Start by marking “All the Animals Where I Live” as Want to Read:
All the Animals Where I Live

All the Animals Where I Live

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  281 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
Phil Stead takes us on a tour of all of the animals near his home.

The author used to live in the busy city where there were buses and trains, and people waiting for buses and trains.

Now he lives in the country and takes us on a tour of his home, pointing out all the animals that share his space. There are stuffed bears and quilted chickens. His dog Wednesday watches cranes
Published March 20th 2018 by Roaring Brook Press (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about All the Animals Where I Live, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All the Animals Where I Live

DaNae
There is a stillness about the Stead's work that I have always loved, but more and more I'm finding their work self-indulgent and straying from the job of engaging young readers. In it elements this is a beautiful book, but not at all riveting. More of a stream of conscience exercise with lovely drawings and soft colors.
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing

All the Animals Where I Live by Philip C. Stead is a gem of a picture book. The more I read it, the more I love it! I feel like everyone will see and feel something different each and every time they open it.

Mr. Stead shares his new country home surroundings and memories with readers animal by animal and season by season. From his dog (Wednesday), cats, and chicken quilts to wild turkeys, bears and deer. They are all in here and more! So many animals come to life in gentle, pale shades and lines
Jordan Henrichs
Mar 30, 2018 rated it liked it
If I could separate my Goodreads rating, I would, because the artwork is lovely. Typical Stead. Worth more than 5 stars. The text however, left me scratching my head a bit. Is this about animals? Or Grandma Jane? Or the seasons? I don't really know. What I do know is that this is definitely the type of book that only someone with Stead's clout could pull off.
Carrie Gelson
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, pets
Some lovely pages. Is this a book kids will relate to? Not so sure. Feel like it is a memory walk that adults will connect to more than children.
Holly
I want to live near Philip Stead and see all the animals, especially Wednesday! Stead is one of my favorite author/illustrators, and this one is my favorite so far. I love how he frames all the descriptions of Wednesday and the other animals with his memories of his Grandma Jane--the stuffed bear she gave him which he still draws "when I don't know what to draw," and the room in her house that smelled of maple syrup, and the homemade chicken blanket he slept under when he spent the night at her ...more
Hannah
ALL THE ANIMALS WHERE I LIVE is a meditative, meandering picture book journey that exalts in the smallest details. Stead's welcoming voice and innovative illustrations are as delightful and gentle as ever.
Laura Harrison
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
First off, I love Philip Stead. He is maybe number four on my list of favorite current picture book illustrator's. Only topped by Brendan Wenzel, Lane Smith and Kevin Henkes. There is good news and there is bad news in my review. The bad news is there really isn't a story. Not even a hint of one. The good news is that the illustrations are phenomenal. The best that I have ever seen in one of his books. For that reason I am giving four stars.
Debrarian
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ani, picture-book
Musings and noticings, through the eyes of the author enjoying seeing through his dog's eyes, about the animals they encounter in annual life in northern Michigan.

Tiniest of quibbles:
An eagle drops a turtle, who begins "his" long walk home... It just bugs me when everyone defaults to the male pronoun when discussing random animals. Why can't the turtle be a she? Why not simply it, to preserve the mystery and the equal likelihood?

And: the dog chases the deer. It's a game they play. Maybe. Or may
Beverly
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pbf-general
I loved the sketchy looking illustrations in ink, marker, and various printing techniques, with the color washes behind the sketches. Stead seems to be musing about the seasons and the various animals and pets that he enjoys being around, now that he lives in the country.
Traci
A sweet, beautiful memory that carries over into a new place. Author/illustrator, Philip C. Stead uses his soft artistry to show us how his memory of his Grandmother carried him to his new place where he discovered all that was there.

This is a Neal Porter Book by Roaring Brook Press.

