Start by marking “Peter & Ernesto: A Tale of Two Sloths” as Want to Read:
Peter & Ernesto: A Tale of Two Sloths

Peter & Ernesto: A Tale of Two Sloths

(Peter & Ernesto #1)

Peter and Ernesto are sloths. Peter and Ernesto are friends. But Peter and Ernesto are nothing alike. Peter loves their tree and never wants to leave, while Ernesto loves the sky and wants to see it from every place on Earth. When Ernesto leaves to have a grand adventure, Peter stays behind and frets. The two friends grow even closer in separation, as Peter the homebody ex

Published April 10th 2018 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Peter & Ernesto, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peter & Ernesto

Erica
Peter and Ernesto are sloths and BFFs. Their favorite pastime is hanging out at the top of the tree, finding shapes in the clouds while snacking on hibiscus flowers.
One day, Ernesto realizes he loves his friend and his tree and the sky and everything else but he also knows there are more pieces of sky to see. He decides to follow his curiosity, promising Peter he'll be back soon.
Peter is a worrywart who does not like to take risks, who is comfortable with the status-quo and not long after his fr
Betsy
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
To quote the wise words of MC Scat Kat, “opposites attract”. Particularly when those opposites are best buddies. The idea of the carefree soul, untethered by earthly woes, paired with a perpetually concerned best friend, is a staple in all possible forms of entertainment. Children’s literature is no exception. At its best this kind of pairing will introduce us to characters like Frog and Toad. But Lobel, for all his charms, set a pretty high bar with that book. How likely is it that lightning of ...more
Lauren
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
My new favorite graphic novel for young readers!

Think a mix of Burt and Ernie, Finding Nemo, Mo Willems, and SLOTHS!!
Katya Vinogradova
A digital copy of this book was provided to me by First Second Books via NetGalley.

This is quite a charming comic book about the adventures of two best sloth friends, Peter and Ernesto. The friends have a great dynamic that kids can learn from. They can also see the value in following your friend to the edge of the world, even when you would rather stay on your favorite tree forever. Sure, the tree is nice and cozy, but what good is it without your best friend by your side? And of course the adv
Kris Patrick
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute friendship story.
Michele Knott
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love this earlier graphic novel. Perfect for readers who are looking for something longer, but not ready for a full graphic novel.
And it has sloths.
Erica
Mar 28, 2018 rated it liked it
A cute story that will appeal to younger children. This is a good one for the themes of friendship and bravery. The art was delightful.
Destinee Sutton
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
An adorable graphic novel about friendship, worrying, and adventure. It reminded me of an old favorite Toot & Puddle -- one friend wants to stay home, the other wants to see the world.

The only thing missing for me was jokes about how slow sloths are. I kept waiting for there to be some twist about how it was taking ages for Peter and Ernesto to get anywhere, but, alas, it didn't seem to factor in. Still, I think a good number of kids will already know that sloths are super slow and find it
Arminzerella
mg
Nov 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
Every. Single. Named. Character. Is. Male.

Normally I'm the biggest First Second fan there is, but this irritated me to no end (especially given that all animals are already mostly male in any given picture book or book for young readers).

This not only doesn't pass the Bechdel test...it couldn't even pretend to sit down to write the test.

Boo, Graham Annable; boo.
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
Peter and Ernesto enjoy cloud watching together in their favorite tree. Suddenly, Ernesto declares that he would like to see a different part of the sky and leaves, promising to return. As days pass, Peter begins to worry and tries to find Ernesto. Will Ernesto ever come back? A fun graphic novel about adventure, friendship, and sloth-lovers everywhere!

