Start by marking “The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)” as Want to Read:
The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)

The Light Fantastic

(Discworld #2)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  131,467 ratings  ·  3,795 reviews
In The Light Fantastic only one individual can save the world from a disastrous collision. Unfortunately, the hero happens to be the singularly inept wizard Rincewind, who was last seen falling off the edge of the world...
Mass Market Paperback, 277 pages
Published February 2nd 2000 by HarperTorch (first published June 2nd 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Light Fantastic, please sign up.
Margot Hayes I have read Terry's books in the haphazard fashion in which I found them at second hand shops, libraries and stores. It had no effect on my enjoyment.…moreI have read Terry's books in the haphazard fashion in which I found them at second hand shops, libraries and stores. It had no effect on my enjoyment. I now own them all. Read whatever you can get!
(less)

·  131,467 ratings  ·  3,795 reviews

Start your review of The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
Mario the lone bookwolf
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pratchett-terry
Some timid, rare Sci-Fi buds spring in the, unofficially second half, of the tour de force introduction into the settings of the Discworld, including multi dimensions, human sacrifice, possession, lynch mobs, and the apocalypse.

I do tend to ask myself how it would have been if Pratchett would have dealt with more sci-fi concepts instead of focusing on fantasy and society, and the whole multi dimension idea gives a tiny glimpse at what could have been. I´ll keep waiting for an author who might co
Lyn
Nov 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Reading Sir Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series makes me smile. Because of his writing I invented the "Smile-O-meter" which measures smiles per book. Pratchett always scores high.

Three years after Terry Pratchett published The Color of Magic, the first Discworld book, he published the second, The Light Fantastic, having decided convincingly that this was a worthwhile project.

Though the action in The Light Fantastic takes over immediately following the events in the first book, Rincewind has falle
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Buddy read with my lovely friend, Choko 😘

Omg! We had so much fun with this book!! I loved it so much!! Me and Choko plan on reading them all and I’m just thrilled! These characters crack me up and I love them!!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾

Adrian
Review to follow tomorrow, but tell me why have I waited so long to re-read the Discworld books. 😢😳

And the honest answer is, well for a while I didn't have a copy of any Discworld novel, due to the fact that (as I think I've mentioned before (oh no am I getting so old I'm repeating myself ?) ) I lost so so so many books in one of my house moves, Discworld novels amongst them. And then somehow I forgot just how good the books were.

So The Light Fantastic picks up where The Colour of Magic left off
Klaus
Jan 20, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
19/25 (76%) 4 stars.
Is it weird that DEATH is now one of my favourite characters?
description
My entry into Pratchett's Discworld novels was rather disappointing: The Colour of Magic was too lackluster for me, too crazy, too all over the place. The second volume makes it much better and shines with a clear plot structure, fine absurdism and wonderful play with stereotypes and tropes. Pratchett's Discworld is hereby publicly declared my major project for the current quarter of the year! Slight weaknesses betw
Bradley
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2017-shelf
Re-read with buddies!

I'm still very much enjoying these early Pratchett books, especially in mind that I'll be seeing a *lot* more of these folks in the near future. And even if I'll mainly be focused on folks I haven't seen yet, anyway, I'm still enjoying what may as well be an overview primer of the whole Discworld universe.

That being said, I think Rincewind is given a bad rap in the series. I love the hell out of him. He's the ultimate bumbling idiot under the geas of a penultimate Eighth Spe
Kevin Kuhn
Feb 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
“The sun rose slowly as if it wasn’t sure it was worth all the effort.”

If you follow my reviews, you already know that I’m a sucker for English humor. I adore the sarcasm, wit, innuendo, and self-depreciation that the English apply with such skill. And the very English Sir Terry Pratchett is inventive, irreverent, ingenious, and imaginative as indicated! Before I read my first Pratchett novel, I did a little research. The advice I found was to start with “Guards, Guards,” followed by “The Light
Helen 2.0
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I adore Terry Pratchett. I don't know how to elaborate on that so I'll just share some of my favorite moments in Light Fantastic.

Snarky social commentary:
She is there, down below the mines and sea ooze and fake fossil bones put there by a Creator with nothing better to do than upset archaeologists and give them silly ideas.
Not for the first time she reflected that there were many drawbacks to being a swordswoman, not the least of which was that men didn't take you seriously until you'd act
Phrynne
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Put two of my favourite Discworld characters,the Luggage and Death, into the same book and I am obviously going to be happy! This was a reread of this book which I read the first time many years ago. Pratchett obviously improved his writing as the series progressed and his books became more sophisticated, but these early works are still a delight. I love the humour, the characters, the story and the sheer imagination of the man.
The world is poorer without him but thank goodness he left us so man
Calista
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Absurdism Fans/discworld fans
Death made a great appearance in this story. Small, but spot on. This is absurdism at its best.

