Start by marking “The Prince and the Dressmaker” as Want to Read:
The Prince and the Dressmaker

The Prince and the Dressmaker

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  90,126 ratings  ·  15,413 reviews
Paris, at the dawn of the modern age:

Prince Sebastian is looking for a bride―or rather, his parents are looking for one for him. Sebastian is too busy hiding his secret life from everyone. At night he puts on daring dresses and takes Paris by storm as the fabulous Lady Crystallia―the hottest fashion icon in the world capital of fashion!

Sebastian’s secret weapon is his bril
Published February 13th 2018 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about The Prince and the Dressmaker, please sign up.
Nick Sweet For me I think its great for any age. There is no material I think that would be objectionable to a younger reader, except for a scene of drinking at …moreFor me I think its great for any age. There is no material I think that would be objectionable to a younger reader, except for a scene of drinking at a bar. But as far as language, violence, sexuality and vulgarity go, there is none. (less)

·  90,126 ratings  ·  15,413 reviews

Start your review of The Prince and the Dressmaker
Emily May
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was absolutely adorable.

I'm not exaggerating when I say books like this really do restore a little of my faith in humanity. It's a really cute story but, as a person who generally prefers "tense" and "gritty" over "cute" reads, it's not too saccharine as to be unbearable. This is a good graphic novel for readers who enjoy the occasional fun read like Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda or My Lady Jane.

The illustrations are simple and cartoonish, but still good. It suits the tone of the story,
Victoria Schwab
Absolutely charming.
Claudia Lomelí
THIS WAS SO PRECIOUS. All of the stars for it!!!
Ariel
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I just.. loved this. It was so solid. The art was beautiful.. I'll probably buy anything that Jen Wang ever releases. The story was fun and the ending made me happy and emotional. I felt like the story was a little straight forward and predictable, but not in a way that frustrated me. It felt like a fairy tale where you know the lesson, you know the moral, but you still want to hear it. ...more
Zoë
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved, loved, loved! The art style was colorful and cute and atmospheric, which is exactly what I enjoy in a graphic novel. It takes place in late 19th century France, which gives the story a slightly fairytale vibe. The characters were lovable and helped each other become the best versions of themselves. And, of course, my favorite aspect was how respectfully gender identity is discussed.

I could go on and on about what I loved, but I think you get the point.

One issue I had was that the main ch
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
I smile every time I think about this. SO GOOD!
Whitney Atkinson
This was running at a four stars for me the entire book because it was precious and supportive and the art was great.... but then the climax hit and I immediately bumped it up a star. This book was SO great and was the perfect balance of simplistic while also hitting such important topics like being gender fluid and acceptance thereof. I devoured this in less than an hour and cannot wait to buy a copy for my shelf, since this was a library copy! Definitely highly recommend for any reader of any ...more
destiny ♡ howling libraries
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-p, queer, graphics
I was so excited to read this graphic novel, and it did not disappoint in the slightest. This is honestly my favorite graphic novel I have read all year—probably in the last two years, even—and I know it is one I would reread again and again in the future. The artwork is beautiful, the story is so sweet, and I just loved every single bit of it from start to finish.

I know a lot of reviewers have said they're hesitant to call this a queer story, because Sebastian never specifically calls himself t
Sarah Andersen
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The art in this! Just stunning! The colors, composition, the flowing linework...
Meanwhile the story is modern while retaining the old-school sweetness and charm of a fairy tale (with a happy ending). Just incredible overall. Worthy of study by all illustrators and writers.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I loved it!!!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
emma
WHAAAAAAT.

Never in a million years did I expect that from this book.

Literally awesome. Beautiful art. Just fantastic stuff.

Read it read it read it.

That's all I have to say.

Bottom line: WHY HAVEN'T YOU READ THIS YET WHEN I JUST VERY POLITELY DEMANDED YOU DO SO.
Dave Schaafsma
7/6/21: Re-read for summer comics class. In this book the prince's sexual identity was (and will be) debated, but (spoiler alert, I guess) the one thing we know for sure in this book is that the prince likes to wear fabulous dresses. I see other reviewers say that he is gender-fluid, and that may be the case, but I don't know it. I maybe am not the best person to be speculating about this. but while I may at one point in my life had thought that being what was once called a "cross-dresser" indic ...more
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was exceptional! So heartwarming, and the characters were so lovable. This is definitely a story I’ll read again and again, and recommend to friends.
Melanie
this was everything and i loved it so much

Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Blog | Spotify | Twitch
Reading_ Tamishly
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Delivered more than I had anticipated 😍

This graphic novel has been one of my most anticipated reads of the year. And I am so glad that I have read and absolutely love it!!!

I am so glad I picked it up today.

It's all about acceptance, acceptance, acceptance and celebrating the uniqueness and differences.

Feeling blessed 🤗
Larry H
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Prince Sebastian is 16 years old, and his parents are pressuring him to find a wife. They keep suggesting all types of young women, princesses and other royalty from other countries. He knows he needs to be strategic to help the kingdom, but his heart isn't in it. It's not that so
Carmen
"How can someone like me marry a princess? What happens if she discovers who I really am? How could I do that to someone's daughter? How could I do that to my parents?" pg. 73

OK, so... I'm not sure where to begin in reviewing this book. I thought it was absolutely ridiculous. First I thought it was ridiculous, but maybe Wang was 'stretching things a little' in order to make a happy, fun message about dressing in drag or defying traditional gender roles or something. But there's 'stretching thing
demi. ♡
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels, lgbtq
❥ 5 / 5 stars

OMGGGGG!!! This graphic novel is so stunning and absolutely awesome! The story is cute and the main characters are lovely. Everything is just perfect.