Recommended for grades 2-5. Lexile Level: 390
Reviewed by Christine Hwang, Youth and School Services, Vernon Area Public Library
Hannah
Move over Frog & Toad... here come Peter & Ernesto. Hilariously deadpan and goofily sweet, this great beginning reader graphic novel will make readers want to drop everything (except, maybe, this book) to make cloud pictures and star gaze.
Sabrina
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Ernesto is a very unusual sloth, he is not at all slow or lazy like the other animals think he is. In fact he decides he wants to see all of the sky so he goes off on an adventure, leaving poor Peter behind.
Jillian Heise
Bravery, friendship, humor, helping others, and a couple of sloths. This was too fun. A perfect early graphic novel for my transitional readers. They're going to love giggling with this one.
DaNae
A tale of friendship, courage and itchy explorer feet.
Judith
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
super cute!
Ann Haefele
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Two sloths, who are best friends, have some great travel adventures. Story is a graphic novel , told through illustrations and with text simple enough for beginner readers.
Mary Lee
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
What we won't do for our friends!! Great graphic novel for beginning readers.
Ellon
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dare I say this was actually a bit too cute?
I did enjoy the theme of friendship. I love how Peter was able to be brave thinking about his friend.
Parker Jensen
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute!
Hope Gunther
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was 😎 cool
Michelle (FabBookReviews)

Grickle creator and Oscar nominated animator and cartoonist Graham Annable debuts on the children's graphic novel scene with Peter & Ernesto: A Tale of Two Sloths. A simultaneously funny, dry and sincere read, this graphic novel is about the deep friendship between the titular two sloths, and what happens when one breaks away from their safe space and goes exploring.

[caption id="attachment_5296" align="aligncenter" width="640"] Image via Macmillan Publishers[/caption]

From the images taken fr
Benji Martin
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this one, It's funny, well-written and terrifically illustrated graphic novel about friendship and adventure.
Molly
Peter and Ernesto are best friends who are usually content to hang around their tree and cloud picture. Ernesto, though, decides he'd like to see a little more of the great big sky, so he sets off on an adventure -- an adventure that leads Peter to worry about him and set off after him! Both sloths have their own sorts of adventure in this delightful graphic novel, which is rife with deadpan, dry humor. Pretty delightful.
Earl
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Two friends are separated when one of them has wanderlust. Can they find their way back to one another?

This first in a new early chapter graphic novel series will be perfect as a read-aloud with all its silly songs and fun friendship storyline.
Alanna
Apr 11, 2018 added it
While there isn't a lot going on plot-wise, this book is a great introduction to comics for kids.
Josh
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How does a teacher reinforce the fact that sometimes we need to go outside our comfort zones to learn more? Perhaps by using sloths?

Ernesto and Peter are the odd couple of sloths. Ernesto likes to explore. Peter likes to stay at home. But both end up learning a great deal more about the world, and themselves, in this journey that takes them to encounters with a musically inclined whale, an encouraging macaw, a wise camel, some singing monkeys, a few comic crabs, and one salivating polar bear.

App
Annie
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet and funny. Evokes comparisons to Frog and Toad before Frog became a little overbearing and Toad started getting all resentful (which is not meant as a burn on the Frog and Toad books which I love deeply and with my whole heart).

Both my kids enjoyed Peter and Ernesto. My daughter (five) gave it two thumbs up. Seriously. This is how she responds when I ask her what she thinks about books. With her thumbs. My son (nine) took it to school with him the day after I shared it with him so that he
Leonard Kim
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Early on, I was concerned this might be too much like Elephant and Piggie. But this induced enough sighs of admiration that it gets the full 5 stars from me. Hopefully an award contender.
Barbara
Sloths might seem to be unlikely characters for a graphic novel adventure story, but because the two featured here are so different, the story works well. Best friends Peter and Ernesto love living in their tree and enjoying the simple things in life, but Ernesto gets the wanderlust and longs to see what else is out there. But Peter is too afraid to venture out of his leafy comfort zone. He stays home while Ernesto has several adventures and takes risks. He even makes friends with a whale, trave ...more
Graham Annable is a cartoonist and animator living in Portland, Oregon. He is the creator of Grickle, published by Alternative Comics, and one of the founders of the Hickee humor anthology (also published by Alternative Comics). Annable has created works for the television, film, video game, and comic book industries.

After graduating from Toronto's Sheridan College, where he was classically traine

Peter & Ernesto (2 books)
  • Peter  Ernesto: The Lost Sloths