I enjoy The Color of Magic, but it was a slow read. It didn't hook me completely into the series, but I did know that I wanted more of this. I thought this story was fantastic. I know it's only the 2nd one, but this story was great. It's so funny and punny.

We see Rincewind hanging over the rim of the discworld. I mean this whole story is so great. Then we find out that the great turtle is heading towar
Jamie
Aug 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I'm pretty sure people have told me about Pratchett and his Diskworld series before, usually working in the phrase "He's the Douglas Adams of fantasy" into the description. But the problem was that I always felt that I had had enough of Adams after the third Hithiker's Guide to the Galaxy book, and whenever I scanned Pratchett's section in the bookstore I was immediately put off by not knowing where to start reading among the approximately five hundred thousand Diskworld books. I'm glad I finall ...more
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
"You still love Terry Pratchett, after all these years?"
"Always."

- Gandalf, Return of the Jedi.

Jokes aside, my teen years were marked by edginess, heavy metal, nihilism and Terry Pratchett. I think the latter was never a phase; he is an author that will always be in my heart and in my head, providing bellyache-inducing laughs whenever Death has an identity crisis (which is always) or when Nanny Ogg is trying to explain to her seemingly infinite children who their real fathers are(and lying throu
Lori
Dec 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, reviewed
I'm late to the Discworld party but I'm not leaving. Pratchett's writing is stealthily brilliant, the world-building is already remarkable with over forty to go, and it's often quite funny. I've been in a reading slump; in different times I'd have devoured this. No matter, when I could disappear in its pages I was entertained, absorbed and happy. I finished and bought the next two; joy has been in short supply for many of us and when I can concentrate and not lose focus to the constant incoming ...more
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
"Inside every sane person, there's a madman struggling to get out. That's what I've always thought. No one goes mad quicker than a totally sane person."

The second installment in the Discworld series is a bigger, funnier delight. One heck of a Laugh Out Loud read.

Something I consider very special in Sir Terry Pratchett's works is that many authors can pull off a joke every once in a while in their stories but Mr Pratchett managed to keep the whole thing comical, while at the time satirical. Not
Gary
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
This book was every bit as fun as the last- maybe more so. Since this is number two in series order, I am getting a feel for where the author was at the point in time it was written. The character development seems more vivid. Rincewind, the Luggage, the Druid sacrifice girl, and the over the hill barbarian fighter are characters that will live with me long after this series is done.
This story has more of a quest feel to it than the last one did. It definitely builds to a strong climax. In order
Tim
Aug 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Another excellent Discworld adventure from the late Sir Pratchett. All that was missing in my judgement was more inspiration and positivity by the main characters 6 of 10 stars
Trish
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars (yes, I actually liked the first one a bit better)

"The important thing about having lots of things to remember is that you've got to go somewhere afterward where you can remember them, you see? You've got to stop. You haven't really been anywhere until you've got back home."

Thus, this second book in the Discworld series is about the continued adventure of Twoflower, the very first tourist, and Rincewind, the failed wiz(z)ard with only one spell in his head.
We get to know more about tha
Choko
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, humor
Awesome!!!

What can I say, which has not been said about the brilliant Terry Pratchett? He is still the best at bringing humor to absurd Fantasy, and we as readers just have to buckle up for the ride! I am happy to be reading the series with my friend Mel, and the shared joy of following our reluctant heroes through the Diskworld, makes the experience even more cherished! Highly recommend to all😉
Rob
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Executive Summary: I enjoyed this one a lot more than The Color of Magic, and it made me glad I read that book first rather than starting with one of the later in the series.

Full Review
A moment of silence for the passing of a great man.

It's a shame it took the passing of Terry Pratchett for me to give this series a second chance. I've had numerous people tell me how much I'd like it. It was recommended again to me when I said I was in a funk and wanted something light and fun just a few days
Lindsay
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The story picks up where the first one left off, with Rincewind, Twoflower and the Luggage in dire peril. They're mysteriously saved and plonked down in the middle of a magical forest. Meanwhile an ominous red star has appeared in the sky of the disk and it appears to be growing each night. The Wizards of Unseen University want to read the Octavo to save the Disc, but Rincewind still has one of the Eight spells stuck in his head, so the hunt for the wizard is on.

