Start by marking “The Manningtree Account” as Want to Read:
The Manningtree Account

The Manningtree Account

1646 – A time of English Civil War, when life is cheap, death common and superstition consumes the hearts of God-fearing folk. The life of a healer is precarious, dwelling in the shadows of normal society. Ostracised, their time running out as the self-appointed Witchfinder General scours the countryside for the Devil’s whores...

2016 – One dark night, one sleepy town, one
Published March 15th 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Manningtree Account, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Manningtree Account

Start your review of The Manningtree Account
Becky Wright
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
The Manningtree Account is a dark supernatural tale.

My native East Anglia is ripe with true accounts, myths and legends of the strange, paranormal and the supernatural. It was these stories that thrilled as a child, tingling my spine, feeding my slightly macabre nature.

Being born in Essex and raised in Suffolk, the history of the infamous Witchfinder General has always intrigued me. The Manningtree Account is in no way a factual report of one of his actual witch trials, but the spirit of the
Caroline Noe
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I tried reading this late at night. What a mistake. The creeping sense of dread and evil was so palpable that the slightest creak in the house made me jump. Cleverly written to place the reader right in the mind of the protagonist and simultaneously disorientate. The bookends of differing point of view adds to the sense of unfolding curse. Frightening and disturbing in equal measure. Be warned...
Beverley Lee
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well, I don't normally read novellas but this is the second one in a matter of weeks and I'm beginning to see what I've been missing. Although I still prefer the word count of a book, these 'little books' are sharp, fast paced and perfect for reading in one sitting.

The Manningtree Account is based on the real life events of the infamous Witchfinder General, Matthew Hopkins, and, as such, this gives the tale an immediate air of credibility. The author skillfully weaves the past and the present,
Sarina Langer
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You may have guessed from every other review I've ever written, but I don't do horror or thrillers. I'm an incredible wimp where this genre is concerned, so I normally stay far away from it. However, I wanted to make an exception for The Manningtree Account. One of my goals for this year was to read more books out of my usual genre, so I figured why not jump in at the deep end?

I'm happy to say this didn't scare me witless (huzzah!). The Manningtree Account isn't so much outright horrifying as it
Villimey
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've never read a novella before but I'm glad that Becky Wright's The Manningtree Account was my first.

It was chilling right from the start, telling of a mother and a daughter who are caught and burned, accused of being witches, in Manningtree 1646. The way Becky wrote the scenes was hauntingly beautiful and I couldn't help feeling righteous anger after their deaths. Too many women were accused of being witches during that time and died at the hands of the Witchhunter General, Matthew Hopkins.

K.J. Chapman
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I rate this book 4.5/5.

I'm glad I picked this novella as my Halloween read. I was equally creeped out and intrigued by this ghost story that draws on the historical facts of the witch burnings. Knowing the truth of Matthew Hopkins - the Witchfinder General - makes this tale all the more chilling.

The flitting between past and present is well written, and the suspense built in intensity over the course of the novella. That ending was something of a curve ball that had me thinking a little more
Julia Blake
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Manningtree Account is a rather dark and sinister tale that will creep into your mind and play nasty little tricks with your imagination. Beginning with the factual witch trials of the infamous Witchfinder General, Matthew Hopkins, it skillfully weaves truth and fiction together to create a paranormal tale of revenge from beyond the grave and evil deeds that refuse to stay buried.

Beginning in the 17th century with the back story of three generations of "cunning" women, the local village
Renee
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As chilling as the Conjuring

I quite enjoyed this book, I would have loved it to be longer because I just wanted to know more about the characters. I was hooked from the very start & found it hard to put down. It was a well written narrative with gripping, sad, chilling and intriguing characters. The author weaves a wonderful spell of trajedy and Supernatural thrills. I liked how past and future events flowed into one another. And the thrilling twist at the end was especially delicious. I'd
Ruth Miranda
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a great read! This novella just comes to prove one can never say never. Usually I do not like to read anything written in first person POV, but even more than that, I utterly shudder at present tense. It just does not sit well with me. Becky Wright proved me wrong. This is one hell of a ride into the dark side, a gripping read, that had me wanting to go back to it whenever I shut down for the day. It's so very well done, and so very well written I fell straight into the story, and nothing ...more
Sharman Badgett-Young
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
A supernatural horror story

This terrifying ghost story was set within the historical backdrop of witch burnings. Suspense made the story difficult to put down! With a good editing, especially of the old and therefore less familiar English, this story would be a true gripper for lovers of spirits and evil forces.
Allyson Grove
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wright's writing is poetic and dark. From the first pages I was drawn in trapped as the story unfolded. This novella was wonderfully written and left me craving more. In the dark, quiet night it will make you doubt you are alone.
Faith Rivens
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-of-2017
Well that was wonderfully dark and creepy and haunting!

