Start by marking “Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)” as Want to Read:
Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)

Moving Pictures

(Discworld #10)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  64,529 ratings  ·  1,576 reviews
'Holy wood is a different sort of place. People act differently here. Everywhere else the most important things are gods or money or cattle. Here, the most important thing is to be important.'

People might say that reality is a quality that things possess in the same way that they possess weight. Sadly alchemists never really held with such a quaint notion. They think that
Published April 1st 2005 by Corgi (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Moving Pictures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moving Pictures

·  64,529 ratings  ·  1,576 reviews

Start your review of Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)
Mario the lone bookwolf
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pratchett-terry
Welcome to the fabulous dream factory, the best place on earth, oh, sorry, wrong promo, I mean Pratchett´s dissection of the superficiality and deception of the mass production of entertainment and media.

Thanks to the alchemists, the Discworld has become so much richer in high quality entertainment fun or the immensely useless waste of human lifetime, depending on the pro or anti movie watching standpoint, I am possibly a bit biased here. Evil movie, go away, don´t force me watching you, I want
Lyn
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it
This most Lovecraftian of Terry Pratchett’s Discworld books (this being number TEN and first published in 1990) and first of the Industrial Revolution books.

Moving Pictures, as a title of course makes me think of Rush’s brilliant 1981 album of the same name (Pratchett even makes droll word play just as in Rush’s cover art).

Like so many of Sir Terry’s Discworld adventures, he liberally sprinkles popular and cultural references throughout and besides the ubiquitous Lovecraft allusions, he also tu
Adrian
Another great Discworld novel, just not quite 5 stars ⭐️.
More tomorrow hopefully.
4.5 ⭐️

So a couple of days have elapsed and I still feel that this is not quite a 5 star read, far enough away to make it a solid 4 stars. It is , as ever with Sir Terry, a fantastic story and a wonderful parody of 20th/21st century life.
This book starts with the death of an old man who was guarding the hill at Holy Wood by the sea. Without his daily chants, strange things start to awaken and attempt to escape from
Bradley
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, 2018-shelf
This is a re-read and I'm upping my rating because, well, let's face it: this is the start of a brand new chapter in the Discworld and it follows the main style that I have grown to love over all the rest of the books. I was slow to love them at first, but as I continued to see Progress raise its great lumbering head above the trash heaps of Ankh-Morpork (from inside the river, of course,) I can't help but get all bubbly inside.

Memorable moments, and there are a lot of them going well beyond thi
Trish
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Can you hear that? It's the sound of a movie reel.
Discworld has it's first foray into the industrial revolution. Here, in form of the last guardian of an old portal dying without anybody being there to take up his tasks. Not long after, some alchemists in Ankh-Morpork develop clicks, moving pictures painted by enslaved little demons. Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler, the sausage dealer, isn't gonna miss out on a chance to get rich so he becomes the first agent/film studio executive. Soon, first people
Ms. Smartarse
The Discworld is constantly evolving, mainly courtesy of Ankh Morpork's guilds of something-or-other. The Alchemists Guild's latest bout of explosion for example, has produced the raw material for moving pictures (i.e. movies). Pretty soon, Ankh-Morpork becomes too cramped for the more "extravagant" movie directors, so cue a surprisingly fast and steady exodus to Holy Wood, a long abandoned dwelling in the desert.

Holy Wood however, is not a normal place, housing some rather sinister things in it
Mike (the Paladin)
Dec 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'm stingy with my 5 star ratings and considered going with a 4 here, but I really enjoyed this read. It is hilarious. From Trolls who don't want to get "type cast" (I played a troll who runs out and hits him with a rock) to a talking wonder dog who can't get noticed because he's too "scruffy" the cliches of the movies get very skewered. Everyone is headed to (the?)"Holy Wood" to be a star. And of course as we all know, moving pictures or, "the clicks" can effect the fabric of reality.

Sir Terry
Megan Baxter
Jun 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I wasn't under the weather this time, and again, I enjoyed, but didn't love it! Maybe I should just save the Terry Pratchetts for times when I'm sick. It's a weird quirk. Or maybe it's just that I love the Watch books, but haven't fallen for the rest of the universe quite so hard.

In the meantime, you can read the entire review at Smorgasbook
Ivan
May 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I love Pratchett and the Discworld but there are few DW books I didn't enjoy as much. Don't get me wrong this is funny book but nothing more than that and I come to expect lot more from Discworld. Simply there there is no that brilliance, sharp wit and excellent quotable dialogues that best of the books in the series seem to have in abundance.
Toby
May 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is Holy Wood. To pass the time quickly, you just film the clock hands moving fast... but when it's being written by Terry Pratchett why would you want to?

