Start by marking “The Boy from Pataliputra” as Want to Read:
The Boy from Pataliputra

The Boy from Pataliputra

It is 326 BC and Alexander, the barbarian king of Macedonia, has descended upon Bharatvarsha with a multi-national horde of Yavanas, Pahlavas, Shakas and Bahlikas.
As the invader advances relentlessly and wins bloody battles in quick succession, as local rulers fall over each other to shake hands with the enemy and as the students of Takshashila University break into open r
Paperback, 01, 384 pages
Published March 15th 2017 by Fingerprint! Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Boy from Pataliputra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy from Pataliputra

Vishnu Chevli
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
You can take one of the heroes from history or mythology and recreate their journey as your story. But creating a completely new character in parallel to a historic hero and taking your reader to this new character's journey with equal enthusiasm is a challenging task. Rahul Mitra in his book "The Boy From Patliputra" has done a wonderful job by creating the story of Aditya in the timeline of Chanakya and Chandragupta Maurya.

Aditya, the main protagonist of the story, is our boy from Patliputra.
Archit Ojha
An inspiring tale.

Alexander the great is on a mission to conquer the world. India, a Golden Bird, the land of festivals and diversity is his latest target and he will stop by nothing.

On the other hand, Aditya, a normal boy, spoilt as a teenager, never cared about his future, playing and roaming with his friends will have an unbelievable destiny. His brother is convicted with corruption charges and Aditya is forced to leave Magadha. What happens with him next is absorbing to watch.

The Boy from P
Surabhi Sharma
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is well-written, entertaining, captivating and an excellent read for the historical fantasy readers. What could be better than sitting in comfort of your room and travel centuries ago? Well, this book will take you to time travel in 4th century BC.

The story set in the backdrop of 330BC. Alexander is on a mission to invade every kingdom and win over the world and become the mighty ruler of the whole world, a world conqueror. After invading and looting Persia, now Alexander is eyeing on India.
Parvathy
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's the 4th century BC, Alexander is prowling around the boundaries of an India that is not a country yet, and a boy comes of age in the city of Takshashila. It's a racy romp through possibly one of the most exciting periods of Indian history - the starting point of the Maurya dynasty, and the concept of a unified Bharat. Mitra has a gift for bringing the times alive, the way your story-telling grandmother did. And en route, he manages to reflect contemporary times in the story he tells - unive ...more
Kaustubh Dudhane
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
I would like to thank the author and the publishers for the copy in exchange of an honest review.

"The courageous man is not the one who sinks into gloom and depression over his troubles, but the man who takes up arms and strives against it."

Wow! The cover is beautiful but the content inside it is not so much.

As I had started the book, I was transported back to my sixth standard history class. The description of the world during 330 BC to 326 BC is good. The way author had explained the nitty-
Pankaj Goyal
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fiction based on historical events/personalities is one of those genres which are gradually getting popular among Indian readers. As a result, Indian bookshelves are gradually getting filled by such books. Indian readers are enjoying these books. I am also one of those readers who love reading historical fiction. For me, historical fiction can be an amazing foundation for reading history or learning about historical events. Therefore, I became really happy when I got an opportunity to read and r ...more
Sheetal Maurya - Godse (Halo of Books)
Check out the full book review here The Boy from Pataliputra by Rahul Mitra - Book review

At first, I would like to thanks the author for providing me a copy of this book. Alexander’s invasion in India and his battles with various Kings is always an interesting part of reading in history. But when a great fiction merged with a history then we get to see the incident in different perspective. And this is what the author has done in this book.

Plot summary:

The story starts in Pataliputra, Capital of
Kalyan Panja
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
It is impossible to tell a story without a point of view. This book retraces the revolt of students from Takshashila University, especially Aditya and his inner struggles along with the vision of a man who is still suspended between myth, legend and reality: Alexander. From the purely historical point of view the facts are very simple and familiar to anyone.

The characters that revolve around Aditya's life are interesting and thanks to these characterizations the messages come strong and clear wh
Sahil Pradhan
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
all the people of India ( except illiterates ) would have known the tale of porus and the battle of hydapes.
the book focuses on the same storyline except that it is tale of two brothers..........one who is murdered in a false accuse, living as commoners in the bygone era of porus. the story is a critical and detailed retelling of the legend of puru and Chanakya in the point of view of a commoner. this aspect of the book truly impressed me a lot.
the book if considered is awesome, the plot is fab
Madhulika Liddle
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it
In the history of the ancient world—and not just the history of India—the Battle of the Hydaspes in 326 BC, between the armies of the Macedonian ruler Alexander and King Puru (‘Porus’) is an important event. Important not just because of its political ramifications, but because it was to have an influence on the culture and society of that part of India for years after. It was to build Puru up as an icon of Indian nationalism centuries later, and it was to possibly result in the injury that even ...more
Shashank Sinha
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nice book. A good historical fiction, well researched, well written.
Astha Vyas
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway-win
"It came as a Goodreads Giveaway win"
When you start reading a book, you expect it to hold you tight through the roller coaster of events that are going to develop in later pages. You expect it to compel your imagination and make you believe every alphabet engraved.
Rahul Mitra, the author of the book has made an awe inspiring amalgamation of history and fiction. A story that starts with giving a backdrop of Alexander’s conquest, moves on to something that seems like a story of revenge. It slowly
Divya Mahajan
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
A gripping book with a racy narrative. The story of transformation of a brat to a revenge seeker to a responsible adult and finally a nationalist hooks you. The turbulent times are aptly described and you get the feeling this story is part of the history of those times interwoven with real events. A must read.
A good book from a debut writer. Would look forward to more of his works
Rajeev
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nice book, a refreshing change Transporting you to the Alexander army and the building of the idea of BHARATVARSH.

Awesome dialogues between Digvijaya & Ambhi from pg 264 to 271. This could be the India of today.
Ashique Majeed
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wonderful. It's way better than what I had expected. A well written historical fiction.

The story revolves around Aditya, 'the boy from Pataliputra', who was forcefully sent away to Takshashila after the execution of his beloved brother Ajeet. His life wasn't easy as before. The life in Takshashila was transforming him into a new man.
By the end of the book, we see the battle of Hydaspes, which was between Alexander and King Puru. Adita and his friends from Takshashila were part of King Puru's arm
Sanjay Gopinath
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pataliputra is a familiar name for people – at least in my generation and earlier – well of course, if you attended your History classes dutifully. So, when you read the title ‘The Boy from Pataliputra’ you have a few usual suspects that come to your mind. But as you speed through the pages, you find out that you are in for a surprise. I find this has given the book and story a different perspective.
The Boy from Pataliputra written by Rahul Mitra and published by FingerPrint fictionalizes the h
Khyati
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I received a copy of the book in exchange of my honest review, and I am glad I did!
The boy from Pataliputra by Rahul Mitra is a nice historical fiction, which takes you to ride through 400 BC.
The very well known episode of Indian history, The attack of Alexander the great, is taken as the base here. However, we follow an 16 years old ordinary boy from Pataliputra, Aditya. This is a story of his life, his relationships, his emotions and his growth.
All the characters in this book is so well w
Ankitaa
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
People respect wealth and power in this world, my friend, and no one cares for a man with no position and no wealth, no matter how idealistic they may be.

Set against the backdrop of Alexander's invasion of India, The Boy From Pataliputra is the story of Aditya who, under unfavourable circumstances, goes from being a carefree boy to a man having a purpose. A purpose guiding him to hustle.
The book is divided into two parts; The first part is all about his elder brother Ajeet, their relationship,
ShikhaReadster
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
You can also read the full review on my blog.

The first thing that hits you when you read this book is how much research the author has done to represent the historical background accurately. In the front of the book, three maps are included to give a broad understanding of ancient India. Also thorough notes at the end of the book are very helpful for readers like me who are not well versed with Indian history. Mr. Mitra has used many ancient words in the story which was a little confusing for m
Readers Cosmos
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
In essence the book is an interesting read and flips through the pages of history in a convincing way. It virtually plays out well and by the end leaves its readers almost daring to wonder how the course will occupy an entire saga after this for Aditya. The writing and narratives are strong compelling its readers to stay hooked till you reach the last page. I would also like to appreciate the author for going through the meticulous research and introducing and knitting his characters so well int ...more
Navnit
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
good but I thought the ending was not what I expected...
Hemantkumar Jain
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Expect a good novel and story-telling but don't go expecting the usual association of Pataliputra - Chanakya and Chandragupta. This isn't their story.