This is my first comic book / graphic novel in the past 3 years and it doesn't disappoint me at all! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Some days I look at myself in the mirror and think, 'That's me, Prince Sebastian! I wear boy clothes and look like my father.' Other days it doesn't feel right at all. Those days I feel like I'm actually... a princess."

trigger warnings: queerphobia, being publicly forced into coming out.

representation: genderfluid MC.

This was so lovely :3
Kelsey (munnyreads)
May 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021-favorites
This graphic novel melted my heart. Absolutely charming and lovely.
daph pink ♡
Never did I expected this!
It's so beautiful .
I loved it🥰🥰🥰
Julie G ("Doctor, my eyes!"  Offline for a week)
My daughters and I enjoyed Jen Wang's Stargazing, so my sister very kindly sent a copy of the same author's The Prince and the Dressmaker for my middle child's birthday.

I wish I could just burst into bubbles here, acknowledging my sister's gift. I wish, for the author's sake, I could lavish praise onto this unusual book, too, but I'm afraid it simply confused me.

First off, why does the protagonist look exactly like the protagonist from Stargazing?? The only difference I can discern is the longer
Sara
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Prince by day, Lady Crystallia by night, Sebastian hires Frances to make him dresses so he can feel more like himself and shake off the pressures of an arranged marriage. But secrets can only stay hidden for so long when all of Paris starts to copy France’s designs, and the Lady Crystallia becomes the talk of the town.

This was absolutely adorable. The message, the pictures, the relationship between Frances and Sebastian. It put a smile on my face and made me feel all fuzzy inside. Emotional but
Katie Colson
May 15, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pride-favs
⭐4.5

This is so damn cute. I love Frances so damn much. And Sebastian deserves the world. What a beautiful drag queen. They are the sweet cinnamon rolls this world doesn't deserve but needs.

The illustrations are cozy and beautiful. The characters are poignant and relatable. The storyline is so needed. It resonates so hard with today's societal prejudices that it's astonishing that the setting is Victorian.
sarah
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-reviews, read-2020
If I had to sum up this book in one word: adorable

The art style? Adorable
The plot? Adorable
The characters? You guessed it- Adorable.

I think I should begin with my experience (or lack thereof) when it comes to graphic novels. Really the only two I have ever read are Heartstopper and R U Screwed, both of which are webcomics. I guess that is all to say that I am quite inexperienced in reading and reviewing graphic novels so be easy on me!

Compared to the two other graphic novels I have read- whi
Karima chermiti
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
well, that was super cute and adorable. My first graphic novel for 2018 and it felt like a breeze of fresh air, I loved it

description

Full review posted

Well, The Prince and the Dressmaker turned out to be the most delightful surprise of 2018 and for many reasons:

1/ To say that graphic novels aren’t my cup of tea is an understatement. I don’t like them very much and I feel like I can’t get a lot out of them. it’s not like I’m judging them without trying, it’s actually quite the opposite, I tried many tim
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

It's AAPI month and one of my goals was to try and get to some of the Asian-authored books on my Kindle that I haven't read yet. THE PRINCE AND THE DRESSMAKER has been on my radar for a while because I heard it was a super adorable graphic novel that addresses a non-binary identity in an accessible and fun way. And all those people who said that were totally right, because it DOES.

Frances is a seamstress. When she makes a risque dress fo
Joce (squibblesreads)
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was amazing! Beautiful graphic novel with whimsical, royal setting. The art style reflected this in its use of gold, olive, and muted jewel tones.

Topics include gender identity and self expression with relation to gender identity, family pressure. I loved how Frances, the dressmaker, was so skillful and talented with fashion design and was quietly confident. She wouldn’t take no for an answer and valued her self worth. I also loved the use of bright bold colors when showing her designs in c
˗ˏˋ lia ˎˊ˗
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 05-read-in-2019
“seeing you, i realized everything would be fine. because someone still loved him.”

all of you were right, and i absolutely adored this. i went into the prince and the dressmaker with no expectations at all, other than the fact that chloe loved it. and i especially didn’t expect to be so moved and cry at some parts. it was so beautiful how the graphic novel was really simplistic in terms of plot/ dialogue, yet was able to address the topics of self expression and being gender fluid and how it i
Xan
A copy was provided by the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

This is not solely a fluffy feel-good cute story, as many reviews describe it. There are lovely and sweet moments in it, but it also has other things going on that may be difficult and painful for trans and/or non-binary readers.

I enjoyed many things about this YA graphic novel. The art was spectacular, really drew me in. The pacing of the story was lovely, just a bit meditative but still compelling. I really

• Bloom
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • The Girl from the Sea
  • The Tea Dragon Society (Tea Dragon, #1)
  • Mooncakes
  • Princess Princess Ever After
  • In Real Life
  • Nimona
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Anya's Ghost
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Heartstopper: Volume Four (Heartstopper, #4)
  • This One Summer
  • The Tea Dragon Festival (Tea Dragon, #2)
  • The Witch Boy (The Witch Boy, #1)
  • Fence, Vol. 1
See top shelves…

Articles featuring this book

Author and illustrator Alice Oseman is known to her long-time fans for her young adult novels about—as she calls them—"teenage disasters,"...
“When I first learned the truth, I thought Sebastian's life would be ruined. But seeing you, I realized everything would be fine. Because someone still loved him.” 45 likes
“My whole life is other people deciding what's acceptable. When I put on a dress, I get to decide what's silly.” 44 likes