Moving Pictures, Pratchett's Discworld parody of Hollywood, appeals to me a great deal purely as a cinephile and wannabe film maker but as it's Pratchett it's also brilliant and brilliantly funny filled with wicked caricatures and wonderful characters, and of course evil puns aplenty.

In this must-read episode you get to know more about the
YouKneeK
Jun 28, 2016 rated it liked it
This is my least favorite Discworld book so far. I think this is mainly because I didn’t find the story appealing at all. The characters were ok, and I really liked Gaspode the talking dog, but I was bored by the story.

At the beginning of the book, an old man living alone in a remote area called Holy Wood dies. After his death, strange things start happening and some alchemists develop the concept of “moving pictures” which become hugely popular. People travel en masse to Holy Wood (I trust you
Melki
Dec 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who'd want to spend their time moving pictures? Most of them looked alright where they were.

A shady sausage vendor and a student of wizardry head to Holy Wood for fame and fortune in the early days of the Discworld film industry. Hey, kids! Let's put on a show! Sounds like wholesome family entertainment, does it not?

Well...since this sprang from the mind of Terry Pratchett, expect chaos and devastation, licentious landladies, mass hysteria, dogs and cats sharing conversations...

S-o-o-o-o...in a
Lindsay
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Part of the Pratchett reread with the SpecFic Buddy Reads group. This is my second time reading this book, with my first when it first came out. I didn't particularly like it much back then and I didn't realize at the time how many ongoing Discworld characters were introduced here.

In an area near the city of Ankh-Morpork the last follower of an ancient religion dies without passing on his knowledge.

In Ankh-Morpork itself a group of alchemists discover the secret of a nearly-not-explosive new tec
J.G. Keely
I have a lot of friends who swear by Pratchett, but I found him rather dull. I tried reading the first book in the series, but I couldn't finish it. A friend suggested this as one of his better outings, so I bit.

He seems to harp on the most obvious jokes, extending one-note gags into paragraphs, chapters, or even whole books. I found that out of every ten jokes, one would make me laugh and nine would make me groan and roll my eyes. Really not a good rate of return.

His world-building is passable,
Matt
Feb 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I reluctantly rate this first Discworld novel I read 3 stars. I figure there are others in this long series that are better, and probably some are worse. I just have no base for comparison, and I may raise the rating later.

I also can't judge the characters and plot with regards to the other books. Is Cut-me-own-Throat Dibbler a major character in the series? Will I read about Victor and Ginger again? Are the wizards of the Unseen University always the same? (I suppose they are, but I cannot tell
Linda
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This is going onto my pile of favorite Discworld books.

I just loved all the movie references, the typical Pratchett humor had me laughing throughout, and Gaspode the Wonder Dog is now one of my favorite characters. Most of the main characters were new, but there were plenty of other characters we met previously that made numerous appearances - The Librarian, trolls, wizards, our friends from The Watch. The ending played tug-of-war with my heart strings, but that just made it all that more excit
Nicole
Mar 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: satire, fantasy-adult
Paul Sánchez Keighley
This seems like a good book to point out how cinematographic Pratchett’s writing is. I always thought he writes the way movies look, so this book felt like a tailor-made fit for his style.

I see lots of reviewers saying it’s one of the weakest Discworld novels, but I had a blast. It's tightly plotted, introduces several memorable characters, and has a brisk pace. Not even all the obvious movie references rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe it’s because living in the age of references, nostalgia and fa
Nathan
Part 10 of the Complete Discworld Reread

Wow, what a slog. When I started this reread I was wondering how a couple of those I had ignored would read a second time around, with “Moving Pictures” being my biggest fear. On this occasion my memory was correct, this may be the weakest Pratchett book until the football one released a few years back.

Now don’t get me wrong, even a bad Pratchett book is worth reading, and this wasn’t a complete waste of time. As per the usual, some of the humor hits hard
Rob
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Executive Summary: After being pretty s0-so on Eric, I really enjoyed this one a lot. It's right up there with Guards! Guards! I'd say.

Full Review
It's been awhile since my last Discworld read. A lot longer than I had realized. I had been planning to read a book every other month or so. I'm stubbornly determined to read the books in publication order, and I'm finding some of these early books uneven.

That's not the case with this book. I really enjoyed it a lot. It might be that I'm huge movie
Celise
“The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues.”