It is indeed a story of a Boy from Patliputra and his life. The possibility of a sequel is there and it would be interesting to see how the story shapes up in the sequel.

The climax of the book was a bit anti-climactic and you are left with a feeling which is not easy to describe.
Vikash Sharma
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have just started reading this book today, and I am really very impressed with the narration and research that has been done for this book. The writer deserves accolades for this honest piece of work. All the mythology and fiction fans will rejoice this great piece of writing. Splendid so far. I will update my detailed review after reading the entire book.
Quite engaging read. Good job.

My rating so far is 4.5
Jiten Upadhyay
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Detailed review at: http://thinkerviews.com/books/english...

When we hear about PataliPutra, Magadha and ancient times, we mostly think about the tales of Chanakya and Chandragupta and eventually Samrat Ashoka. And when added reference of Alexander (aka Alaxendra or Sikandar), we apply the “theory of deduction“ and comes to the conclusion that it is about Chanakya and Chandragupta only.

The title of this book, thus will make you to imagine that.

However, the story explored in this book is quite dif
Chitra Iyer
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it

The Boy From Pataliputra by Rahul Mitra is a book set in the 4th century BC. It is about the journey of one boy, from Pataliputra, and his personal transformation through new experiences and affiliations that he comes across. The story is adventurous and straight, and at many places thought provoking.

The book begins with the introduction of two brothers, Ajeet and Aditya. Being the elder of the duo, Ajeet is the responsible one, pushing the care free Aditya to steady up and make something out of
Anagha  TK
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
For full review and discussion, check out the link below.

An amazing read that will transport you back to ancient India, in 400 BC. A gripping story, with each page which makes it even more difficult to stop reading. Looking forward to more by this author.

Reading this book was like taking a journey back in time. I was amazed by the author’s ability to seamlessly transport the readers to the ecosystem of the story-line. Set in the 400 BC, this story deals wi
Rajat TWIT
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A thoroughly researched book with a fluid language, A boy from Pataliputra tells the story of Aditya and the wild transformation he has from a careless teen to a responsible youth. What makes the story unique is that it is set in the times of Alexander's Indian invasion and the era of the intellect of Chanakya. Indian readers will always be indebted to Rahul Mitra for this interesting concept and a refreshing genre of Historical fiction which was either missing or not highlighted till date in In ...more
Kousthuban
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it
actually there is a saying don't judge the book by its cover but when it comes to publishing a book the publisher, writer has to do lot of thinking to give a first and best impression to the book by designing the cover very well in that rahul mitra and his publisher has done a great job giving a an apt cover and a better binding.
so coming to the content of the book i read lot books of different genre each genre has different hurdles collecting facts, proofs, and a plot to connect those, on that
Shilpi Chaklanobis
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Historical and mythological fictions are my favourite genres. I had read a book named “The Prince of Pataliputra” which was a fiction woven around Samrat Ashok and was a great read. When I got hold of this book, I was expecting a similar experience and am glad to say that the book did not disappoint me. Initially I was under the impression that the book will be something about the great rulers of Pataliputra. But “The Boy from Pataliputra” is written around an entirely fictional character named ...more
Vidhya Thakkar
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book is lil slow but worth a read if you love History. The plot created by the author is clean, narrative and interesting. How mature a person becomes when life challenges them and many things are well described by the author. Description of Characters to great Ruler Alexander waiting to invade Bharatvarsha. From the college life fun to love of his life. everything is written in simple and detailed manner. Use of words like Shreeman, Acharya, Chandals and many more gave historic feeling. It ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Currently living in Mumbai, Rahul is an author masquerading as an IT Marketing Professional. When not toiling away at his writing, Rahul likes to visit his office to take print-outs, socialize and drink endless cups of free coffee. Passionately interested in all things Indian, Rahul is vociferous in his opinions about India, its people and it’s culture. Like many other fools before him, he believe ...more