Start by marking “The League of Lasers (Star Scouts, #2)” as Want to Read:
The League of Lasers (Star Scouts, #2)

The League of Lasers

(Star Scouts #2)

Avani has found the one place in the universe where she fits in: Star Scouts. The League of Lasers is the second volume of this action-packed graphic novel series by Mike Lawrence.

During a troop meeting, a robot messenger delivers Avani some exciting news: she has been invited to join a secret society of elite scouts known as the League of Lasers. She is eager
Published March 20th 2018 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about The League of Lasers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The League of Lasers

Wendi Lee
This was so much fun! Avani is a member of the intergalactic Star Scouts. This is already pretty exciting (especially for me, who hasn't read the first book, Star Scouts, but believe me, I will!), but a robot arrives on her doorstep, informing her that she's also invited to join League of Lasers, an elite group of scouts.

Things quickly go awry, however, and Avani is forced to explore a hostile new planet with fellow scout, Pam -- someone Avani does not like very much.

What was there not to like? Adven
Lynn
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Volume 2 is just as much fun as the first. This time Avani Patel's dad gets to play a part. Love love the illustrations, the inventive aliens and Avani's space-centric but kid-oriented story.
Amy
A fun follow-up to the first entry in this series. Plenty of outer space action and humor, but I really love the story's ability to be spot-on in its depictions of the characters' struggles with friendships at this age. So true to life in how they navigate these relationships, even if they are from different planets.
Maureen Penn
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great female lead in this graphic novel. Loved the take on the scout troop idea in space. Book contains space exploration, encountering new things/people and friendship. I did not read the first book in the series but found that this title could stand on its own.
Kate
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Actual rating: 7 stars. Amazing art, coloring, and FUNNY. This is relatable to kids and kids-at-heart, especially ones who like space and adventures. Highly recommend for all ages.
Allie Vera
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Accidentally read this out of order but I enjoyed it well enough to give the first book a try!
Christine
Just a stunning graphic novel exploring friendship. I also liked that Avani’s dad plays a role in this book. Their relationship is really sweet. So glad I am adding this to my school library! It’s a great all ages read in my opinion but will probably speak most to elementary through 7th graders. For those wondering, one of the characters has two dads. This is mentioned once in the first book in the series and once in this one when he (forget his name) says he will have to consult his dads.
J.D. DeHart
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fun and quick read that consistently refuses to take itself too seriously, while at the same time insisting on being entertaining. There is also a bit of kid-appealing gross-out humor. Recommended for young readers as well as readers who enjoy graphic novels and science fiction.

Likeable characters, strange creatures, and action are all featured here. Highly recommended for a wide span of readers.
Lionheart
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rated 5 stars!
Ages 11/12+
Misty
This was fantastic. I haven't read the first in the series, but I definitely intend to work my way backwards and pick it up, because this was just enjoyable through and through. My one complaint is that the transitions are very jumpy, which I think was intentional -- like a movie jump-cut for effect, meant to be jarring and normally funny or provide contrast with the scene before -- but it made it slightly confusing, or made it just feel like something was missing on occasion. But still, really ...more
Kristin
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LEAGUE OF LASERS, the sequel to STAR SCOUTS is not only fun, it builds on the characters and situations that were so enjoyable in the first book. The adventures and interactions are more mature and serious, and the relationships are wonderfully nuanced and relatable. The illustrations are colorful, and there is a whole new world of flora and fauna and inhabitants to admire. Oh, and Pam's hair is absolutely amazing!
Lauren
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-blog
During a routine troop meeting Avani receives an invitation to join the Star Scouts’ elite secret society, the League of Lasers. It’s the chance of a life time and all she has to do to join them is survive a minor initiation challenge. It wouldn’t be a big deal if she was just trapped on a planet full of hostile frog aliens with no breathable air and dwindling supplies, but the worst possible thing had to happen and land her stranded with her worst enemy, Pam. How will she make it a full week? ...more
Becky B
Avani is invited to join the exclusive Star Scouts club, the League of Lasers. Membership requires passing an ordeal…but on the way to their ordeal trials Avani and Pam’s spaceships have an accident and they are stranded on an unknown planet in an area where communications are limited. Can these two enemies work together to survive and get rescued? Meanwhile, Avani’s troop has to break it to Mr Patel why his daughter has suddenly disappeared.

Another fun adventure with Avani and gang.
Serenity
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I received a free review copy of this book from the publisher through my district library services*

This is a fun follow up to the first Star Scouts graphic novel. This time, Avani and Pam are stranded on an inhospitable planet and must work together to escape. Can they learn to work together? Can Mabel get over her jealousy of Avani's other friends to help in the rescue mission? It's an interesting adventure with many secondary characters. Very cute, and I think it will appeal to ki
Justin
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic, kids
As fun as the first volume, with the added bonus of resolving the first's only real flaw by focusing on the "bully" and flipping Avani's relationship with her on its head. Things get a little rushed plot-wise, but it's more than made up for by the absolutely charming story and artwork. Definitely a good choice for middle-grade comic readers.
Jessica Haider
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
The 2nd installment in the Star Scouts series. My son is eagerly awaiting a follow-up (fingers crossed that there will be one!)

One of his favorite parts was the multi-tool used by the scouts. He loved seeing all the different tools that were available in that one device.
Kim
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this one more than the first book. There was a bit more to the story and new characters that I liked. I would continue reading this series.
Jenni
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amanda
I liked this even more than the first one!
Isaac Capistrant
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Mike Lawrence's work! This book is funny and creative! Can't wait for #3!
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
Intrepid Star Scout Avani Patel is back . . . and lost in space . . . with her methane-breathing nemesis as her ally.
Gail
The second book did not disappoint! Our house enjoyed this one even more than the first.

Can't wait for more in this series! Great characters, enough humor for kids, wonderful illustrations.
emyrose8
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book is SO GOOD!!! I loved it even more than the first book! There is plenty of action and suspense, but also literal lol moments too. And can I just say Pam’s hair is gorgeous? I can’t wait to read book three!
Chris
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you were thinking the Star Scouts series couldn't possibly maintain the same level of fun and originality that made the first book soar, think again! Writer/artist Mike Lawrence uses a dazzling color palette to enhance his gorgeous artwork—all at the service of a story that's so good and entertaining, I'm truly jealous! Why can't all artists be terrible writers so that writers who can't draw (like, um, me) will always be necessary?! It's just not fair.

And I'd throw a horrible tantrum, except
Andréa
Note: I received a digital review copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley.
Travis
I liked this book more than the first one. Not enough to bump it up a star, but it is a more solidly written work. Less scatological humor, more character development. Also, I like the nods to actual science, like the revelation that on a world with a methane atmosphere, the temperature would be insanely cold, and everything that looks like water would actually be liquid ethane or methane. But of course then this nod to real-world science is immediately violated by the claim that Avani's helmet ...more
Barbara
Avani and her fellow Star Scouts really get each other, and at long last, she seems to have found her tribe. But when she is summoned to join the League of Lasers, she leaves them all behind and faces a tough initiation rite. As it turns out, she and her nemesis, Pam, are stranded on a planet with a methane atmosphere, and they face inhabitants who are not friendly toward aliens. With odd, frog-like creatures everywhere, the two enemies have to put their dislike behind themselves and band togeth ...more
Sam
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Huge thank you to First Second for this ARC!

Back in the Spring I was invited to do a blog tour showcasing strong females in comics, and somehow I missed out on including Star Scouts. Sadly, I hadn't read the first volume of this, and truthfully that might be why I liked, but didn't love this.

I will say, I LOVED the designs of the space aliens in this book. They were colourful, quirky and so cute looking! I thought the characters were pretty engaging as well, especially our heroine, Ava
Dakota Morgan
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
The first Star Scouts was a fun fish-out-of-water adventure, but with volume two, we've already reached cliche territory. Avani is invited to join the League of Lasers, some sort of secret society within the Star Scouts. But before she can join, she must pass an initiation trial where she's stuck with her arch-nemesis, Pam, on a hostile planet. Naturally, she must befriend Pam to make it out alive. Yay friendship!

The hostile planet isn't all that hostile. It's pretty clear Avani and
Pam
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grades
Graphic Novel for middle grades
Second book in the Star Scouts series. This time Avani and Pam are stranded on a planet after their crafts crash land. They have to work together to get off the planet and return to their base. With help from a young boy and a scientist, they borrow a rocket and are found by their friends. The book ends with one more Star Scout recruit.

• Red's Planet (Red's Planet #1)
  • Sanity & Tallulah
  • Monsters Beware! (Chronicles of Claudette, #3)
  • The Cobalt Prince (5 Worlds, #2)
  • CatStronauts: Robot Rescue
  • One Trick Pony
  • Mighty Jack and the Goblin King (Mighty Jack, #2)
  • Waking the Monsters
  • The Thief and the Sword (Cleopatra in Space, #2)
  • Paths & Portals (Secret Coders, #2)
  • The Divided Earth (The Nameless City, #3)
  • The Time Museum (Time Museum, #1)
  • The City on the Other Side
  • Cucumber Quest: The Doughnut Kingdom (Cucumber Quest, #1)
  • Mal and Chad: Food Fight! (Mal and Chad, #2)
  • Frenzy
  • Unicorn vs. Goblins (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #3)
Mike always wanted to be a superhero and an artist when he grew up. While he never developed super powers, he did become an artist after being exposed to gamma radiation at the University of Oregon.

Star Scouts (3 books)
  • Star Scouts
  • The Invasion of the Scuttlebots (Star Scouts, #3)