that I'm unfairly judging this series. I'm not sure that it deserves my 5-star rating, but it is such a spectacle to see all of these Marvel and DC characters together on the page, that it is hard for me to not be supportive. The story is a little messy, but I don't really care. I'm into this book.

SPOILERS:
Amanda
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Pretty much the most epic superhero romp you could ask for. Was it a bit ridiculous at times? Yes, of course. Was I beyond impressed at the ability of the creative team to cram this many heroes into one work and actually have them all stand out? Yes! The art is pretty magnificent. Definitely worth reading if you're a fan of the genre. Even as someone who isn't by any means close to expert-level in terms of my knowledge of the respective universes, I enjoyed it a lot.

Don't expect a whole lot of
Brian Rogers
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I want to be clear: this is tripe. It really is. It's a book with no real reason to exist, a minimal story to tell, that can't - by design - have any impact on the characters in it. That being said, it is tripe in a Pho broth of the highest order, with lots of spices, flavors, depth and surprises, gorgeously plated and served with real love from people who have been working for decades to perfect and serve you this bowl of tripe. That counts for something.

The real shining parts of the story are
Sabbir Taher
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well Well Well,Justice League and Avengers met in a cross-over in what may be the most desired wet dream of any comic lover.

The basis-an universe shattering force is at work(in this case Krona)and the Marvel Elder Grand-master forced Krona to play a game between the Greatest Heroes of each Comic Verse.The Twist-Avengers for Krona and JL for Grand-master. If JL wins Marvel Universe will be spared by Krona.The rule-which team gathers 7 artifacts out 0f 12 artifacts,comprising 6 from Marvel and 6 f
Joshua Adam Bain
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It goes from moments that are 4 star, to moments that re more like 3, but I'll settle on 4/5 ⭐

Taking these two universes and putting them into one story is a mean feat. The pressure of knowing there are so many fan demands on a crossover like this. So I can say I enjoyed this. There are so many interactions that had to be made like Green Arrow and Hawkeye, Antman and Atom, Superman and Captain America, Batman and Black Panther. It's all great and almost takes on an ironic twist of how so many of
Judah Radd
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
As far as these kinds of crossovers go, this was really good. It was way better than “Marvel vs DC” that happened a while before. There were many awesome moments, some great character dynamics, outstanding battles, stunning art, and most of all... a coherent plot!

Is this an amazing comic book? No... but it’s fun as hell. It’s a treat for fans of DC and Marvel. It also capitalizes on what makes each of those great publishers special. For example, while the heroes of DC may be more powerful, the
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• JLA/JSA: Virtue and Vice
  • Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman: Trinity
  • JLA: Year One
  • The Kingdom
Kurt Busiek is an American comic book writer notable for his work on the Marvels limited series, his own title Astro City, and his four-year run on Avengers.

Busiek did not read comics as a youngster, as his parents disapproved of them. He began to read them regularly around the age of 14, when he picked up a copy of Daredevil #120. This was the first part of a continuity-heavy four-part story arc;

JLA/Avengers (4 books)
  • JLA/Avengers #1
  • JLA / Avengers No. 2 (Edisi Indonesia)
  • JLA/Avengers #3
  • JLA / Avengers No. 4 (Edisi Indonesia)

News & Interviews