A fast-paced story. A page turner. An absolutely spellbinding narrative that I could not put down. This novella might be little but the impact is great!

It's hard to say much without spoiling it and I feel as though it's best to go in knowing as little as possible so that each twist and turn hits as it should.

What I will say is this: Becky Wright does a masterful job of crafting a sinister atmosphere, her prose is mesmerizing and her
Lillian
It was spooky, creepy, and the ending was totally unexpected! I loved the story and the writing was great! Becky Wright has a knack for twist endings, and I can't wait to read the next one!
Kay-Cherish Kipling
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't normally read novellas but I adored this one! Gripped from page 1 and I couldn't put it down! Very original and full of suspense, lots of twists that I did not see coming! Loved it, definitely worth a read!
A. Hunt
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Becky Wright is a fab author; let me say that first. This is my second read and she keeps me filled with the urger to turn a page, instead of setting the read aside. The exact effect happened while reading The Manningtree Account.

The haunting tale is filled with historical facts on witch trials and the sinister General Matthew Hopkins. Set in various times, the heart of the story roots from 1646's English Civil War, and a woman accused. The child, the story's lifeline, makes the book deep and
Lee Howard
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ghosts, historical, horror
I enjoyed The Manningtree Account. It weaves a tale from the 1640s about women accused of being witches with a present-day account of a paranormal investigation. Recommended for readers of historical fiction as well as the paranormal. I dropped a star because the book needs editing.
Anissa Papadakos
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh my god is what i have to say
this book is brilliant
Just brilliant
If you like supernatural thrillers without the romance this book is for you
The author did an amazing job
When i finished it, i was so sad. I just wanted more.
11/10
Adriana
Feb 06, 2018
Ellen Read
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Manningtree Account is loosely based on the historic witch trials of the infamous Witchfinder General, Matthew Hopkins. This gives an authentic air to this dark tale that starts in the 17th Century with three generations of ‘cunning’ women, the term given to the innocuous job of village healers.

Darkness approaches them and will not be denied.

The story then jumps to the present where two paranormal investigators go to a house on what seems to be a run of the mill case. They soon discover
Mitzi-Eloise Newall
mr j greenhaff
Jul 31, 2017
Karen
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was gripped from the start, not my usual sort of read but the cover pic enticed me in to give it a try. Thinking I was going to be scared witless I only dare read it during the day.... I needn't have worried. It is beautifully written and a brilliant storyline I couldn't put it down. It was dark and a little bit scary and my over active imagination loved it. As for the end I certainly didn't see that coming. I will look forward to seeing more of this authors books.
Misty
May 05, 2017
Dana Fraedrich
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book. It's sooooooooo creepy and well written and chilling. Highly enjoyable! If you're easily freaked out or do believe in ghosts, though, maybe read it with the lights on or outside on a sunny day.
The full review can be found here: http://www.wordsbydana.com/news/2017/...
Shona Kinsella
Rhonda Stefani
Dec 30, 2017
Kat
Jan 09, 2018

• A Shining in the Shadows (Gabriel Davenport #2)
  • Lifesong
  • The Book of Eve
  • Out of the Shadows (Broken Gears #1)
  • Crescent Moon (Phoebe Harkness, #2)
  • Becoming Lili
  • The Making of Gabriel Davenport (Gabriel Davenport #1)
  • Erinsmore
  • Isle of Winds (The Changeling, #1)
  • Wardens of Archos (The Relics of Ar'Zac, #2)
Becky Wright is an author with a passion for Gothic literature, history, the supernatural and things that go bump in the night. As a child nothing tantalised her senses as much a good ghost story.

Blessed, she lives in the heart of the Suffolk countryside, surrounded by rolling green fields, picturesque timber-framed villages, country pubs and rural churches – and lots of haunted houses.

She is
“He comes with those in his employ, to watch, gathering evidence and confession. His success speaks of a countryside rife with evil, an intemperate plague of witches . . .” 0 likes
“They come with cold bones in heavy boots. See how they tremble. The folly of man . . .” 0 likes