I have no idea how many times I'v
Kerri
Mar 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: most-loved
RJ - Slayer of Trolls
Laurel and Hardy. Riggs and Murtaugh. Oscar and Felix. And continuing the grand tradition, the Discworld's own Rincewind and Twoflower. This time the story centers around the Octavo and the 8th spell lodged in Rincewind's head as Discworld plunges towards a fiery red star that may spell doom for the entire planet. Lovecraftian influences are prominent in the early and late goings, although most of the book is a lighthearted slapstick parody of the fantasy genre. The story often appears direction ...more
Qt
Dec 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I liked this one even more than the first book of the series! I thought it was hilarious, and I found the storyline easier to follow.
There were a couple times where I was a bit confused, but I really enjoyed it and thought it was funny and exciting, with a thrilling ending.
Manny
Feb 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Several of the other reviewers have singled out for special praise the Xena parody with the more appropriately dressed warrior princess. She was indeed very fine, but my personal favorite was the bit where the Stonehenge-type astronomical ritual unexpectedly develops a glitch. "Looks like software incompatibility!" says the know-it-all Neolithic geek. "The Spiral Chant doesn't work on concentric circles!"

And, while we're on rocks, I also loved the trolls, harking back to their glory days in earl
BrokenTune
Jun 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
So, that's how Rincewind ended up with the Luggage! Right,.....

I have been wondering about this for years. Now I know.

There is no doubt that Terry Pratchett was a master at snarky humor and fantastic world building. No doubt at all. Yet, it takes me forever to get through some his books because his adventures often end up going off in tangents...and I'm not drawn into the Discworld universe enough to necessarily want to follow those side-stories that may or may not become relevant in a later boo
TL
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites

I enjoyed this more than the first book (eve though I do like that one), the pacing was better and the characters more "there" and comfortable in their own skins.

It seems/feels to me Mr. Pratchett hit his stride and had more fun writing this one (I could be wrong)... We get to see more of Rincewind's personality in here and he comes into his own some more.

Twoflower, gotta love him :)

Cohen and Bethan were fun to know, wish they would have had a bigger part though. Cohen was pretty spry for his
Celise
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The important thing about having lots of things to remember is that you've got to go somewhere afterwards where you can remember them, you see? You've got to stop. You haven't really been anywhere until you've got back home."

The Discworld is a Disc sitting on the backs of four elephants, standing on the shell of a giant turtle that is slowly swimming it's way through Space...

And as befits a world so ridiculous, it is filled with an array of equally ridiculous and loveable characters, inclu
Zitong Ren
Mar 11, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, fantasy, humour
I really like don't know how to properly review this book. These Discworld books are really more absurd than anything I ever read before and while I think they are lots of fun, I honestly can't figure what is going on half the time. It was slightly difficult to figure out was was supposed to be happening at the start, but it settled in nicely after a while. I definitely will continue on with the series, though I don't know if I will ever get to all the books, and even if I do, it will be several ...more
Mattia Ravasi
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Video review
Featured in my Top 20 Books I Read in 2017

So good it's unfair - there's a joke every three words and it's still thrilling, and occasionally heartbreaking. Surprinsingly better than The Colour of Magic.
Mike (the Paladin)
Dec 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
If you read The Color of Magic, you most probably got this book as the the one preceding it (the aforementioned The Color of Magic) ended with Rincewind falling off the edge of the Discworld.... talk about a "cliff-hanger ending". In this one we'll go from there to what could be the end of the Discworld itself and possibly, well everything else. It all depends on Rincewind....scary thought that.

"Synopsisizers" (I believe I just made that word up, so bear with me, please) anyway, "the people who

• The Truth
  • So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #4)
  • Life, the Universe and Everything (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #3)
  • The Colour of Magic: Graphic Novel (Discworld, #1)
  • The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #2)
  • Mostly Harmless (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #5)
  • Rhythm of War (The Stormlight Archive, #4)
  • The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (Dirk Gently, #2)
  • Dark Days of the After (Dark Days of the After #1)
  • The Tombs of Atuan (Earthsea Cycle, #2)
  • Shadow Fall (Shadow Fall, #1)
  • The Farthest Shore (Earthsea Cycle, #3)
  • Bash Pocket Reference: Help for Power Users and Sys Admins
  • Brainwalker
  • City of the Dead (The Alchemist,#1)
  • Dawnshard (The Stormlight Archive, #3.5)

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, i

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)
  • Reaper Man (Discworld, #11; Death, #2)