Start by marking “Ira Crumb Makes a Pretty Good Friend” as Want to Read:
Ira Crumb Makes a Pretty Good Friend

Ira Crumb Makes a Pretty Good Friend

Meet Ira Crumb. He's the new kid in town. He knows what that means: when the new school year starts, he'll play alone at recess, eat alone at lunch, and walk home alone at the end of the day. So Ira launches a whole-hearted campaign to befriend neighborhood kids before the first day. But his best-laid plans -- A sandwich stand! A dance-off! -- fall flat, and playing it coo ...more
Hardcover
Published August 15th 2017 by Owlkids

To ask other readers questions about Ira Crumb Makes a Pretty Good Friend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ira Crumb Makes a Pretty Good Friend

Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Hrab, Naseem and Illustrated by Holinaty, Josh Ira Crumb Makes a Pretty Good Friend PICTURE BOOK. Owl Kid Books, 2017. $18.95. Content: G.
Ira is an awesome kid, but he knows that it will be challenging to make friends as the new kid in his school. He comes up with a variety of ways to meet the other kids, like giving out free sandwiches and a dance off. When those don’t work and he has given up, a new and very unexpected friend speaks up. Features large bright illustrations.
This book has just da
Mc5
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book! Ira is a loveable character (I hope we see more of him) and his attempt to make friends before school starts will be a familiar story for many readers, and will certainly help with discussions about how trying too hard to make friends can backfire on you. It may also be the first time a talking sandwich steals the show. Ira Crumb Makes a Pretty Good Friend is a ton of fun for both kids and the adults reading to them ("You've got a booger in your nose cave, pal" being one o ...more
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Ira has moved to a new town and he is worried about starting a new school. He has the summer to make friends otherwise he will be eating alone, sitting alone, playing alone etc. He does not have much success as everything he tries gets messed up. When he accidentally meets Malcolm, he realizes that he knows exactly what he is going through. Malcolm was the new kid last year, and they become friends. I like the character of Ira. He could be anyone with normal childhood fears. This is a great book ...more
Liz
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
An interesting tale about overcoming the fears associated with moving to a new school. Ira Crumb knows he’s going to be “The New Kid” when school starts. So he comes up with a plan to make friends. Even though things don’t happen as he expects they will, his imaginative ideas lead to great results!

The pictures in this book are wonderful. Ira’s emotions shine through on each page. The characters in the book are a delightful mix of humans and other unique creatures.

I received an advance reader cop
Richelle Zirkle
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Young children, especially any who have had to move and switch schools and leave their friends behind, will enjoy this story about Ira. Ira tries so very hard to make friends, but ultimately Ira realizes that his best chance at a friend is the student who was in his shoes last year as the new kid.

This book has adorable illustrations that capture the tone of the story.

I received an ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Rachelle
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ira Crumb is new in town and that means he needs some new friends, but when his plans for showing what a great friend he'd make fail, he starts to feel like he'll be all alone. That is, until he meets Malcolm, someone who knows exactly where Ira's coming from.

This is the perfect book to read with your little ones, whether they're just starting school for the first time, or they've experienced a big change. As a preschool teacher, I think this is a great "first week of school" kind of story.
Desiree
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the concept of this book! Ira Crumb does everything he can possibly do to highlight his superior friend qualities. All of his attempts fail in spectacularly funny ways. Ira finds his way with a little help from a talking sandwich and someone who knows what it's like to be the new kid. Great book for kids transitioning into a new school.
Ryan
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another heart warmer. I have been the new kid many times over. This time, it's Ira’s turn. He is super worried that he will be all alone on the first day of school, so he sets out to make friends before school begins. But his ideas don’t work. Will Ira ever make friends. Fun illustrations, and a kid I can believe, this is a fun book that makes my heart happy.
Angela
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: elementary-books
Loved the illustrations! Bright and bold. I like that it talks about being the new kid at school. We get so many new students, this would be a great reminder to the others about how to treat new students.
Beth
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We've all felt that awkward, embarrassing sting of being the new kind and the crazy things we think of doing to try to make friends. So for that reason, Ira Crumb will completely win over your heart. I hope Ira Crumb has more book and friendship adventures in the future.
Jill
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is funny and quite cute. Ira is so afraid of being lonely that he tries too hard and scares all his potential friends away, with the exception of one, who may or may not be a talking sandwich.
Donna Maguire
I really enjoyed this book and gave it 4 stars - it is an ideal book for an young children who have had to start a new school or settle in to a new area after they have moved house. The images are bright, colourful, I loved the tone and pace of the story and Ira is a fab little character!
Megan - Alohamora Open a Book
Fun story about the difficulties of moving, being the new kid, and making friends.
Syntha Green
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Delightful story of moving and making new friends
A.M.
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
omg I laughed so hard this is amazing
Melanie
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
so cute!!!
Amelie
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
SO FUNNY. My 5 year old son loved it!
Casandria
Poor Ira Crumb is the new kid. He does his best to make friends, but to no avail. He discovers that being himself actually works best.
Mireille Messier
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Like Ira, we've all tried to hard to make friend and had it backfire. This is a very funny take on being the new kid with a main character that is the most pro-active friend one could ever ask for!
Tracie
Sep 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, all
Ira Crumb is determined to make a friend so he won't be lonely on the first day of school, but everything he does seems wrong.
Abigail
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Super cute. Fun illustrations.
Nikki Glassley
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A cute, funny book about making new friends who are not talking sandwiches.
Spencer Miller
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Enjoyed! This book made me laugh, and think about the difficulty someone can have making new friends. I felt encouraged to be empathetic and be a better friend, so thats pretty good writing.
Maeve
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
I personally thought the illustrations were way too busy.
Brett
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a fun way to talk to elementary schoolers about ways to make friends when you're the "new kid."
Andypants
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Charming, vibrant and often hilarious too. Ira Crumb makes a pretty GREAT book!
Krystal
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a cute insightful children's story, as it managed to explore such complex themes as making friends, problem solving, etc, in a highly engaging and compassionate manner.
Shandra
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, storytime
Very cute book about trying to make friends at a new school. Would work well in preschool storytimes.
Andréa
Sep 25, 2017 marked it as to-read
Note: I received a digital review copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley.
Bookworm's Nemesis
Jun 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Goodreads Librari...: Cover Update to Final Cover 5 197 Apr 12, 2017 04:59PM

• The Friend Ship
  • Mr. Particular: The World’s Choosiest Champion!
  • Moo Moo in a Tutu
  • The Scariest Book Ever
  • Wallpaper
  • Excellent Ed
  • Sea Monkey & Bob
  • Grandma's Tiny House: A Counting Story!
  • Everybunny Dance!