#PB #nostalgia #memories #animals
Morgan
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Imagine being Philip C. Stead and having so much clout that you can just illustrate your stream of consciousness as you look around your northern Michigan country home and editors will beg to publish it. (Not for nothing - this was a good’n).
Amanda
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, 3420, picture-books
Awesome art. Love the print of found leaves and branches. Like how the story includes Wednesday but doesn’t become her story, per se. Really the art is what draws me in...
Peacegal
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wonderful, meditative celebration of backyard wildlife, presented in a childlike voice. The sketchbook-style illustrations are a joy to look at. Any child who needs a reminder of the wonder that awaits them away from the screen, or adult who just wants to reminisce and be reminded, will enjoy this one.
Kim
May 03, 2018 rated it liked it
The artwork was gorgeous. However the storyline did not flow.
Daphne
This book feels like the author is murmuring in your ear, trying to help you go to sleep, weaving together nonsensical yet sensical details of his life, involving his childhood teddy bear, his yard in the country, and his dog Wednesday's interesting dog days in a world much like Grandma Jane's. I like the rambly, loosely woven feel of this book - it reminds me of Grandma Jane's chicken quilt, where lasting memories are created by small, incidental things. There is power in remembering small thin ...more
Lindsey
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: dogs, kids
A reflection on nature and nostalgia that's aimed at children but will resonate with adults, possibly more than it will with kids. I like the sketchy illustrations, and of course the scrappy dog is my favorite.
Linda Atkinson
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not sure about kid appeal, but I loved this book.
Barbara
Although the meditative, conversational tone of this book seems more suited to an adult audience looking back with fondness at its own childhood than to young readers, I was touched by many of its lines and images. Clearly, the author/illustrator loves living in the country and observing the seasons and the wildlife near his home. He also seems to have a deep bond with his dog, Wednesday, who provides plenty of amusement as well. I do think there will be young readers who will relate to the rumi ...more
I like the stillness and the way the prose sort of resembles a young child's way of talking. However, this also makes the book feel a bit pointless and disjointed. This seems like more of a book for nostalgic adults than one for children.
Margie
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Once you've lived in northern Michigan, hiked through the woods, walked meadow pathways, strolled along one of the many beaches, canoed in the rivers and gazed at the night sky brimming with stars, the conveniences of life in a city downstate do not compare to the beauty one can see every single day in the tip of the mitt. Recently returning to this area has offered the opportunity to see some of Mother Nature's gorgeous displays when walking with my furry friend through the woods and along Lake ...more
M. Lauritano
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
All the Animals Where I Live is a mostly harmless personal account of remembered animals. As a picture book concept, it is quite sparse, in a way that I cannot imagine it being published without a Caldecott winning writer attached. Books about woodland animals are many, all with their own particular approach. Maybe they are educational, maybe they portray one specific animal’s point of view, maybe they have seasonal or bedtime based arcs. Any number of takes can provide a path to lush pictures a ...more
Tasha
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Stead has created another picture book that invites you into his everyday world. Filled with stories of a bear chased off my an elderly woman and a teddy bear that Stead has had his entire life, stories of maple-syrup scented blankets, a dog named Wednesday, loud cranes, a falling turtle, and much more.

There is a beautiful simplicity to the book, one that slows the reader down to look out their own windows and think about the animals that live near them. The illustrations are simple too, washed
Laura G
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Again, this book by Philip Stead is hard to categorize and hard to rate. It has the meandering style of Ideas All Around. Some pages are lovely--like the one describing Grandma Jane as a hummingbird, "flitting and buzzing and always busy, gathering fluff and knitting it into a comfortable nest". But overall, the book was a bit frustrating. I was trying to follow a story line--it's about an old woman; no, about Frederick the bear; no, about Grandma Jane; no, about Wednesday and other animals; or ...more
Linda
Philip C. Stead is a favorite, favorite author/illustrator and I have read and re-read his books. A recent favorite is "Ideas Are All Around." Now I have a new book to love, All The Animals Where I Live. In this, Stead again takes us on a journey. He's moved from the city back to a house in the country and we're introduced to all the animals around, including Wednesday, his dog, who goes along, too. There are coyotes and stuffed bears, cranes and hummingbirds. There are favorite and sweet remem ...more
Amber Webb
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Stead postures his book to be a tour of animals near where he lives now as he walks with his dog down the dirt road. But at the same time, the story is one of interconnectedness and a picture of how we all relate to one another and live within the same space, figuring out life.
Although I think it will be over early readers heads, the illustrations are incredibly beautiful with notes of realism through prints and stamps of real items throughout. This book will lead to great discussions of many d
Annie
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations in this book are so charming that I don’t need much else. The worried expressions on the dogs’ faces, the spread with the cricket, the cranes... and the owl at the end. He knows some things. You can just tell.

This is one of those books, though, that will be too quiet for a lot of kids. The text is very nice, and full of lovely observations, but there isn’t much in the way of a narrative through-line. It’s kind of like OUR ANIMAL FRIENDS AT MAPLE HILL FARM with the humor turned
mary dewley
May 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Very confusing narrative. Is the little old lady chasing the bear away the narrator? But the narrator says she has only seen a teddy bear, never a real one from her window. Is the little old lady supposed to be her Grandma Jane? This book felt torn in half. It was a dedication to Grandma Jane and then it was as if Stead remembered he was writing a book about animals and then we get seasons and maple syrup. Not very endearing or memorable.
Nikki Glassley
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book gets five stars because I love it, but I'm not sure that it works as a picture book for children. But I don't care because almost every picture book works for children and they have plenty, so this one can be for me. It rambles aimlessly, but it's somehow literary. It evokes a sense of place so strongly that I feel like I'm on the farm. It feels very much like the kind of story a well-spoken child might tell.

The illustrations, as per usual, are quiet and gorgeous.
Ina
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The story is told in a stream of consciousness style. The author talks about all the animals he, and his dog Wednesday, see around them. These range from a stuffed teddy bear that the narrator received from a beloved grandmother to the bear one of his neighbors saw from her kitchen window to the cranes and coyotes that wake Wednesday all spring and summer. The illustrations are breathtakingly beautiful. They help personalize and add emotionally to this very personal narrative.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Philip C. Stead is the author of the Caldecott Medal winning book A Sick Day for Amos McGee, also named a New York Times Best Illustrated Book of 2010 and a Publishers Weekly Best Children’s Book of 2010, illustrated by his wife, Erin E. Stead. Together with Erin, he also created Bear Has a Story to Tell, an E.B. White Read-Aloud Award honor book. Philip, also an artist, has written and illustrate ...more