Start by marking “Dude!” as Want to Read:
Dude!

Dude!

Aaron Reynolds, the author of Nerdy Birdy and Creepy Carrots! teams up with Dan Santat, the Caldecott–winning illustrator behind The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend to create the hilarious, gnarly summer adventure picture book, Dude!

Dude! You have to read this book.

It's totally about this platypus and this beaver who are friends. They want to go surfing but du
Published April 24th 2018 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Dude!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dude!

Spencer Orey
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Surfer animals make friends with a shark and eat lots of ice cream. Dude!
Calista
Basically a wordless book. This story is told only with the word Dude. The pictures are by Dan Santat and I love his artwork. These surfers have a simple story to tell. It is an effective story. My nephew isn't reading yet and he felt like he could 'read' this book. It might have been one word, but still, he gave great voice intonations and he also talked about the story. He had a blast reading it. Dude is thrown around alot at our house now.

He gave the book 5 stars.
Kelli
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really loved Carnivores, but this one left much to be desired. As usual, the illustrations were bright and fun but, really?! Dude was the only word. These two can do so much better but apparently they don’t have to because...published.
Figgy
RTC

There's not much to say about the words in this book, as there are all of two ("Dude" in its many variations, and one instance of "Splat!"), but it's in Dan Santat's illustrations that readers will come to understand what's going on here, through the facial expressions and surroundings.

Santat really does have to be one of my absolute favourite illustrators, and I will read anything and everything that he is a part of.
Gayatri
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Duuuude!!! 😎 that’s all this picture book needed. The illustrations are spot on and don’t require much text. Loved it!
Mrs. Krajewski
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Duuuude! Hilarious book, and a great one to use when teaching tone.
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Proof that the way a word is said (or read, in this case) alters its meaning. The single word of text (hint: if you've read the title, you've read the book) effectively demonstrates this concept through the font, punctuation usage, and, Dan Santat's signature illustrations. The eye-popping colorful pictures enrich the text and create an engaging environment for young readers.
Jillian Heise
So much fun! I love reading "one word" stories, and this one is sure to entertain.
Stacy Fetters
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sneaky-librarian
Dude!!! Dude!!! Duuuuudddeee!!!
A totally hilarious and bodacious read.
Dan
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Duuuuude! This book got my 6 year old laughing so hard and when we were done he made me read it again, and then he wanted to read it aloud to himself after that. Brilliant illustrations. Dude is a pretty versatile word, dude. 5 stars and Happy Shark Week Dudes!
June
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: shark and surfing requests
Maybe the lack of appeal for me is that I don't think I could pull reading this out loud off. Two animal surfers run afoul a shark and resulting adventures occur with just the use of one work and (I admit I was sick of it by the end of the story.)
Earl
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I can't wait until this fun picture book comes out so I can listen to how people will interpret it with the different voices and intonations.
Becca
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Giving this book 5 stars because 500 is not an option.
Donna
Duuuuuuuuude! This word is firmly entrenched in my vernacular thanks to Keanu Reeves, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Supernatural. An American publication featuring a surfing platypus!?! Duuuuuude.

Take one word and rely on comical facial expressions, perspective and different fonts to convey tone and meaning. Difficult concept executed magnificently. There's suspense, drama and hilarity. Visual literacy at its best. Zany, goofy mayhem. Totally bodacious, dudes.
Emily
Yep, I am way too easily amused.
Deana Metzke
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This simple picture book by Aaron Reynolds, illustrated by Dan Santat is a perfect read for young children. I explain why here on my blog: https://wp.me/p7OIsL-Vd
Barbara
3.5 for me because I liked it much more upon a second reading. Relying on one word repeated throughout the story but in different typefaces and colors, this almost wordless picture book follows the surfing adventures of a beaver and a platypus. Phrases such as "FAR OUT!" and "GNARLY" and yes, that ubiquitous "DUDE!" come to mind, of course, while watching their antics as they head out to catch the perfect wave. The facial expressions in the illustrations are hilarious with the platypus getting a ...more
Heidi
This is one of my new favorite books. After reading it to several groups of kindergartners I can safely say that this is a winning book. Aaron Reynolds and Dan Santat make for a thoroughly marvelous team. While the book only uses one word throughout (Dude!), the way it is used makes for a delightfully hilarious romp. The story makes for an awesome read aloud and could also be used to demonstrate that how a word is used determines it's meaning.

A platypus and a beaver arrive at a beach and after i
Prince William Public Library System
Dude! rocks, dudes!

In this entertaining picture book, two dudes, a platypus and a beaver, go surfing. They meet another dude, a shark. They offer him ice cream. Will they all be dudes together? The answer will provide you with plenty of enjoyment.

Dude! tells a story using only the word “dude.” Dude. “Word by Aaron Reynolds,” proclaims the cover. It’s a clever concept brought to life by the wonderful illustrations of Dan Santat. Dude! is a great choice to kick off your summer reading.

-John D.(ud
Jana
In this clever picture book, the text uses one word - dude - throughout the entire story. But that one word takes on so many different meanings and shades of meaning. There is a sweet story about friends having a terrific time at the beach together and another misunderstood shark that will have young readers smiling. This could be a great way to talk about vocabulary, and how one word can have so mean so many different things. This could also be a great mentor text for young writers to create th ...more
Ellon
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I went into this book with high expectations because I really like Dan Santat and Aarron Reynolds. I'm sad to say, I was disappointed. I did like how the book only uses one (repeated) word but tells a story. Although, if I were Reynolds, I'm not sure I would bother taking credit for the "words" in this book. I give all credit to Santat. All of the other Santat books I've read (Adventures of Beekle, Are We There Yet?, After the Fall) were better though.
Joella www.cinjoella.com
So this isn't wordless...but it is nearly wordless (three words and two of them are "dude" and "dudes" so really, lots of things happen that you have to get just from the illustrations). So good. REALLY. It is So. Good. And funny. And totally perfect for summer reading story time.
Jesse
I love this author/illustrator duo. Who knew you could create such an elaborate story with only one word? Awesome and fun!
Stacey
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is too cute holy heck. Gorgeous illustrations, super fun. Will 100% be buying this for my little nephew.
Lisa
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cute. Original.
Carol Ekster
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was hysterical and clever and awesome, especially when Dan Santat reads it aloud!
Lorryn Woodward
The art is super cute and I love the word Dude as much as the next person but that's literally the only word in the book.
Steph
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to hear Aaron Reynolds himself read this aloud at a conference I attended, and DUDE! It was awesome!

The illustrations are perfection, too!
Brenda Lower
Not completely wordless, but still lots of fun. The limited vocabulary lets kids think of their own words to go with the story. Looks like lots of fun!
Casey Girard
Having heard the author and illustrator read it, it's hard to say it was anything other than awesome.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »