Start by marking “Summer Stock” as Want to Read:
Summer Stock

Summer Stock

Tabloid scandals have driven TV star Ryan Hertzog to North Carolina’s Outer Banks, where he’s hiding out doing summer stock at his cousin’s seaside theater. When a hookup with local handyman Trey Donovan results in Ryan being photographed butt naked, he vows to keep his pants on and his hands off Trey. How was he supposed to know Trey would turn out to be the summer stock ...more
Published May 15th 2017 by Riptide Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Summer Stock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer Stock

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Review deleted. This author is a bully and a liar, and I cannot support her work.
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
Finally found a book to get me out of my reading slump.

This was just what I needed. A nice easy read. Likable MCs. Some good steam. Low angst and drama.

Trey had the foot in mouth thing going on a few times but the MCs acted like adults. They talked, they apologized. They moved on.

I was afraid Ali and West would bring drama to the story, but thankfully things never went there.

Definitely a recommended read.

ARC kindly provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***3.75 Stars***

"There is no script. You don't get to rehearse being in love."

Trey and Ryan are two guys in the process of finding their place in the world and re-discovering themselves.

Trey has survived an abusive marriage (barely making it out alive) and is working on dealing with his PTSD, along with some self-esteem issues.

Ryan is an up and coming actor known for being a party boy. He's become so accustomed to filling that role that he's not sure how to be himself anymore. With his bes
Alice
I wanted to comment on something that was in the first few chapters (e.g. in the excerpt up on Riptide's website). It's perhaps a small thing, but it's been bugging me ever since I read it.

It's this: Mason, a side character, is asexual (unclear what his romantic orientation is), and he ends up making a biphobic comment toward Ryan (denying the existence of bisexuality).

First of all, I found what he said to be highly unrealistic. Asexuality is so little understood by the general population that m
Mónica BQ
I hadn't liked this book originally, but now I don't even like that I bought it. Because of reasons. Santino Hassell related reasons.

Original everything under a spoiler tag because of GR reasons.

(view spoiler)
haletostilinski
Ahhh, this book was wonderful! Not sure why it has such a low rating, honestly, which is another reason why you usually shouldn't - 0r shouldn't always, at least - trust the overall majority of reviews, because you might not end up agreeing.

Which I didn't, because I loved Ryan and Trey together, they were not only hot together, but sweet, and this was well written with well written character and a well written plot. I mean, this kept me hooked throughout and I loved seeing the developing relati
CrabbyPatty
Hollywood up-and-comer Ryan grew up in Banker's Shoals on North Carolina's scenic Outer Banks and is back doing summer stock in his cousin's theater with strict orders from his agent to stay out of the tabloids. No problem ... until a night of jalapeño margaritas with a hot townie named Trey ends with Ryan trapped outside Trey's front door ... with no pants. Cue the paparazzi and the headline Hollywood Playboy [...] Caught Streaking in Banker’s Shoals!

Trey is slowly recovering from his ex-husban
Sandra
4.5 stars!

Vanessa North has gone and done it again. With Summer Stock, she's back with a lovely romance between a rumored bad boy Hollywood actor and a North Carolina low country handyman who meet each other during a summer of building stage sets and acting for a local Shakespeare company owned by the former's cousin and the latter's friend.

Ryan Hertzog, Hollywood star, has returned to North Caroline for the summer, told to lay low by his publicist and avoid any further scandals. His rumored re
Adam

Facing scandal and the possible end of his Hollywood career, Ryan Hertzog’s exiled to his cousin’s seaside theatre in North Carolina for the summer. Though he isn’t too happy about it at first, he soon realizes that getting back to his roots may be just what he needs.

Ryan’s lonely, even more so now that his best friend, Ali, is on the other side of the country. Having to keep his bisexuality under wraps makes it difficult to have lasting relationships.

Trey Donovan, a summer stock set b
Martin
Jun 05, 2017 marked it as abandoned
Too bad. I had high hopes for this story, but I ended up not liking it at all. Not even Trey is able to save this mess for me.

It seems that thanks to Ryan, actors are now also on my list of least favorite MCs, right next to millionaires...

Thanks, Ryan...

DNF'd at 30%. No rating.
Jessica Alcazar
Let me share with you what was the greatest aspect of this book, imo. Vanessa North gave us a realistic romance story between two people who are a little bit f’d up in their own way. Two people who make mistakes. Two people who say the wrong things. Two people who are far from perfect. Two people who have an insta-connection that unfolds into something much deeper and meaningful as they live their lives. It was real and it was relatable.

Ryan Hertzog is an actor with a really bad image problem. H
ren
I got an e-ARC of this book through Netgalley.

(I'm not the only one who finds this cover hideous, am I? It's just so corny, ugh).

I don't remember reading anything by Vanessa North before, but I'm really glad I requested this book on Netgalley. Summer Stock was a fun, quick read. The writing was right up my alley and the characters were well developed and interesting. I especially liked how North dealt with Trey's PSTD and I loved Ryan and Ali's relationship. Friendship between men & women ar
Truuss
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, m-m
3,5 to 4
Trey and Ryan
Ryan a tv star Trey a handyman
When Ryan opens his eyes he can't remember a thing about last night. Beside him lies a beautiful man in deep sleep and some tiny memories rise up....

When he leaves the bedroom, outside there is a giant dog eating his underwear Ryan scare to death by dogs runs outside and there he stands butt naked and face to face with the paparazzi.

He knocks on the door and when Trey opens the door he throws the jeans in Ryan's face and close is again with an
Calila
Cute fluffy read. I loved this. It made me smile. Ryan was great and just what Trey needed to shake up his life a little (in a good way). And Trey was incredibly sweet and just what Ryan needed to ground him. They both help each other overcome their insecurities (though I wish Ryan had stuck up for himself a little more with people). I liked all the supporting characters. There wasn't a bad one in the bunch.
Nichole (DirrtyH)
My loan ended and I was only at around 25%. It just didn't grab me. I didn't care about the characters and I don't even really know what the story was supposed to be. Boring.
Ky
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a light-hearted, low angst, perfect-for-summer story.

The MCs are both trying to work through some things in their lives so they can leave the past behind and create a better future fot themselves. They have been through a lot and each comes with some baggage, but still the story manages to remain light and fun.

Trey was in an abusive relationship for years and, after a year and a half, he still tries to learn how to manage his panic attacks and to live without being scared all the time.
Apolishedreader
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, contemporary
The quick, beach read for the summer.
Summer Stock is a story about two guys who meet right as they are trying to figure out who they are. Things have changed for both of them in profound ways.
Trey is dealing with the aftermath of an abusive marriage. Ryan finds himself at loose ends, his career in jeopardy, his best friend is out of touch and he is back in his hometown trying to lay low from the media. Which somehow always finds him in compromising positions.
As they get to know each other, they
J.C. Long
May 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
I...I had issues with this one. For me the story just...it didn't seem to sit with me, I don't know. None of the characters were likeable, like at all. I didn't see any redeeming qualities in Ryan. None whatsoever. Trey, I don't know, he seems like the poster boy for "falls into unhealthy relationship and thinks its love". For me thats what this felt like. It felt like an unhealthy relationship being passed off as romantic and great. Didn't feel it.

Also, there's an uncomfortable level of acephob
Julie   (*Happily Ever Chapter*)

Ryan is an actor who got caught up in a scandal with his best friend Ali, whom everyone thinks he is in a relationship with. To escape the paparazzi he decides to head to his hometown in North Carolina and act at the local theater his cousin co-owns. While he is in town he has a drunken hookup, with a man named Trey, that he finds out works at the theater. Trey is still healing emotionally from an abusive marriage and suffers from panic attacks. They have a lot of chemistry together, an
Don Bradshaw
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: artists, romance
Not bad for a light, beach read.
Leah
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

SUMMARY:

Exiled home to North Carolina for the summer to work on fixing his "party playboy" image, Ryan anticipates a slow summer in the home he left behind doing summer stock in the local theater. He doesn't anticipate meeting a handsome townie he can't resist.

---------

REVIEW:

I'm very torn on how to rate this book, because while I had some issues, I did end up liking the story and characters overall. This novel is like a mix of a
Jay
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kebb, mm-romance
Summer Stock by Vanessa North is a relatively mellow, often humorous, summertime fling that builds into so much more. Both our guys have “decorative” pasts and during this summer they grow, heal, and mature - together.

The story unfolds as Ryan Hertzog, aka Ryan Hart, faces scandals that could end his acting career. Banished back to his roots in North Carolina he is lying low for the summer at his cousin’s summer stock theater.

Summer stock set-builder/handyman Trey Donovan has gotten out of an a
Joyfully Jay
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: veronica
A Joyfully Jay review.

There is a lot going on, and yet I never felt confused. Ryan and Trey develop a sweet attraction, but Ryan keeps everything on the down low, at first. It’s a giant closet snafu, or two, with these guys. I loved how Ryan continued to mature and consider others before his own needs. He’s not a bad guy, but he is short sighted and occasionally oblivious. Ferdinand, Trey’s giant dog, was such a great companion, and there’s a lot of humor that comes from his shenaniga
Christi Snow
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
My Review:
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The two main characters have some pretty significant baggage, but the book stays feeling light and happy. It was a book that made me happier for having read it.

The book takes place in a tourist town in the Outer Banks of NC. Ryan grew up there, performing in the Summer Stock performances of the Shakespearean theater. And now after some nominal success in Hollywood he's back, trying to recoup after a series of scandals. He's reeling and needs to figure o
Anita
Lovely, sweet sometimes humorous story about Trey and Ryan (Bryan) who meet when Ryan is in North Carolina to perform in summer stock at Shakespeare by the Sea theater. Ryan is actually a famous actor whose reputation is somewhat in tatters after his exploits with his best friend Ali, who is in rehab. Ryan grew up in NC and it's his cousin who helps him hide, so to speak, while acting at Shakespeare by the Sea. I really liked the depth of backstory for each character. There was so much going on ...more
Ash
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Yet another sweet, steamy, low-angst read by Vanessa North. Trey and Ryan each start the book with baggage - Trey is a domestic abuse survivor struggling with panic attacks and flashbacks. Ryan's a Hollywood actor trying to stay out of the limelight after a trail of bad press. What was supposed to be a drunken one night stand turns into more when the guys keep running into each other.

Summer Stock touches on some pretty heavy topics - domestic violence, substance abuse, anxiety disorder and PTSD,
Alisa
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was lovely. Ryan is a fairly famous Hollywood actor who has seen his fair share of the tabloids recently. His manager has sent him home to take a break and stay out of the limelight for awhile. He ends up working for the Shakespeare summer stock company that his cousin owns. While there he meets Trey, a local who is working on the set production. The two men get off to a bad start with each other but quickly realize they're attracted to each other and start dating.

There are a few big issues
Earlyn
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trey and Ryan

Pleased with this story after reading a few I want to forget.
Ryan is a Hollywood star laying low in his home town. After a few bad choices.

Trey is a movie set builder, with a whole lot of baggage. His ex-husband beat and abused him leaving him for dead.
They meet in a bar, but both of them had a bit too much.
Of course the next morning was uneasy.
They meet again, against all odds they form a friendship. Which turns out to be with benefits.
Being together they both found strength in eac
Lisa
Back home in North Carloina after brush with the papparazzi, Ryan is headlining the summer Shakespeare by the Sea festival.
There he meets one night, Trey, a man damaged by an abusive ex husband. Gradually the two get to know each other.
I couldnt decide if Ryan was just oberly sensitive, I don't think what Trey said were bad things.
Loved the hose of secondary characters in the book.
Some angst but at least things cleared up quickly.
Lauren (Shooting Stars Mag) Becker
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtqia
This is the second book I've read by Vanessa North and I can't wait for more. I loved Summer Stock and I thought Ryan and Trey were really good for each other. I also thought the author handled the topic of domestic abuse in a gay romance well(ex-husband of Trey - this is not a spoiler!). I would recommend!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• New Heights
  • One Under (Porthkennack, #9)
  • The Love Song of Sawyer Bell (Tour Dates, #1)
  • House of Cards (Porthkennack, #4)
  • Back to You
  • Straight Shooter (Rear Entrance Video, #3)
  • Whiteout (Seasons of Love, #1)
  • No Small Parts (Bluewater Bay, #16)
  • On the Clock (Market Garden, #8)
  • Patchwork Paradise
  • Sightlines (The Community, #3)
  • Pansies (Spires Universe)
  • Relationship Status (Ethan & Wyatt, #3)
  • Darkest Night (Wired & Dangerous, #2)
  • Embers (Common Law, #2)
  • Freckles
  • Undue Influence: A Persuasion Retelling
Author of over a dozen novels, novellas, and short stories, Vanessa North delights in giving happy-ever-afters to characters who don’t think they deserve them. Relentless curiosity led her to take up knitting and run a few marathons “just to see if she could.” She started writing for the same reason. Her very patient husband pretends not to notice when her hobbies take over the house. Living and w ...more