Holy Wood. The alchemists on the Discworld discover the magic of motion pictures! This novel parodies the creation of film, and the developments it went through in the first thirty or so years of its existence. Gone With the Wind fans might find a lot of Easter eggs in
Leslie
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This 10th book (in publication order) of the Discworld series was a lot of fun. As a fan of classic movies, I loved all the little parodies of them that occurred throughout the book. The best one may have been the spoof of King Kong when instead of Fay Wray and the giant ape climbing the Empire State building, Pratchett gives us a giant woman and an orangutan (the Librarian) climbing the Tower of Art!
Gabi
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was better than I remembered it, which was a nice surprise. All due to the secret star, the wonderdog Gaspode.

All in all it's more on the sillyfunny side of Pratchett's early works with some sparks of social critique.
And it is quite an adventure to read this to young boys who don't know any of the Hollywood references referred to within. ^^'
David Sarkies
May 13, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
Discworld goes to Hollywood
21 May 2013

I must admit that this was not one of my favourite of Pratchett's books but I suspect that if I end up reading it again, the score might go up and the review may change, however we are getting to a point where maybe the best of Pratchett's Discword content is behind him and he is exploring other avenues to try and get a laugh. Okay, Pratchett does more than try to get a laugh, and in a way it is sort of like the Simpsons where Pratchett uses a fantasy world
Renée
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
This may not be one of the longest Discword novel, but it certainly felt like it. I am reading the books in chronological publishing order if you’d like to see my previous reviews, so I’m rating them against one another by series instead of sub-collection (Wizards,Witches, Night Watch, etc.).

I’ve talked before about why I find Pratchett at his least readable when he’s trying to do a straight satire. Much funnier (to me, at least) are the little send ups of universally human foibles, like the fu
Audrey
I’m not exactly reading these in order. It’s fine. This is a totally fine book to start with in the world of Discworld. I was sad that Death makes only a tiny appearance in this one.

Alchemists have discovered the technology of moving pictures. If you have seen Twoflower’s camera, you have an idea of how it works. The book pokes fun about all the tropes of Hollywood, such as typecasting, advertising, and Lassie. There’s something sinister lurking behind it all, though, and the plot gets really we
Chris
Jan 31, 2010 rated it liked it
Given a choice between books and movies, many people - myself included - will say that books are always better than movies. "You can use your imagination," we'll say, "drawing on the powers of the human mind to create things that manifestly are not real. You can decide for yourself what the scenes look like and how the characters appear, rather than have some director feed his or her vision over yours."

Despite that, however, we all still love the movies. If you gave me a novelization of Casablan
Sheila Beaumont
This send-up of the movie industry is one of my favorite Discworld books. It's filled with wonderful characters, including two canines, Gaspode the Wonder Dog and Good Boy Laddie. I've read this in print several times, and this time I enjoyed listening to the audiobook, brilliantly narrated by Nigel Planer, who sounds like a full cast performing the various roles.
Alfred Haplo
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Moving Pictures” can mean many things. Pictures that move us emotionally, stills changed so fast they are perceived to be in motion, frames of pictures moved location to location, and the title of Pratchett’s tenth DiscWorld book*. One thing for sure is this - Moving Pictures is more than meets the eye.

At a superficial level, Moving Pictures is a satire of Hollywood with its obsession for fame and fortune, where no cliche is left unscripted and every stereotype is a star in the making. Those ga
Ashley
This book was very disappointing. Usually I have no trouble retaining interest in a Terry Pratchett/Discworld novel, but this one I had to force myself to finish.

I think my problem with it is that it's too literal. What I love about Pratchett's writing most of the time is how he manages to mock things scathingly while at the same time making wonderful (and more general) loving comments about humanity. By following such a narrow path as he did in this book (with the straight on Hollywood/Holy Wo

• Terry Pratchett's Hogfather: The Illustrated Screenplay
  • Interesting Times: The Play
  • The Colour of Magic: Graphic Novel (Discworld, #1)
  • Guards! Guards!: The Play
  • Monstrous Regiment
  • Carpe Jugulum: The Play
  • Unseen Academicals: Adapted for the Stage
  • Vampires: From Dracula to Twilight: The Complete Guide to Vampire Mythology
  • The Nice and Accurate Good Omens TV Companion
  • False Value (Rivers of London, #8)
  • Guards! Guards!: The Graphic Novel
  • The Court of the Blind King (Warhammer Age of Sigmar)
  • Cerealizing America: The Unsweetened Story of American Breakfast Cereal
  • Outsmarting the Sociopath Next Door: How to Protect Yourself Against a Ruthless Manipulator
  • Conan the Barbarian, Vol. 2: The Life and Death of Conan, Book Two
  • Un parfum d'herbe coupée (French Edition)
  • Extra Extraordinary Chickens
  • The Garden Of Unearthly Delights

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, i

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Death, #1; Discworld, #4)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Reaper Man (Discworld, #11; Death, #2)